Quantcast

» «
Photo

Rated M for Mature… Do You Agree?

232 replies to this topic

Poll: Rated M for Mature… Do You Agree? (381 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree or disagree that GTA5&O should be rated M for mature?

1. Agree (343 votes [90.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.03%

2. Disagree (29 votes [7.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.61%

3. Unsure (9 votes [2.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.36%

Do you agree or disagree that kids under 17 should NOT play GTA5&O?

1. Agree (195 votes [51.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.18%

2. Disagree (128 votes [33.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.60%

3. Unsure (58 votes [15.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

Do you agree or disagree that parents are responsible for making this decision for their child?

1. Agree (324 votes [85.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.04%

2. Disagree (29 votes [7.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.61%

3. Unsure (28 votes [7.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Jenkiiii
  • Jenkiiii

Looking Good In The Hood

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

I'm feeling around in the dark a bit here... but what worries me about kids playing GTA online is the people they come into contact with.

The content is M for mature, sure, but kids talk about this at school and bring up anything they want to on their mobile phones anyway, so it's not that, but what they don't do is swagger around with mature adults who have a real life experience that is completely different to their own.

It worries me that one of my boys could be gang-bullied online, subject to abuse, taunting, that sort of thing... and that's why these kids scream online when they get dominated. I talk to my wife about it and we don't want our kids being subject to this sort of thing... not just yet. Nor do I want to see any other kid being subject to bullying by older boys/girls or adults for that matter.

• Scaglietti, Blasterman4EVER, fw3 and 1 other like this

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:06 PM Edited by Cameron Star, 04 October 2015 - 06:06 PM.

I'm feeling around in the dark a bit here... but what worries me about kids playing GTA online is the people they come into contact with.

The content is M for mature, sure, but kids talk about this at school and bring up anything they want to on their mobile phones anyway, so it's not that, but what they don't do is swagger around with mature adults who have a real life experience that is completely different to their own.

It worries me that one of my boys could be gang-bullied online, subject to abuse, taunting, that sort of thing... and that's why these kids scream online when they get dominated. I talk to my wife about it and we don't want our kids being subject to this sort of thing... not just yet. Nor do I want to see any other kid being subject to bullying by older boys/girls or adults for that matter.

Yep, there was a video someone posted earlier of a guy making a little girl cry and scream in GTA:O. His attitude was, to be honest, pretty disturbing at the least.

If I met that guy in real life, I wouldn't let him anywhere near my hypothetical children.

• Jenkiiii and Eliz like this

aaronBLUEeyes
  • aaronBLUEeyes

Sovereign for the GUILD of CALAMIT0US INTENT

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:10 PM

I can't help but feel R* sort of aimed this game towards the younger generation, everything from the sub-par R* humor to the ever so lightly Saints Row feeling you get from playing the game (the satire itself in this game feels much too blatant, not as witty as it has been in the past).

Auto steering vehicles, traction control, default auto-aim.. just the overall lack of magic all GTA's have had. I truly enjoy V and I still think it's an amazing video game but there's something about it that feels watered down to suit children and catered too much to what children want rather than what R* wants to do on their own.

I believe R* does what they do best when they don't listen to the community so much and just do what they envision themselves. They are the professionals, not us.. so leave it to them to create their own masterpiece.

I've never had the game auto-steer, and most cars today have traction control. But I concur with the lame aim-assist default.

If a kids under 15 I don't think they ought to be playing because of the nudity and violence but if the parents get the game for their kid it's on them.

I also don't think it will turn kids into insane members of society either, but does send a take what you want from others regardless of the law or rules message.

I never played saints row so can't compare the satire. But Gta has always had mockery of our society as a staple of it's world.

Jenkiiii
  • Jenkiiii

Looking Good In The Hood

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:12 PM

Yep, there was a video someone posted earlier of a guy making a little girl cry and scream in GTA:O. His attitude was, to be honest, pretty disturbing at the least.

If I met that guy in real life, I wouldn't let him anywhere near my hypothetical children.

Yeah, it's kinda painful.. I know how angry I sometimes feel when groups gang up on me, even in pairs with sticky bombs, so imagine how that would affect a young kid. The rage they feel inside and wanting to get revenge... carried forward into their real life.

• Cameron Star likes this

Mion
  • Mion

KingKoolaid

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

It depends on maturity, I played video games since I was 8 and was taught by my mom it was only a fantasy, not real life, and those guys on mics are cowards. Its important parents teach their kids this if they don't then theyre bad parents.

Chamberman20
  • Chamberman20

Injustice Delta Assult Squad

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Yes. There is mature content in GTA 5 that young players shouldn't see. If a parent buys a rated Mature game for their child, is just as irresponsible as letting them watch a rated R movie.

So you're telling me you never watched(or let your children watch) movies like the Die Hards or Terminators as a kid?

I'm Gonna call BS on this one.
I don't have kids and yes I have watched rated R movies when was a kid. But it doesn't make it right either.

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

#MetInPR 😍

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

It worries me that one of my boys could be gang-bullied online, subject to abuse, taunting, that sort of thing... and that's why these kids scream online when they get dominated.

2444256-8233831785-78793.gif

sorry i had to do it hahaha its way to funny hahaha

gang-bullied ONLINE hahaha come on man, just show them how to switch session, chances of crossing paths with the "online gang of bullies" are really slim!

seriously you make it sound like playing gta is life threatening event.

GoodTimesAhead
  • GoodTimesAhead

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

if I get my hands around those lil mastorbatn maggots...

NeatSquid
  • NeatSquid

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

As a 14 year old, I agree with the ESRB/PEGI rating of the game. It's 100% just. However, I believe that it's the parent's choice whether their kid should be allowed the game. I was only allowed it after a few years of a clean record with school (no being told off).

Jenkiiii
  • Jenkiiii

Looking Good In The Hood

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

It worries me that one of my boys could be gang-bullied online, subject to abuse, taunting, that sort of thing... and that's why these kids scream online when they get dominated.

gang-bullied ONLINE hahaha come on man, just show them how to switch session, chances of crossing paths with the "online gang of bullies" are really slim!

You seem to be missing the point again, that 12 years of age is too young to be playing GTA online.

I'll probably set that limit for my kids at about 15-16, but you seem to think it's maybe 8-9.

To me, a 12-y-o kid is more likely to be harmed psychologically by playing GTAO than a 16-y-o kid. But you still seem to think it's amusing that you're more liberal than others... you're NOT, you just set the bar lower in terms of what age you let your kids play GTA online.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

You seem to be missing the point again, that 12 years of age is too young to be playing GTA online.

I'll probably set that limit for my kids at about 15-16, but you seem to think it's maybe 8-9.

To me, a 12-y-o kid is more likely to be harmed psychologically by playing GTAO than a 16-y-o kid. But you still seem to think it's amusing that you're more liberal than others... you're NOT, you just set the bar lower in terms of what age you let your kids play GTA online.

I think the limit should be right before they hit high school even though my dad stopped caring when I was in the middle of 6th grade.

Jenkiiii
  • Jenkiiii

Looking Good In The Hood

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

I think the limit should be right before they hit high school even though my dad stopped caring when I was in the middle of 6th grade.

As I said before, the beauty of being a parent is being able to set the limits where you feel most comfortable.

I'm not comfortable with the limits set by many parents of letting their 12-y-o kids play GTA online, that about sums it up.

shadowoperative
  • shadowoperative

GTAO IS GOAT

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Okay I'm going to make this clear right now. I'm no advocate for letting 7 and 8 year old kids playing rated M games. However we're discussing whether anybody under the age of 17 should play rated M games. First of all, at what age do I think people should just stop caring? 12. At that age they're already in middle school and censoring just becomes pointless because kids are already cussing and using inappropriate language and talking about all kinds of nasty sh*t.

Willingly going to the store to buy your 7 year old GTA or Call of Duty is nothing but crazy. But if you already bought the game and your child found a way to play it, don't be surprised. I did it myself when I was young. They never hid the games from me but I wasn't allowed to play them. I still did. The violence never really did it for me. In my case it was the freedom of exploring a vast map and having the ability to drive all kinds of different cars. I carjacked a lot but that never influenced me to want to be a carjacker or thug in real life.

No I don't agree with buying your kid a GTA at the age of 7 but if they're interested, they're gonna find a way to play it one way or another. How about a 13 year old? In one word, yes. At that age, what exactly does censoring do? Absolutely nothing unless it's very serious, and in this case, it isn't. By the age of 13, it's just a video game. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe a hobby if you're really into gaming. Influence, too much violence, none of those are reasonable excuses by that age. Becoming spoiled? It depends, I guess, but there are many factors that lead to that. On this forum, I've noticed the terms spoiled and entitled thrown around a lot by young adults and people born in the late 70's/early 80's who just looove negativity.

I for one first played GTA at the age of 10 and I'm sure a lot of you played your first GTA underage. That's why I'm baffled. Many of you are saying that anybody under the age of 17 flat out shouldn't be playing GTA. Some even going so far to say that anyone who buys GTA for a minor or let's them play it is a horrible parent. One person even said that it was child abuse? Hypocrisy at it's finest, no? Some of these claims left me hopeless. People are already calling this generation a mess but is mine any better? I'm beginning to wonder.

On the topic of squeakers. Yes they're annoying. But there's a mute button for a reason. As players, do they suck? Yes. Play with friends or, I don't know, just get over it. It's not that hard.

Stop being hypocrites, GTAForum's.

All these kids arguing on a forum.
Priceless.

Yup. It's surprising, isn't it?

Discussion. On a forum. Made for discussion.

It's almost like your supposed to do it, eh?
You are missing the irony.

Oh of course! I'm surprised he missed how you were calling everybody kids when - judging by your posts - you lack maturity and post like a kid. Very ironic! You're making this too easy for me.

If I gave you a 2nd thought.

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

> trucated <

> trucated <

> trucated <

> trucated <

As I said before, the beauty of being a parent is being able to set the limits where you feel most comfortable.

I'm not comfortable with the limits set by many parents of letting their 12-y-o kids play GTA online, that about sums it up.

The "beauty" of parenting. lol! More like the "pain" of parenting! (Kidding!)

I agree for the most part, but I can't imagine parents who let kids younger than 10-12 play GTA go about setting limitations for their children. These are kids who own iPhones, wear Beats, and get really upset, to the point of meltdown, when they are served the word, "no," for any reason.

In my experience, parents who are incapable of setting proper limitations and boundaries from the age of 1, end up with kids who maintain a regular disposition of melting down whenever their way is not embraced by the entire universe.

I dunno. We live in a whacky world where everyone is entitled and no one is special. Except me, of course. :)

• Jenkiiii likes this

Dirty Hairy
  • Dirty Hairy

Brew of the month: Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:01 PM Edited by Dirty.Hairy, 10 October 2015 - 09:21 PM.

All kids are not cut from the same cloth. One 10 year old may have a better grasp on reality and the consequences of his/her actions than other kids his/her age. I know I did. From a young age I knew what was right and what was wrong. It's up to the parents to gauge the maturity of their children. Make sure they have a good moral compass and whatnot.

PS-GTAIVplayer
  • PS-GTAIVplayer

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

Agree, disagree, agree. It is mature content with strippers and prostitutes and don't like squeakers.

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

God

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

What if i told you....

I'M UNDER 18

CoreyDog2014
  • CoreyDog2014

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

What if i told you....

I'M UNDER 18

Get off GTA and never return heathen!

(Kidding)
  • moostered and Darkshadows like this

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

God

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

What if i told you....

I'M UNDER 18

Get off GTA and never return heathen!

(Kidding)

I'm going to cry with my mom, scream at the mic and grief people in my chrome T20 with pink dollar rims  :(

shadowoperative
  • shadowoperative

GTAO IS GOAT

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

All game makers have to do is put this disclaimer on the front of each box...

WARNING : IF YOUR KIDS PLAY THIS GAME ONLINE GROWN MEN WILL TALK DURRTY TO THEM.  PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

hqdefault.jpg

• psymin likes this

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

God

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:10 AM

WARNING : IF YOUR KIDS PLAY THIS GAME ONLINE GROWN MEN WILL TALK DURRTY TO THEM.  PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

hqdefault.jpg

I want a popsicle.

Arachne
  • Arachne

It's me.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:24 AM

hqdefault.jpg

I want a popsicle.

picardWTF.jpg

• Darkshadows likes this

XxJibJabxX
  • XxJibJabxX

6 STAR'S! GOTTA GO!

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:48 PM

I could honestly care less, but when they start talking sh*t then they should shut their asses up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users