Quantcast

» «
Photo

Rated M for Mature… Do You Agree?

93 replies to this topic

Poll: Rated M for Mature… Do You Agree? (208 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree or disagree that GTA5&O should be rated M for mature?

1. Agree (182 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Disagree (18 votes [8.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

3. Unsure (8 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Do you agree or disagree that kids under 17 should NOT play GTA5&O?

1. Agree (116 votes [55.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.77%

2. Disagree (68 votes [32.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

3. Unsure (24 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Do you agree or disagree that parents are responsible for making this decision for their child?

1. Agree (178 votes [85.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

2. Disagree (18 votes [8.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

3. Unsure (12 votes [5.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote
fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Typically, I keep the Chat option set to "no one," but tonight a friend was online and I left it on.
While I've read several posts, recently, about the obnoxiousness of younger players online, I had yet to experience it, myself.

But tonight, I was treated to children - very young children, about 7 or 8 years old - playing GTA5:O.
I was a little surprised to hear the things they were saying.

"Curtis, what does 'insemnifimimnt furds' mean? I can't buy nothin'!"
"Mom, please? I just gotta get to the Save point!"
And two young kids asking every player, "Hey, you a Chinese?" or "Hey, you a White guy?"
"Dude, dude... get the chrome! Omg! What the hell? Why is everything I wanna buy SO expensive!"
"I gotta kill people to get some money."

Nothing too offensive was said, a lot of goofy chatter. But there they were, for a long time.
I logged off around 11PM and they were still on. On a school night. 

So, yeah, just curious as to how people react to kids online and whether it's appropriate.
Personally, I don't like that parents allow little kids near this game. Once they hit 14 or 15, it depends on the kid, I guess.

Anyhow, cheers!

• WillWorthington3, WBaker, gear999 and 3 others like this

SmokeDat
  • SmokeDat

I want a 'Minaj' w/ Nicki & Iggy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

Agree to all 3.

What's worse is those under the age think that their opinion, and what they want, actually matters.

Kids should only be seen, not heard.
  • fw3, NuklerGhost101838, Cake* Games and 4 others like this

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

Having a child play this game is like having a child at a gun range. It isn't wrong, but things can get ugly without supervision.

• WillWorthington3, coach_wargo, Lucius Aelius and 8 others like this

CrissRiot
  • CrissRiot

Leather Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:20 AM Edited by ChrisGuy, 25 February 2014 - 04:20 AM.

Still not sure why GTA Online feels "censored" as opposed to GTA V. Figured since online-interaction is never rated...

But hey, I was playing GTA III when I was...14ish. It's all about maturity not age, something that online really amplifies unfortunately.

• WBaker, fw3, manicmechanic71 and 1 other like this

Zodape
  • Zodape

El Crápula

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

Ratings are bullsh*t. Let the kid play whatever he wants. He might not understand half the things that are going on onscreen because, well, he is a kid playing an adult game. As long as he is having fun, what's the big deal?

Games don't turn kids into psychopaths, unless they are already f*cked in the head.

Butthurts jumping on me in 3... 2... 1...

• TimmyM56, Witchking Of Angmar, Masochron and 4 others like this

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

I can't help but feel R* sort of aimed this game towards the younger generation, everything from the sub-par R* humor to the ever so lightly Saints Row feeling you get from playing the game (the satire itself in this game feels much too blatant, not as witty as it has been in the past).

Auto steering vehicles, traction control, default auto-aim.. just the overall lack of magic all GTA's have had. I truly enjoy V and I still think it's an amazing video game but there's something about it that feels watered down to suit children and catered too much to what children want rather than what R* wants to do on their own.

I believe R* does what they do best when they don't listen to the community so much and just do what they envision themselves. They are the professionals, not us.. so leave it to them to create their own masterpiece.

• fw3 likes this

Headdogg81
  • Headdogg81

Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

I always thought it was kids are obscene and should not be heard.... :p

• GTA-Freak-Vi, Mr. Crowley, Lester_Crest and 1 other like this

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

Ratings are bullsh*t. Let the kid play whatever he wants. He might not understand half the things that are going on onscreen because, well, he is a kid playing an adult game. As long as he is having fun, what's the big deal?

Games don't turn kids into psychopaths, unless they are already f*cked in the head.

Hmm. But if they're too young, they might pick up the wrong things especially because they don't know the difference between right and wrong. Kids learn from their surroundings and there's just some things in a game like this that aren't meant for younger audiences to see. My best friend's son plays GTA V and he's only 6...

• Crunch McThornbody, fw3 and TimelyMeerkat like this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

I can't help but feel R* sort of aimed this game towards the younger generation, everything from the sub-par R* humor to the ever so lightly Saints Row feeling you get from playing the game (the satire itself in this game feels much too blatant, not as witty as it has been in the past).

Auto steering vehicles, traction control, default auto-aim.. just the overall lack of magic all GTA's have had. I truly enjoy V and I still think it's an amazing video game but there's something about it that feels watered down to suit children and catered too much to what children want rather than what R* wants to do on their own.

I believe R* does what they do best when they don't listen to the community so much and just do what they envision themselves. They are the professionals, not us.. so leave it to them to create their own masterpiece.

I have to agree with you, GMS. The same thing happened with the Tony Hawk Pro Skater franchise. By the time they released their whole "Wasteland" series, the game was a cartoon of what was once a basic-but-fantastic skateboarding game.

With GTA5, it has none of the zip of 3, none of the spark of VC, none of the badass of SA, and none of the snideness of 4. You're right, it is great for what it is, but there's a different tone, now.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Cheers! ;)

• GrandMaster Smith, manicmechanic71 and Eddie_INTV like this

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:33 AM

I don't think age has a factor to do with maturity, I find older players in lobbies who act like kids yelling/screaming on mics. Sometimes I find kids who spew obscene stuff on mics with their squeaky voices but I just mute them and move on with what I'm doing, it's their parents fault for letting them use mics on mature games anyway. I myself wasn't allowed to use a mic till I was 16

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:35 AM Edited by SFBryan18, 25 February 2014 - 04:39 AM.

I agree it's a mature game, and I believe the parent has the right to teach their kid whatever they want. As for the third question, no. I don't believe all people know what's best for kids, but the law gives them the authority to teach them whatever they want. If I had a kid, I might allow them to play if I was watching but I would mute the other players for sure. I think it's important for parents to teach their kids the difference between fantasy and real life. If the kid is smart enough to know right from wrong, then it would be ok. Not sure some adults even know the difference though.

• Spade115 and Scary Éire like this

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

Agree to all 3.

What's worse is those under the age think that their opinion, and what they want, actually matters.

Kids should be given to Jerry Sandusky and otherwise not interacted with... or rather the boys, give the girls to Ariel Castro's ghost.

And I disagree with the first two, unsure on the last. I saw Silence of the Lambs when it first came out; I was a baby. Played GTAIII at 12. First saw lemonparty when I was 13.

I turned out to be a law abiding citizen who has never been arrested or in any trouble. I'm also working on becoming a cop. Oink oink!

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

I don't think age has a factor to do with maturity, I find older players in lobbies who act like kids yelling/screaming on mics. Sometimes I find kids who spew obscene stuff on mics with their squeaky voices but I just mute them and move on with what I'm doing, it's their parents fault for letting them use mics on mature games anyway. I myself wasn't allowed to use a mic till I was 16

What makes me cringe is when 16 year olds try to act alpha male and calls everyone fa**ot just cause they got no one to talk to. Makes me want to get on my other xbox with iso mods.

• GTA-Freak-Vi likes this

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

What makes me cringe is when 16 year olds try to act alpha male and calls everyone fa**ot just cause they got no one to talk to. Makes me want to get on my other xbox with iso mods.

I actually like the behavior. I'd much rather a sexually repressed and testosterone-aly challenged teen act out his aggressions to strangers online than taking them out on people in real life.

• Jolly Swagman likes this

Troubadour
  • Troubadour

www.DamnedNation.net

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

& all of those people who "Disagreed" are kiddies who are on here pretending they are adults beside they are the only one who think they are old enough "maturewise" to play the game even if they aren't of legal age to buy the game

• Xyn likes this

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:04 AM

& all of those people who "Disagreed" are kiddies who are on here pretending they are adults beside they are the only one who think they are old enough "maturewise" to play the game even if they aren't of legal age to buy the game

You're a complete imbecile - there is NO "legal" age needed to buy a rated M or even AO game. The ESRB is an industry organization and its ratings are mere suggestions that hold 100% no legal standing.

iJuanYouLost
  • iJuanYouLost

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

Typically, I keep the Chat option set to "no one," but tonight a friend was online and I left it on.
While I've read several posts, recently, about the obnoxiousness of younger players online, I had yet to experience it, myself.

But tonight, I was treated to children - very young children, about 7 or 8 years old - playing GTA5:O.
I was a little surprised to hear the things they were saying.

"Curtis, what does 'insemnifimimnt furds' mean? I can't buy nothin'!"
"Mom, please? I just gotta get to the Save point!"
And two young kids asking every player, "Hey, you a Chinese?" or "Hey, you a White guy?"
"Dude, dude... get the chrome! Omg! What the hell? Why is everything I wanna buy SO expensive!"
"I gotta kill people to get some money."

Tbh, I doubt any of these were exact quotes besides the very last one, and maybe the Chinese/White guy one.

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

I'm 17. Would you look at that.

CorruptedVision
  • CorruptedVision

Slim Reaper

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

I'd change it from 17 to 14 or 15. Really it depends on the child. If he shows good maturity for his age then why not let him play. If I had a kid and he acted like some that do play, there is no way i'd let him play. That would go for any online games and even more so for using a mic. Of course if I had a kid like that i'd be ashamed of a shotty parenting job I had done.

• Cincy32 likes this

CReaper210
  • CReaper210

Kingpin

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

Nothing wrong with kids playing. Hell, a lot of the kids I see are hell of a lot more mature than these so called "adults" roaming around in GTA.

Nothing bad really comes from a kid playing a game, apart from the fact that some people get annoyed by them.

I personally find their voices annoying, so at most I'll just mute them. But I've played games like, and maybe even some worse than GTA since I was 5 years old, and I see nothing wrong with it.

• Witchking Of Angmar and Cincy32 like this

ExtendUnlimited
  • ExtendUnlimited

What did you say?!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

The game is for mature and kids can play it if a parent allows it. I just don't want to hear the excuse of I didn't know my child had such a violent game and more likely that kid plays GTA5 longer than 5 hours a day that the parents didn't even know. I just hate childish trolls in general doesn't matter if you are a kid, a teen or a adult playing this game online.

TheNumberOfTheBreast
  • TheNumberOfTheBreast

(-_-)y-~

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

"Our games are not designed for young people, if you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child you're a terrible parent." Lazlow Jones, writer for GTA

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

"Our games are not designed for young people, if you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child you're a terrible parent." Lazlow Jones, writer for GTA

lol I was about to say that, exactly.

While I do agree that you don't need to be 18+ to be mature, and that it's ok to play around 16 imo, you must be a terrible parent to let and encourage your underage kid to play GTA, especially Online.

Strange Town
  • Strange Town

An Exercise in Self Indulgence

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:31 AM Edited by Strange Town, 25 February 2014 - 07:32 AM.

Bullsh*t. I first played GTA when I was 6. Nothing wrong with me.

o0eVe0o
  • o0eVe0o

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

i heard a kid arguing with their mum over mic the other day i was just like omg please beat his ass swearing at her an stuff, while i wish they could just lock out younger players its never gona happen its the age we live in they arent all bad, iv played some good missions with clearly younger people who know what they are doing and dont talk all child like but they sound it.

I agree to all 3 but my parents went to the store with me when i was younger to get gta3 i think i was like 12 at the time, i played video games alot with my dad lol, and when i was down at the store buying gta 5 at a midnight launch for myself last year, there was alot of parents and small kids there all buying it for them. So its just the age we live in now cant really stop them playing but not all are bad if anything the ones who swear alot, be racist, and do other stupid annoying sh*t over mic should have that revoked.

GTA Banjo
  • GTA Banjo

Blowing Virtual Characters Since 2013

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Ehm, yes?

AnotherUserName
  • AnotherUserName

Dick

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Kids that play this game are very mature for their age. I know this is true because they all say so.

• fw3 likes this

trunkster
  • trunkster

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

As there is little or no gun crime in the world these days, especially at schools, what's the harm in letting them play? It's not like anything bad could happen is it...

• fw3 likes this

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

As there is little or no gun crime in the world these days, especially at schools, what's the harm in letting them play? It's not like anything bad could happen is it...

notsureifserious.jpg

rnb010
  • rnb010

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

actually, witnessing/experiencing the same thing over and over again makes you kinda numb to it

not saying kids will immediatly turn to smacking eachother over the head on the playground using bottles..but it can be considered a (slight) push into a more violent kinda behaviour

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users