My opinion on TBoGT

20 replies to this topic
AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

This may be wrong selection since there is TBoGT's own sub-forum but i wanted to post it here so more people can see it since this selection is more active. Also, this may contain spoilers so watch out who haven't played the game...

Okay, so after V, i re-played IV, SA and started replaying TBoGT (the next are TLaD & VC). First time when we were introduced to LC in IV. It feel more alive than any previous GTA city (even more than V's LS) with many unique things and details. It had dark atmosphere with really complex protagonist along with perfect story that all fit to each other and even real New York. In that way, all was perfect. Later, when R* released TLaD, it showed us different side of the city about bikers along with also great protagonist and story, new features, different type of story. It also had dark atmosphere and it fit to story and protagonist, plus shows as other side of LC, on great way. It's more connected with IV, they look great like game & DLC. On the other side, when TBoGT came out, i was surprised with all what we good there. Better variety of new 25 missions, some features from VC and SA such as parachute, night clubs, drug wars, very different kind of story, amazing new weapons, different kind of characters, more colors...It also gave the city VC vibe, it wasn't that dark anymore, nights were different, it felt like the whole game has changed. And That's whats the problem actually. It just doesn't fit the city. Sunny, colorful city along with TBoGT's sh*tty story in my opinion doesn't fit the LC's actual feel. In my opinion it's vibe ruined the atmosphere. Also, it has funny characters like gay Tony that annoyed me much. I don't want even to talk about Luis, who is the worst protagonist in the series IMO. The game became less serious what also destroyed LC's feel. It nowhere fit the city and it's precursors IV & TLaD.

Don't get me wrong, it was great addition. New weapons, features, colors that changed many things were great, but it doesn't belongs to LC IMO. I think it would better work in Vice City or like V's DLC. Also there were more things that were bad besides this. Bad protagonist, bad story, mission check list (annoyed me so much), some characters like Evan and Tony. I like the vibe from VC, it gave me VC feeling along with great night clubs which is my favorite GTA.

And that's the reason why i like TLaD more than TBoGT. So, what do you think?

• B Dawg, 018361, Exocortex and 1 other like this

BBQ RIBS
  • BBQ RIBS

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

In my opinion it was magnificent in every sense.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Mister Doctor

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:01 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 25 February 2014 - 10:03 AM.

I like TLaD and vanilla IV much more than TBoGT, but don't think TBoGT is that bad.

Sure, it had its set of problems. Story doesn't really kick in until Bulgarin shows up, Luis is the worst protagonist in the entire series, I wish there were side-missions like Stubbs' Dirty Laundry and it could use somewhat more serious characters (though it's nowhere near as bad as V in that department). But I think that GTA should get a little over the top at certain moments and there is no reason to omit parachutes, APCs and other crazier toys from the game. In that regard, TBoGT really paid off. Characters were presented in comedic light (especially Yusuf and Mori), but the writing was sharp and I think relationships R* build between them (Luis - Tony, Mori - Brucie) were really well done. Especially Tony is the real star of the game and I count him among the best serious characters in the series.

As for the tone, sure it's completely different from IV and TLaD, but I really don't mind. There are some dark undertones in the story and I think in IV, R* wanted to portray a city, first and foremost. That way, TBoGT's lighter tone makes sense in the context of other games. Every city has it's bright side and dark side. Niko's story was somewhere in the middle, Johnny's focused on the dark side and Luis' on the light side. We can use this analogy on the story and gameplay balance too - vanilla IV was somewhat balanced between story and gameplay, but TLaD was heavily story and atmosphere-driven. So it was fitting for TBoGT to focus on gameplay.

• B Dawg and Fallcreek like this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Of course it isn't that bad (besides things like story and protagonist) but my post was saying about how it doesn't fit IV & TLaD. I think it isn't for that area. As i said, it would work better in Vice City like future GTA, or Los Santos like DLC in V.

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Why is everyone hating Luis? Yes, in my opinion he's the worst of the three IV-protagonists, but that's because his story is weak. He fits the story; a depressed or angry protagonist would have been weird in TBOGT.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Actually, I think Luis was a great character.  But TBoGT suffers from the fact that by the time I played it, I had already played 2 other games just like it before.  The addition of helicopter fights, noose tanks and explosions were intended to spice up some of the dullness of the other two games, but they felt tacked on.  and the story had a forgettable antagonist.

• Shah Sam likes this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

To be honest I always used to bitch about how terrible TBOGT was, but after V was released I realise that it's not that bad of a game. It actually felt more fulfilling to play than V.

Did it blend well with what we already had in IV and TLAD? No. But did it blend in well with the New York setting.

In the end I can live with TBOGT and its vast difference to the other two. At least it feels like the HD era, unlike V which I still have trouble believing actually exists alongside IV.
  • MiamiViceCity, AnDReJ98 and HaythamKenway like this

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

and the story had a forgettable antagonist.

Yeah, Bulgarin turned into an idiot in TBOGT, and he was not as intimidating as he was in IV. He also lacked personality in my opinion.

• Niobium likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Mister Doctor

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, Bulgarin turned into an idiot in TBOGT, and he was not as intimidating as he was in IV. He also lacked personality in my opinion.

Bulgarin could have been my favorite antagonist. He still has his moments in TBoGT - the way he mercileslly had the cook's head cut off, how he enjoyed slaughtering those NOOSEs. He was really creeping me out at some points and I generally felt more threatened by him than by Dimitri or Ray. And Vitali Baganov's delivery was stellar.

And then he started shouting "I AM NOT A FU*KING FA*GOT" and "C*NT" repeatedly. Brought the whole character down.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

I really hated the characters in TBoGT. Yusuf was just Roman with lots of money. Not that there was anything wrong with Roman, but Yusuf was so f*cking goofy and borderline retarded. Mori may have added some depth to Brucie, but he was just Brucie with more...Brucie in him. We didn't need some "Oh haha, orange midget who likes to talk about his big dick, lol" guy. They completely butchered Bulgarin. In IV he's this intimidating Russian mob boss after Niko, but while the events of IV are still playing out and you meet him in TBOGT, he's some f*cking manchild living with his sister and thrashing on a guitar.

I think TBoGT had a different concept before it actually was released. I mean, IV had TLAD files included in it already that people were able to unlock. In TLAD Johnny was actually going to have the vest he did in IV, but that got changed at the last minute. There was a topic much like "The Possible Trinity" one, but just for IV and TLAD. The mission order was perfect. But the second TBoGT was introduced, it's missions screw up the chronological order and creates plot holes concerning Elizabeta and I think something else, no matter how many times you move the mission order around. From dialogue in IV, Yusuf is this serious business man. He was probably going to be kind of like what Stubbs was in TLAD, but for TBoGT.

I don't know. It seems like TBoGT was more of an after-thought. Its characters and events had some major changes compared to the changes in TLAD. Hell, in TLAD Luis and Gay Tony still looked like how they did in IV. TBoGT still could have had fun over-the-top missions without being as goofy as it was. I wish Rockstar was more open about their game's development, I really feel like TBoGT was either a lot different before we got it, or wasn't even going to exist.

• uncredited likes this

Niko Valentine
  • Niko Valentine

Passion in acting with Hasselhoff Fever.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

In the end I can live with TBOGT and its vast difference to the other two. At least it feels like the HD era, unlike V which I still have trouble believing actually exists alongside IV.

This. The characters in TBOGT are believeable to be in the HD Universe. Trevor and Michael are more of the 3D universe.

Nz_fool
  • Nz_fool

Snitch

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

TBOGT is VERY VERY refreshing. Not every game has to be dark with a tone. In fact playing this game brought out some gay in me...oh wait -_-
  • Niko Valentine likes this

uncredited
  • uncredited

Midnight Marauder

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:28 PM Edited by Imbredking, 12 March 2014 - 10:29 PM.

I personally do not understand the hate towards Luis. He is a great character as well: a tough youngster who has been somehow saved by a gay superstar from prison or death. Of course it is not as gloomy as IV or TLAD but it still has its own relevant atmosphere. The only aspect I did not like was the storyline. Yusuf is annoying. Bulgarin lacks toughness as someone said above. I like Armando and Henrique since they remind me of the GSF in GTA SA, especially Sweet and Ryder. IV remains the best IMO.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

NY is a city that has the gritty and rough atmosphere but it also has the glitzy and shiny nightlife of the yuppies. TBOGT did a great job showing that side. It let us experience LC from an entirely different perspective. 

• Peregrin Brandytook likes this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yes, but i was saying how it would work better in Vice City or Los Santos. It doesn't really fit like IV's DLC. 

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:10 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 14 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.

I've always been kind of hard on TBOGT. It's a good game in its own regard, but I agree it does feel a bit out of place.

Of course there isn't anything wrong with showing things from a different perspective, but when I think of LC I think of dark, cold, gritty streets.

Not glitzy nightclubs and bright colours. However I agree with NV112. TBOGT feels more apart of the HD universe than GTA V does. In some ways it's a better game actually IMO.
  • Budweiser Addict likes this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

^ I think this is more a reflection of style preference. Every major city has its high end areas, and it's grime. Different style yes, Tony and Luis were on first name terms with Yusuf Amir, Nikos contact Playboy couldn't even get an introduction. But out of place, no, not for me.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've always been kind of hard on TBOGT. It's a good game in its own regard, but I agree it does feel a bit out of place.

Of course there isn't anything wrong with showing things from a different perspective, but when I think of LC I think of dark, cold, gritty streets.

Not glitzy nightclubs and bright colours. However I agree with NV112. TBOGT feels more apart of the HD universe than GTA V does. In some ways it's a better game actually IMO.

The real NYC has both those elements so why not the GTA version?

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

The real NYC has both those elements so why not the GTA version?

I didn't say it couldn't have it however when I normally associate NYC/LC with crime that's what I typically think of.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

After all, maybe i'm very critical with TBoGT because i don't like the theme at all. I don't like night clubs and sh*t. I prefer something like Vice City or IV and San Andreas (through SA had many themes besides street gang). Whatever i'd appreciate TBoGT more if it was set in VC or LS. Anyway i can go with that after seeing what R* done with V. I see TBoGT better then.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Drunk on Power

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Moved to TGBOT section

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users