500GB PS3 automatically shuts down because it's 'too hot'

3 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

If anyone saw my previous topic, they would no that my old 40GB Fat PS3 died of the YLoD after 6 years of service.

So I recently (a week ago today) purchased a 500GB Super Slim bundled with Assassins Creed 4 and The Last of Us (which I traded in since I already had a copy) and it has been working flawlessly for a week, but last night it started automatically turning off after about 3 minutes of operation, a few seconds before it shuts off, I get a message reading in the top right corner of my screen telling me that the system was too hot, yet it was ice cold, anyway, I let it 'cool' overnight, and when I tried again this morning, the same problem happened. The system is obviously still under warranty from SONY so i'm not too worried.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Is this a brand new system? If so I talk to sony support or take the console back to the store. As long as the seal isn't broken you should be fine

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

Is this a brand new system? If so I talk to sony support or take the console back to the store. As long as the seal isn't broken you should be fine

This is your best bet. 

However when you get your new PS3 a couple tips to keep it cool:
- Don't have it in a tight cabinet.
- Stack two game cases either side of the PS3 so it's elevated off the surface about 2cm allowing for a gap in the middle of the PS3 so airflow can cool the underside of the PS3 where most heat build-up occurs because that is where the CPU is located.
- If you notice your PS3 getting dusty, vacuum the vents with a vacuum cleaner.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

I exchanged the faulty system for a new one yesterday, but i'm still curious about the issue with the old one, how many others have ever had this issue, when I googled it before making this topic and only found one forum post about the issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users