Photo

Why dont you play fighting games?

28 replies to this topic
LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

The fighting game community is really small compared to other genres like MMORPG, FPS, RTS, sport game community and I could go on forever. Why is the fighting game community so small and how do you get new ppl into this genre? It seems like so many gamers these days are just not interested in this genre. How come? Are these games boring IYO, too difficult / takes way too much time to learn and master only 1 character, way too many RQs and hatemails, you only care about single player aka a good story mode, are you too worried and annoyed by "spamers" who only "spam" one move, or are you just hella annoyed by how unbalanced some fighting games are?

So just out of curiosity why dont ya play fighting games?
I do hope more gamers get into this genre and realize how amazing fighting games can be.

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Mélomanie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

I would love to go to a fighting tournament but I don't have the funds to travel. If I did actually get into the fighting scene, it would definetely be Super Smash Bros, that sh*t is AWESOME.

• CatDog96 likes this

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

I used to play fighting games all the time, but eventually it just got really boring to me.

It's basically the same reason I don't play the NBA 2K series anymore: I loved the games, but it's just all the same after a while.

• Street Mix likes this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

100% Natural awesomeness in every post.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I play them, but with friends 'cos I'm sh*t at them. I never play them online :lol:

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

For me it's the lack of depth. It's just a case of pick character here's a pretty level beat the sh*t outta someone rinse and repeat. Add ontop of that my inability to commit combos to memory and it just sucks from my point of view. Last fighter I played was tekken on ps1 bit that was at my mates house. Last one I owned was a really sh*t robot one on the snes "name escapes me now" that I couldn't get past the second level of on easy.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I used to play a lot of Tekken with my bro back in the day, but nowadays I'm just not interested in the fighting game genre anymore. I don't consider any button-mashing game fun tbh, and the whole idea behind learning all those combo moves and whatnot just frustrated the crap out of me. I just used the basic fighting moves last time I played a fighting game years ago because there was no way in hell I could ever remember what 5000 buttons to press in what particular order to see all those powerful combos. Powerful combos only happened by accident haha.
  • B Dawg likes this

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by ShadowDog94, 24 February 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Because most people are casual gamers and don't have the patience to learn how the genre works. Most just mash buttons and hope for the best instead of learning combos, figuring out opponent's weaknesses and other good strategies for winning. So they end up losing patience quickly and this happens even faster when you only play against the AI. And once they play online and get their arses kicked by someone spamming the same move over and over again, they simply give up out of frustration instead of learning from their mistakes how to deal with the spammer. Compared to something like GTA or COD, fighting games are not as accessible to casual gamers. Personally, I'm not a fan of playing fighting games by myself. It's much more fun when you play against your friends.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

I think it's down to nothing more than a shift in trends. They used to be popular, but with console advancements came the ability to create bigger games with much greater depth.

Fighting games are just not popular or deep enough for most people nowadays. Simple as that.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I pushed the red button!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I used to play a lot of Tekken with my bro back in the day, but nowadays I'm just not interested in the fighting game genre anymore. I don't consider any button-mashing game fun tbh, and the whole idea behind learning all those combo moves and whatnot just frustrated the crap out of me. I just used the basic fighting moves last time I played a fighting game years ago because there was no way in hell I could ever remember what 5000 buttons to press in what particular order to see all those powerful combos. Powerful combos only happened by accident haha.

Yea I sucked balls too, and hell I could never press all the buttons fast enough. It was either too fast or too slow or too complicated. Still enjoyed playing it tho.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Back in the 90s I used to play them a bit, they were enjoyable then but they're just not my kind of fun anymore. Now I just find open world games with driveable vehicles more appealing.

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'm not very good at them. That said, I do still have Dead Or Alive 4 in my collection still. 

Preusse
  • Preusse

1 von 80 Millionen Weltmeistern

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

They are as boring as sports games imo, too repetitive, too monotonous. They don't contain anything interesting imo. Even as a kid I have never liked them.

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Use to play DBZ as a kid but that's about it.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I never really go into fighting games as when I did play a few on them they all felt the same to me after a while.

Ray Margarita
  • Ray Margarita

The American Dream

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:00 AM Edited by Ray Margarita, 25 February 2014 - 02:00 AM.

Fighting games are those type of games that you play every once in awhile, not everyday. The problem is that they're too repetitive and get stale pretty quickly. Sure, all the characters and special moves are different, but the gameplay remains the same. Having a variety of game modes really helps balance it out. This is why I totally recommend wrestling games, you get a lot of game modes, excellent character customization, and tons of fun.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

I play fighting games from time to time. I do wish they would come out with more, but everything today has to be a FPS :/

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:25 AM

Fighting games are those type of games that you play every once in awhile, not everyday. The problem is that they're too repetitive and get stale pretty quickly. Sure, all the characters and special moves are different, but the gameplay remains the same. Having a variety of game modes really helps balance it out. This is why I totally recommend wrestling games, you get a lot of game modes, excellent character customization, and tons of fun.

Wrestling games have been stale for years now.

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

Wrestling games have been stale for years now.

GTA could learn from the customization of em though.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:10 AM Edited by Daz, 25 February 2014 - 02:09 PM.

I was never hugely into 1v1 fighting games. I always much prefered games like Streets of Rage (one of my most favorite games ever), Double Dragon and Final Fight etc. So even to this day I still play them, and would love more games of that style. Double Dragon Neon just came out for steam, it put me off on 360 as the achievements are literally evil. f*ck off if I want to be stuck with 1 gamerscore until I beat the game.

As for 1v1 fighting games, I have always wanted a near realistic martial arts game. Something that brings the intensity of early Jackie Chan movies, where it consists mostly of a flurry of attacks that 75% of the time get blocked or dodged. Like the end fight scenes of Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever and Who Am I.

Bring an intensity that plays almost like Divekick. Less hits connecting but constantly having to be moving, ducking, dodging and blocking attacks. Till you get that one clean hit that is satisfying.

Can't stand MMA and how any modern fighter seems to have gone the DOA route, even Tekken, where it is mostly just about ladies fighting with their tats wobbling about.

I would love a bar brawler or even an FPS fighter if done right. But I just don't think there is a market for that.

To be honest, I would just settle for a good side scroller co-op beat em up, with a lot of choosable moves, custom character creation and more realism in the fighting.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Fighting games are just dull to me. No exploration, just learning the command combos and then beating up the opposition with them. Boring.

When younger, I did like TEkken games on PSone and PS2. Nowadays I cannot understand why I played them as much as I did though...

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

I still play Tekken now and then, but honestly, I don't even know how to block attacks, I just make sure the other person or AI-player dies before he attacks me.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

I'm not very good at them. That said, I do still have Dead Or Alive 4 in my collection still. 

That game provides the player with more than just 'fighting'.

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:20 PM Edited by SoftTouch, 25 February 2014 - 06:20 PM.

Because I turn on the game and smash all the buttons to know which does what:

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

OP : Because my Super NES has been at my grandma's house since 96'. :lol:  

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

I play Guilty Gear semi regularly for nostalgia's sake. It's the only fighting game I'm confident about. I also play Blazblue and Soul Caliber 5. The latter only because muh boi Ezio is in it and my friends are into the custom character creating thing.

Donald_Duck_ GTA5
  • Donald_Duck_ GTA5

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Singapore

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

The latest fighthing game i play since last month is Gods Among Us-Ultimate Edition

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:53 AM

I had Super Street Fighter 2 as a kid as well as Killer Instinct and saw nothing wrong with them, but I guess it just comes down to feeling restrictive to me. In retrospect they are designed well so that changes wouldn't be necessary, but I just prefer the freedom of movement in games like Super Smash Bros. - you can jump high, face whatever direction you want, etc. I wouldn't mind button combos but it works well enough as is.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:17 AM Edited by Forty, 26 February 2014 - 06:18 AM.

I used to love fighting games. I played the Tekken series for nearly a decade, loved Killer Instinct on SNES, Mortal Kombat, various Street Fighter titles. Even dabbled in some Dead Or Alive and of course Soul Calibur. You name it, I've played it for at least a bit.

The reason I haven't played a fighting game in years is because they're all exactly the same. The genre has been exhausted and no longer offers anything new. Each new game is just a rehash of old characters in a new combination. I just don't care anymore. It's the same reason that most FPS titles don't interest me. It's a genre that has been beaten into oblivion.
  • Daz likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

The reason I haven't played a fighting game in years is because they're all exactly the same. The genre has been exhausted and no longer offers anything new. Each new game is just a rehash of old characters in a new combination. I just don't care anymore. It's the same reason that most FPS titles don't interest me. It's a genre that has been beaten into oblivion.

I would have loved to have seen better control schemes implemented, something along the lines of skate. by using the analog sticks to throw a punch and the stick direction being the swing of some sort, hooks and uppercuts and such, holding depending on which trigger a different type of move, be it, punch, kick, elbow, knee, etc.

There may have been some boxing or MMA titles that might have done something like this but I wan't something that is not the typical yearly released sports title.

I really think street fighter could have made a sidescroller beat em up. Choose a character, fight through an opponent's level. For example, military personell on a guile level, then fighting him at the end as a boss. Or fighting a bunch of monks on a dahlsim level.

But really it is as you said, it is all the same, even down to the copy of character styles, and they all have the same arcade look to them.

They rarely have any moves you can memorize other than some early tekken games, but I put that down to the fact there are much more buttons on the PS1 controller as opposed to the genesis.

I mostly would love a fighter that is at least somewhat realistic and gritty and not supernatural. That I can fully create my own fighter and map my own moves down to every little detail. Just like you can with any wrestling game out there.

I really think the best chance we will get is some indie titles.

Nidhogg is a pretty damn good fighter, if you want to call it that.

• Forty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users