Photo

Red Dead Redemption Map In GTA IV?

23 replies to this topic
jippa_lippa
  • jippa_lippa

Vice City...first and only love <3

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:43 AM Edited by jippa_lippa, 24 February 2014 - 10:44 AM.

Hello :).

A couple of days ago i was thinking about Red Dead Redemption, and then i started to ask myself if somebody managed to convert its map into GTA IV PC.

I searched the web, but i couldn't find any info.

Didn't really anybody think about converting that map? Or did some difficulties occurred, preventing the map from being converted?

Thanks for your kind answers and for my "terrible in the morning" english.

Cheers.

lafincow12
  • lafincow12

Me

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

My friend did, but it was kinda pointless so he never continued it. But it is possible i just think that no one is interested in doing that, that's why it hasn't been done yet.

xxRichter
  • xxRichter

IT'S WARIO TIME!

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:32 AM

Hello :).

A couple of days ago i was thinking about Red Dead Redemption, and then i started to ask myself if somebody managed to convert its map into GTA IV PC.

I searched the web, but i couldn't find any info.

Didn't really anybody think about converting that map? Or did some difficulties occurred, preventing the map from being converted?

Thanks for your kind answers and for my "terrible in the morning" english.

Cheers.

Not a bad idea lol. I'd go for it

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

Have the OpenIV guys been able to open RDR's files? I assume once they do that and make OpenIV compatible with RDR files someone could easily convert the map.

It would be nice to get the map and port most of RDR to IV. I don't know about missions, but I'm sure most things could be ported. It would be nice to finally have some kind of RDR on the PC. And if I'm remembering correctly, RDR's map is actually smaller than IV's. So performance wouldn't be that bad since the map isn't that big.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Have the OpenIV guys been able to open RDR's files? I assume once they do that and make OpenIV compatible with RDR files someone could easily convert the map.

It would be nice to get the map and port most of RDR to IV. I don't know about missions, but I'm sure most things could be ported. It would be nice to finally have some kind of RDR on the PC. And if I'm remembering correctly, RDR's map is actually smaller than IV's. So performance wouldn't be that bad since the map isn't that big.

It'd be cool to see the weapons ported.

Dem revolvers

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

I think it was already attempted and wasn't possible to convert it.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

It'd be cool to see the weapons ported.

Dem revolvers

They were ported quite some time ago.

http://www.gta4-mods...ons-pack-f14338

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Xenon Brothers)

• Feroci
  • Mars

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

I ported some of the animals, but trying to rig them for renderware is hard without the right scripts.

I was after the Cows.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

I think it was already attempted and wasn't possible to convert it.

When was this? OpenIV has had a lot more progress since then. There are also more tools available now. Who knows what is possible.

I'm surprised people aren't jumping all over this, or that the Russians aren't working on a RDR mod.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'm not sure, I read it somewhere in the forums a while back.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Xenon Brothers)

• Feroci
  • Mars

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

When I get some time away from my own SOL project issues I will take another crack at this.

• cp1dell likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Well before it wasn't possible with OpenIV because RDR uses RPF6. Yet the OpenIV team has been able to open Max Payne 3 files, and even GTA V files. I'm not sure what type of RPF it uses, but chances are it can be open. Hell, ac.amir was able to get John Marston and some weapons from Red Dead Redemption.

I'm just really surprised that this isn't a big thing. People have wanted RDR on PC for a long time. You would think people would be jumping all over the idea of porting it to GTA IV through a Total Conversion.

When I get some time away from my own SOL project issues I will take another crack at this.

Nice, I look forward to it.

TehTacoGuy
  • TehTacoGuy

Half taco, half human.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Well before it wasn't possible with OpenIV because RDR uses RPF6. Yet the OpenIV team has been able to open Max Payne 3 files, and even GTA V files. I'm not sure what type of RPF it uses, but chances are it can be open. Hell, ac.amir was able to get John Marston and some weapons from Red Dead Redemption.

I'm just really surprised that this isn't a big thing. People have wanted RDR on PC for a long time. You would think people would be jumping all over the idea of porting it to GTA IV through a Total Conversion.

GTA V uses RPF7 I believe.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

So considering the OpenIV guys have been able to access RPF7 files, would it be possible for the to be able to open RPF6 files?

How did ac.amir extract the John Marston and weapons models from Red Dead Redemption? He has already been able to do it. The only issue I can see (which I also lack knowledge on; feel free to fill me in) is converting RDR's map files to whatever IV uses.

Chipsman
  • Chipsman

OpenIV Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

The main issue with models converting is a shaders. GTA IV (and GTA V also) does not contain any analogues of terrain shaders from RDR (6 textures blend (with 2 mask textures and 6 normalmap textures)). So we need to reverse these RDR shaders first, next we need reverse GTA IV shaders, understand theirs "magic", next we need to do some mix of them (also using magic), next compile them and put back to the game (and all these things sound like something unreal)

• cp1dell likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

(and all these things sound like something unreal)

So it's most likely not going to happen?

Chipsman
  • Chipsman

OpenIV Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

@cp1dell

I can only speak for myself. And I can say that I definitely will not do anything for GTA 4.

But maybe something for GTA 5 in the future (if it will be released on the PC of course). 

This video shows my old experiments with adding new shaders to the game (it's quite complicated but possible)

• Alexander Blade and cp1dell like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:41 PM Edited by cp1dell, 29 May 2014 - 09:42 PM.

What's so special about RDR's terrain shaders? IV has small areas of terrain in some spots on the map, why do you need to recreate the terrain shaders from RDR? Then there are map mods like Countryside V and Red Dead Desert.

Chipsman
  • Chipsman

OpenIV Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

@cp1dell

Because GTA IV have shaders for blending 2, 3 and 4 textures only and use texture coordinats of vertices as masks for blending, and without normal mapping.

RDR shaders are different. The main of them blends 6 textures, uses 2 textures as masks (one color channel per texture layer) and also implements normal mapping (blends 6 normal maps) (6+2+6). Also RDR have shader that blends this 6-layer terrain shader with others (cliff walls for example), it means that it has one more texture for diffuse and one more texture for normal map (7+2+7). 

So you can not just convert models as simple as one might think. This is main challenge.

---
As I know mods like Red Dead Desert don't use original models from the original RDR game and were created by the authors from scratch.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

So the shaders and blended textures give the terrain that sort of "spontaneous" look? So it doesn't look like the same sand or dirt texture being repeated over and over again? That's what the shaders do?

Chipsman
  • Chipsman

OpenIV Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

In this case yes, some sort of like you described

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Would it be possible to port the maps and just settle with IV's terrain shaders? It wouldn't look as great as RDR's, but it would be something. Would that be possible or require too much retexturing and parenting textures to models?

Chipsman
  • Chipsman

OpenIV Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

I already tried to do that once and got very ugly results, so I don't want to waste time for that any more. Maybe I will return to with idea when(/if) GTA V comes to PC

• cp1dell likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Ah.

Alright, well thank you for the explanation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users