GTA races were better on GTA4

47 replies to this topic
Flukey
  • Flukey

Foul Balls

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Who remembers long 10 lap races where you could jump out of your sh*tty car and jump into a faster one?

Or where you could create a roadblock and sit waiting with and RPG just to create a challenge for the people who were actually trying to win?

GTA 5 needs more of 4s spirit of GTA races because they aren't as much fun on 5.
  • EarthboundMysfit, Nivak, GTAPhilly1 and 1 other like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

or where you could actually do a drive by :) GTA V sucks implementing that.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

OP, you can do both of those things in GTA races in V. 

• TheApparentlyGullibleGamer and bootswitdafur like this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Or were driving was good amd didnt feel like I was PLAYING A f*ckING SAINTS ROW GAME! Goddamn f*ck you rockstar, how can you change such a great driving system to a sh*tty generic saints row feeling one.
  • Ibareny likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Or were driving was good amd didnt feel like I was PLAYING A f*ckING SAINTS ROW GAME! Goddamn f*ck you rockstar, how can you change such a great driving system to a sh*tty generic saints row feeling one.

Here we have a quote from someone who has never played a Saints Row game.

• leonsilavant, darkwar854, Zonnex and 1 other like this

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, that sucked mayor dick.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Okay. Fine its not exactly the same but its not too far from it. Also when the player falls from a tall building, he doesnt make any movement just sorta stands there exactly like saints row.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

There are no GTA Races in V. So sad. I mean, kart-racing is fun and all but ... f*ck, is Rockstar on crack? Where did the gun races go?

In IV, I ONLY raced GTA races (ONLY!) and hardly ever killed people. I loved the barricade-griefers (but not spawn-trappers) even. Then V f*cked it all off, discarded the mode entirely, removed all fear of being turtled, put every car just shy of 'scrapes only,' added magical power pick-ups... f*ck, Rockstar!

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Official SA-MP Addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

No, no the hell they weren't.
  • Zorvaine likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Yeah. Seriously dude. I love Saint's Row (for really real, I do) but your dick in a toaster handles better than Saint's Row's vehicles.
  • Zonnex likes this

Zorvaine
  • Zorvaine

True Vengeance is granted through serrated blades.

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

No it wasn't. 

- Once someone was too far behind he immediately left. Always during races half the people were gone because they knew they couldn't win. Catchup and slipstream fixed that.

- There was too much griefing. If one decided to just stop and kill everyone he would just ruin the race for most people.

- If you died you spawned on a useless faggio.

- There were no custom cars.

- You couldn't bet money.

- You couldn't create your own races.

- Lobbies were horrid since every second lobby, the host didn't want to check ''ready'' and people wasted their time waiting for nothing.

- Some people immediately wrecked their cars and couldn't continue. (Although it was their fault but still. Now it's more forgiving)

- There were no bulletproof tires. 

I know the flaws of slipstreaming and catchup but I welcome it. It balances the race, giving those behind a chance rather than giving up or their position being completely reliable whether the person in front would make a mistake. 

• poklane, 2281 and RAS_ZeroZ like this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

GTA IV was a challenge. V ruined all that with sh*tty driving and catchup.
  • Flukey likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Dont know about gta races, but regular races were better, no doubt.

Creator, new vehicles and mods, country roads and dirt paths... All that is a huge boost, but when you downgrade the driving itself, nothing compensates for that.
  • Blingy likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Creator, new vehicles and mods, country roads and dirt paths... All that is a huge boost, but when you downgrade the driving itself, nothing compensates for that.

And all that could have remained, and more more more, without the stupid catch-up feature, without the magical pick-ups and without screwing with the physics.

And slipstreaming is only stupid because of how it magically turns on during races and is otherwise only possible for police (as it seems).

ChrilLe
  • ChrilLe

Infernus masterrace!

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

GTA IV was a challenge. V ruined all that with sh*tty driving and catchup.

V driving rules, catchup can be disabled.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Who remembers long 10 lap races where you could jump out of your sh*tty car and jump into a faster one?

Or where you could create a roadblock and sit waiting with and RPG just to create a challenge for the people who were actually trying to win?

You can do both of those things in GTAO so in that aspect it really isnt all that different form GTA IV.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

The essential difference is the magical pick-ups. Why didnt they add a "gun-race" mode so the kids could have their kart racing and we could have our GTA racing?

Tabula Rasa
  • Tabula Rasa

Mogwai - Never feed me after midnight.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

I miss the driving, the weight of vehicles was exaggerated along with lack of traction; subsequently making every vehicle feel unique and miles apart from its appropriate radical (i.e: going from a van to a sports car.)  I love what GTA V is trying to do but I can steal a dozen different vehicles and make next to no alterations in how I drive from one to the next, as much praise the new wheel systems receive; 4wd, rear wheel etc, it still feels more simplified in some regards. 

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

So you enjoy racing at 30 mph, or do you enjoy racing at 150 mph?  Face it, The racing in GTA 4 sucked because of the crap driving physics.

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Yeah I remember the first gta race I did in V and I was all like, wtf is this sh*t? Haven't done one since and couldn't agree more with the op amongst others in this thread.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:31 AM Edited by B3astGTS, 24 February 2014 - 12:36 AM.

No it wasn't. 

- Once someone was too far behind he immediately left. Always during races half the people were gone because they knew they couldn't win. Catchup and slipstream fixed that.

-People still leave in V and it people leaving made little difference unless you were in a 2 person race. Catchup breaks all racing as it cripples the leader because other people are bad at driving.

- There was too much griefing. If one decided to just stop and kill everyone he would just ruin the race for most people.

-This only happens mainly on auto-aim and is actually a worse issue in V because you can't set-auto aim on or off per game like you could in IV.

- If you died you spawned on a useless faggio.

-Legit issue but only on a few tracks such as Exhaust Fumes where you played long stretches without cars parked nearby.

- There were no custom cars.

-No custom cars was a great thing as there was some semblance of balance. Custom cars just screw up balance to the point where they have to do things like catchup and slipstream that just further break racing balance. If they wanted to do custom cars properly, they should  have made custom only carry over the wheel accessory and paint only with no stat updates attached.

- You couldn't bet money.

-Betting is meaningless and has no impact on the actual racing experience

- You couldn't create your own races.

-A nice feature for V but this has no bearing on the actual racing experience. Just makes a difference in the number of tracks you can play.

- Lobbies were horrid since every second lobby, the host didn't want to check ''ready'' and people wasted their time waiting for nothing.

-The timer doesn't count down unless someone is joined and you have matchmaking open. You can have matchmaking closed and have the same thing happen in V. Lobbies are better in V as you can host your own easy. However, yet again this has nothing to do with the actual racing itself.

- Some people immediately wrecked their cars and couldn't continue. (Although it was their fault but still. Now it's more forgiving)

-You could always respawn in the faggio. This simply isn't true.

- There were no bulletproof tires. 

-And that was a great thing concerning balance purposes. In V if you don't have bulletproof tires you get screwed over becauase not only are you an easy target, but your car goes out of control if the tire gets popped entirely. In IV you'd only lose control going into a corner and everyone had an equal chance of getting their tire shot out.

I know the flaws of slipstreaming and catchup but I welcome it. It balances the race, giving those behind a chance rather than giving up or their position being completely reliable whether the person in front would make a mistake. 

-Trying to go light on personal attacks here, but you simply have no idea what balance is. Balance is about creating an equal playing field where skill separates the positions of the players. Catch-up does nothing but punish the leader and lessens the skill required to win a race. Slipstream isn't as bad as catch-up but still puts the leading racers at a disadvantage as it allows for easy passing.  Sometimes you end up behind due to your driving skill or to bad luck. However balance isn't about you catching up or as you put it "giving those behind a chance", it's about making the mode so that skill is the primary factor in determining placement.

GTA V has improved a few things such as anytime car respawn. However it also has so many changes (such as owned weapons in a race, starting boost, one hit kill rockets you can fire backwards or forwards, etc) that are a step backwards that it is far worse than the GTA IV GTA race experience. Actually it's worse in all game mode experiences overall with the exception of free roam.

Winning001
  • Winning001

The guy in Passive Mode

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

GTA IV driving was a complete train wreck. Trust me. I have it on PC and console. the fastest cars only went 100mph (160kmh) and the suspension was about soft as hell. Plus the speed cap being at 178.952mph which was dumb

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Do the splits!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

There's actually an incentive to win GTA races in V. In IV it's just a bunch of dudes f*cking sh*t up. Well it's the same now but more with a sense of competition.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

GTA V driving system is better than GTA IV.  In IV, it felt like you were driving on water, they vehicle would sway back and forth while turning and that was stupid.  When GTA V was first released, I thought all the cars felt boxy and all the same..... the way they have it now is great.

JayDM420
  • JayDM420

0.14 KD

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:53 AM Edited by JayDM420, 24 February 2014 - 12:56 AM.

Exactly how I feel. They added all these cars, customizations, and even courses but it is all useless with these cheapo Nfs physics. There's too much traction making it WAY too easy to drive.

GTA V driving system is better than GTA IV.  In IV, it felt like you were driving on water, they vehicle would sway back and forth while turning and that was stupid.  When GTA V was first released, I thought all the cars felt boxy and all the same..... the way they have it now is great.

Have you ever driven an un-tuned car in real life? It's called BODY ROLL and tire roll. It exists in real life and existed in Gta iv. It made it challenging to be a good driver in that game and now any 2 year with thumbs can drive and place 1st in V

• The real coast guard likes this

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:56 AM Edited by gnad.1992, 24 February 2014 - 12:56 AM.

GTA races are just stupid... I was racing against someone, the guy shot my tires, I destroyed his car with rockets, he respawned with his regenerated car and destroyed me 10 secs before ending the race, while I was driving with my f*cked up tires..

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:58 AM Edited by FasterThanYou, 24 February 2014 - 01:02 AM.

So you enjoy racing at 30 mph, or do you enjoy racing at 150 mph?  Face it, The racing in GTA 4 sucked because of the crap driving physics.

With this costumer base no wonder they dumbed it down. Fun doesnt go up just because you can go faster.

Doing full throttle a 90 degrees corner at 100 kmh in a coupe isnt fun, it is stupid. Youre just holding a trigger down and a joystick left or right. If you think that is fun, I can only feel sorry.

In the same kind of corner, in this game there is no need to brake, no need to transfer weith smoothly, no need to watch for surprise slides, no need to modulate throttle on exit. Nothing to do as driver. On 4 you would have your hands busy to go through there as fast as possible.

Gta5 only gets interesting in the rain or with certain classes like muscle or sport classics. 4 was vastly superior regarding vehicle dynamics even if it had issues too.
  • The real coast guard, Tabula Rasa and JayDM420 like this

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Play GTA IV races then. /thread

JayDM420
  • JayDM420

0.14 KD

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

With this costumer base no wonder they dumbed it down. Fun doesnt go up just because you can go faster.

Doing full throttle a 90 degrees corner at 100 kmh in a coupe isnt fun, it is stupid. Youre just holding a trigger down and a joystick left or right. If you think that is fun, I can only feel sorry.

In the same kind of corner, in this game there is no need to brake, no need to transfer weith smoothly, no need to watch for surprise slides, no need to modulate throttle on exit. Nothing to do as driver. On 4 you would have your hands busy to go through there as fast as possible.

Gta5 only gets interesting in the rain or with certain classes like muscle or sport classics. 4 was vastly superior regarding vehicle dynamics even if it had issues too.

Yes this man said it all!

I don't want to robotically hold down R2 and just steer through every corner. It isn't rewarding or challenging in the least.

• Flukey likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:14 AM Edited by Staten, 24 February 2014 - 02:15 AM.

I don't want to robotically hold down R2 and just steer through every corner. It isn't rewarding or challenging in the least.

That wouldn't get you very far in races in V either.  You'd wipe out on a corner sooner rather than later.  Except for maybe "Jumps Jumps Jumps".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users