Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why aren't the cars just like the ones in real life?

17 replies to this topic
SL_unit1
  • SL_unit1

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

Like the Truffade Adder, looks nothing like a Bugatti Veyron and isn't named Bugatti Veyron. What's up with that?

RyderNotThisAgain
  • RyderNotThisAgain

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

"Looks nothing like a Bugatti Veyron and isn't named Bugatti Veyron" WHAT?

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

To have a "exact model" and brand names licenses are needed. 

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

And acquiring said licenses is very expensive and involves a lot of costly legal back and forth, so a lot of developers decide against it.

Lazy Mofo
  • Lazy Mofo

Mirror Park Citizen

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

The entity kind of looks like its real life counterpart, the koensinegg, and so does the infernus :p

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

They would need the licensing and it looks quite a bit like a Bugatti. I like the fact that it is sort of it's own world.

figit090
  • figit090

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:34 AM Edited by figit090, 23 February 2014 - 01:36 AM.

Not only licensing, but car manufacturers would never want their car featured everywhere online as a getaway vehicle, a badly performing vehicle, or to see images of it routinely damaged beyond recognition.  That, if I recall correctly, is why Gran Turismo initially didn't have car damage effects.  Not sure how things evolved into games like Forza having damage, but I still would never expect GTA games to have real cars for the aforementioned reasons.  Plus, EVERY car would inevitably have the SAME damage model and you wouldn't have "that one car that always breaks a front AXLE" or a truck that's really prone to gas tank punctures.  They would ALL be the same or car makers would have a field day.

Plus, I love GTA created cars, it gives them a certain license with creativity and thus no car looks too outrageous or "fake" because they ALL are fake.  Discover a new crazy new car and it fits right in.  
Usually the designers have a fairly good idea what looks good and don't botch it, so I just enjoy the game.  

Finally, I wouldn't want it to feel too real; there's a feeling of GTA that would be lost with real cars.  Can you imagine all the missions taking place in REAL vehicles?  I don't think I would like it, you'd "expect" a Ferrari to be amazing and "expect" a ford taurus to suck, ending up with brand favoritism.  However, car manufacturers would inevitably all have their quabbles with how their car model performs, ford would want their mustang to handle like a ferrari or at least a Corvette in the game, or a company might completely back out if they see their car as misrepresented...  Then it becomes about the cars instead of the world that is GTA, and you have a world suddenly governed by marketing tactics instead of one good company aimed at making satire about everything under the sun.  Enter the real world and all the B.S. that comes with it, and then what's the point?

NOPE.

• Gunslinger_GK, Militia and player999 like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

I hate to play devils advocate but if all the above arguments are valid,  how then did Driver San Francisco get away with using real car designs with real car names? 

PineboxFiller
  • PineboxFiller

Liar

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

I hate to play devils advocate but if all the above arguments are valid,  how then did Driver San Francisco get away with using real car designs with real car names? 

And acquiring said licenses is very expensive and involves a lot of costly legal back and forth, so a lot of developers decide against it.

Because of this ^ except they decided to go ahead and acquire the licenses to use the real life models.

Not only licensing, but car manufacturers would never want their car featured everywhere online as a getaway vehicle, a badly performing vehicle, or to see images of it routinely damaged beyond recognition.  That, if I recall correctly, is why Gran Turismo initially didn't have car damage effects.  Not sure how things evolved into games like Forza having damage, but I still would never expect GTA games to have real cars for the aforementioned reasons.  Plus, EVERY car would inevitably have the SAME damage model and you wouldn't have "that one car that always breaks a front AXLE" or a truck that's really prone to gas tank punctures.  They would ALL be the same or car makers would have a field day.

Plus, I love GTA created cars, it gives them a certain license with creativity and thus no car looks too outrageous or "fake" because they ALL are fake.  Discover a new crazy new car and it fits right in.  
Usually the designers have a fairly good idea what looks good and don't botch it, so I just enjoy the game.  

Finally, I wouldn't want it to feel too real; there's a feeling of GTA that would be lost with real cars.  Can you imagine all the missions taking place in REAL vehicles?  I don't think I would like it, you'd "expect" a Ferrari to be amazing and "expect" a ford taurus to suck, ending up with brand favoritism.  However, car manufacturers would inevitably all have their quabbles with how their car model performs, ford would want their mustang to handle like a ferrari or at least a Corvette in the game, or a company might completely back out if they see their car as misrepresented...  Then it becomes about the cars instead of the world that is GTA, and you have a world suddenly governed by marketing tactics instead of one good company aimed at making satire about everything under the sun.  Enter the real world and all the B.S. that comes with it, and then what's the point?

NOPE.

Also I agree with what he said.

Scooter8299
  • Scooter8299

Like a Sir

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

Because Ubisoft went out & got the licenses for those cars. Since the series went back to its roots with just driving, the manufacturers didn't need to worry about their cars getting blown up & stuff. Something like that.
  • ~Tiger~ likes this

Shootaholic
  • Shootaholic

zzzz....

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Because Ubisoft went out & got the licenses for those cars. Since the series went back to its roots with just driving, the manufacturers didn't need to worry about their cars getting blown up & stuff. Something like that.

And you don't run over people and paint cars red in blood.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:40 AM Edited by Andreas, 23 February 2014 - 09:43 AM.

The only problem vehicle manufacturers have with allowing their cars, bikes, and so on in videogames is that they get damaged and blown up. Because people could possibly use it as comparison for which vehicle is the best, for instance. Oh, and they also don't like it if they can be used to run NPCs over. And I personally cannot blame them. It's not really a big deal though, GTA is a parody of the real world in a large number of ways, and having real life cars in it would kind of ruin the immersion, in my opinion. There is no need to acquire expensive licences for real life cars when the 'fake' ones are just as fine. Also, I would consider it as a tradition of the series.

• Militia likes this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Also, I would consider it as a tradition of the series.

Yeah, in the next game if they started using the real brands instead of the GTA universe ones it would look to weird and out of place. 

player999
  • player999

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

You must also take into account that almost nothing in GTA is just real: There is no "Stronzo"-Beer in real life (and who would in real life buy a beer named as.hole or sh.t, what means "stronzo" in english?) as well as no "Lifeinvader" or even "Los Santos". All is just a big satire. Those names are chosen to provoke or give things hints of their behavior, for instance the obey "tailgater", which is exactly how most of those real-life car modells are driven on real streets.

So, having real named real cars in the otherwise absolute irreal world of GTA would be annoying!

• Militia likes this

CheesyCheeseman
  • CheesyCheeseman

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

I would love to see a formula 1 car in the game and make it the fastest and best handling car also if they changed the car exhaust sounds as they all sound the same even if you put a $3000 exhaust on the car.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:55 PM Edited by killahmatic, 25 February 2014 - 04:57 PM.

Like the Truffade Adder, looks nothing like a Bugatti Veyron and isn't named Bugatti Veyron. What's up with that?

You're new to the series, huh?

No car is 100% based on itself. It has features of other cars or other years of the same car.

Legalities. Although I'm pretty sure that some of these cars are so close to the real thing that if they were made into a real car, the maker would be sued. 

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

I would love to see a formula 1 car in the game and make it the fastest and best handling car also if they changed the car exhaust sounds as they all sound the same even if you put a $3000 exhaust on the car.

I would say the Cheetah is probably the closest car in the game to match a Formula 1 car.

player999
  • player999

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Try any real race-simulation and you will see, that a formula 1 car isn´t by far a car with good handling! The first turn, your rear will turn you around the same way as muscle cars do, because traction and weight are both located in the rear of the car. And due to the limitations of the formula one (up to 2013  2,4l V 8, from 2014 on 1,6 l V 6 turbocharged, [around 600 PS for Renault 2014]), such a car must not be necessarily faster then sportscars.

• Militia likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users