Photo

Is GTA IV considered as a fail?

48 replies to this topic
godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

To truly appreciate IV, you have to understand the more dark and mature theme it had. Most people only play GTA to do crazy things, now that V is out there's all sorts of stuff you can do so most just skip over IV as being 'fun'. I liked it, my favorite in the series, but none of my friends understand the importance of the whole story.

You are right.  I'll take a guess and say 80% of people who get GTA just play the first few missions and then screw around in the overworld for the rest of time.  Because at some point the missions get frustrating or boring.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Soldier

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:07 PM Edited by AnDReJ98, 10 March 2014 - 11:32 PM.

Fail? No. It showed us the different type from previous games and some new things. Just because some noobs doesn't like changes, they don't have to. But it's really not a fail. 

So in my opinion: VC (favorite + first GTA) > SA=IV (Reason is sentence above) > V (I'll see how it goes in the future).

Schismatist
  • Schismatist

The forum asshole

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:09 PM Edited by Schismatist, 26 February 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Fail? No. It showed us the different type from previous games and some new things. Just because some noobs doesn't like changes, they don't have to. But it's really not a fail. 

So in my opinion: VC (favorite + first GTA) < SA=IV (Reason is sentence above) < V (I'll see how it goes in the future).

They're much less "changes" and more so omissions.

I love GTAIV, but without question the game would have been much better if you could customize vehicles, have greater weapon variety, and, most importantly to me: parachuting. These were things that were all present in San Andreas. I can understand not being able to buy businesses, as it just wouldn't tie into the story at all, but everything else, man, the game would have been even more stellar. It's like when GTAIV came out they were so wowed by next gen GTA and how different it was, they they forgot about all the things the features previous games had that GTAIV was lacking. I'd also argue that Liberty City really could have done with a more expansive Alderny, perhaps including a second airport. Along with a decently sized countryside.

Another thing is side-activity diversity, there are very few in GTAIV and they're all limited in supply and unreplayable. Some, like the taxi missions, you can only do early on in the game. 

There's things like the plane, yeah, I guess I can understand it not being there, it's not as if there's any great places it could land. GTAIV isn't necessarily a "fail" to me, but it's lacking, especially in comparison to what GTAV was able to accomplish.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

Out of Commission

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

GTAIV isn't necessarily a "fail" to me, but it's lacking, especially in comparison to what GTAV was able to accomplish.

...at the end of the PS3/360's life cycle. You have to keep in mind that IV was Rockstar's first outing with the RAGE engine (if you don't count the table tennis game) on new hardware. You can't compare what V brought to the table in 2013 to what IV brought to the table in 2008.

lolleroz
  • lolleroz

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

To truly appreciate IV, you have to understand the more dark and mature theme it had. Most people only play GTA to do crazy things, now that V is out there's all sorts of stuff you can do so most just skip over IV as being 'fun'. I liked it, my favorite in the series, but none of my friends understand the importance of the whole story.

Pretty much this. I don't have my own console so I had to just keep visitting random friends of mine to finish GTA V, and none of them got into the story even if they had proper subtitles on - after finishing the game, they weren't even able to name all the 3 characters. For me, that's just ignorance, but I'm not suprised seeing all casuals care about in a GTA game is just mayhem and missions are just side-activity for them once they're really bored.

Schismatist
  • Schismatist

The forum asshole

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

GTAIV isn't necessarily a "fail" to me, but it's lacking, especially in comparison to what GTAV was able to accomplish.

...at the end of the PS3/360's life cycle. You have to keep in mind that IV was Rockstar's first outing with the RAGE engine (if you don't count the table tennis game) on new hardware. You can't compare what V brought to the table in 2013 to what IV brought to the table in 2008.

I can, it really doesn't excuse the absence of weapon variety, car customization, and the sort. GTAV in its mechanics are just more intuitive and accessible. Now, things like controls, city, the vehicles themselves, that's all very debatable. But I can't really see anyone preferring switching clothing in GTAIV to GTAV(I seriously don't understand how they got this so wrong after doing it right in San Andreas), or the lack of weapons like the grenade launcher, or the parachute. 

GTAIV is a great game, I just don't see any excuse for it lacking these sort of features. I appreciate its theming and the world and characters Rockstar has created, but there just has to be more to a game than that. GTAIV in its gameplay mechanics, is fun, people say there's a lot more to do in games like Saints Row, and though I like those games, GTA has a level of interactivity that goes beyond the weapon you're using, and that's what made rampaging in GTAIV so appealing to me.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

Out of Commission

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

I can, it really doesn't excuse the absence of weapon variety, car customization, and the sort. GTAV in its mechanics are just more intuitive and accessible. Now, things like controls, city, the vehicles themselves, that's all very debatable. But I can't really see anyone preferring switching clothing in GTAIV to GTAV(I seriously don't understand how they got this so wrong after doing it right in San Andreas), or the lack of weapons like the grenade launcher, or the parachute. 

GTAIV is a great game, I just don't see any excuse for it lacking these sort of features. I appreciate its theming and the world and characters Rockstar has created, but there just has to be more to a game than that. GTAIV in its gameplay mechanics, is fun, people say there's a lot more to do in games like Saints Row, and though I like those games, GTA has a level of interactivity that goes beyond the weapon you're using, and that's what made rampaging in GTAIV so appealing to me.

Don't get me wrong, I agree on the omission of certain features being odd or downright inexcusable, like car customization and parachutes. Brucie and his lackey could have "tricked" Niko's "whip" and it would have made perfect sense within the lore. With the inclusion of helicopters, it only makes sense that you would allow the player an out for when they want to jump out mid flight (Vice City allowed you to survive any fall from any height), so it was a bit odd that they waited until TBOGT to reintroduce them.

In terms of clothes switching, it definitely was terribly slow in IV, but it wasn't that much better in San Andreas either (in terms of speed). You had to go through the animation of CJ walking out of the closet, checking himself out in the mirror, then doing the arm pump, and finally walking back into the closet. I have no idea why they didn't allow you to select clothes by their names in IV, then again, a lot of decisions R* make leave me scratching my head in all of their games. 

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

GTA IV is the game Grand Theft Auto deserves but not the one it needs right now...

dro0001
  • dro0001

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:30 AM

It's far from a fail, it is the best in the series, people just don't want a dark story, they want unicorns and fairies with rainbows everywhere in their games .

• SonOfLiberty, GameHacker666 and tikhung01 like this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:33 AM Edited by jpm1, 10 March 2014 - 04:33 AM.

people that didn't like the game don't understand nothing in life , said and out

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

Absolutely not, if anything.. it's by far in the top 5 of games from the last generation of gaming.

The story is honestly one of the best one's I've played in a while, aside from R*'s other gem RDR. 

IMO I consider GTA V a fail for basically moving backwards from what IV had to offer and just adding in features that didn't really change the game much.

• Official General and nobum62 like this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:44 AM Edited by godforgivesthelostdont, 11 March 2014 - 03:44 AM.

It's far from a fail, it is the best in the series, people just don't want a dark story, they want unicorns and fairies with rainbows everywhere in their games .

maybe they love the story, but don't like 80% of the missions being repetitive in a 30-hour game that well could've been cut to 20 hours.

• Bat Guano likes this

gdfsgdfg
  • gdfsgdfg

Pancakes

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:42 PM Edited by gdfsgdfg, 11 March 2014 - 03:44 PM.

When it comes to the story and missions I always loved vice city since it was the most realistic story by far honestly and was all a reference to many action movies with a good soundtrack and gameplay.

But what I liked about IV the most was the new engine seriously I was expecting rockstar to make V on the same engine with a few minor changes but its not like it at all, the ragdoll,ai and cars have been downgraded while only the graphics have been improved.

IV was always about driving all the time but from a realistic stand off its kinda true, that's what most crime-doers do those days.

• tikhung01 and nobum62 like this

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:54 PM Edited by Zee, 13 March 2014 - 07:55 PM.

For it's time it was good, but around late 2008 it really started to show its age. I think I wouldve enjoyed it more if the DLC had shown up sooner.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

IV is one of those games that will be more appreciated over time. It was a great game that people weren't ready for at the time because it wasn't exactly like the one before it which sadly seems to be a ritual these days when a new GTA is released. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

For it's time it was good, but around late 2008 it really started to show its age. I think I wouldve enjoyed it more if the DLC had shown up sooner.

A new Zee? :O

I thought IV was showing its age around late 2008 too and that was when I got Midnight Club: Los Angeles. But over the years, I appreciated IV more and more. Much more so when I finally joined the hype train for V back in 2012.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

GTA SA + GTA IV + GTA V = best GTA games yet. (though I still prefer V over SA. can't say anything about IV because I didn't play it too much to judge it)

all I want is playing IV and V in peace without formatting my PS3.....that's why I'm sticking with V right now.

• tikhung01 likes this

tikhung01
  • tikhung01

Maybe we're just sleepwalking....

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I've completed GTA IV >8 times (If i remember) and still, it's one of the very best video games of all time(IMO).

The details are amazing, even better than GTA V details.

• ten-a-penny likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:36 AM Edited by ten-a-penny, 21 March 2014 - 10:37 AM.

I've completed GTA IV >8 times (If i remember) and still, it's one of the very best video games of all time(IMO).

The details are amazing, even better than GTA V details.

the only thing I dislike about IV is the super bloom. I mean, yes. its NYC. but the bloom and dark stuff should be only in the cities. not in the beach :turn:

• tikhung01 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users