Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will there ever be another GTA as ambitious as SA?

76 replies to this topic
thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

This game honestly had it all. I don't know why V couldn't achieve what SA did, given that it was on a more advanced platform. Sadly it seems like R* is focusing more on how to milk money through online and DLC's rather than creating an amazing SP experience.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:18 PM Edited by Blennerville, 22 February 2014 - 04:38 PM.

Hopefully, if R* will stop putting so much focus on pointless things like they did in GTA4 and 5 (the cities still felt dull and boring).

Though I didnt really love SA, I am a vice City guy, but I still appreciate the ambition and scope of SA.

new systems certainly wont hurt either.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, considering San Andreas had such a gigantic map I don't see why they are going back down to 1 city now, even with as much desert and countryside they include.

I would expect bigger GTAs by now but oh well. I think they might do something like it again in the future maybe.

And to be honest, I think Saints Row 2 topped San Andreas and IV in every way except the map size.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I don't know why V couldn't achieve what SA did

I'm guessing because you were looking for jetpacks and CJ and all that dumb stuff?

• 02fishera, The Odyssey, Katve and 1 other like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

This is stupid. SA had a lot of cool stuff to do, but some other stuff was plain pointless, currently the only example that came to my mind is the "pimping" side-mission, if that was the name. Sure, yoga was stupid too, but at least with yoga you could get Michael's special skill a bigger length in usage. Also, what makes you think that V didn't achieve what SA did? I loved SA to a point where it was my favorite GTA, but GTA 3 made me realize it isn't. And GTA V made me realize that SA was really wayyy over-praised. It's good, I admit, I even enjoy it to this day, but V sh*ts on SA in pretty much every way. V's story may have sucked (I really liked it though), but SA was utter bullsh*t. Gangster comes back to help his family, and as soon as his brother disappears from the scene, he goes on to stealing f*cking jetpacks and jet-fighters. Also CJ's a bitch.

tl;dr : V achieved what SA did, and did even more. Also V is better in pretty much every way.

• I<3GTAV likes this

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

↑ I agree with most of that but remember that San Andreas was set in the 90s! It was meant to be cheesy and stupid!

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:34 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 22 February 2014 - 04:35 PM.

I'm guessing because you were looking for jetpacks and CJ and all that dumb stuff?

I was looking for more than one f*cking city and an actual forest

And that "dumb stuff" greatly increases replayability. You know why GTA4 was labelled dull and boring? Because it had none of that "dumb stuff"

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

And that "dumb stuff" greatly increases replayability. You know why GTA4 was labelled dull and boring? Because it had none of that "dumb stuff"

Since when was a jetpack ever a good idea? For what it's worth, since SA came out, every GTA game released after that had at least one San Andreas fanboy looking for a jetpack just to relive the glory days of "gangbangin as cj"

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:42 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 22 February 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Well GTA IV clearly took a different aproach. Some people prefer a serious and realistic game, others want a more crazy and cheesy one (like I do). I'm guessing GTA V was somehow a mix of both?

And I think it's great if they switch back and forth between serious and crazy to keep the series fresh and appeal to all instead of taking 1 clear path that rejects a bunch of players who liked the old games.

Since when was a jetpack ever a good idea?

Dear God, please forgive this confused soul who fails to see the glory of the jetpack.

:p

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:44 PM Edited by Blennerville, 22 February 2014 - 04:46 PM.

everyone has opinions, its not nice to dis someone else just because they like SA more.

GTA4 and 5 have more annoying pointless stuff (mechanics) than SA imo, they are annoying and forced on you more whereas in SA you didnt have to do anything.

(I didnt even like the jetpack, far too slow and clunky)

I more annoyed they got rid of the Hunter vigilante missions.

• AnDReJ98 and latigreblue like this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Since when was a jetpack ever a good idea? For what it's worth, since SA came out, every GTA game released after that had at least one San Andreas fanboy looking for a jetpack just to relive the glory days of "gangbangin as cj"

I'm not gonna argue over every thing SA had, the point is those things put together made the game what it was.

For the record, I would rather have a jetpack instead of f*cking yoga anyday

• B Dawg and SonofYankton like this

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

For the record, I would rather have a jetpack instead of f*cking yoga anyday

Checkmate, GTA San Andreas haters.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

i hope R* dont focus all the power of the new consoles on just graphics for the next GTA.

Id be happy with staying at the point we are at with just slight upgrades and 720p not dropping delow 30fps so we can focus on the game itself.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

There already was, it's called GTA V.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

This is stupid. SA had a lot of cool stuff to do, but some other stuff was plain pointless, currently the only example that came to my mind is the "pimping" side-mission, if that was the name. Sure, yoga was stupid too, but at least with yoga you could get Michael's special skill a bigger length in usage. Also, what makes you think that V didn't achieve what SA did? I loved SA to a point where it was my favorite GTA, but GTA 3 made me realize it isn't. And GTA V made me realize that SA was really wayyy over-praised. It's good, I admit, I even enjoy it to this day, but V sh*ts on SA in pretty much every way. V's story may have sucked (I really liked it though), but SA was utter bullsh*t. Gangster comes back to help his family, and as soon as his brother disappears from the scene, he goes on to stealing f*cking jetpacks and jet-fighters. Also CJ's a bitch.

tl;dr : V achieved what SA did, and did even more. Also V is better in pretty much every way.

Seems like nobody listens when i'm talking about this sh*tty annoying fanboyism like this...Especially when i read 'V sh*ts on SA in pretty much every way.'

OT: Can't really compare it. Both are great games, maybe OP the only thing makes you thinks like this is nostalgia. Looking without nostalgia glasses you will realize some things, and see better quality of game.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:52 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 22 February 2014 - 08:54 PM.

they just hate gta sa coz it has a afrikan american as protagonist and there racist

29f9tur.jpg

• Drunken Cowboy and Blennerville like this

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:41 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 22 February 2014 - 09:42 PM.

Seems like nobody listens when i'm talking about this sh*tty annoying fanboyism like this...Especially when i read 'V sh*ts on SA in pretty much every way.'

OT: Can't really compare it. Both are great games, maybe OP the only thing makes you thinks like this is nostalgia. Looking without nostalgia glasses you will realize some things, and see better quality of game.

It isn't nostalgia. I can make a huge list of why SA is better than V, but I frankly don't have the time or care that much to do so. V just benefits from better technology, if SA was remade with current hardware there would be no contest

• B Dawg likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Yes they where called GTA IV and GTA V.

Look if you feel that GTA SA is the best in the series so far then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I for one though can see past all the pointless and cheesy things that GTA SA brought us and it fairly bad storyline. Only thing I can suggest is to go and continue to play GTA SA if you feel that it is still the best to date. I  think that every 3D GTA games apart from  GTA LCS and GTA VCS are better than it.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

I honestly don't get all the hype over San Andreas. Granted it was a good game, but the other games since then have built on the strengths of it. Every game since San Andreas (bar maybe the Liberty City Stories) has been better than SA in my opinion.

GTA IV's map may have been smaller, but it was so much more detailed. San Andreas may have had lots of countryside but a lot of it was boring, cut and paste jobs. I used to avoid going out into the countryside because I'd either lose my vehicle and spend hours walking to the nearest road or die of starvation because the game forced you to eat every couple of hours. I think GTA V managed to find the perfect balance between countryside/city.

As for the side-features: Most of them were just as pointless and boring as GTA V's. Plus they need to be fitting to the game's story and setting. There's no point having gang wars in GTA V when Franklin is trying to leave the gang lifestyle etc.

• PulpFiction, ObsydianRaven and Drunken Cowboy like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

There already has been, OP: Bully, GTA IV, RDR and GTA V.  Now, I know that Bully and RDR aren't actual GTA games, but they are games that improved massively on what SA achieved.

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

I honestly don't get all the hype over San Andreas. Granted it was a good game, but the other games since then have built on the strengths of it. Every game since San Andreas (bar maybe the Liberty City Stories) has been better than SA in my opinion.

GTA IV's map may have been smaller, but it was so much more detailed. San Andreas may have had lots of countryside but a lot of it was boring, cut and paste jobs. I used to avoid going out into the countryside because I'd either lose my vehicle and spend hours walking to the nearest road or die of starvation because the game forced you to eat every couple of hours. I think GTA V managed to find the perfect balance between countryside/city.

As for the side-features: Most of them were just as pointless and boring as GTA V's. Plus they need to be fitting to the game's story and setting. There's no point having gang wars in GTA V when Franklin is trying to leave the gang lifestyle etc.

You stole the words right out of my mouth.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

If only Wade asked Lamar to steal top secret goo off a military convoy train with the assistance of a jetpack...

How very "ambitious" indeed, in our Michael Bay/Saints Row world of video games today.

• universetwisters likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

If only Wade asked Lamar to steal top secret goo off a military convoy train with the assistance of a jetpack...
How very "ambitious" indeed, in our Michael Bay/Saints Row world of video games today.

Looool Hahaha,now you just pissed alot of butthurt Saints Row fanboys Lol :)

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

While I like GTA V I just keep having this feeling that there's something missing from it. Maybe it was the lack of interiors or the fact that the cops were just too annoying or maybe that they didn't utilise the countryside more, I don't know something was just missing. Really my favorite Rockstar game has to be Bully, I must have played through that game 4 times before getting bored. 

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

they are annoying and forced on you more whereas in SA you didnt have to do anything.

That's a load of crap. If you weren't annoyed by CJ having to actually eat or trying to stop one of your turfs from being taken over you're looking at things through rose tinted glasses. I didn't like the flying school yet it was "forced" as being apart of the story. At least the one in GTA V while is recommended for a couple of heists is completely optional..

Anyway San Andreas was a good game for its time, but IMO as it's gotten older the worse it feels. Funnily enough it's not something I feel affects GTA III and VC as bad. Probably because those games were more focused instead of trying to spread themselves so thin.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

they are annoying and forced on you more whereas in SA you didnt have to do anything.

That's a load of crap. If you weren't annoyed by CJ having to actually eat or trying to stop one of your turfs from being taken over you're looking at things through rose tinted glasses. I didn't like the flying school yet it was "forced" as being apart of the story. At least the one in GTA V while is recommended for a couple of heists is completely optional..

Anyway San Andreas was a good game for its time, but IMO as it's gotten older the worse it feels. Funnily enough it's not something I feel affects GTA III and VC as bad. Probably because those games were more focused instead of trying to spread themselves so thin.

The flying school couldn't have been that bad right? Then again I've never played SA. Might get it from the xbox marketplace to see the big deal.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

The flying school couldn't have been that bad right? Then again I've never played SA. Might get it from the xbox marketplace to see the big deal.

Well to be honest it could be annoying as the plane controls were pretty horrid, but I hated the fact it was thrown into the story and had to be completed before progressing.

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

Well to be honest it could be annoying as the plane controls were pretty horrid, but I hated the fact it was thrown into the story and had to be completed before progressing.

How horrid are we talking here?

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

Put it like this is you've played GTA V take the planes physics used in that, add a ton of bricks and out of balance wings. That's pretty much what the plane physics feel like in San Adreas to me.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:45 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 23 February 2014 - 02:47 AM.

I would rather have SA plane physics rather than the sh*tty fake turbulence in V. It makes it impossible for smooth flight and totally ruins the whole experience

And the background music is incredibly annoying, is a peaceful flight too much to ask for?

• Blennerville likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users