Quantcast

» «
Photo

Comprehensive Tutorial for Cutscene Models?

20 replies to this topic
YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

I'm wanting to rig 3d models I've been finding online and since cutscene peds could work as peds but not vice versa. I'd really like all my models to be Cutscene Ready if users would like

I've found some of the cutscene models have different bones and extra ones (besides the difference from peds)
I'm talking Lbrow1, Lbrow2, Jaw2, jaw3, lip, Rcheek,  all that. How can I rig it so it is functional correctly?
Any pointers or tips perhaps? or links to better sources of information? I researched a lot and nothing too specific about CUTSCENE models rigging. 

If you could even give me a cutscene ready model that would be great and i could backward engineer them. 

When I learn, I'll be completing entire sets of games, animes, and movie characters
I'LL EVEN TAKE REQUESTS!!! JUST TEACH ME HOW!!!!!!

Thanks =D

RomanoLegio
  • RomanoLegio

Badass Roman

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:49 AM

These ''Lbrow1, Lbrow, Jaw2, Jaw3, Lip and Rcheek are for ''Facial Animations'' in the Cutscenes

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Oh yeah thanks haha I kinda knew that, a little obvious. I was asking more about how I would place them for different faces, headsizes, different jaws. I want to rig them to be fully functional. Talking, showing expressions, grabbing objects, putting the blunt in their mouth and not their nose or neck. I should've phrased it better. Thanks for the info tho

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:30 PM Edited by ZAZ, 21 February 2014 - 04:16 PM.

I'm talking Lbrow1, Lbrow2, Jaw2, jaw3, lip, Rcheek,  all that. How can I rig it so it is functional correctly?

look how R* rigged the models, export a cutscene model and use IFP IO to import a DFF because IFP IO is for animating, and it also import the Skin Modifier Data (The ped rigged).

If you could even give me a cutscene ready model that would be great and i could backward engineer them.

do you not have the game?

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:11 AM Edited by YoungDragonSD, 22 February 2014 - 02:26 AM.

Thanks for the tip about the IFP IO 

For the cutscene ready models i was asking for Outside examples. Maybe its because of my inexperience but I'd like to see how it looks for other Modded skins. 
does the shape of the character matter for that? Like a huge alien head with gigantic eyes, would it respond the same way as it should? 

IF NOT, how would i go about rigging the facial structure correctly?

Because if i had a dude with a crocodile head, flapping jaws, i don't think it would respond right

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Sorry for my ignorance. I figured out that my lack of knowledge in the terminology phrased my question incorrectly and the answer couldn't be found. I've figured it out now, and my question is, "How do I attach the cutscene bones to certain vertices of the model?" 

Well I got the answer for anyone else who is puzzled.

I found this guide by Creative Madman to be very useful for
rigging GTA SA model bones including the extra cutscene bones 

http://www.freewebs.com/creative_madman/rigging/pedestrianrig.html 

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION THOUGH!
Which bone should I attach a tail to? Does the pelvis, root, spine, or anything move in any way that would be cool for that?

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:03 AM Edited by ZAZ, 23 February 2014 - 10:13 AM.

Sorry for my ignorance. I figured out that my lack of knowledge in the terminology phrased my question incorrectly and the answer couldn't be found. I've figured it out now, and my question is, "How do I attach the cutscene bones to certain vertices of the model?" 

Well I got the answer for anyone else who is puzzled.

I found this guide by Creative Madman to be very useful for
rigging GTA SA model bones including the extra cutscene bones 

http://www.freewebs.com/creative_madman/rigging/pedestrianrig.html 

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION THOUGH!
Which bone should I attach a tail to? Does the pelvis, root, spine, or anything move in any way that would be cool for that?

You confuse me now totally
1. your question: "How do I attach the cutscene bones to certain vertices of the model?"
answer: this means rigging

2. your link http://www.freewebs....strianrig.html shows "page not found" because 3. creative_madmans tutorial nevermore exist

read creative_madmans tutorial reloaded

tail to Spine, upper body to Spine1
My tip:
1. attach every vertices to one bone, to the spine for example, save the file, export the model and test it ingame to see if it works or if something wrong with position (the char will be one fixed object)
2 . continue working with the saved 3dmax file, if the ingametest was successfull
attach now the vertices to the bones, these for arm mesh to arm bone and so on
you can always "overwrite" the rigging

i already told you: look how R* rigged the models, export a cutscene model and use IFP IO to import a DFF because IFP IO is for animating, and it also import the Skin Modifier Data (The ped rigged).

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Yeah sorry. I'm a complete noob. I didn't even know the term rigging meant attaching it to the bones. 

Thank you for the updated link. The old one works for me for some reason too ? haha

Spine2 for the tail right? does spine2 move ?

Alright i see how the models are set up now. I have few more questions about their movement and functions though
Like what is the belly bone for and how does it move the character?
Headnub, the clavicles, root bones as well

also I've downloaded a ripped model and I know it has teeth , toungue, eye lids, but what is the best way to get in there and actually select the vertices that are under the surface? i can't seem to get a good view or good selection angle. its difficult to make out with so many vertices overlapping

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:58 PM Edited by ZAZ, 23 February 2014 - 04:07 PM.

I got bugs as i tried to assigne vertices to Root, Pelvis, Bip01 L/R Clavicle, Belly

Breast makes sense for female chars, i didn't asigned it
Brow i also didn't assigne

So i made Ass to Spine, Upper Body to Spine1, Thigh, Calf, Foot, Toe0, UpperArms, ForeArms, Hands, Finger, Finger01, Head, Jaw, Neck
Looked good for ingame chars
Cutscene chars i never made

Ingame model have Spine instead Spine2
and a lot detail bones for face are missing like eyes, jaw22, rcorner, lips, lids and so on
you don't need to assigne everything but then the facial animations can't be shown

Why don't you make just ingame models? Riggin these details for cutscene is a very hard work and more modding fans are interessting for playable chars.

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:57 PM Edited by YoungDragonSD, 23 February 2014 - 10:59 PM.

THANK YOU so much. I'll leave those bones out then.

Well you're correct about people wanting just playable characters. It would even be simpler and done quickly. I just really want them to be cutscene ready because it adds more life to them and I've been wanting to change all the story characters.  They just seem so plain, not having any reactions while speaking.

Plus with the cutscene models, they will work for PEDs as well, no problem. So they'll be playable too

thanks alot for your help! I got a lot out of this

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Damn I still haven't had a successful rig. They just froze the scenes.

Can you STRETCH or alter the bones and still make them work?

I mean i see people with like 4 legged beasts and sh*t like that. How do they make them the appropriate size and scale their bones to make them behave that way?

I think i'm missing something crucial in my research

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

as long you dont resize the bone i think it will be okay....i mean you can move or rotate the bone..but dont ever resize it..

the 4 legged animal peds is just a trick...its like the 2 front leg attached with the left leg bone and the 2 back legs attached to right leg bone, something like that...

btw i think before you triyng to rigg cutscene, facial bone, animal ped or any other complicated sh*t like that, just learn how to rigg a normal ped properly, i mean in good quality... i've  see many rigged peds mods for gta sa but most of them have terrible rigging...

• YoungDragonSD likes this

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:55 PM Edited by YoungDragonSD, 01 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

but does moving the bone "resize" it? because it looks like the bone stretches when you choose to move the bones

Or what do you mean by resize? 

Also Indra P I have another question for you, seeing as you are a pro modeller. Are there any rules like MUSTs and MUST NOTs in modeling for gta sa?

​I'm using the latest 3ds max 

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

but does moving the bone "resize" it? because it looks like the bone stretches when you choose to move the bones

Or what do you mean by resize? 

Also Indra P I have another question for you, seeing as you are a pro modeller. Are there any rules like MUSTs and MUST NOTs in modeling for gta sa?

​I'm using the latest 3ds max 

i mean in 3dsmax there is something called "select and uniform scale" tool..the tool that you use to resize an object...dont use that for bones...

rules?i dont know..maybe that's it..dont rescale the bones...

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. Damn I'm having serious troubleI can't get any of these cutscnes models to work. Have you done anything like this before?

Or maybe i could upload my DFF and maybe you could inspect my work? i swear i feel like i'm doing everything correctly

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

cutscene model? yea i did some ... :

tommy and mercedes

Leon

ok..upluad your files..i will see the problem...

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qeo5q2

thank you so much i cant figure it out at all. i just rigged this model all over again.. no textures yet. just been trying to get the model to work

great modeling work by the way!

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qeo5q2

thank you so much i cant figure it out at all. i just rigged this model all over again.. no textures yet. just been trying to get the model to work

great modeling work by the way!

of course it wont work...the model has no mouth...i mean the upper and lower lips are welded...and also no eyeball...the model is not created to work with facial animation...its not your fault..its the model...

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Oh alright, i'll try to find a different model or change them my self when i'm able to. Unweld the mouth and teeth and eyeballs

But my real concern actually was trying to even see it in game. It seems like my cutscene just freezes even in the first mission with big smoke. It will just say BIG SMOKE on the corner but the screen is all black.
Did you try see it in your game? Theres some kind of error with seeing it in cutscene. I was trying to figure out why that is.

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

a dont know...didnt test it ingame... it seem fine in max..

YoungDragonSD
  • YoungDragonSD

SSJ4

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:58 AM Edited by YoungDragonSD, 04 March 2014 - 06:00 AM.

Yeah I thought eveything was perfect in max too.i've even applied animations to them and seen them work in perfect unison.

This has hppened to me with multiple models when I try to insert them into cutscenes now. Very frustrating because I've watch many tutorials on san andreas modeling and 3ds max tutorials as well

Can anyone test these models for me in thiers or find the problem withing 3ds max?
I am at the end of my wits here

I can upload more cutscene rigs if anyone can agree to check them out

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users