17 replies to this topic
iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

I couldnt find a Thread for this. 

Game was announced like 4 Years ago, in 2009.

Now, with the Wolfenstein Pre Order you get access to the DOOM 4 Beta:

wolf_tno_finalbox_flat_pcbox.jpg

Im actually too young (over 18 tho), so I havent played the first few games.

I know DOOM was big back then, so I really wanna know what they are doing with part 4.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

I hope they just don't borrow stuff from modern FPS games like aiming down sights etc. and keep the atmosphere. If they can do that, it will be a great game.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

I hope they just don't borrow stuff from modern FPS games like aiming down sights etc. and keep the atmosphere. If they can do that, it will be a great game.

Are there any significant Features Doom had? 

I mean Shooting Mechanics will most likely be like in Shooters. They have to update that stuff. Thats common. 

gtarelatedusername2
  • gtarelatedusername2

TSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:28 AM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 21 February 2014 - 03:32 AM.

What's wrong with aiming down sights? They can't get away with the 'point in a general direction and spam ammo because f*ck aiming' mechanic the first two games had, and Doom 3's 'atmosphere over enemies' style mostly worked against it. Doom 3 was essentialy a reboot of the series, and Doom 4 will be as well IMO, because it's been so long between games that they're going to have to modernize and come up with something new in order to stay relevant.

I guess an argument could be made that a certain niche audience would enjoy a return to 'retro' doom, but Bethesda is all about mass appeal so I really doubt it'd happen. My only concern is that the game isn't too easy, since a lot of modern FPS games tend to be extremely forgiving in terms of health and ammo.

EDIT: It's weird, because a few weeks ago in another thread I mentioned that I wanted to see Doom 4 but figured it'd never happen, and yet here it is.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

What's wrong with aiming down sights? They can't get away with the 'point in a general direction and spam ammo because f*ck aiming' mechanic the first two games had, and Doom 3's 'atmosphere over enemies' style mostly worked against it. Doom 3 was essentialy a reboot of the series, and Doom 4 will be as well IMO, because it's been so long between games that they're going to have to modernize and come up with something new in order to stay relevant.

I guess an argument could be made that a certain niche audience would enjoy a return to 'retro' doom, but Bethesda is all about mass appeal so I really doubt it'd happen. My only concern is that the game isn't too easy, since a lot of modern FPS games tend to be extremely forgiving in terms of health and ammo.

EDIT: It's weird, because a few weeks ago in another thread I mentioned that I wanted to see Doom 4 but figured it'd never happen, and yet here it is.

It was known, that DOOM 4 is comming. Its confirmed for like 4-5 years now.
Last year there were leaked screens of a 2 year old build which they scraped, cause it didnt match the quality they wanted. Ill post them screens later.

gtarelatedusername2
  • gtarelatedusername2

TSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:26 AM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 21 February 2014 - 06:35 AM.

It was known, that DOOM 4 is comming. Its confirmed for like 4-5 years now.

Last year there were leaked screens of a 2 year old build which they scraped, cause it didnt match the quality they wanted. Ill post them screens later.

It was 'confirmed' much the same way Duke Nukem Forever was 'confirmed' back in 1997. I remember the old renders from 2009, and that was pretty much the end of it until recently.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

I hope they don't change much, we need more classic FPS games to wash out the bad taste CoD has given us. Shoot, we need Counter Strike on next gen.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Loxley
  • Loxley

newLegacyinc Contributor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

I don't like the whole buy this game to get a beta of this huge game thing. That speaks volumes to me on the new Wolfenstein game. Obviously Bethesda has little confidence of it selling well on its own and has pulled this trick from its sleeve to cure that problem.

This happened with Crackdown on Xbox 360 with the whole Halo 3 beta gimmick. Crackdown was a forgettable game with nothing special and needed that gimmick to inflate it's numbers.

So, I am thrilled Doom 4 has made an appearance, but makes me think of the new Wolfenstein game as a budget sub par title that the publisher and developer has little confidence on it selling well on its own and has to rely on this gimmick to make a quick buck.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

not worth it. I don't trust them to not f*ck up both games.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Are there any significant Features Doom had? 

I mean Shooting Mechanics will most likely be like in Shooters. They have to update that stuff. Thats common. 

A shooter does not require aiming down the sights to have precise weapons. Look at Counter Strike. The game works well without aiming and stuff like that.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

I don't know if a new DOOM is required or not. It seems that type of gameplay style has long since died out. Not saying that is a good thing. I really f*cking miss oldschool shooters where you could move super fast, be dead accurate without having to slow down and use iron sights and just lay waste to sh*t with ease. As well as non regen health.

I never played DOOM 3, I don't know if people enjoyed that or not or even saw it as good as a true 3rd game.

All I know is either take the time to get it right and make it a true DOOM experience with the right atmosphere, music and gameplay. I love the old smooth style of 1 and 2 and duke nukem. I don't think that can be accurately replicated in a fully 3d game with a modern realistic game engine.

But what the f*ck do I know.

I just hope they take their time with it and it doesn't suck weiners.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

please Id software! bring back classic Cacodemon back! his stupid design in DOOM III ruined the entire game for me! :angry:

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

Dr. King Schultz

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:41 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 24 February 2014 - 05:56 PM.

I will get it if it ever comes out. I love the secret doors and having to figure out how to activate them. I think that is why I played Doom 64 so much. I think it had over 30 levels as well. I did own Doom 3, but I think I liked Doom 64 way better. It will be weird though without cheats. Well, I'm guessing there won't be cheats but who knows. Still looking forward to this.

ten-a-penny is right. Doom 3 was a laugh at most. Not nothing like the previous Doom series that we were used to.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I will get it if it ever comes out. I love the secret doors and having to figure out how to activate them. I think that is why I played Doom 64 so much. I think it had over 30 levels as well. I did own Doom 3, but I think I liked Doom 64 way better. It will be weird though without cheats. Well, I'm guessing there won't be cheats but who knows. Still looking forward to this.

ten-a-penny is right. Doom 3 was a laugh at most. Not nothing like the previous Doom series that we were used to.

seriously just see this:

cacodemons_master.jpg

what the hell is that grey thing? is that supposed to be the mighty Cacodemon? :sui:

• esmittystud101 likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

Dr. King Schultz

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

seriously just see this:

cacodemons_master.jpg

what the hell is that grey thing? is that supposed to be the mighty Cacodemon? :sui:

LOL. :panic: They really were deprite

• ten-a-penny likes this

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

They both look like sh*t tbh.
There are way better monsters in modern FPS

So I expect something that doesnt look like both of those "things"

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I like some of the character design in DOOM III (like the Pain Elemental) but seriously? why did you destroyed the Caco Id software? he was the reason why I play DOOM II! (yes. I love the cacodemon. so what? :p)

• esmittystud101 likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

Dr. King Schultz

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

They both look like sh*t tbh.
There are way better monsters in modern FPS

So I expect something that doesnt look like both of those "things"

At that time, it was all we had, and we loved it. I just feel old now. :lol:

• Th3MaN1 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic