Will I need a new psu?

8 replies to this topic
OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

OK I'm about to take a leap and start running a crossfire setup.

I have a 800 watt xigimatec maybe slightly more psu. I'm going to be running at least:

4 fans

DVD rom

i5 3rd generation k edition 3.4ghz oced to 3.8ghz

16 gb of 1600mhz ram corsair

2 x 2 tb hdd

1 x corsair 240 gb ssd

2 x asus matrix R9280X-P 1100mhz

and a performance cooler for the cpu

I think I should be ok but would any of you recommend an upgrade on an 800 watt psu?

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

800W will be more than enough for two X9 280X's. 

• OysterBarron likes this

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I just want to make sure as I'm transferring case soon and didn't want to have to reroute the power supply again if I potentially had to get a new one.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Which Xigmatek is it?

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I beleive it's this one

http://www.amazon.co...2&tag=xxsa01-21

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

It's fine then.
  • OysterBarron likes this

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:23 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 22 February 2014 - 02:26 PM.

I've encountered some problems after installing the second card. With the asus maximus V etreme i flicked through the manual and it states if wanting to use dual graphics cards you will require at least a 1000watt power supply for the benefit of stability.

On installing both cards my first one works fine but the second i'm having issues with. I uninstalled drivers like stated and placed both cards in, windows driver auto-detect works its magic and installs first card. The second card after windows driver installation it will flip the card into what i assume to be safe mode with a purple light instead of a blue one (blue light being the same color as the working card and the same color the second card is until windows auto driver install) and a green small LED light will come up on the card (all references i can find on the internet say any green light on an asus card is safe mode)

I've tried to install the latest catalyst and have just been receiving random blue screens of death aswell as a complete loss of signals on both monitors. It also corrupted my .net framework 4.5 due to me having to reset mid catalyist install because there was no signal to the monitors for over 3 minutes.

The only thing i can think is it's a serious lack of power or the windows driver auto install is causing this issue. but it manged to install my first card with basic drivers no problem and the second is an identical card.

but i am pretty sure it's a power issue what are your opinions

If it is a power issue i'm thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=ax1200i

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I doubt the lack of power is the key problem in this case. If anything, the current PSU might be defective.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:05 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 22 February 2014 - 03:07 PM.

it's strange as it powers up ok prior to windows driver install it's when that completes or fails in some cases that the light becomes purple with another green light on the circuit board itself. Trying to install Catalyst with it like that causes it to blue screen or when the screen flickers like they normally do on driver installation cause the screen to not turn back on again. Resulting in a reset and the the process starts over as it re installs the windows drivers due to incomplete catalyst install.

the PSU works fine with one of the cards.

The only thing i have left to try is putting in the second card now now i have completed the catalyst install, but every guide I've read has said remove all drivers first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users