Quantcast

» «
Photo

Looking Back was GTA V SP worth the Wait?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA V Poll (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Worth the Wait?

1. Yes. (92 votes [60.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.93%

2. NO. (59 votes [39.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.07%

Vote
Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yes it was and it is funny how you can't like a GTA game on a GTA forum without being called a fanboy. I wonder if other forums are like this. Maybe I should go over to the TLOU forums and call everybody with anything positive to say about the game a fanboy.

It's just the nature of the forums. It's always been like that for as long as I can remember. Then again I won the "Worst fanboy" award presumably because a lot of people don't like that I love GTA IV so much so you guys have nothing to worry about. :p

I think you also won that because it's basically an ongoing joke in the forum lol.

• TheOtherRyan and Captain Arthur like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Was it a good game? Yes.

Worth the wait, exhausting info droughts and insane hype? No.

You can see the crazy amount of work, detail and money that went into the game, but it still feels unfinished, both from story and gameplay perspective. It's like R* bit off more than they could chew. You can see their ambition from a mile away, but they just didn't see it through.

I think R* should give themselves a little smaller goals next time. Focus on one thing, not a hundred. You don't need to make the biggest game of all time. For V, those goals should have been heists and multiple-protagonist storytelling. Heists, the main selling point of the game, ended up to be nothing more than glorified regular missions. Breaking the Bank at Caligula's in SA had a better set-up than any V's heist. Why we can't plan our own heists as a side-mission? And as for mutiple protags, all three of them should have proper focus, instead of just Michael.

i think if R* just nailed these two things properly, V would have been a much more enjoyable and cohesive experience. Instead, they tried to out-SA San Andreas and out-IV IV and generally tried to be best at everything, which led to just being an average at everything. V just doesn't have its own thing, that separates it from the rest of the franchise.

• Official General likes this

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

On the whole, yes it was.

Not perfection and disappointing in places but then we were promised the moon.....

Still an awesome game that lives in my XBox some 5 months after release.

No we weren't. That's the problem with these forums. Everything that you think you were promised was in your head. People got themselves into a state where if this game wasn't the most perfect endless masterpiece ever, they'd be disappointed. The people of this forum overhyped the game. R* never promised anything other than a good game, and they delivered. 

Exactly. 

I was on this forum during all of the marketing for this game, and I'll admit, there were times where I'd let my excitement and imagination run wild - it was pretty dam hard not to with the amount of speculation and ideas that were going on and being created daily on this forum. But even then, I was still able to remind myself not to get too carried away, as no matter how great this game was shaping up to be, we were still dealing with 8 year old hardware here...and so to keep all expectations relatively realistic.

My advice to those of you who felt let down: if you're unable to keep your expectations in check, or control your imaginations when the next GTA is announced, then I strongly advise you to stay away from this forum (or the internet in general).

Same with me. I first hit this forum up around the time the game was announced and the trailer launched, I was so excited :D And the whole place was buzzing. Of course it took me about a year longer to actually bother making an account, I was generally more interested in reading rather than giving a view, I had other forums for that. But anyway, I too sometimes my excitement did get the better of me, but I always knew to try and not expect the world out of the game. I knew it would be great, but I made sure not to expect anything completely unrealistic or stupid. I was still excited beyond belief but I think it was a healthy level of excitement, though to be honest, as the release date got nearer I almost didn't want it to come out I was having such a ball just thinking about how great it is going to be. 

But the extent to which people got on here? Dayum. They expected absolutely everything. I mean, we're talking some really crazy sh*t, I remember seeing discussions where people were genuinely expecting at least 50% of the buildings to be enterable :lol: sh*t like that was never going to happen.

Many people just wanted and expected the game to do so much more than was ever going to be possible on both technical grounds (as you say, we'e on ancient hardware here) or on time grounds - they expected maps with a detail level rivaling IV but with a size larger than JC2, or expecting nearly every building to be enterable. These people wre never going to be pleased.

Then you've got the (arguably worse) types who will threaten to go and murder their entire villages if the game wasn't San Andreas 2.0 starring CJ Junior in the ballad of the gangbanging jetpack entrepreneurial bigshot because for some reason, they feel uncomfortable if the game of 2013 isn't exactly the same as the game they played in 2004. And after release, there also seemed to be a big crew of people who were unhappy that the game wasn't a carbon copy of IV too. That lot are even worse actually. 

All I ever expected was a fun game, and that's what they delivered. 

• woggleman likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

On the whole, yes it was.

Not perfection and disappointing in places but then we were promised the moon.....

Still an awesome game that lives in my XBox some 5 months after release.

No we weren't. That's the problem with these forums. Everything that you think you were promised was in your head. People got themselves into a state where if this game wasn't the most perfect endless masterpiece ever, they'd be disappointed. The people of this forum overhyped the game. R* never promised anything other than a good game, and they delivered. 

Exactly. 

I was on this forum during all of the marketing for this game, and I'll admit, there were times where I'd let my excitement and imagination run wild - it was pretty dam hard not to with the amount of speculation and ideas that were going on and being created daily on this forum. But even then, I was still able to remind myself not to get too carried away, as no matter how great this game was shaping up to be, we were still dealing with 8 year old hardware here...and so to keep all expectations relatively realistic.

My advice to those of you who felt let down: if you're unable to keep your expectations in check, or control your imaginations when the next GTA is announced, then I strongly advise you to stay away from this forum (or the internet in general).

Same with me. I first hit this forum up around the time the game was announced and the trailer launched, I was so excited :D And the whole place was buzzing. Of course it took me about a year longer to actually bother making an account, I was generally more interested in reading rather than giving a view, I had other forums for that. But anyway, I too sometimes my excitement did get the better of me, but I always knew to try and not expect the world out of the game. I knew it would be great, but I made sure not to expect anything completely unrealistic or stupid. I was still excited beyond belief but I think it was a healthy level of excitement, though to be honest, as the release date got nearer I almost didn't want it to come out I was having such a ball just thinking about how great it is going to be. 

But the extent to which people got on here? Dayum. They expected absolutely everything. I mean, we're talking some really crazy sh*t, I remember seeing discussions where people were genuinely expecting at least 50% of the buildings to be enterable :lol: sh*t like that was never going to happen.

Many people just wanted and expected the game to do so much more than was ever going to be possible on both technical grounds (as you say, we'e on ancient hardware here) or on time grounds - they expected maps with a detail level rivaling IV but with a size larger than JC2, or expecting nearly every building to be enterable. These people wre never going to be pleased.

Then you've got the (arguably worse) types who will threaten to go and murder their entire villages if the game wasn't San Andreas 2.0 starring CJ Junior in the ballad of the gangbanging jetpack entrepreneurial bigshot because for some reason, they feel uncomfortable if the game of 2013 isn't exactly the same as the game they played in 2004. And after release, there also seemed to be a big crew of people who were unhappy that the game wasn't a carbon copy of IV too. That lot are even worse actually. 

All I ever expected was a fun game, and that's what they delivered. 

I fully agree. People created the entire game in their heads and then got mad at R for not reading their minds when reality didn't match their visions. Maybe R could released more info sooner after the first trailer so people's imaginations didn't run wild but I doubt it would have made a difference. 

I expected a very fun and entertaining game and to me they delivered on that. 

cyaninternetdog
  • cyaninternetdog

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

Seeing that nobody has been able to unlock the full game yet I'm gonna say yes. Cant wait to find out what the mural and all the rest of the weird sh*t is about.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

I am going to bet my money that alot of people will Love GTA 5 more when Watchdogs is released.even though it not a GTA game,but a "GTA Clone" with hacking.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

I am going to bet my money that alot of people will Love GTA 5 more when Watchdogs is released.even though it not a GTA game,but a "GTA Clone" with hacking.

Its a clone now? Why cause its a open world game?

Does that mean Battlefield is a COD clone? With that stupid logic you're going off of. 

• Geralt of Rivia likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

Have to agree with redx here. Watch Dogs seems to be pretty different from GTA, aside from the open world.

xxiv435
  • xxiv435

That guy..... You know that one!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

Yeah i think it was worth the wait, but it could have been a bit longer and the heists were overhyped imo.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:12 AM

No, it was rubbish, and i hope rockstar never do this 3 protag nonsense again. I was shocked at V's story. It really ruins the adventure feeling that previous gta games had, as it is hard to develop a sophisticated story with 3 protags. A story with one protag allows for a sophisticated plot, and is just overall so much better.

• Official General likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

No, it was rubbish, and i hope rockstar never do this 3 protag nonsense again. I was shocked at V's story. It really ruins the adventure feeling that previous gta games had, as it is hard to develop a sophisticated story with 3 protags. A story with one protag allows for a sophisticated plot, and is just overall so much better.

R* did good at the beginning. As it went on, though, it got worse.

I rate the story itself 6/10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users