Quantcast

» «
Photo

Looking Back was GTA V SP worth the Wait?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA V Poll (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Worth the Wait?

1. Yes. (92 votes [60.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.93%

2. NO. (59 votes [39.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.07%

Vote
Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Nope, most of the people who said yes are just the fanboys sadly. 

Do us all a favor, and learn what an opinion is.

17th
  • 17th

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

I hate R*, and I hate GTA V but it was very good times, I mean waiting for release, and playing... V SP is very poor and pathetic but I think it was very good experience, and I want to wait another 5 years for GTA VI and feel this hope that they won't f*ck this up.

• Deadly Target likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

I occasionally make maps.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

I voted no because the story must be good for the SP to be good. IMO, the scenario was not long enough and did not end the way it should. Anyway, it's just my opinion and I'm not saying the game is bad, I just don't like it's scenario.

pokemon123
  • pokemon123

stuff

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

no i felt it was not worth it, i was really excited and when i finally got to play it it was meh,

Neo Arcadia
  • Neo Arcadia

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

No. V honestly feels like something that should have been finished three years at most after IV was released. Over 5.5 years is just laughable, and really exemplifies how R*'s poor management cripples development.

• Official General and BLOOD-MOND like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:05 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 20 February 2014 - 12:21 AM.

No. V honestly feels like something that should have been finished three years at most after IV was released. Over 5.5 years is just laughable, and really exemplifies how R*'s poor management cripples development.

It's not like they started working on V the second after IV was released.

EDIT: 4 years of development:

http://www.theguardi...auto-dan-houser

"Grand Theft Auto V arrives after four years of development, a 1,000-page script, months of motion and voice capture, and a process that saw 80 per cent of the ever-growing company – eight international studios and counting – involved in recreating a fully functioning metropolis based closely on Los Angeles."

So, 4 years of development, and probably at least 6 months of that 4 years being very early/preliminary work.

A long time, but not nearly the 5+ years of straight development people seem to think it is.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Ireland
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

It's not perfect but definetly worth the wait. It's a greater improvement from previous GTA's.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Yes, I think that GTA V is the best GTA yet. The vehicle variety, mission variety, combat and driving were all great and different heist options and other choices made added replay value to an already highly replayable game. Speaking of variety, the mission variety is the best in the series and there are very few, if any, filler missions like in previous games (i'm looking at you Life's a Beach and First Date).
As for the story, it was great, yes it wasn't as good as the story in GTA IV, but I would like to see those people hating on GTA V for story and nothing else, make a story that is better than GTA V's while still retaining the same level of quality gameplay that GTA V has. And also, it is a game, so, despite popular belief, gameplay is more important than story.

Why?, because GTA V didn't win the most GOTY awards? First learn what opinions are, and then learn to accept them.

Not even that. 

It took them 5 YEARS to create this. 

What did we honestly get? A game that has a sh*tty story with stale gameplay. City looks great but half the countryside is useless. The fact stealth is broken in free roam. Most of the focus was for the online. 

I like how you assume I'm going to say that. This is all going off my opinion and others that told me the same. 

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:34 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 20 February 2014 - 12:36 AM.

Yes, I think that GTA V is the best GTA yet. The vehicle variety, mission variety, combat and driving were all great and different heist options and other choices made added replay value to an already highly replayable game. Speaking of variety, the mission variety is the best in the series and there are very few, if any, filler missions like in previous games (i'm looking at you Life's a Beach and First Date).
As for the story, it was great, yes it wasn't as good as the story in GTA IV, but I would like to see those people hating on GTA V for story and nothing else, make a story that is better than GTA V's while still retaining the same level of quality gameplay that GTA V has. And also, it is a game, so, despite popular belief, gameplay is more important than story.

Why?, because GTA V didn't win the most GOTY awards? First learn what opinions are, and then learn to accept them.

Not even that. 

^Nope

What did we honestly get? A game that has a sh*tty story with stale gameplay. City looks great but half the countryside is useless. The fact stealth is broken in free roam. Most of the focus was for the online. 

^Depends on who you ask                                    ^Opinion                         ^Opinion                                                                                                                                                                                         

"Most of the focus was for the Online"

^I still don't get this argument. How was Online most of the focus when it came out late, was pretty much broken and hack-riddled up until recently, was plagued with tons of problems, and all that fun stuff. Meanwhile, SP has only had minor problems. But yeah, Online was the focus!  :rol:

I like how you assume I'm going to say that. This is all going off my opinion and others that told me the same. 

^Because you always do.                                                    ^Opinions. Not fact.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:44 AM Edited by redx165, 20 February 2014 - 12:47 AM.

Not even that. 

^Nope

^Depends on who you ask                                    ^Opinion                         ^Opinion                                                                                                                                                                                         

"Most of the focus was for the Online"

^I still don't get this argument. How was Online most of the focus when it came out late, was pretty much broken and hack-riddled up until recently, was plagued with tons of problems, and all that fun stuff. Meanwhile, SP has only had minor problems. But yeah, Online was the focus!  :rol:

^Because you always do.                                                    ^Opinions. Not fact.

Once again never said any of this was a fact. Please point that out in which I said everything I said was a fact. This is all my personal opinion and others I know that I happen to agree with. 

Even if it only took them 4 years there's no excuse for the kind of product they release. IV had one and that was they were testing the Rage engine and the FIRST using it for a open world. 

Once again its my opinion. I feel its stale gameplay with nothing really added to make V better than older ones. Sure controls are better but that's about it. They talk about adding all the great things to GTA V that were in older Rockstar games and they either add the good things but put them in bad or added things we don't like. 

Online was one of a kind for them. They already knew how to do it. Most likely the game got delayed due to online issues. All the exclusive DLC for online. I couldn't even find the car that they gave out. Is it even in there? 

The way money was handle is way better than Single Player. In Single Player half of the guns are given to you. Then it change cause Rockstar wanted to get greedy so they took half of the payments for missions and races to force you to buy their cash cards. ( "It's all part of the plan" - Joker, The Dark Knight )

May I also add that the mission were not really about crime as you worked with the corrupt FIB and was saving the world. 

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:05 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 20 February 2014 - 01:11 AM.

"Once again never said any of this was a fact. Please point that out in which I said everything I said was a fact."

I never said you said it was fact (lol that's a mouthful). I was just pointing out opinions, since opinions seem to be foreign to you, based on your posts. Especially this one:

"Online was one of a kind for them. They already knew how to do it."

What? How? This is the first time they've done anything like this before. They literally said before release that the way they're doing Online is new to them, and to be patient, because there would be problems...

"Most likely the game got delayed due to online issues."

How is this most likely? I think you meant to say, "I think Online was the reason for delay, based purely on speculation"

"All the exclusive DLC for online."

And what would that be? The Content Creator that makes no sense to be in SP? Or do you mean all the DLC that's for both Online and SP? (I think I'm missing one exclusive DLC, but I can't remember it)

"I couldn't even find the car that they gave out. Is it even in there? "

It sure is.

"Then it change cause Rockstar wanted to get greedy so they took half of the payments for missions and races to force you to buy their cash cards."

Well, I mean, except for the fact that they did it to stop the spamming.

You see, early in Online's release, people would spam the same missions over and over and over and over and over to make a ton of money in a short time. This is an exploit for what R* was trying to achieve (What's the point of having 400 missions if people are only going to play 1?).

So, they halved the money so people would stop spamming the same mission. Oh, and this all happened months before Cash Cards were released. Oh, and they delayed Cash cards because of all the hackers. Yeah, sounds like they're all about the money!

I dunno if this is considered going off-topic or not (Since it's on the border), but if you want to argue further, PM me.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:57 AM Edited by redx165, 20 February 2014 - 05:27 AM.

"Once again never said any of this was a fact. Please point that out in which I said everything I said was a fact."

I never said you said it was fact (lol that's a mouthful). I was just pointing out opinions, since opinions seem to be foreign to you, based on your posts. Especially this one:

"Online was one of a kind for them. They already knew how to do it."

What? How? This is the first time they've done anything like this before. They literally said before release that the way they're doing Online is new to them, and to be patient, because there would be problems...

"Most likely the game got delayed due to online issues."

How is this most likely? I think you meant to say, "I think Online was the reason for delay, based purely on speculation"

"All the exclusive DLC for online."

And what would that be? The Content Creator that makes no sense to be in SP? Or do you mean all the DLC that's for both Online and SP? (I think I'm missing one exclusive DLC, but I can't remember it)

"I couldn't even find the car that they gave out. Is it even in there? "

It sure is.

"Then it change cause Rockstar wanted to get greedy so they took half of the payments for missions and races to force you to buy their cash cards."

Well, I mean, except for the fact that they did it to stop the spamming.

You see, early in Online's release, people would spam the same missions over and over and over and over and over to make a ton of money in a short time. This is an exploit for what R* was trying to achieve (What's the point of having 400 missions if people are only going to play 1?).

So, they halved the money so people would stop spamming the same mission. Oh, and this all happened months before Cash Cards were released. Oh, and they delayed Cash cards because of all the hackers. Yeah, sounds like they're all about the money!

I dunno if this is considered going off-topic or not (Since it's on the border), but if you want to argue further, PM me.

In ways its true. This is the GTA forums after all which has more fanboys. Same can be said with any forum. 

First post you highlighted was a error on me. 

Meant to say GTA O is one of a kind and they wanted to focus more on something they don't know than something they do ( aka Single Player )

The game didn't seem to need that extra months off. Online still wasn't ready when the game was release cause Rockstar still couldn't get it up.

Name me all the stuff we got in Single Player: The Pistol, Tommy Gun, and a few beach bum vehicles. Online has gotten more. There's even people experiencing more glitches with Single Player with every update. 

Where is the new car in Single Player? 

They stopped people from spamming the same mission before they nerf the money. I agree that replaying the same mission over and over again isn't right but lowering the money to make things more expensive is just greedy. They figure that people will be force to buy cash cards in order to get the expensive sh*t. 

I wouldn't really consider this offtopic. We're having a discussion on Single Player and why I feel they took features away from SP for MP. 

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

Honestly? No.

As much fun as I've had with GTA V it doesn't really feel like something that was worth the 4 years it was in development. It may have a bigger map and more features, but I (and apparently many people) feel GTAO was the primary focus.

With multiplayer on a similar level to GTA IV and even RDR I think we'd have a better single player experience. Properties that feel like they were shoehorned at the last moment and the worrying focus on leisure activities opposed to criminal ones (note: I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the game) just kind of drag down single player.

It's still fun to an extent, but whenever I play it I usually get a thought that x and y could've been than z. Something always feels like it's missing or not done to its fullest sadly.

As I've said before to me it feels like R* were trying to reach a certain level, but fell just short of it. Whether it's to do with the aging consoles I don't know, but GTA V doesn't feel like it meets it full potential to me.

• Official General, AnDReJ98, HaythamKenway and 3 others like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:41 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 20 February 2014 - 05:42 AM.

"This is the GTA forums after all which has more fanboys. Same can be said with any forum. "

Yes, but you can't just automatically assume everyone voting yes is a fanboy for obvious reasons.

"Meant to say GTA O is one of a kind and they wanted to focus more on something they don't know than something they do ( aka Single Player )"

Thank you for clarifying! This makes a lot more sense.

I still don't think they focused more on Online overall. Let me explain this:

You've already heard me say it a bunch (Online can't be focus, it was broken, blah blah). However, I will admit that Online was the focus during the, like, 5 patches where it was only Online changes.

HOWEVER, I think they had a good reason. When Online was absolutely a f*ckfest, SP was basically fine. SP was fine, but Online wasn't. It took a lot of patches for Online to get fixed.

And the result of all those patches is SP being buggier than ever. Now that Online is fixed, they can start focusing on SP again (As shown by the last patch, where they actually fixed SP problems finally!)

I don't believe that R* focuses on Online more than SP overall, but I do know that R* absolutely focused on Online during that month or two (Although, like I said, they had good reason IMO).

"Name me all the stuff we got in Single Player: The Pistol, Tommy Gun, and a few beach bum vehicles."

Beach Bum: Broken Bottle, SNS Pistol, Vehicles.

Valentines Day: Tommy Gun, Vehicle.

That's basically all the DLC that included things. The Content Creator being Online only should be self-explanatory.

"Online has gotten more."

They've basically only gotten the clothes from the DLC, everything else has been in SP (Unless I'm still missing one, so please say so if I am).

Have any clothes been brought into SP? I'm not 100% sure on that.

"Where is the new car in Single Player? "

Should be in your garage, in the special slots.

"They stopped people from spamming the same mission before they nerf the money."

Can you provide the patch notes that show that? I'm looking through them, and can't find it.

What I did find, though, was R* increasing payouts on several things, including races, parachuting, and deathmatches, so they're not just nerfing everything willy nilly.

" I agree that replaying the same mission over and over again isn't right but lowering the money to make things more expensive is just greedy."

That's why there's 400 (Now almost 500, I think) missions. By lowering the money, you're making people go do other missions. When they do other missions, they make money that's not nerfed. They can easily make a lot of money just by going mission-to-mission. I know I could make $100,000 in just a couple hours.

I'm going by your call that it's not off-topic. If I get in trouble, I'm gonna be mad at you! :p

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Although I waited only for 2 years, I'd say yes. It's worth it.

Everybody has their own opinion. You dont like the game? Fine. But dont call those who like fanboys.

This thread was going perfectly well, so could we just keep on posting our opinions, and stop arguing?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yes it was and it is funny how you can't like a GTA game on a GTA forum without being called a fanboy. I wonder if other forums are like this. Maybe I should go over to the TLOU forums and call everybody with anything positive to say about the game a fanboy.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Yes it was and it is funny how you can't like a GTA game on a GTA forum without being called a fanboy. I wonder if other forums are like this. Maybe I should go over to the TLOU forums and call everybody with anything positive to say about the game a fanboy.

It's just the nature of the forums. It's always been like that for as long as I can remember. Then again I won the "Worst fanboy" award presumably because a lot of people don't like that I love GTA IV so much so you guys have nothing to worry about.:p

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

It's just the nature of the forums. It's always been like that for as long as I can remember. Then again I won the "Worst fanboy" award presumably because a lot of people don't like that I love GTA IV so much so you guys have nothing to worry about. :p

I am quickly becoming like you but with V.

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:36 PM Edited by ninjaontour, 20 February 2014 - 12:37 PM.

Nope.

Own all GTA games across multiple platforms, have been on the Rockstar train since they were DMA, and this is the first time they've disappointed me. I went back to GTAIV recently because V got old fast, and it's just a far better game in most respects (PC, of course).

Some of the design choices just totally baffle me, and the writing in the second half of the story is f*cking horrible.

A friend of mine often uses an analogy to describe Skyrim which I think fits GTAV perfectly; It's as wide as an ocean, and as deep as a puddle.

Not to mention that it looks and runs awful on the consoles.

• TheOtherRyan likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:37 PM Edited by Lucchese, 20 February 2014 - 12:44 PM.

It really does amaze me that people on this forum still give redx165 the time of day, or any sort of credentials whatsoever. The very fact he has the gall to label anybody a "fanboy" should be the only evidence required to understand that his sole position on this forum is to get a rise out of people. Just look at his member title ffs...

Anyway, the main thing here is that R* acknowledge that the reception of this game from the consumer has been overwhelmingly positive and met with great appreciation from the majority of the fans. This will prevent them from taking the Activision path and churning out rehash after rehash simply to shut up those who are blinded with nostalgia, and the - lets face it - entitled fanboys of previous titles who just won't belt up or let up unless they get back their...CJ/Niko/gang wars/SA 2.0/every other last feature from their precious game/etc etc. 

So, just so long as the widely held opinion of each new GTA remains one of admiration, appreciation, and overall positivity, while the petulant and entitled whinging continues to be screamed from the mouths of the minority, the future of this great franchise will continue to be kept in good stead.

• Cuexcomate likes this

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

On the whole, yes it was.

Not perfection and disappointing in places but then we were promised the moon.....

Still an awesome game that lives in my XBox some 5 months after release.

No we weren't. That's the problem with these forums. Everything that you think you were promised was in your head. People got themselves into a state where if this game wasn't the most perfect endless masterpiece ever, they'd be disappointed. The people of this forum overhyped the game. R* never promised anything other than a good game, and they delivered. 

• John Smith likes this

jimmycakes
  • jimmycakes

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

NO! it's really short and nothing like san andreas

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:19 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 20 February 2014 - 01:23 PM.

Can you please stop trolling?

It would be okay if you actually played the game, but you didn't.

OT:

IMO, yes. It was worth it. Some of the people who said no were expecting something like SA 2.0. 

Notice, I only said SOME.

RatchetAZ
  • RatchetAZ

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I'd say it was worth the wait, yes I could of waited another few months for the game to be really properly ready before being released but I don't mind its a good game still. Hope they take some more care over GTA 6 

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

On the whole, yes it was.

Not perfection and disappointing in places but then we were promised the moon.....

Still an awesome game that lives in my XBox some 5 months after release.

No we weren't. That's the problem with these forums. Everything that you think you were promised was in your head. People got themselves into a state where if this game wasn't the most perfect endless masterpiece ever, they'd be disappointed. The people of this forum overhyped the game. R* never promised anything other than a good game, and they delivered. 

Exactly. 

I was on this forum during all of the marketing for this game, and I'll admit, there were times where I'd let my excitement and imagination run wild - it was pretty dam hard not to with the amount of speculation and ideas that were going on and being created daily on this forum. But even then, I was still able to remind myself not to get too carried away, as no matter how great this game was shaping up to be, we were still dealing with 8 year old hardware here...and so to keep all expectations relatively realistic.

My advice to those of you who felt let down: if you're unable to keep your expectations in check, or control your imaginations when the next GTA is announced, then I strongly advise you to stay away from this forum (or the internet in general).

jimmycakes
  • jimmycakes

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Can you please stop trolling?

It would be okay if you actually played the game, but you didn't.

OT:

IMO, yes. It was worth it. Some of the people who said no were expecting something like SA 2.0. 

Notice, I only said SOME.

I did play the game, so how about you stop trolling?

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:04 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 20 February 2014 - 02:07 PM.

I did play the game, so how about you stop trolling?

You did? Really? 

What about all those posts you made in the PC topic that state that you haven't played the game?

Anywho, I'm gonna stop replying 'cause if I continue, then Raavi is going to lock this topic.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:06 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 February 2014 - 02:08 PM.

Tbh if all these nonsense continues,I see Rockstar Completely Rebooting (not Universes) the Franchise unfortunately that cant happen because of 5 reasons;
1.The Franchise uses a Multiverse Module and the games are under 3 Universes (2D,3D and HD)

2.GTA 5 just brought the Greatest Success any Franchise will wish for,earning $1bn in 72hrs and breaking 7GWR

3.The Franchise is SO Well-Established.

4.Rockstar Love the Fans -Old,Veterans and New

5.They have 45yrs of idea for GTA,plus GTA 5 redefined the Franchise with the 3 Protags System etc.

So people stop complaining about every little things in the game,i am sure future GTAs (GTA 6) will be great but we will still get complains.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Not 5 years wait. If it was 2.5/3 years wait, then yes. Overall NO. Vice City did better job for three months (for it's time of course) than V did in 5 years.

I don`t wanna sound queer or nothing but they took nine months to develop Vice City.

I read somewhere Dan Houser said they were making it only three months and it was rushed (Still one of best GTAs IMO). So, 3-4 months were discussing, 3 months making game, 2-3 months preparing for launch. 

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users