Photo

Squall is dead theory...

12 replies to this topic
SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:09 AM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 19 February 2014 - 05:49 AM.

I never played Final Fantasy 7 or 8 but used to love watching my brother play them and often helped him when he and his friends got stuck.  Today my brother told my about this theory and I decided to do a bit of research as it sounded intriguing.

Basically, the theory is that Squall dies at the end of disc one and the rest of the game is all just a hallucination created by his mind in death. The final fantasy.  This might sound rather absurd but when you die your brain releases a large amount of DMT (a psychedelic compound).  It's the same thing that makes you dream.  

Here's some videos explaining it in more detail and providing some good evidence.

I think it's true and I love how subtle it is.  Who ever said "it was all just a dream" is a bad ending forgot to mention it's only bad if the story makes it blatant.  My appreciation (boner) for Squaresoft just got way bigger.  They don't make them like this anymore...

Hopefully someone finds this interesting.

-----

edit:  Just noticed the ship in FFVIII called "Ragnarok" in Norse mythology is a series of future events and is translated in Old Norse to "Conjure fate".  In Proto-Germanic it means "Final destiny of the gods".  Coincidence?  Probably not.  

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

The problem with this series is that it's called "final fantasy", yet they made over 14 of them and keep doing so.

Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

The problem with this series is that it's called "final fantasy", yet they made over 14 of them and keep doing so.

Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

You just derped all over the place.

Humans are disappointing. 

tumblr_l7ms39eQzM1qd64z2o1_400.gif

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:19 AM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 20 February 2014 - 02:20 AM.

I've heard about the whole "Squall is dead" thing, and it seems even less plausible than the "Rinoa will become/is Ultimecia" theory. It just seems like one of those theories that pops up based on scant evidence in order to give the game some sense of coherency. FF8 is known for spawning entire forests of epileptic trees

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting to ponder,  but it still feels like grasping at straws to me. But then again part of the fun of FF games is all the speculation that surrounds them, and FF8 is the most notorious of the bunch in that regard.

Personally I subscribe to the "game has a terrible, convoluted story that makes no sense, probably due to localization issues" theory.

• Finite likes this

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

Personally I subscribe to the "game has a terrible, convoluted story that makes no sense, probably due to localization issues" theory.

Well I think the "Squall is dead" theory is more romantic.  The DMT trip is the final fantasy.  Makes perfect sense.

tumblr_mw9n7qT5BY1qf8btso1_400.gif

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:43 AM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 21 February 2014 - 03:47 AM.

Cutesy gif files aside, the "feels over reals" argument doesn't really hold water for anyone besides the individual who takes such a position. If that's how the game plays out according to your headcanon, that's all fine and dandy, but it's not going to change existing factual information.

But for the sake of pointless, Seinfeldian internet debates, I'll bite: Squall is not the first character to shrug off what should be a mortal injury for the sake of plot advancement-- in fact it's a very common trope in JRPGs. Cloud and Tifa did it, half the cast of FF4 did it, Tidus did it. Let's not forget recurring bosses that players 'kill' several times over. Were they all 'secretly dead', too?

It's like me trying to argue that Auron from FF10 was actually alive because Phoenix Downs didn't kill him outright.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:29 AM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 21 February 2014 - 04:32 AM.

I do not like your tone sir.  Dont you bring Tifa into this either dammit!  Let me have my fantasy! YOU'RE SPOILING IT!  We have similar avatars, I thought we could be partners...

You should eat some shrooms and see how your so-called "facts" hold up then Mister Scientist!

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

I only played FF X-2 back then on my PS2. It was my first RPG ( and the only one till Skyrim )

It was really fun but I never finished it. Wouldnt play it today though. I really dont like round-based fighting and it wasnt even Open World as it is in most RPGs. You could go everywhere, but it wasnt really "free".

I watched my cousin playing FF7 a few years ago. Looked like fun.

But either way, In not really into those kind of games.
Medival-like RPGs like TES or Modern/Near Future like Fallout are the only RPGs I like.

Unfortunately Fallout had bad shooting mechanics. I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R is exactly my taste. Only played like an old alpha version, but it was fun.
Wish they wouldnt have canceled part 2 in 2012...

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

Off-topic unpopular opinion: I liked FFVIII more than FFVII. Played it a ton more.
  • Coin. likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

I thought the story in 8 was fantastic (ahhh!) on its own merits, wackadoo DMT theories aside.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:47 AM Edited by Secura, 22 February 2014 - 07:47 PM.

The Final Fantasy series has a reputation for carrying overly convoluted plots but Jesus Christ, you're really clutching at straws if you think that the Squall is Dead Theory is actually credible, I mean come on, Squall's not the first nor was he the last character in the Final Fantasy series to bounce back after being mortally wounded for the sake of plot advancement, there are too many individual instances to count when this has actually happened in the entire series' lifespan but I do seem to recall it being most prevalent in Final Fantasy IV. 

Literally every character in that game manages to tank mortal blow after mortal blow just so that the plot can become even more convoluted than it originally was. Let's be honest here, I absolutely love Final Fantasy and VII is in my opinion one of the greatest games in the series and one of the greatest video games ever created. Even still that doesn't excuse the fact that, if I recall correctly, Cloud and Tifa pushed through similarly fatal injuries because they were wearing indestructible plot armour that basically makes them immune to anything that could in anyway impede or hinder the progression of the narrative as a whole.

• a20characterusername likes this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

Squall is probably the only FF character I hate, so good riddance!

-I mean he dresses like a girl!

Whaaaaat???

NeoCrimson
  • NeoCrimson

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Peru

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

About the theory, in my opinion... Squall not dies in the game. (spoilers) If he die on Disk 1 everything that follows from disc 2 onwards would not make sense, we would not know the role of Edea, the connection with Laguna, Ellone, etc.

Squall does not die in disc 4 (spoilers) because the the video where Selphie and Irvine filmed the celebration after beating Ultimecia, everyone is happy, that means that everything went well (include Squall alive).

Also, Kitase in the interview in the Ultimania says that in the game there is a happy ending.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users