Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why is music copyrighted, but games aren't?

12 replies to this topic
darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

I know that games ARE copyrighted, but they don't get taken down on youtube, where music is taken down on youtube.  But, why aren't game dev's that strict on copyright?

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

Because with music you can download the video as an mp3 and keep the song. With a game you can't play it off youtube.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Because with music you can download the video as an mp3 and keep the song. With a game you can't play it off youtube.

That does make sense.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a more complex system, but that's the only reason I could think of.
  • hornedturtle likes this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

Games are basically a stage/prop for the performer(youtuber) to act on. Music you contribute nothing to the work.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

I'm sure for games it's free advertisement, though it seems some companies like Ubisoft are dicks about it. With music, well, it's pretty much the same as having it for free as you wouldn't bother to buy it then. That said, I'm of the crowd that believes artists won't suffer for not being able to afford another mansion.
  • Street Mix likes this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

But music is no more protected than games are. I could head over to youtube now and find any song you care to mention - old or new. I could then use one of the many online 'youtube to mp3' convertors and whallop! I have the song.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Jc_39a
  • Jc_39a

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Music are copyrighted so you can't just take the music and say it is your music so you make the money instead of them. If KSI didn't exist, I don't think there will be as much people playing Fifa 14 Ultimate Team now.. So he basicially advertise this game for EA and make it one of the most popular game in the world.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I know that games ARE copyrighted, but they don't get taken down on youtube, where music is taken down on youtube.  But, why aren't game dev's that strict on copyright?

Because videos of the game aren't the game. The defining aspect of games is that they demand user involvement.
  • Moth and poklane like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:26 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 18 February 2014 - 07:27 PM.

exactly.

when you're watching a YouTube video of someone playing a game, you're not actually playing the game and you haven't actually shared in any of the physical content. you don't have a copy of the game and there's no way to get a copy of the game through the video. you're just watching it. you're not taking money out of the hands of the content creator.

when people upload music to YT, they're actually sharing the physical content.

the music file itself is the material that the content creator relies on to make his or her living. by listening to / downloading the file from YT, you're getting a full copy of the physical content for free instead of paying the artist who created it.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

They use to. I remember back then you couldn't post GTA IV cause Rockstar took it down for copyright. Now it would be stupid. Youtube is FREE advertisement. 

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

Well

1). If music is on Youtube, I could use that to listen to the music, and the creators of it would lose money. You can't have this with games.

2). Free advertising. Youtubers will play your game, advertising it and you don't have to spend a dollar for it. It's free advertisement!

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:03 AM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 21 February 2014 - 07:03 AM.

There was an issue with youtube videos of people playing/reviewing games not too long ago, and a lot of material was taken down. It depends on the company really. Some see it as free advertising, others see it as spoiling a game's story, or as a way to cover up negative reviews.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users