» «
Photo

Is GTA turning into a life simulator?

14 replies to this topic
Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Is it? Each one adds yet more mundane stuff for you to do like watch TV, browse the net, date, hang out with friends...

What do you think?
BQ: What new features would you add to the next GTA to furtherly turn it into a real life simulator? (doesn't need to be serious)

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

You have to be able to sleep on a regular basis and empty your bowels in order for it to be a full life simulator.

As it stands right now, protagonists eat whenever they're bored, have steel bladders, and are big, big insomniacs.

• thatGuyyy likes this

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

we have do laundry to get the blood out of our clothings   

• Zello likes this

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

I feel like San Andreas was worse for this than GTA V.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thats true seeing as how GTA SA actually made us eat etc.

I dont think you could even say that GTA is close to becoming a life simulator and it wont ever become close enough to even think of it as one. If they want it to be a life simulator they need to add us doing the laundry, brushing our teeth, showering, combing our hair, shaving etc etc.

• Adventureboy820 likes this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

AKA: BLOOD,BiiD or BloodMOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

We could sleep to save how game or skip time,the HD Era Games went into a grounded realism realm.
GTA 5 balanced it a bit,60% Realism and 40% Fun and Wackiness.i am sure next-gen GTAs would take the realism to next level.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

I dont think you could even say that GTA is close to becoming a life simulator and it wont ever become close enough to even think of it as one. If they want it to be a life simulator they need to add us doing the laundry, brushing our teeth, showering, combing our hair, shaving etc etc.

I thought you could shave and cut your hair in V and that it grows back again but I may be wrong, I haven't played it.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

I thought you could shave and cut your hair in V and that it grows back again but I may be wrong, I haven't played it.

True,you aint wrong bro.That just so mindblowing.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:25 AM

The series has definitely been getting more realistic and less zany since San Andreas, but I wouldn't call it a life sim, and I don't think it ever will be.

i am sure next-gen GTAs would take the realism to next level.

I think it'd be great if they went all out on whackiness in the next game. Not Saints Row level stuff, but at least sort of back to how it was in III and VC where pedestrians weren't afraid to pull a gun on you just for being in enemy turf, or where cities were parodies rather than re-creations.

• Tyla likes this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:41 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 21 February 2014 - 10:42 AM.

The series has definitely been getting more realistic and less zany since San Andreas, but I wouldn't call it a life sim, and I don't think it ever will be.

i am sure next-gen GTAs would take the realism to next level.

I think it'd be great if they went all out on whackiness in the next game. Not Saints Row level stuff, but at least sort of back to how it was in III and VC where pedestrians weren't afraid to pull a gun on you just for being in enemy turf, or where cities were parodies rather than re-creations.

Lol so you want the King of the Openworld/Sandbox Genre to go wacky?I can never see that ever happening,but yeah i am sure the will still be some few wacky elements.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

A life simulator never. What I will think it will turn into is a culture simulator. We already see the roots of this in GTAV.

What you see with internet browsing, the trash tv, the internet dating, it's all part of our culture now.

I don't believe Rockstar's ideal of simulating the world outside is ever going to be about replicating pissing and sh*tting and forcing you to eat every six hours. It's going to be about culture. Thirty years time, we'll all be online and when they do achieve their goal, my money is online will be the basis of it.

The first thing to go will be radio stations - at least, radio stations as we know them. No longer will they play a set list. They will be streamed directly through our consoles and change up weekly, reflecting the current hits. There may be one or two presets for older music, but nothing like there is now. News reports will parody the current affairs of the time; hell, even the weather may reflect what's going on outside. Hurricanes, for instance. Pedestrians will be updated periodically, introducing the fashions of the time, the way people interact and talk to each other. Think Google Glasses and how people chat away on those bluetooth headsets. This is no new concept: Miami Vice used to do the same thing when it ran twenty five years ago. You can see why Vice City was the way it was, so engrained in the culture of the 1980s.

The biggest feature they will attempt to capture are the changing landscapes. Billboarding and advertising will change. Construction will slowly take place on new buildings - the old will be demolished. Seasons will dump snow all over the skyline, cast the rivers in ice. They will have all of this to contend with in regular updates to keep the game fresh.

Where will this leave the GTA of old, the games set in the past? Long gone. I don't think we will ever see a GTA game with the balance leaning towards crime over culture again, at least not like San Andreas or GTAIV. Not unless they set the game in eras where crime was such a part of culture it was impossible to ignore (think New York in the 70s and 80s; what SA did with Los Angeles of the early 90s) will we see that focus, sadly. And this is why I think a GTA game set in the 70s has a good chance of coming up next. There's both enough parody fodder in the culture and enough crime to strike the perfect balance. They'll do it once and move on.

Come back to this post in 2044.

• universetwisters and Rainbow Party like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Where will this leave the GTA of old, the games set in the past? Long gone.

Seems kinda sad, though, leaving the classic III and VC in the past :(

Good post, nonetheless.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:11 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 23 February 2014 - 03:13 AM.

The post about culture is right. GTA is not about being a life simulator, its about offering a satirical view on current society

We can use ingame tv/internet/radio because those are mediums we use to see whats happening in the world

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Disreputable Mexican Pharmacist

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

They think they're making it "immersive and cool" by bringing all the mundane, optional, lethargic parts of daily life into the mix.

That might impress reviewers, since they're just seeing the features there, not realizing after playing for several hours that they're repetitive and boring, but for a person who's spent enough time in GTA it really becomes just a waste of time.

I wish they cared about realism and immersion more where it mattered... More realistic guns: effects, sounds, animations. More realistic cars, both in their handling and the types of vehicles you see on the road. More realistic police, somewhere between the dumb seacows of IV and the hang-off-the-side-of-a-f*cking-van-with-machine-guns-hardened-war-veteran-badass in V. 

Or maybe just make the environment seem more alive. I don't want to upload selfies, watch sh*tty movies, do yoga, and browse social network... I can do all those in real life, but I don't 'cause they f*cking suck.

GTA might be becoming a simulator of something, but it's too inconstantly unrealistic with its sh*tty plot holes and physics to be mended with the fact you can drink cans of pop and watch TV... All fine features for those who want them, but never priority over the core game.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

i like to have lot of choices myself . cause most of the time i play just doing nothing (walking..) . i loved IV restaurants , i would really like to see that feature improved in VI . it's very cool to drive around then stop to eat something whatever it's alone or with somebody . the boat trailer feature in V looks very cool too (not tested) . more TV channels would be cool for modding too . i have no idea right now of what could be added but no doubt R* will find ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users