Photo

Prohibition/Depression Era GTA

17 replies to this topic
Fidelio
  • Fidelio

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. After seeing what Rockstar did with the Valentines Day Massacre DLC, the little references to a late 1920's/early 1930's Chicago, I'm convinced that this would be a great location and time period for a future GTA game to be set. It would basically be Rockstars exaggerated parodied version of Boardwalk Empire.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

I see that setting more appropiate for a Mafia series game.
  • Blennerville likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:47 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 17 February 2014 - 05:56 PM.

You mean like this??

Between Rockstar, EA and 2K basically every era has already been done. I would like to see the 60s or 70s done in a GTA game since GTA London was a top down game and The Warriors wasn't really a sandbox game. I have a feeling Mafia III will be set around this time though and if EA ever decide to do a third Godfather game then it will almost certainly cover the 70s. The 20s, 30s and 40s were quite similar in terms of clothing, weapons and vehicles so Rockstar would just be copying already established franchises if they were to do a Prohibition era GTA which is something they're not going to do. Thats likely why they released the V-Day massacre pack as just that.. a pack. It evokes the feeling of a 1930s game without having to actually make one.

Fidelio
  • Fidelio

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

I understand that, but the Mafia games are more so in the 40's/50's and they're not that great in comparison to Rockstar open world games. I'm more so interested in R*'s way of borderline parodying that era in the same way they perfectly did the 80's for Vice City, the early 90's for San Andreas, the recession of 08' for IV, the modern millennial generation of 13' for V, and the end of the wild west period for RDR. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

I understand that, but the Mafia games are more so in the 40's/50's and they're not that great in comparison to Rockstar open world games. I'm more so interested in R*'s way of borderline parodying that era in the same way they perfectly did the 80's for Vice City, the early 90's for San Andreas, the recession of 08' for IV, the modern millennial generation of 13' for V, and the end of the wild west period for RDR. 

40s/50s? Did you forget that the first Mafia took place in the 30s?

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

yeah we already had Mafia for that and tbh the 30s were very boring, all cars looked the same and all people dressed the same and the music was sh*t so why on earth would you want a game like gta set in the 30s?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

I dont mind GTA going back a few decades but for me that would be going to far back. There are other games that have done that time period and in my opinion GTA doesn't need to go down that road. I just think that with the way GTA parodies the cities and entertainment etc thatit wouldn't fit together well for a game set in the 1920's or 30's.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:48 AM Edited by Rainbow Party, 18 February 2014 - 02:52 AM.

that's right, it's not relevant at all nowadays, especially for the market of GTA which is basically everyone who likes new action movies and games

Games set in the 30s are for people who really like gangsters from that era. I can see GTA going back to the 80s or 90s because they are somewhat relevant these days but there's nothing to parody from way back in the 30s since most people don't know much about them (me included). Remember that GTAs are huge projects which HAVE to be nothing less than perfect since lot's of time and money is invested to them. I'm not against games set in the 30s but a GTA scale one would be too much.

I think the 50s is as far back in time as GTA could go.

Having said that, a GTA with 2 time settings at the same time would rock!

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

TOO HAWNEE TO FIGHT CRIME!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:27 AM

That would have made for a much more interesting game. LA Noire setting, vehicles, and weaponry, but with GTA mechanics.

The iconic Los Angeles. The City of Angels, detective noir, the birth of cinema, and the dark underground mafia syndicate.

What are the motifs of GTA V? Social networking, druggie celebrities, and yoga.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

The historical settings wear out at the end of the day, and you're left with a video game. I just can't see a traditional GTA, with the usual GTA mechanics, being set before the 60s. The decades prior to the 60s in American culture just don't mesh with modern crime very well.

If the next game's set somewhere in the southern states then a moon-shining side mission would be neat.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

What are the motifs of GTA V? Social networking, druggie celebrities, and yoga.

Well yeah but social networking and druggie celebrities are a huge topic these days. It's very relevant to our present culture. Not saying that I like that setting so much because if it were up to me I would have loved it to be in LA in the 70s, not 2013.

But the next GTA will probably come out in 2018 or so, and maybe the 30s are more relevant or presend day culture is more boring in the future.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Red Dead Redemption 3 could do it (but not GTA).

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Maybe a mafia/gangster game, which is not a part of the GTA-series, but with GTA mechanics and stuff like that. I think R* would be able to pull that off.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

I wouldn't mind a Prohibition/Depression era GTA game only if it didn't focus on the Mafia. That would make for a far more interesting game, in my opinion. I think the Mafia theme has been done to death - there are other criminal organisations besides them. Give them chance to shine!

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

I wouldn't mind a Prohibition/Depression era GTA game only if it didn't focus on the Mafia. That would make for a far more interesting game, in my opinion. I think the Mafia theme has been done to death - there are other criminal organisations besides them. Give them chance to shine!

What other criminal organisations were big in the 1930s? Zoot Suit thugs?

Zootsuit2.jpg

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

How about the Irish Mob? They were Al Capone's main rivals in Chicago during the Prohibition Era.

(Plus zoot suits were pretty much all the rage during the 1920/30s, so I'm pretty sure even the Mafia would of been wearing them!)

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. After seeing what Rockstar did with the Valentines Day Massacre DLC, the little references to a late 1920's/early 1930's Chicago, I'm convinced that this would be a great location and time period for a future GTA game to be set. It would basically be Rockstars exaggerated parodied version of Boardwalk Empire.

yeah, i've been waiting a game set during the prohibition era from Rockstar. but instead of GTA, i'd like to see this game as a new IP. we start our career as a small time bootlegger, and ultimately we have our own bootleg empire. that would be awesome.

What other criminal organisations were big in the 1930s? Zoot Suit thugs?

Zootsuit2.jpg

zoot-suited thugs didn't exist in 20s/30s. they became popular during the 40s. remember LA Noire guys? there are some zoot-suited thugs in LA Noire "street crimes"

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

GTAF Lt.

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Saw this topic had to make a comment. I think going into another 'Era' GTA after GTAV would probably be a good move, I am bored of the modern-day GTA now as GTA for me has always been about music as much as the game (why I love Vice city so much) and any other era than now would be good.

I'd suggest since Mafia has already done this era, for them to make GTA6: Carcer City (chicago/detroit) in another bloody era for mob assassinations - the 1970s. 
I think it'd be a winner. there could be crude references to blues brothers, all kinds of things.

• Rainbow Party likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users