Model Railroaders like GTA too

13 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

So I was going through a model train manufacturer website, and what do you know? They're marketing a scale model version of 24/7!

http://www.walthers....ctinfo/933-3477

09330000003477.gif

• Rolling Otter and Alvarez like this

Ray Margarita
  • Ray Margarita

The American Dream

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Very interesting! Are you going to purchase one?

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Like for Michelangelo!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

This likely exists because 24/7 isn't trademarked and it's a generic spoof of 7/11.

• lizardman563, Cutter De Blanc and ZeroSafe5615 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Very interesting! Are you going to purchase one?

image.png

• Ray Margarita likes this

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Back around 2001 or 02' I made the 22-7 because there was a 24/7 convenience store in Astoria Queens NY... I liked the name but figured it would be funny if it was only open 22 hours a day for some reason.

The real place looked nothing like this and went out of business in 97' or 98'... This was an outdoor G-scale model (1/24th scale actually) with working lighting.

2hi8brb.jpg

• RyanBurnsRed, universetwisters, Wannabe in LS and 1 other like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Back around 2001 or 02' I made the 22-7 because there was a 24/7 convenience store in Astoria Queens NY... I liked the name but figured it would be funny if it was only open 22 hours a day for some reason.

The real place looked nothing like this and went out of business in 97' or 98'... This was an outdoor G-scale model (1/24th scale actually) with working lighting.

2hi8brb.jpg

Damn, that looks nice  :^:

Who made the vehicles? It's hard to find modern G-scale vehicles from my experience.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Trains are yucky.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:28 AM

24-Seven is probably the most common 7-Eleven parody name. Not to mention GTA has renamed them to 24/7.

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:38 AM Edited by ViceCityStalker, 18 February 2014 - 04:39 AM.

Trains are yucky.

I play with my train all day and sometimes when I`m lucky my lady plays with it for me but when I`m real lucky she lets me go in the tunnel with my choo choo! 

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:45 AM

So I was going through a model train manufacturer website, and what do you know? They're marketing a scale model version of 24/7!

http://www.walthers....ctinfo/933-3477

09330000003477.gif

Wait, This isn't real?  OMG, I thought this was a real place and these people were going "WTF, why are the windows in 2d?".

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

It's a standard convenience store in America which is a good business. 

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:07 PM Edited by McGyver55, 18 February 2014 - 05:08 PM.

Damn, that looks nice  :^:

Who made the vehicles? It's hard to find modern G-scale vehicles from my experience.

Thanks!

The vehicles are modified diecasts. Yeah, modern "everyday" cars and commercial vehicles are very hard to come by these days... the picture was taken around 2003 when there still was an interest in 1/24th scale diecasts.

In the past several years interest in diecasts has died down and several of the manufactures have stopped making models in that scale or have even gone out of business.

If you are interested in finding large scale diecasts look into MotorMax, Maisto and Welly... or just Google "diecast cars 1/24 scale" you should be able to find several dealers easily... MotorMax actually still makes a few nice SUVs, 80s passenger cars and even a few police cars in this scale.

Diecast was chosen because all the vehicles had to be able to spend time outdoors, and ordinary plastic kits sometimes warp if exposed to harsh sunlight.

The building is made from a special casting stone (weighed about 25lbs complete) which allows it to spend up to 2 years outdoors without much maintenance. The figures are also made by me and cast in an elastomeric resin... the figure is cast around a posable metal skeleton allowing it a certain degree of flexibility... clothing is also made separately using a special material that has scale flexibility and scale appearance. The whole scene was part of an "outdoor set" approximately 25' x 20'...

I used to make special effects, architectural and design study models and on the side I also used to make detailed large scale train and outdoor structure models for collectors.

Based on your choice of avatar, I think you might have liked one of my personal projects I started... It was a remote control (but track powered) G scale R34 NYC subway car, meant to operate as an outdoor "EL" line... I managed to be able to get all the workings to fit within/under the seats, roof/ceiling and undercarriage details and maintain an accurate open, detailed interior (no super thick floors, half seats or blacked out windows).

It actually worked and the doors opened and closed like a dream (the overall hardest part), but when I took it apart to make castings from it, the tiny, tiny, tiny bit of material shrinkage was enough to cause the doors in the copies to open sloppy and even stick (maybe that was more realistic, as it was a NYC subway)... I ended up scrapping the idea because it became too expensive (because of the time, materials and electronics involved, a working finished individual car would have to sell for around  $1900 each) ...

In retrospect, it was a stupid idea... but it was fun to run it back and forth between the test platforms. 

• universetwisters likes this

Wannabe in LS
  • Wannabe in LS

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

If I ever win the lotto, I'm so making my own railroad. Being in England it'd be easier to recreate a UK scene, but I'd much rather do something based on scenery similar to Blaine County. A GTA railway in my garden, it'd be freakin' sweet.

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

If I ever win the lotto, I'm so making my own railroad. Being in England it'd be easier to recreate a UK scene, but I'd much rather do something based on scenery similar to Blaine County. A GTA railway in my garden, it'd be freakin' sweet.

I remember when I was younger, I wanted to remake the Brown Streak's route from San Andreas all in HO scale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users