Quantcast

» «
Photo

The most underrated and overrated games of the 7th generation?

128 replies to this topic
iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:00 PM Edited by iiGh0STt, 21 February 2014 - 04:14 PM.

I just love how our "generations" are put into numbers that come so close together (what was gen 1? 10 years ago?).... I gotta say, that's complete made up crap. anyways...

GTA V was not overrated. GTAO was and continues to be a huge let down. which is why only dormant addicts with 1000 hours are still playing it. those same people could care less how broken a game was or is, as long as they can troll random people.. and by troll I mean online play in any form. GTA V focused on Online... and the true fans of GTA hate Rockstar for it. We want old GTA SP back damnit.

Sports games should not even be rated anymore, because no matter what mechanics change they are pretty much the same every time. I did like FIFA 14 though. Best one of the bunch by far (and I hate soccer)

BF, COD... f*cking dead. horrible, stay dead or I'll move your grave to the bottom of the ocean.

Hitman Absolution was nice. I think it actually set a very good standard for those kinds of games. Great looking too. I downloaded it for PC simply so I could turn the graphics to the max, and it was a very nice playthrough on Purist. SO MANY GAMES need difficulty settings like these, to include GTA. and actually, on a lot of missions in GTA, there was evidence of stealthness, but the lack of actually being able to be stealth at all other than avoiding other characters, could learn a lesson from games like hitman. crouch, for example.

Tomb Raider was good, even though I felt like a child in one way maze while playing it, they made Laura actually look like Tomb Raider should, a survivor. Maybe a bit more map freedom next time for a game of this nature.

AC4, epic. enough said. best game I have played since AC3... but I am willing to bet that if AC5 is anything similiar, it will be considered over rated... not true. its a bad ass game with very little flaws.

Forza... in general any forza. They need to pick a niche. Like NFS. Going from would be high end street races to a wanna be Gran Turismo, did not work at all. The newst forza looks great, that is where it stops. You are either playing on the lowest or highest difficulty and clean racing is next to impossible without a wheel. And btw, if you use the lowest setting, you should not be playing this type of racing game. I actually liked NFS HP better than Forza Horizon, or 5. And that, is sad.

Dead rising 3. I played the others and hated them. But 3, was a nice change of pace. I really enjoyed playing this game simply because I wanted to earn the Mega Man costume with the Blaster. It's kind of shocking how a costume like Mega Mans actually makes sense for a zombie game too.. I personally enjoyed this game very much, and I honestly thought I would not because zombie's have become as famous as paris hilton, and equally girly.

I still truly believe that once more free roam games come out, GTA will have to step it up or loose control of a genre they should be the leaders in. GTA has begun to think simply because it is GTA, it does not matter what they add or don't add... as long as the map is bigger and they can release some computer photos of altered would be game play. And now with GTAO, the classic basement dwellers who ruin all games, will flow by the masses.

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Overrated:
Any Assassin's Creed game

How? Everyone loved AC I, then II was a million times better and was awesome. Brotherhood was good, Revelations was good, but III is what screwed up the series. Black Flag brought it back to the II-type game, and now it's back.

I disagree with Hitman Absolution and MGS4. Firstly, they totally redesigned Hitman. Sure, you still have a specified target, and the bare minumums of what make a 'Hitman' game, but they streamlined it to a more.. casual audience, even going as far as adding the dreaded 'score' counter, god I hate that sh*t. Secondly! How was MGS4 overhyped? It was widely criticized for it's lack of gameplay, it was like watching a movie! Same with Heavy Rain! It was an interactive drama, and people constantly criticized both of those games! (Although, I loved them ..c'mon, CQC HYPE!)

But Heavy Rain was advertised as an interactive drama. That's exactly what we got, and I don't see why people were misled to believe that it was a free-roam game or something. It was incredible, in my opinion.

i thought people disliked assasians creed 1. to repetitive. I loved it thought, the control scheme alone made me like it more than ac 3, but i only got to play like 5 hours,

Some people did, but only over the years. When it first came out, everyone loved it. When AC II came out offering more diversity, then people starting counting every little flaw of the first game. In my opinion, they're wrong.

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

The first two were ok but with yearly releases and overhype make me feel the developers got lazy. Good premise but bad execution. Have tried a few hours each of Revelations, Liberation, and 3, and they all feel pretentious.

As for Heavy Rain, there's nothing wrong with a very heavily story driven game. Telltale's takes on the Walking Dead and now the Wolf Among Us prove this. But a good story driven game MUST actually have a good story. HR is probably David Cage's best game as it is the most interactive and not filled entirely with unnecessary bs like giant dream bugs or racist indian ghosts, etc. Still, I find it hard to understand how people can even compare it to far better stories in games such as Red Dead Redemption or the Last of Us.

That's still subjective. I'm one of those people that, despite liking TLOU, didn't find it the 'game to conquer all games' that most have. It was a great story, but none of it made me feel for the characters very much, unlike The Walking Dead. I don't know why, maybe it's because it was just Joel and Ellie. In TWD you had a whole cast of characters, and the way to treated them and what choices you made decided their fates. It wouldn't have worked with TLOU anyway, but that's just how I feel.

As for RDR, you really can't compare the two. I love them both. The thing is, as much of an awesome story Heavy Rain was, I can find flaws in it. But as much as I think I can't find any with RDR. Nevertheless, the games are totally different.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:18 PM Edited by ShadowDog94, 21 February 2014 - 05:30 PM.

As for overrated I would have to say TLOU. It's a great game don't get me wrong, but I found it had only enough value for one playthrough. Some people treat this game like it's a messiah.

Ironically, you treat GTA 4 like the Messiah.

Nah SOL treats it sometimes like Messiah yes but what he meant was everytime a word is said against TLOU, everyone goes crazy. SOL at least doesn't start saying things like "GTA IV won GOTY so it is the better game, blah blah", he can accept criticism for GTA IV and get into some good debates to defend it, there is nothing wrong with that.

When you say ''everyone'' are you referring to redx165? Because I honestly haven't seen anyone other than him do the things you've described. If anything all I see on these forums is a huge backlash against it for being ''overrated''. Of course, no game is perfect, including TLOU, and I'm willing to accept criticism for it, but I still personally feel like it deserves all the praise it gets. The only criticism about the game I can honestly give it were the swimming sections where you had to drag Ellie on a platform across the water. They're repetitive as heck and just dragged like hell, but other than that, not really any gripes that come to mind, yeah, probably my second favourite game this gen after RDR.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Comparing GTA IV to Messiah is pointless, Messiah was way ahead of it's time and is still an innovating game in my opinion in terms of gameplay.

Would love to see more games that let you play as a "host" in other types of bodies.

And you were a baby, which was awesome.

Messiah_Front_Full.jpg

• Th3MaN1 likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

@Daz

The sentence does make sense if you think about, what i'm saying is that people only complain about x in GTA V because it's a gameplay focused game, if it were a story driven game, no one would be complaining.

I'm comparing GTA V to MGS4 because everyone says that Rockstar is being greedy with GTA V but (in my opinon) what Hideo Kojima did with MGS4 is the greediest thing I have ever seen in gaming.

And if you didn't read the entire post, don't go assuming things.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

Underrated: every game I like

Overrated: every game I don't like

/thread

• Street Mix, lazy. and TheMasterfocker like this

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

shriek

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Remember Me

Has anybody even heard of this game? 

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Remember Me

Has anybody even heard of this game? 

I don't think I... remember it.

2740760-1735968_csi_miami_yeah_super.jpg

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I think people have to be clear what they mean by overrated.  Aka, by players or critics?

GTA IV, for example.  Critics have given it a flurry of perfect scores, yet lots of players say "its total garbage.  it sucks balls".  Me, I happen to be in between.  So when people say GTA IV is overrated, I think they mean by critics.  Not players.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

I think people have to be clear what they mean by overrated.  Aka, by players or critics?

GTA IV, for example.  Critics have given it a flurry of perfect scores, yet lots of players say "its total garbage.  it sucks balls".  Me, I happen to be in between.  So when people say GTA IV is overrated, I think they mean by critics.  Not players.

While a critic's opinion means more than a normal gamer's (they just know their sh*t better), in the end the only way to decide if you like a game is by playing it. Guess what? I played Aliens: Colonial Marines. I actually enjoyed it. Yes, it's a piece of garbage, but I enjoyed it.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:01 PM Edited by Pat, 01 March 2014 - 01:10 PM.

For my top three overrated games of the 7th gen, I'd have to go with The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. TLoU was a decent game but it did not live up to the promises it made (watch the video), and it by no means deserves the amount of awards it got (for example, being called the "Citizen Kane of gaming" and winning so many of the DICE awards that even Naughty Dog themselves were getting uncomfortable), Bioshock Infinite had generic gameplay padded by a 2deep4u story that Ken Levine admitted he wrote because it "made him feel stupid" and in the end I think it showcases more plotholes than alternate universes, and Skyrim was a horribly dumbed down RPG suffering from Bethesda's usual problem of your choices basically being irrelevant and its infinite quests amounting to nothing more than fetch quests.

For top three underrated, I'll go with Deadly Premonition, Spec Ops: The Line, and Max Payne 3. Deadly Premonition is an example of bad gameplay driven by good story, and I think that's a hell of a lot harder to manage than bad story driven by good gameplay. Keep in mind Swery never wanted the combat sequences added to the game, so if they feel out of place, it's because they were never meant to be there; Spec Ops: The Line is similar, although I'd say it's gameplay is a lot easier to deal with than DP's. I would criticize it for shoehorning in a multiplayer component, but like DP's combat, that was forced into the game by the publisher and the developers themselves did not want it; Max Payne 3, I tend to agree with people that criticize the writing, but in terms of mechanics I think it is the best third person shooter currently on the market. It was a breath of fresh air in a genre dominated by cover-based shooters, and if you were using cover in Max Payne 3, you were simply doing it wrong.

And before someone rushes to defend or attack my choices, please note these are simply my opinions and by no means will I blame you for disagreeing with me. As much as I am criticizing the three games I chose for my overrated choices, I still enjoyed playing them - I just don't think they deserve the amount of praise they receive. That's the problem I think a lot of you are having with this thread, you're confusing overrated for "popular but bad" and underrated for "unpopular but good." I think that's a silly way of looking at it, and I personally believe a game's general reception should be completely separate from your personal feelings on it.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Gunslinger_GK
  • Gunslinger_GK

STRR Lieutenant

• Members
  • France

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:40 AM Edited by Gunslinger_GK, 19 July 2014 - 01:46 AM.

Underrated : 

Condemned 2: Good fighting mechanics, engaging story and great graphics. I'll just forget the sh*tty cabin-level and the mindf*cked levels toward the end of the game. This made no logic at all.

Alan Wake: Solid plot and great episodic story-telling, wonderful scenery and presentation, multiple references to pop-culture (Twin peaks fan here ), great character development, and very good soundrack. Sadly gameplay lacked variety and some

mechanics felt dated and cluncky.

Max Payne 3: One of the best Tps of this generation yet barely no-one played it cause it is not Uncharted or GTA. Amazing soundtrack and i mean it, great plot, stunning visuals, lots of variety in the levels and setting and strong gun mechanics. Gun play is one of the best i've ever-seen. Free-aim shooting couldn't be more precise, finest body and bullet physics i have ever seen in a shooter: bullet time even lets you shoot ennemies' grenades while in the air.

Every bullet is rendered in real time and creates holes and wounds into the bodies of your ennemies. Plus multiplayer was surprisingly great and managed to include bullet-time in a very clever way. (Only players in your line of sight were affected by your bullet-time).

Metro Last Light: I had almost never heard of it, but it is a damn good story-driven FPS with great sound-design and graphics. Not a generic military shooter but something like Fallout and Bioshock had a child. Game has loads of interesting and customizable weapons and they felt and sound really great. You can go full stealth or gun-blazing depending of your mood or your ammo because you'll run low quickly. The universe is really immersive and the plot is interesting.

Tearaway (Ps Vita): at first i thought the game was over-rated due to the lack of first party Vita exclusives but it is in fact an amazing piece of work, i have NEVER seen a game so beautiful, graphics are just amazing, Tearaway's world feels real, the music is so good and relaxing and it is still stuck in my head.The game is a really fresh and creative plate-former where both the player and its avatar are the protagonists of the game as you interact with your fingers via the touchscreen on the game world. Long story short it is the best vita game ever and a damn good game on itself. Period.

Just thinking about this game puts a smile on my face.

• Th3MaN1 and FAT CURRY like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Overrated:

Zelda: Twilight Princess (though it was more of a port)

Each to their opinion and all that, but for me this deserved all the acclaim that it got. From a personal experience, I was waiting years for a Zelda game that came close to what OOT offered, and TP seemed to hit it perfectly, and not just in terms of the graphics either.

Haven't read through the full topic, so not sure if mentioned, but Bulletstorm was a highly underrated game imo. More than just a running and gunning game that the majority of FPS games offer, this game actually saw you having to pull off 'trick' kills in order to receive upgrades and bonuses. Had a hell of a lot of fun playing through the game, and pretty gutted that there'll be no sequel.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:31 AM Edited by Street Mix, 29 July 2014 - 04:54 AM.

Overrated: Mass Effect games, Dead Space games, Halo games, RDR2 (good game but not the ultimate masterpiece), BioShock 1, The Darkness.

Underrated: Kane & Lynch games, MP3, Midnight Club LA, The BIGS 1/2, FIFA Street 4, Driver San Francisco.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

I might have laughed, if I had remembered how. Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

Overrated cod series, saints row series, gtao

Underrated MP3, MCLA, rainbow six vegas 1-2, operation flashpoint red river, ghost recon advanced warfighter, ghost recon future soldier, army of two the 40th day, metal gear rising

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

Max Payne 3 was really over shadowed by GTA 5. Terrible marketing by R* on that subject.
  • Th3MaN1 and Sting4S like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

I might have laughed, if I had remembered how. Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Max Payne 3 was really over shadowed by GTA 5. Terrible marketing by R* on that subject.

Yeah rockstar goofed when they did that. I mean you don't show off max payne when GTA V has just had its first trailer released.
  • Sting4S likes this

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:56 AM Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 08 August 2014 - 06:58 AM.

Overrated 

Skyrim 

The Last Of Us 

Any FPS With Universal Acclaim as their boring as sin IMO 

Heavy rain 

Uncharted  Series  - Fun games but when it comes down to it the Stories are Cliche tripe and i just don't think their as Brilliant  as their made out to be.

Saints row the Third & IV - Both Killed a good Series. 

Underrated 

Mafia 2 

Gta IV (General Public  only )

Max Payne 3 - Only Slightly  

Saints row 1 - for its time i thought it was Brilliant  it improved on the gta Formula in so Many ways though  looking back it was Considered just a cheap   Knock Off by Many.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Overrated:

- GTAV
- Every NFS made by sh*te-erion Games. Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted (doesn't even deserve to be called Most Wanted, it should just be called The sh*t One or something), Rivals.
- Borderlands

Underrated:

- Midnight Club: Los Angeles
- GTA IV
- Far Cry 2
- NFS ProStreet
- The Lost and Damned
- Gran Turismo 6
  • Street Mix and maxpaynefan like this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Overrated: The Last of Us

Underrated: Spec Ops: The Line

• Th3MaN1 and TheMasterfocker like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

Overrated: RDR2 (good game but not the ultimate masterpiece)

What is RDR2?

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Secretly a GTA IV fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:31 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 14 August 2014 - 11:31 PM.

Overrated:

- GTAV
- Every NFS made by sh*te-erion Games. Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted (doesn't even deserve to be called Most Wanted, it should just be called The sh*t One or something), Rivals.
- Borderlands

Underrated:

- Midnight Club: Los Angeles
- GTA IV
- Far Cry 2
- NFS ProStreet
- The Lost and Damned
- Gran Turismo 6

Just saying, I don't think a game that's critically acclaimed can be underrated...

Sting: Red Dead Redemption is technically the second in the series.

Aby
  • Aby

★ Sexualizer ★

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Biggest Like Whore 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Best New Member 2013

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

Underrated = Tomb Raider

Overrated = Bioshock Infinite

Overrated as f*ck = GTAV

dillono
  • dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Underrated = Tomb Raider

Overrated = Bioshock Infinite

Overrated as f*ck = GTAV

>Saying GTA V is overrated as f*ck on a Forum about the GTA Franchise

>Calling Tomb Raider Underrated

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Advocate For GTA Online Map Additions

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:04 AM Edited by The7thOne, 17 August 2014 - 01:04 AM.

Overrated:

-Any Call of Duty game

Underrated:

-Dishonored

-Dead Island

-Assassin's Creed 1

That's all I can think of right now at the top of my head.

N7Operative84
  • N7Operative84

N7 Operative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Overrated:

Mass Effect 2

All Call Of Duty games after COD4

Resident Evil 4 HD ( The start of action in Resident Evil.)

Underrated.

GhostBusters The Videogame

Max Payne 3

• maxpaynefan likes this

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Superior Mobile OS

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:43 PM Edited by Android, 21 August 2014 - 09:44 PM.

Over Rated has to be The Last of Us.. so many people praising this game like it's a god. Very annoying.

Under Rated would have to be Modern Warfare 3 (weird game to pick, I know). So many people hate this game for no reason, when in all reality it's way better than the other games released after this title.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

Over Rated has to be The Last of Us.. so many people praising this game like it's a god. Very annoying.

Under Rated would have to be Modern Warfare 3 (weird game to pick, I know). So many people hate this game for no reason, when in all reality it's way better than the other games released after this title.

I don't hate modern warfare 3, but I'd struggle to say it's better than the first black ops, or mw2

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Superior Mobile OS

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

I don't hate modern warfare 3, but I'd struggle to say it's better than the first black ops, or mw2

I've seen a crap load of people hating on it. Honestly, MW3 is right up there with CoD 4 in terms of gameplay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users