Quantcast

» «
Photo

The most underrated and overrated games of the 7th generation?

128 replies to this topic
Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

GTA is supposed to be just killing, it does have some sneaky parts, buts not at the level of Splinter Cell or TLOU because the game isn't designed around that. GTA V is designed like an action movie, all about the sequences, like the shoot out in Paleto Bay, or the getaway from the Union Depository.

And those 3 options are actually two. Sneaking past is still stealth.

Just like The Last of Us is a survival type game. It's design for stealth. You can't say it has bland gameplay just cause your ( Not implying its you ) playing it like GTA. 

Not really:

Killing using stealth ( You could argue that but I'm saying kill those you have to or all using stealth only )

Going all out ( GTA style lol )

Sneaking by them without doing anything. ( This is honestly the hardest to do. )

FINALLY. You're trying to prove TLoU is better without the GOTY sh*t! I'm actually proud of you! I can finally take your posts seriously!

BUT, I still disagree with you. GTA V is still superior in choices. You cannot possibly say a linear game is more interactive than an open-world one. If we're speaking strictly missions, yes, you're right, GTA V was quite scripted mission-wise, but there was soooo much sh*t to do in the game, comparing it gameplay-wise with TLoU is just messed up.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

The Last of Us ( The only reason I say that is cause PC and 360 player couldn't experience it and just throw out blind hate towards it. TLOU haters say it lacks gameplay? The game is about stealth not run out like a ADHD kid and shoot everything. It isn't like COD or GTA.  )

Are you only saying this because I said it was overrated? How can a game that's won the most amount of GOTY awards and according to you the best game of the year be underrated?

Honestly I think some people throw around underrated and overrated too much without understanding what each means. Really it just seems like another way for some people of saying what they like and what they don't. I know it's your opinion, but I really doubt you believe it's underrated.

You just seem to be overly defensive when people don't praise it regardless if they're PC/360 players or not . Hell I'm probably the biggest GTA IV fan on here and even I can admit it was overrated by the critics.

As I said I thought it was a great game for one playthrough. I tried multiplayer, but it didn't really hook me. It's a nice looking game with a great story (although I was a little disappointed by the end), but I think the god like status it's been given is unjust.
You can't say a game is crap because you can't run out. The game wasn't made for that. ( It's like saying DayZ sucks cause you can't play it like COD. The game isn't made for that )
Except no one says the gameplay is lacking because of that, that's just something some retard/troll (Most likely the latter) says or something you're telling yourself.

The gameplay is lacking because it's nothing special. At all. There is nothing new/memorable about it. It's just bland. It's also insanely repetitive. Let me describe most of the gameplay (Going off what I remember):

1a) Sneak kill/sneak past infected (Maybe)

1b) Sneak kill/sneak past people (Maybe)

2) Get to a point

3) Have to grab something to get across somewhere

4) Go through "puzzle" to get it

5) (Sometimes ambush)

With very little differences during the whole game.

The gameplay is the worst part about TLoU. It's better just as a movie than as a game IMO.

The game also has zero replay value. There is no reason to go back to the game other than the usual "Get all trophies" or "Beat it at highest difficulty", which isn't replay value.
So having the option is worst than what GTA V does which is just kill. 

The Last of US:
3 options:

Option 1: Stealth - Traps, Bow and Arrow, and choke moves.
Option 2: All out assault - Shotgun, Medkit, Pistols, Molotovs, and hand to hand fist fighting.
Option 3: Sneak by them. This is great for survivor but other game modes is just pointless to sneak by them. You will just get more supplies killing them and searching around. ( Haven't tried Hard yet but did try Survivor )

Grand Theft Auto V: 

Option 1: Stealth - The game stealth is broken and doesn't work that well. Once you break it you can't use it anymore. 
Option 2: All out assault - You're usually force to do this one. 

So tell me again how the gameplay is bland? You can do more in The Last of Us than in Grand Theft Auto V. Usually the people who say TLOU is bland hasn't played the game ( aka a TLOU hater ). 

You're trying to say there's hardly a difference. What's the difference throughout the whole GTA game? We just kill in almost every mission. I mean the first mission is we're already killing cops. 

Also GTA V might be the most linear game we've played. At the end of each mission there's things we had to do just to get 100%. You can't play your way. 

LOL, you're clearly a TLoU fanboy. Funny considering you're the one to judge whether or not someone is a GTA fanboy. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Also lol'd when you said GTA V was linear. It's an open world game, ffs. Gold medals are only they're to challenge you, they're completely optional.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

I can't see a point in getting into conversation with that green-fonted attention whore Sony fanboy. Just don't feed the troll.

• TheMasterfocker likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:32 PM Edited by redx165, 18 February 2014 - 07:33 PM.

I can't see a point in getting into conversation with that green-fonted attention whore Sony fanboy. Just don't feed the troll.

Was there a reason to comment? You provided nothing to the conversation and only posted that to get attention yourself. 

@The3man1

What do you define as interactive? 

In the Last of Us you can stand there while Ellie is reading jokes. You can interact with all the friendly NPC. ( Maybe we have a different definition of interactive? )

I do agree GTA V has lots of things to do. Some better than others. ( Don't take me for a blind V hater. I enjoyed V but no where as much as Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, and The Last of Us. )

@The Odyssey I'm a TLOU fanboy? Even though I even stated I enjoyed GTA SA and RDR more than TLOU? If anything I'm a SA fanboy. 

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:53 PM Edited by Zancudo, 18 February 2014 - 07:54 PM.

But, but... you turn almost every topic into a TLoU worshipping cult.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

I have no idea how you would consider GTAV underrated, it is literally the most overrated game to this date. Do you even know what that means?

How many times do I have to say it, I consider GTA V to be underrated because everyone hates on it just for being a gameplay focused game, see this post to see what I mean.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

BUSTED! Wannabe

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

I have no idea how you would consider GTAV underrated, it is literally the most overrated game to this date. Do you even know what that means?

How many times do I have to say it, I consider GTA V to be underrated because everyone hates on it just for being a gameplay focused game, see this post to see what I mean.

You clearly don't know what underrated means, The word is criticized, GTAV is overrated if anything 

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:46 AM Edited by DarthShinobi, 19 February 2014 - 12:49 AM.

It's only overrated if you fell for it. People expected way too much.

I think it fully deserves the praise it gets. It's a fantastic game.
  • TheMasterfocker likes this

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Why do threads like these need to exist? It's nothing but a circle-jerk where everyone asserts that their opinion is absolutely superior to everyone else's. If you call a game overrated, you are basically saying ''stop liking what I don't like'', and when you say something is underrated, you might as well say ''Force yourself to like this game that I like, even though it's physically and psychologically impossible.''

What the f*ck does it even matter to you what other people's opinions are about video games? Why does it bother you so much when a game you don't like gets so much praise? Why do you need to prove to everyone that you do not like this game? What do you gain out of doing this besides the snark of people who actually like the game? Is it so hard to simply say you don't like the game instead of asserting that your opinion is superior to everyone else's? How is ''overrated'' a valid criticism of a game when it's based on the popularity of the game and not on the game itself?

I don't even know why I wasted my time typing this, since we all know this is the internet, and whenever one person has an opinion about something, they are always correct and everyone else is just a fanboy. Oh well.

• Yogogamer likes this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

These exist because we can't have nice things.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

But, but... you turn almost every topic into a TLoU worshipping cult.

Even I think he needs to stop.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:55 AM Edited by Daz, 19 February 2014 - 11:14 AM.

I don't think it is best to go too deep into what things in GTAV were awful as this is not the GTAV section, however I will answer to the two points you are directing me at.

First of all, it SHOULD be a gameplay focused game, and I don't know of ANYONE who has said that is a bad thing. My annoyances with it are as always, it chooses realism over actual gameplay mechanics and fun. For example, having to hold down a button in order to run, when there is not a single time in the game I have felt the need to walk. EVER. We know how to gently move the analog stick.

And onto your two points, cash cards. I am not against games offering shortcuts in exchange for money. The issue I have with it is that because of the incorrect way it is implemented, it negatively affects the game economy. They rip us off and continuously attempt to drain us of our cash even when not spending it. The game is designed this way to always entice you to buy the cards, they are not designed for people with less time on their hands. I am sorry but the best payout for a regularly appearing job is 18.5K, that barely offsets the price of having an adder die in shallow water as well as paying for RPG's and ammo. Or god forbid I may want to respray my vehicle lime green, it will cost me 20k.

In other games with microtransactions, the in game currency is separate from real money currency. This is why it is a scam.

As for your point about, yoga and pointless game mechanics. The issue is not the fact they are in the game, the fact is they exist and other things do not. Why even focus on it at all even if it is a glorified cutscene with QTE's, it is worthless and no help to anyone. Why would anyone EVER want to do it. Just like how you have to mop the floor in a mission. It is only there to amaze people and give the illusion that the game is so huge and has so much that they can afford to spend time on pointless mundane activities. Which is not the case. Give me replayable clown rampages, or LSD out of body experiences flying around the map. THOSE are good minigames, not f*cking yoga.

And yes, it is overrated, because everyone is jizzing all over it, rockstar this, rockstar that. I feel their storytelling and even gameplay in some aspects has been misguided and stupid for at least every game on the current generation.

• Miamivicecity, B Dawg, Ermac. and 3 others like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Was there a reason to comment? You provided nothing to the conversation and only posted that to get attention yourself. 

@The3man1

What do you define as interactive? 

In the Last of Us you can stand there while Ellie is reading jokes. You can interact with all the friendly NPC. ( Maybe we have a different definition of interactive? )

I do agree GTA V has lots of things to do. Some better than others. ( Don't take me for a blind V hater. I enjoyed V but no where as much as Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, and The Last of Us. )

@The Odyssey I'm a TLOU fanboy? Even though I even stated I enjoyed GTA SA and RDR more than TLOU? If anything I'm a SA fanboy. 

All that sh*t to do is the interactivity. You can start the activities at any point you want. That is interactivity. And there's quite a lot of NPC dialogues in GTA V too.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:30 PM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 20 February 2014 - 01:33 AM.

I don't think it is best to go too deep into what things in GTAV were awful as this is not the GTAV section, however I will answer to the two points you are directing me at.

First of all, it SHOULD be a gameplay focused game, and I don't know of ANYONE who has said that is a bad thing. My annoyances with it are as always, it chooses realism over actual gameplay mechanics and fun. For example, having to hold down a button in order to run, when there is not a single time in the game I have felt the need to walk. EVER. We know how to gently move the analog stick.

And onto your two points, cash cards. I am not against games offering shortcuts in exchange for money. The issue I have with it is that because of the incorrect way it is implemented, it negatively affects the game economy. They rip us off and continuously attempt to drain us of our cash even when not spending it. The game is designed this way to always entice you to buy the cards, they are not designed for people with less time on their hands. I am sorry but the best payout for a regularly appearing job is 18.5K, that barely offsets the price of having an adder die in shallow water as well as paying for RPG's and ammo. Or god forbid I may want to respray my vehicle lime green, it will cost me 20k.

In other games with microtransactions, the in game currency is separate from real money currency. This is why it is a scam.

As for your point about, yoga and pointless game mechanics. The issue is not the fact they are in the game, the fact is they exist and other things do not. Why even focus on it at all even if it is a glorified cutscene with QTE's, it is worthless and no help to anyone. Why would anyone EVER want to do it. Just like how you have to mop the floor in a mission. It is only there to amaze people and give the illusion that the game is so huge and has so much that they can afford to spend time on pointless mundane activities. Which is not the case. Give me replayable clown rampages, or LSD out of body experiences flying around the map. THOSE are good minigames, not f*cking yoga.

And yes, it is overrated, because everyone is jizzing all over it, rockstar this, rockstar that. I feel their storytelling and even gameplay in some aspects has been misguided and stupid for at least every game on the current generation.

People are not complaining about it being a gameplay focused game, they are complaining because it's a gameplay focused game, if GTA V was a mainstream game which sacrificed gameplay for story, no one would be complaining about cash cards and MGS4 is the proof.

And did you even read the entire post? I am not saying that Cash Cards and Yoga are excellent additions to the game, i'm saying that story driven games are doing comparable things and get no criticism for it while when GTA V does it, everyone flips their sh*t.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

As for overrated I would have to say TLOU. It's a great game don't get me wrong, but I found it had only enough value for one playthrough. Some people treat this game like it's a messiah.

Ironically, you treat GTA 4 like the Messiah.

• FranklinDeRoosevelt and Yogogamer like this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

As for overrated I would have to say TLOU. It's a great game don't get me wrong, but I found it had only enough value for one playthrough. Some people treat this game like it's a messiah.

It's one of the best in the series, and one of the best games this gen, son.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

It's one of the best in the series, and one of the best games this gen, son.

I don't think you understand. I was pointing out the hypocrisy in complaining about people treating a game as a Messiah when you do it yourself.

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

No, that's not a Paul Smith coat.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Overrated:
Any Assassin's Creed game

How? Everyone loved AC I, then II was a million times better and was awesome. Brotherhood was good, Revelations was good, but III is what screwed up the series. Black Flag brought it back to the II-type game, and now it's back.

I disagree with Hitman Absolution and MGS4. Firstly, they totally redesigned Hitman. Sure, you still have a specified target, and the bare minumums of what make a 'Hitman' game, but they streamlined it to a more.. casual audience, even going as far as adding the dreaded 'score' counter, god I hate that sh*t. Secondly! How was MGS4 overhyped? It was widely criticized for it's lack of gameplay, it was like watching a movie! Same with Heavy Rain! It was an interactive drama, and people constantly criticized both of those games! (Although, I loved them ..c'mon, CQC HYPE!)

But Heavy Rain was advertised as an interactive drama. That's exactly what we got, and I don't see why people were misled to believe that it was a free-roam game or something. It was incredible, in my opinion.

pokemon123
  • pokemon123

stuff

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

Overrated:

How? Everyone loved AC I, then II was a million times better and was awesome. Brotherhood was good, Revelations was good, but III is what screwed up the series. Black Flag brought it back to the II-type game, and now it's back.

I disagree with Hitman Absolution and MGS4. Firstly, they totally redesigned Hitman. Sure, you still have a specified target, and the bare minumums of what make a 'Hitman' game, but they streamlined it to a more.. casual audience, even going as far as adding the dreaded 'score' counter, god I hate that sh*t. Secondly! How was MGS4 overhyped? It was widely criticized for it's lack of gameplay, it was like watching a movie! Same with Heavy Rain! It was an interactive drama, and people constantly criticized both of those games! (Although, I loved them ..c'mon, CQC HYPE!)

But Heavy Rain was advertised as an interactive drama. That's exactly what we got, and I don't see why people were misled to believe that it was a free-roam game or something. It was incredible, in my opinion.

i thought people disliked assasians creed 1. to repetitive. I loved it thought, the control scheme alone made me like it more than ac 3, but i only got to play like 5 hours,

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

People are not complaining about it being a gameplay focused game, they are complaining because it's a gameplay focused game,

I... uh... 

...what?

• I<3GTAV, FranklinDeRoosevelt and Yogogamer like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Underrated: 
Mirror's Edge
Midnight Club LA
Brutal Legend
The Club
Army of Two
Alpha Protocol
LA Noire
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Blur
Ridge Racer 6
Catherine 
Condemned
Condemned 2

Overrated:
Call of Duty MW2
Call of Duty MW3
Halo: Reach
Saints Row 3
Minecraft
Resident Evil 5
GTA V 
Skyrim

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Minecraft

Lul wut? I don't I've ever seen someone overrate Minecraft

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

People are not complaining about it being a gameplay focused game, they are complaining because it's a gameplay focused game,

I... uh... 

...what?

People are not going: "wah, wah, wah' it's a gameplay focused game" and getting all teary eyed, they are going "wah, wah, wah, optional cash cards" only because it's a gameplay focused game, if GTA V was a story driven game which sacrificed gameplay, then people would not be complaining about cash cards and MGS4 is the proof of that.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:49 AM

Overrated:

The first two were ok but with yearly releases and overhype make me feel the developers got lazy. Good premise but bad execution. Have tried a few hours each of Revelations, Liberation, and 3, and they all feel pretentious.

As for Heavy Rain, there's nothing wrong with a very heavily story driven game. Telltale's takes on the Walking Dead and now the Wolf Among Us prove this. But a good story driven game MUST actually have a good story. HR is probably David Cage's best game as it is the most interactive and not filled entirely with unnecessary bs like giant dream bugs or racist indian ghosts, etc. Still, I find it hard to understand how people can even compare it to far better stories in games such as Red Dead Redemption or the Last of Us.

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

I... uh... 

...what?

People are not going: "wah, wah, wah' it's a gameplay focused game" and getting all teary eyed, they are going "wah, wah, wah, optional cash cards" only because it's a gameplay focused game, if GTA V was a story driven game which sacrificed gameplay, then people would not be complaining about cash cards and MGS4 is the proof of that.

Every post I see you make has to do with you bitching about "story" games. Give it a rest dude. No one cares about it as much as you do.

• Osho likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Nah SOL treats it sometimes like Messiah yes but what he meant was everytime a word is said against TLOU, everyone goes crazy. SOL at least doesn't start saying things like "GTA IV won GOTY so it is the better game, blah blah", he can accept criticism for GTA IV and get into some good debates to defend it, there is nothing wrong with that.

• Miamivicecity, TheMasterfocker and CantThinkOfOne2013 like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Minecraft

Lul wut? I don't I've ever seen someone overrate Minecraft

Then I think you may wanna get your eyes checked out.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I feel Max Payne 3 was the most underrated game of the generation, easily.

Most overrated? Halo series, I liked the first one, but after that I felt it just became stupid.

• The Odyssey, FranklinDeRoosevelt and FAT CURRY like this

Jc_39a
  • Jc_39a

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

For sports games, they're not all the same, the gameplay are similar but different. On Fifa Ultimate Team there are new players and the players have different rating from last year.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

lol I don't know where to begin.

People are not complaining about it being a gameplay focused game, they are complaining because it's a gameplay focused game

You do know that this sentence makes completely no sense?

if GTA V was a mainstream game which sacrificed gameplay for story, no one would be complaining about cash cards and MGS4 is the proof.

GTAV IS a mainstream game. I have no idea why you are comparing it to MGS4. The reason people complain about the cash cards is because it does not offer any further advancement into the game. For example Battlefield 3 and 4 offered kit shortcuts to unlock all weapons. Once you buy it, you have them all, job done. With GTAV you spend an insane amount of money on a shortcut that due to the very nature of the way it is set up, you will spend all that money and not really have anything to show for it as a permenant feature. We are restricted on how many vehicles we can own. So eventually for someone playing the game a lot, that will not be of any help. Pegasus vehicles were the only exception, that you cannot ever lose them. Despite having to pay to get them out each time.

GTA Games have ALWAYS been about more gameplay than story. My problem with it comes when I am forced to put up with awful story related bullsh*t that ruins my gameplay fun. Such as the multiple character situation and them always changing their clothes and doing something stupid when I spawn in from multiplayer that you cannot stop. Constant phone call nags that you cannot turn off in multiplayer. Etc etc.

And did you even read the entire post? I am not saying that Cash Cards and Yoga are excellent additions to the game, i'm saying that story driven games are doing comparable things and get no criticism for it while when GTA V does it, everyone flips their sh*t.

No I didn't read the entire post, why would I? This topic is about the topic starter's questions only, not some GTA chat. As I said above, people couldn't give a sh*t about microtransactions in linear story based games because a lot of the time they have the storyline and that is it, rarely any replayability or activities can be done after the game is complete. People buy those games to experience it and then be finished with it, for at least a while. However with any free roam open world sandbox game like GTA, it is a constant nag. And as I said previously the microtransactions in GTAV are completely different to many other games.

The issue is not that people can shortcut, I don't care about that, they can do what they want. The problem I have is that now the economy is a finely tuned assraper and any time someone glitches any money they treat it like they are committing fraud and ban people just for the only reason that they just want to be able to aquire things in the game they have purchased.

Nobody asked for their MMO Nazi money scheme but we all have to take part if we want to play online with friends to mess about. There is no unranked, unsaved mode where we can have cheats and infinite money. We have to play along or have nothing.

All I ever wanted to do was just have access to any vehicle I want at any time and just drive it around the map, as well as the occasional mess around session with friends doing something silly. I don't need 10 adders and chrome jets, I just want the freedom to have a casual time. But the money system constantly cuts into you, even if you are playing the game how they want you to or not.

I shouldn't have to fear blowing up someones vehicle or my own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users