Quantcast

» «
Photo

The most underrated and overrated games of the 7th generation?

128 replies to this topic
Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Every Madden game ( Same sh*t since the PS2 era )

I also find this laughable. You obviously have not played Madden in a while if you think it's the same.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:13 PM Edited by redx165, 17 February 2014 - 08:13 PM.

Every Madden game ( Same sh*t since the PS2 era )

I also find this laughable. You obviously have not played Madden in a while if you think it's the same.

I have madden 08, madden 10 and I skip every madden until I got 25. 

Yes even madden 25 feels the same. Now Kick Returns are even easier and they still never fixed the stiff arm glitch which makes running OP. 

Also the AI is still piss poor and still doesn't block when you run. Some how the AI can intercept the ball without even looking at it and when you try to do it 7/10 times you will miss it. Fumbles are now even worst than before. Every game you get with a decent skill player expect 3-5 fumbles that game. 

Mobile QB are way better than pocket QBs. I rather have RG3 than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady cause they can't run if everyone is blocked or if the pocket is broken. 

All pro is easy and if you do All madden they just drop the ball every 8/10 passes. The game is broken. What can you expect with no competition. They will never fix it cause if you want to play with real NFL players you're force to buy it. 

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:17 PM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 17 February 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Yes, Crysis 2 is definitely underrated. I had so much fun with that game when I got it through Humble Bundle.

I actually wanna go play it again...

I forgot to mention that one, I loved Crysis 2, definitely one of the better FPS's.

V is underrated and IV is overrated? You are such a tool that it isn't even funny.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be an opinion, I find GTA V to be underrated because people hate on it just for being a gameplay focused game, and I find GTA IV to be overrated because people ignored how stripped down the game was.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

A couple off my mind...]

Underrated:

rain

Joint Operations

Overrated:

Uncharted series

Gears of War series

Killzone series

Half-Life series

• Street Mix likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Yes, Crysis 2 is definitely underrated. I had so much fun with that game when I got it through Humble Bundle.

I forgot to mention that one, I loved Crysis 2, definitely one of the better FPS's.

V is underrated and IV is overrated? You are such a tool that it isn't even funny.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be an opinion, I find GTA V to be underrated because people hate on it just for being a gameplay focused game, and I find GTA IV to be overrated because people ignored how stripped down the game was.

GTA V dumbed down the superior gameplay we had in GTA IV. ^ Killzone is def not overrated.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:45 PM Edited by UtricularEwe001, 17 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

Underrated:

- The Saboteur (One of the best open world game set in Nazi occupied France!)

- Spec Ops: The Line

- Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Overrated:

- COD

- Battlefield 4

- FIFA

- Halo

OurJud
  • OurJud

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:53 PM Edited by OurJud, 17 February 2014 - 08:54 PM.

Overrated:
Killzone series

I simply cannot allow you to get away with this and will be round your house shortly with some very strong words that I will shout through your letterbox.
  • Geralt of Rivia and FranklinDeRoosevelt like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:07 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 17 February 2014 - 09:08 PM.

Yes even madden 25 feels the same.

Feeling the same is not being the same

Also the AI is still piss poor and still doesn't block when you run.

They're a LOT better than they used to be. Definitely not perfect though. They'll never be perfect.

Some how the AI can intercept the ball without even looking at it and when you try to do it 7/10 times you will miss it.

Are you sure they're not looking at the ball as you throw it? Sometimes I think that happens to me, then I go to Instant Replay and I'll see that the CB's head was watching my QB the whole time.

Fumbles are now even worst than before. Every game you get with a decent skill player expect 3-5 fumbles that game. 

Upgrade your player's carrying? I've never had 3 fumbles in a game. Also, try different slider sets. Custom sliders are pretty much a must.

Mobile QB are way better than pocket QBs.

Depends on who it is. RG3 is probably better pre-updated, because RG3 sucked it up this year, and his accuracy was pretty bad. Russell Wilson, on the other hand, is fast and accurate.

I always use pocket QB's. Never have a problem with the pocket collapsing. I always get the ball out quick, and if the pocket does collapse, I throw it away. I see the appeal of mobile QB's, but to say one is better than the other is just an opinion. They have strengths and weaknesses.

All pro is easy and if you do All madden they just drop the ball every 8/10 passes.

Throwing in traffic will often make the ball incomplete, like real life. It's hard to catch a ball right as soon as you get hit.

Anyway, get some good sliders. Default sliders are trash.

The game is broken.

Except it's not. Can you play the game? Can you pass the ball? Can you run the ball? Can you complete seasons?

The answer to all of those is yes. The game isn't broken.

They will never fix it cause if you want to play with real NFL players you're force to buy it. 

The only thing they've never fixed is the damn white sleeve glitch. f*ck that glitch. They've updated the engine, the physics, career mode, everything.

Christmas  :santa:

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Overrated:
Killzone series

I simply cannot allow you to get away with this and will be round your house shortly with some very strong words that I will shout through your letterbox.

Like what words? Unsmart? Incompetent? TASTELESS?!

I know some strong words too, bro.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

GTA V dumbed down the superior gameplay we had in GTA IV. ^ Killzone is def not overrated.

What superior gameplay? if you are talking about driving physics, that is subjective. I could say that GTA IV dumbed down the gameplay from previous games due to things like poor vehicle variety. So it really goes both ways for GTA IV and GTA V.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Overrated:
Killzone series

Like what words? Unsmart? Incompetent? TASTELESS?!

Oi!

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Here we go again. Every topic soon turns into GTA domestic war. :/

• UtricularEwe001 likes this

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

And if at least that war had any sensible arguments...

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Underrated:

- The Saboteur (One of the best open world game set in Nazi occupied France!)

- Spec Ops: The Line

- Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Overrated:

- COD

- Battlefield 4

- FIFA

- Halo

I wouldn't say BF4 is overrated. Yes, it did have problems. Major problems. But it was a fantastic game. I loved it. The multiplayer was excellent.

It's like Borderlands, though, if you have no one to play it with, it gets boring fast.

I also disagree about Halo. I thought Halo 4 was the best Halo yet. I really liked the campaign, and I like what they did with the multiplayer.

• David. likes this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

Underrated:
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

You can say that the game sucks without playing it just by its title : Nuts and Bolts

It wasn't anywhere near as good as the first two simply because it feels the BK stuff was shoehorned in. I think it would have done better as a new IP entirely. However it is clear to me that a ton of effort was put into it regardless. Sadly no other game has had any sort of vehicle creation system - the only thing close to offering this level of creativity is Minecraft.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

underrated:

Silent Hill Downpour: Die hard survival horror fans endlessly hate on newer Silent Hill games just because they weren't made by Japanese developers. Those people are morons. Downpour does have a few minor tech issues (the framerate is a bit slow in the very beginning) but its a solid entry to the Silent Hill series in my opinion.

overrated:

Heavy Rain: This isn't a game, its an 8 hour long movie. Playing it was about as fun as browsing the paint samples at Home Depot.

Saint's Row II: Completely inferior to GTA in almost every way. The city feels dull and lifeless, the mini games are agonizing to play, and I couldn't bring myself to give even half a crap about Johnny Gat, Pierce, Shaundi, or even The Boss.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:40 AM Edited by Yogogamer, 18 February 2014 - 12:41 AM.

Anway

Underated:

Siren: Blood curse

Sleeping Dogs

Timeshift

Ovverated:

GTAV

GTAIV 

Tomb Raider

Crysis

Hitman: Absolution

Silent Hill: Downpour

Silent Hill: Homecoming

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Original Gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

The Last of Us ( The only reason I say that is cause PC and 360 player couldn't experience it and just throw out blind hate towards it. TLOU haters say it lacks gameplay? The game is about stealth not run out like a ADHD kid and shoot everything. It isn't like COD or GTA.  )

Are you only saying this because I said it was overrated? How can a game that's won the most amount of GOTY awards and according to you the best game of the year be underrated?

Honestly I think some people throw around underrated and overrated too much without understanding what each means. Really it just seems like another way for some people of saying what they like and what they don't. I know it's your opinion, but I really doubt you believe it's underrated.

You just seem to be overly defensive when people don't praise it regardless if they're PC/360 players or not . Hell I'm probably the biggest GTA IV fan on here and even I can admit it was overrated by the critics.

As I said I thought it was a great game for one playthrough. I tried multiplayer, but it didn't really hook me. It's a nice looking game with a great story (although I was a little disappointed by the end), but I think the god like status it's been given is unjust.

• Th3MaN1, UtricularEwe001 and PoeticWhisper like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:41 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 18 February 2014 - 02:44 AM.

The Last of Us ( The only reason I say that is cause PC and 360 player couldn't experience it and just throw out blind hate towards it. TLOU haters say it lacks gameplay? The game is about stealth not run out like a ADHD kid and shoot everything. It isn't like COD or GTA.  )

Are you only saying this because I said it was overrated? How can a game that's won the most amount of GOTY awards and according to you the best game of the year be underrated?

Honestly I think some people throw around underrated and overrated too much without understanding what each means. Really it just seems like another way for some people of saying what they like and what they don't. I know it's your opinion, but I really doubt you believe it's underrated.

You just seem to be overly defensive when people don't praise it regardless if they're PC/360 players or not . Hell I'm probably the biggest GTA IV fan on here and even I can admit it was overrated by the critics.

As I said I thought it was a great game for one playthrough. I tried multiplayer, but it didn't really hook me. It's a nice looking game with a great story (although I was a little disappointed by the end), but I think the god like status it's been given is unjust.

People very commonly misuse underrated.

A game like Far Cry 3 or Skyrim cannot be underrated, as they were rated very highly. They were met with critical acclaim. The same goes for GTA V and TLoU. They cannot be underrated.

Games like Aliens: Colonial Marines and World of Tanks can be underrated, because, well, they're not all perfect scores.

UNLESS it's a game that did well review-wise, but was hated consumer-wise.

The closest thing I can think of (Which is sad, because it's not even close to true) is GTA 4, because a lot people didn't like it compared to San Andreas.

I'm sure there's others, I just can't think of it.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:00 AM Edited by Kalvin, 18 February 2014 - 03:02 AM.

Overrated:
TLoU - Don't get me wrong, I loved it. But for me I can only handle one playthrough, it's not a game I can play through twice, last time I played it was June and never went back (pretty much a copy of SoL's post, I know :p)

GTAV - I know, I know. "It's overrated? Oh my god", it is. I know it's due to possible limitations but it just lacked.. Something, so many things were gone which I wish made a return; Night Clubs, more haircuts, and so many other things.

Saints Row 3/4 - It is, so, so much. Saints Row turned to sh*t after 2. 2 was great, it had the perfect balance between realistic and silly, but when it hit 3, it threw away the slightest of realism and put in 100% stupid.

Underrated:
GTAIV - GTAIV was a great game, the gameplay was smooth (but heavy in terms of driving), the shootouts were nice, I also loved the story too, it did drive on just a little bit too long, but it wasn't enough to be off-putting. The multiplayer gamemodes were really fun aswell.

Mirror's Edge - Good god that game was great, the running, jumping, pretty much the entire gameplay was very fluid. The story was meh, but it's the gameplay what counts.

Max Payne 3 - The game was awesome, the mechanics compared to the previous titles were improved so well, also the graphics were really pretty. :inlove:

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

loved Mirror's Edge. God, this thread is making me want to go back and play games...

...But I already have a backlog of games  :cry:

Damn you Humble Bundle and Steam Sales!

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

Ah yes, Mirror Edge. Story wasn't interesting but the gameplay was fun!

BTW: Anyone else was ever scared sh*tless whenever those chasers in Mirror Edge appeared?

Those f*ckers were scary. :)

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

Its not a God game. It has problems. It just annoys me that people say it lacks gameplay. 

The Last of Us is a survival type game. You need to find supplies and stealth is your best friend. You can't say a game is crap because you can't run out. The game wasn't made for that. ( It's like saying DayZ sucks cause you can't play it like COD. The game isn't made for that )

I didn't make the post towards you but the other guy who says it has no gameplay. Even IV had gameplay. Sadly it didn't have stealth. You could choose important roles in who you want to die. 

Multiplayer is different from most we got now. You need a mic and a team to do well. Playing with randoms is a way to ruin the experience.

Just like IV, The Last of Us gets all this unwanted hate. The difference between TLOU and GTA IV is that one's a new IP and you really can't complain saying it ruining something while one is the forth main title and can say if its better than the older ones or worst. 

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

I don't take critics' review scores seriously, in fact the only reviews I've enjoyed at all come from Angry Joe and Classic Game Room, so whenever the topic of underrated or overrated games comes up my views are based off consumer reception.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:10 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 18 February 2014 - 05:37 AM.

You can't say a game is crap because you can't run out. The game wasn't made for that. ( It's like saying DayZ sucks cause you can't play it like COD. The game isn't made for that )

Except no one says the gameplay is lacking because of that, that's just something some retard/troll (Most likely the latter) says or something you're telling yourself.

The gameplay is lacking because it's nothing special. At all. There is nothing new/memorable about it. It's just bland. It's also insanely repetitive. Let me describe most of the gameplay (Going off what I remember):

1a) Sneak kill/sneak past infected (Maybe)

1b) Sneak kill/sneak past people (Maybe)

2) Get to a point

3) Have to grab something to get across somewhere

4) Go through "puzzle" to get it

5) (Sometimes ambush)

With very little differences during the whole game.

The gameplay is the worst part about TLoU. It's better just as a movie than as a game IMO.

The game also has zero replay value. There is no reason to go back to the game other than the usual "Get all trophies" or "Beat it at highest difficulty", which isn't replay value.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:26 AM Edited by redx165, 18 February 2014 - 06:27 AM.

You can't say a game is crap because you can't run out. The game wasn't made for that. ( It's like saying DayZ sucks cause you can't play it like COD. The game isn't made for that )

Except no one says the gameplay is lacking because of that, that's just something some retard/troll (Most likely the latter) says or something you're telling yourself.

The gameplay is lacking because it's nothing special. At all. There is nothing new/memorable about it. It's just bland. It's also insanely repetitive. Let me describe most of the gameplay (Going off what I remember):

1a) Sneak kill/sneak past infected (Maybe)

1b) Sneak kill/sneak past people (Maybe)

2) Get to a point

3) Have to grab something to get across somewhere

4) Go through "puzzle" to get it

5) (Sometimes ambush)

With very little differences during the whole game.

The gameplay is the worst part about TLoU. It's better just as a movie than as a game IMO.

The game also has zero replay value. There is no reason to go back to the game other than the usual "Get all trophies" or "Beat it at highest difficulty", which isn't replay value.

So having the option is worst than what GTA V does which is just kill. 

The Last of US:

3 options:

Option 1: Stealth - Traps, Bow and Arrow, and choke moves.

Option 2: All out assault - Shotgun, Medkit, Pistols, Molotovs, and hand to hand fist fighting.

Option 3: Sneak by them. This is great for survivor but other game modes is just pointless to sneak by them. You will just get more supplies killing them and searching around. ( Haven't tried Hard yet but did try Survivor )

Grand Theft Auto V: 

Option 1: Stealth - The game stealth is broken and doesn't work that well. Once you break it you can't use it anymore. 

Option 2: All out assault - You're usually force to do this one. 

So tell me again how the gameplay is bland? You can do more in The Last of Us than in Grand Theft Auto V. Usually the people who say TLOU is bland hasn't played the game ( aka a TLOU hater ). 

You're trying to say there's hardly a difference. What's the difference throughout the whole GTA game? We just kill in almost every mission. I mean the first mission is we're already killing cops. 

Also GTA V might be the most linear game we've played. At the end of each mission there's things we had to do just to get 100%. You can't play your way. 

.JokeR
  • .JokeR

Madness is the emergency exit.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

GTA is supposed to be just killing, it does have some sneaky parts, buts not at the level of Splinter Cell or TLOU because the game isn't designed around that. GTA V is designed like an action movie, all about the sequences, like the shoot out in Paleto Bay, or the getaway from the Union Depository.

And those 3 options are actually two. Sneaking past is still stealth.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:33 AM Edited by redx165, 18 February 2014 - 07:33 AM.

GTA is supposed to be just killing, it does have some sneaky parts, buts not at the level of Splinter Cell or TLOU because the game isn't designed around that. GTA V is designed like an action movie, all about the sequences, like the shoot out in Paleto Bay, or the getaway from the Union Depository.

And those 3 options are actually two. Sneaking past is still stealth.

Just like The Last of Us is a survival type game. It's design for stealth. You can't say it has bland gameplay just cause your ( Not implying its you ) playing it like GTA. 

Not really:

Killing using stealth ( You could argue that but I'm saying kill those you have to or all using stealth only )

Going all out ( GTA style lol )

Sneaking by them without doing anything. ( This is honestly the hardest to do. )

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

Lol these topics never go well.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:53 AM Edited by Daz, 18 February 2014 - 09:54 AM.

UNDERRATED:

• Any open world game with vehicles and weapons that isn't GTA
  • Mafia II
  • GTA V
  • Hitman Absoulution (I feel that this one gets a lot of hate since people think it is no longer a stealth game, I disagree since there is a lot of stealth still involved, yes they did refine the action, but the actions is still 100% optional, see below for a game that sacrificed stealth)

I have no idea how you would consider GTAV underrated, it is literally the most overrated game to this date. Do you even know what that means?

MGS4 wasn't overrated but it didn't stand up to what people expected from it. Neither did GTAIV in my eyes.

I also totally disagree with you on Hitman Absolution. Nobody said it wasn't stealth. People hated it, like I did, because it essentially took the Hitman name, masqueraded as a Hitman game until release when we realized every level was very linear and in multiple parts for no god damn reason. It butchered the science of a hitman game and reduced it to a version of splinter cell conviction, with superhuman xray vision, a ruined disguise system that made no logical sense. (You can't blend in with the same disguise type, yet if you can kill the only chef in a small home and walk around and nobody can tell that you aren't the same person.)

It was an ok game in itself, but that is not the point. The hitman games have always had something no other game has ever managed to copy. They have a corner of the market and a niché product. They threw that right away with Absolution.

And don't give me "oh you are just fanboys" because why else would people want a new hitman game if we werent fans of the series. People generally want more of the same, from things they loved, that is why they queue up like morons to watch the latest total recall, judge dredd, robocop or oldboy remake. They think they are going to get more of the same but they get robbed in the process.

It is just a money making scam, whatever way you look at it. Whoring out the name for their own gain.

Hopefully the next one is true to form as they say, but I can't trust them.

• Fu11Force likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users