Quantcast

» «
Photo

The most underrated and overrated games of the 7th generation?

128 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:55 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 17 February 2014 - 12:11 PM.

The 8th gen is still yet to kick off so I still think it is time to reflect on the 7th generation. What do you consider to be the most underrated and overrated games of the recent 7th generation. And just for some clarification, overrated does not always have to mean 'bad' and underrated does not always have to mean 'amazing'. And one last thing, try not to turn this topic into a place to go and flame others opinions.

My opinions are as follows:

UNDERRATED:

• Any open world game with vehicles and weapons that isn't GTA
  • Mafia II
  • GTA V
  • Hitman Absoulution (I feel that this one gets a lot of hate since people think it is no longer a stealth game, I disagree since there is a lot of stealth still involved, yes they did refine the action, but the actions is still 100% optional, see below for a game that sacrificed stealth)

OVERRATED:

• Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Splinter Cell Conviction
  • Every sports games (they are the same thing every year!)
  • GTA IV

Note: My underrated sections may seem small but that is only because 'any open world game with vehicles and weapons that ins't GTA' obviously refers to more than one game.

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Idioteque

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

I disagree with Hitman Absolution and MGS4. Firstly, they totally redesigned Hitman. Sure, you still have a specified target, and the bare minumums of what make a 'Hitman' game, but they streamlined it to a more.. casual audience, even going as far as adding the dreaded 'score' counter, god I hate that sh*t. Secondly! How was MGS4 overhyped? It was widely criticized for it's lack of gameplay, it was like watching a movie! Same with Heavy Rain! It was an interactive drama, and people constantly criticized both of those games! (Although, I loved them ..c'mon, CQC HYPE!)

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

MGS4 was criticised pretty heavily and rightly so. Not for the cutscenes, I don't give a f*ck about that. he story was an inconsistent mess and a let down. Frankly, the gameplay was the best it ever had been in terms of stealth. But yeah it certainly was not overrated.

I agree with Mafia II though, that game didn't get nearly the same amount of attention as the first game and rather unfairly. I was a big fan of the first game and I didn't even know the second game existed.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

GTA V underrated? Maybe some people on the internet are harsh on it, but I definitely wouldn't call it underrated. More overrated in some ways and as much as I love GTA IV the same goes for it. Infact I wouldn't call any of R*'s 7th generation titles underrated as such, but that's just me.

Anyway I think Call Of Jaurez: The Cartel is quite underrated. It got panned hard critically compared to the first two and despite some cheap mechanics I thought it was fun and a lot better than the critics said. I would give it an 8/10. Not the best FPS ever, but not the worst either.

As for overrated I would have to say TLOU. It's a great game don't get me wrong, but I found it had only enough value for one playthrough. Some people treat this game like it's a messiah.
  • Finn 7 five 11, Th3MaN1 and Ermacs like this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

MGS4 was criticised pretty heavily and rightly so. Not for the cutscenes, I don't give a f*ck about that. he story was an inconsistent mess and a let down. Frankly, the gameplay was the best it ever had been in terms of stealth. But yeah it certainly was not overrated.

MGS4 may have gotten some criticisms but it is still one of the most, if not the overrated games of the 7th gen IMO. Game critics praised that game like no other and Kevin VanOrd on Gamespot said that it had "brilliant mixture of gameplay and storytelling", I know that people have opinions but anyone who thinks that roughly 4-5 hours of cutscenes and roughly 14-16 hours of cutscenes is a brilliant mixture either has a crayon in their brain or should not be playing games. And also, say one negative thing about MGS4 on the Gamespot forums and people will question your age and call you a CoD fanboy.

GTA V underrated? Maybe some people on the internet are harsh on it, but I definitely wouldn't call it underrated. More overrated in some ways and as much as I love GTA IV the same goes for it. Infact I wouldn't call any of R*'s 7th generation titles underrated as such, but that's just me.

As for overrated I would have to say TLOU. It's a great game don't get me wrong, but I found it had only enough value for one playthrough. Some people treat this game like it's a messiah.

I find GTA V to be underrated because it gets it's hate just from being a gameplay focused game.
And you said that TLoU is overrated, brace yourself for redx165.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I agree with Mafia II though, that game didn't get nearly the same amount of attention as the first game and rather unfairly. I was a big fan of the first game and I didn't even know the second game existed.

You have to be the dumbest person i've seen here.....

Just because you didn't understand MGS4's story dosen't make it inconsistent.

• Fallcreek likes this

Fu11Force
  • Fu11Force

Corrupt

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Underrated games I can think of are Hitman Blood Money and The Saboteur. I loved those two games, they were really unique. I didn't like Absolution compared to Blood Money. The Saboteur was just a great game that needed more attention. It was open-world set in Paris during Nazi Occupation. You can climb buildings and the vehicles were good. Blowing up an Nazi thing was fun, especially if you didn't get caught. I wished they made a second one.

An overrated game is Skyrim. I still like Oblivion better. I hate the 3D map, and the guilds quests weren't as fun as Oblivion. The DLCs were sh*t compared to Oblivion.  

• CantThinkOfOne2013 likes this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:02 PM Edited by Nale Dixon, 17 February 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Hahahahahaahahaha. Listen you thick f*ck, I fully understand the f*cking story. The story of MGS4 was chock full of plot holes, inconsistencies and errors contradicting the past 3 games, a lot of the plot was wrapped up with 'nanomachines did it' which is what those in the literary world call a cheap cop out.

Also before you call people dumb, try not to type the word 'I've' without capitalising and certainly don't type the word 'doesn't' as 'dosen't'

• lazy. likes this

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hahahahahaahahaha. Listen you thick f*ck, I fully understand the f*cking story. The story of MGS4 was chock full of plot holes, inconsistencies and errors contradicting the past 3 games, a lot of the plot was wrapped up with 'nanomachines did it' which is what those in the literary world call a cheap cop out.

Also before you call people dumb, try not to type the word 'I've' without capitalising and certainly don't type the word 'doesn't' as 'dosen't'

Oh, He mad

Firstly, do explain what "plot holes" there are. Because I have replayed the game 4 times and haven't found one. I'm seriously doubting You even played it.....

Oh, and trying to reverse the topic by pointing out a small error makes you even more of a dumbass.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

I believe Max Payne 3 was underrated. Just because it changed and it isn't "the dark streets of NY" people think it sucks. Also, those video effects during the cutscenes sucked, but everything else was perfect for me. But if wiki is correct, then R* sold 4 mil. copies of this game. Thank god.

Oh, and TLOU was heavily overrated. I agree with SOL 100%. People treat it like god's work, that it's "a perfect game". Bullsh*t. No game is perfect. TLOU lacked gameplay IMO, which is what a game is all about for the most part. But this is mostly personal taste.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:34 PM Edited by Boxman108, 17 February 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Overrated:

GTAV
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
MGS Ground Zeroes (well, soon to be, anyway)
Super Paper Mario
Any COD game
Any Assassin's Creed game
Halo 4
Heavy Rain
Beyond Two Souls
Zelda: Twilight Princess (though it was more of a port)
Tomb Raider
Goldeneye
Saints Row 3 and 4
Skyrim
Final Fantasy 13

Underrated:
GTAIV
MGS4
MGS Peace Walker
Halo Reach
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Killer is Dead
NieR
Fallout: New Vegas
Lost Odyssey
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Deadly Premonition
  • jeanrjm likes this

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

I believe Max Payne 3 was underrated. Just because it changed and it isn't "the dark streets of NY" people think it sucks. Also, those video effects during the cutscenes sucked, but everything else was perfect for me. But if wiki is correct, then R* sold 4 mil. copies of this game. Thank god.

Oh, and TLOU was heavily overrated. I agree with SOL 100%. People treat it like god's work, that it's "a perfect game". Bullsh*t. No game is perfect. TLOU lacked gameplay IMO, which is what a game is all about for the most part. But this is mostly personal taste.

I agree with Max Payne 3. I don't think Rockstar should have revealed V during the time they were marketing MP3. So many V fans were giving them hell over that, that they probably boycotted the game.

They even had to close R* Vancouver.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

I agree with Max Payne 3. I don't think Rockstar should have revealed V during the time they were marketing MP3. So many V fans were giving them hell over that, that they probably boycotted the game.

They even had to close R* Vancouver.

f*cked up marketing. Proves that time is also crucial, it's not all about the money.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Note: My underrated sections may seem small but that is only because 'any open world game with vehicles and weapons that ins't GTA' obviously refers to more than one game.

I love these types of games, especially if they're done in the FP, so I'd love to hear what these others are.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:10 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 17 February 2014 - 04:29 PM.

Overrated : Grand Theft Auto San Andreas any Halo game

San Andreas - Every time I try to do something in this game, there would be another gang war I would have to go take care of if I wanted to keep the part of the map mine. It was the biggest pain in the butt I think I've ever had to deal with in a video game. I think it was the worse GTA there was. I liked all the other ones.

Any Halo game - I just never got into these FPS. I hated the fact that someone could jump 20 feet in the air on a single bound. The whole little aliens thing, Yeah sometimes they were funny, but comeon. Very unrealistic of a shooter, and to me realisim is everything now. Thats why I think I'm not going to be a big fan of TitanFall either.

Underrated: Trials HD - Trials Evolution - BF4 (Xbox One) - Dead Rising 3

Trials HD, Trials Evolution - No one I know plays these two. Very good games. Very addictive. Trials Evolution would even let you download unlimited maps for free. Yes free, as many as your consoles memory would hold. I think I quit around 150 maps. I never was good at making my own maps, but other guys in the world are. People would make the coolest maps with just a console. No PC needed. Very well worth the $20-$30 dollar price range. I think the game itself is around $10-$15, but the DLC would put you around the $20-$30 dollar mark. They are my favorite platformer games out.

BF4 I have not had any issues with like everyone online says they have. It is by far the best FPS I have ever played and yes I have played since Doom on Windows 3.1.

Dead Rising 3 is an awesome game. They have so many weapons and items you can use. Vehicles are cool too. Very humor filled as well. The smartglass app works really good and gives you more for your game like more side missions and things. Things, I mean like I can set up a point of interest or a GPS marker on the map, get on my phone and send a missile strike wherever the GPS is set up. It is cool as hell. Haven't even made it to the DLC yet and I think there is two already out. Plus they have zombies. Any game with zombies is a plus.  

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

UNDERRATED:

• GTA IV
  • Bioshock 2
  • Day of Defeat:Source
  • Crysis 2

OVERRATED:

• Halo series
  • Saints Row series
  • Assassins Creed 4
  • The Last of Us(still an excellent game, just not 10/10)
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • All COD games past MW2
  • GTA V
  • lazy. likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

GTA V is definitely not underrated. Most of the reviews from other forums are mostly positive, it's only GTAF that gives it a lot of hate for some reason.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Overrated : Grand Theft Auto San Andreas any Halo game

San Andreas - Every time I try to do something in this game, there would be another gang war I would have to go take care of if I wanted to keep the part of the map mine. It was the biggest pain in the butt I think I've ever had to deal with in a video game. I think it was the worse GTA there was. I liked all the other ones.

Any Halo game - I just never got into these FPS. I hated the fact that someone could jump 20 feet in the air on a single bound. The whole little aliens thing, Yeah sometimes they were funny, but comeon. Very unrealistic of a shooter, and to me realisim is everything now. Thats why I think I'm not going to be a big fan of TitanFall either.

Underrated: Trials HD - Trials Evolution - BF4 (Xbox One) - Dead Rising 3

Trials HD, Trials Evolution - No one I know plays these two. Very good games. Very addictive. Trials Evolution would even let you download unlimited maps for free. Yes free, as many as your consoles memory would hold. I think I quit around 150 maps. I never was good at making my own maps, but other guys in the world are. People would make the coolest maps with just a console. No PC needed. Very well worth the $20-$30 dollar price range. I think the game itself is around $10-$15, but the DLC would put you around the $20-$30 dollar mark. They are my favorite platformer games out.

BF4 I have not had any issues with like everyone online says they have. It is by far the best FPS I have ever played and yes I have played since Doom on Windows 3.1.

Dead Rising 3 is an awesome game. They have so many weapons and items you can use. Vehicles are cool too. Very humor filled as well. The smartglass app works really good and gives you more for your game like more side missions and things. Things, I mean like I can set up a point of interest or a GPS marker on the map, get on my phone and send a missile strike wherever the GPS is set up. It is cool as hell. Haven't even made it to the DLC yet and I think there is two already out. Plus they have zombies. Any game with zombies is a plus.  

Despite me being quite butthurt over the issues with BF4 (  I just think that DICE could have done a WAY better job with the bug solving ), IMO it still retains that unique aspect that not many other shooters have. The only game that game me the same feeling was Homefront, but that was more like COD + BF. IMO BF4 is still awesome.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:05 PM Edited by Hodgey., 17 February 2014 - 06:06 PM.

GTA V is definitely not underrated. Most of the reviews from other forums are mostly positive, it's only GTAF that gives it a lot of hate for some reason.

Because the majority of people who post in the GTAV or GTAO section are either trolling or upset because they didn't get a jet pack again.

Underrated:

GTA IV

CoD Black Ops

Heavy Rain

Overrated:

Fallout New Vegas

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Secretly a GTA IV fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Yes, Crysis 2 is definitely underrated. I had so much fun with that game when I got it through Humble Bundle.

I actually wanna go play it again...

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:17 PM Edited by Tycek, 17 February 2014 - 06:17 PM.

I think we've got topic like this before. 

Overrated:

Fallout 3

Mafia II

Bioshock Infinite

Saints Row 3 and IV

Sleeping Dogs

I can't say if there were any underrated games, as the whole rates are usually either paid of made while hype is still working. 

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Underrated games are those awesome games we don't know about, hence they're underrated.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:37 PM Edited by redx165, 17 February 2014 - 06:38 PM.

GTA V is clearly overrated. Said to be the game to end all games. Which wasn't true. Didn't win most GOTY awards. Also focus more on online than Single Player. 

Overrated: 
GTA V ( 97/100 rating? Really and they say it isn't overrated? )
GTA IV ( 98/100 rating? This is even worst than V )
COD ( All of them after Black Ops 1 )
BF4 ( Release a half finish game )

Every Madden game ( Same sh*t since the PS2 era )

Minecraft ( With the most recent updates the game is starting to become stale )

Halo ( Was good at first but after Reach it went downhill )

Underrated: 
Red Dead Redemption ( Its way better than any HD era GTA game that's on the shelf's today. )

The Last of Us ( The only reason I say that is cause PC and 360 player couldn't experience it and just throw out blind hate towards it. TLOU haters say it lacks gameplay? The game is about stealth not run out like a ADHD kid and shoot everything. It isn't like COD or GTA.  )

Far Cry 3 ( was good but the 20 FPS on console killed it sadly. )

Dead Rising 1 ( Way better put together game than the other 2. Lots of people hated on it cause it is only on 360 and wii. )

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:37 PM Edited by StingrayX, 17 February 2014 - 06:39 PM.

V is underrated and IV is overrated? You are such a tool that it isn't even funny.

I don't have a list. I feel Forza Horizon is underrated as it was hated on by a lot of Forza Motorsport fans; probably because they thought this was Forza's new direction and only direction, and because they thought it would be super arcade. I feel Horizon is a good game if you accept it for what it is, an open worlded driving game that isn't fully arcade nor semi-realistic.
  • Mr_Leone likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

GTA V is clearly overrated. Said to be the game to end all games. Which wasn't true. Didn't win most GOTY awards. Also focus more on online than Single Player. 

Overrated: 
GTA V ( 97/100 rating? Really and they say it isn't overrated? )
GTA IV ( 98/100 rating? This is even worst than V )
COD ( All of them after Black Ops 1 )
BF4 ( Release a half finish game )

Every Madden game ( Same sh*t since the PS2 era )

Minecraft ( With the most recent updates the game is starting to become stale )

Halo ( Was good at first but after Reach it went downhill )

Underrated: 
Red Dead Redemption ( Its way better than any HD era GTA game that's on the shelf's today. )

The Last of Us ( The only reason I say that is cause PC and 360 player couldn't experience it and just throw out blind hate towards it. TLOU haters say it lacks gameplay? The game is about stealth not run out like a ADHD kid and shoot everything. It isn't like COD or GTA.  )

Far Cry 3 ( was good but the 20 FPS on console killed it sadly. )

Dead Rising 1 ( Way better put together game than the other 2. Lots of people hated on it cause it is only on 360 and wii. )

GOTY. GOTY. Hurr Durr GTA V less GOTY than TLoU so GTA V suck. Hurr Durr GOTY important sh*t.
Seriously dude, grow some god damn brains.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Secretly a GTA IV fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Ah, the classic redx we all know and love: "My opinion is fact!"

And hey, whaddaya know? StingrayX is starting to do it, too!

I see a friendship brewing!

Anyway, I would call TLoU overrated. Fantastic story, but the gameplay was lacking, and I don't find it 'revolutionary' like everyone else seems to do.

I'd say Planetside 2 in underrated. It's so fun, and the scale of the battles and landscape is really second-to-none for the game it's trying to be.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:10 PM Edited by StingrayX, 17 February 2014 - 07:12 PM.

@MasterFocker, oh it is you again. I was just saying. V isn't underrated. It isn't that overrated either. And just so you know, I think redx is annoying and is overly dramatic.

Get over yourself MasterFocker. I do not see how I was trying to state a fact.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

@MasterFocker, oh it is you again. I was just saying. V isn't underrated. It isn't that overrated either. And just so you know, I think redx is annoying and is overly dramatic.

Get over yourself MasterFocker. I do not see how I was trying to state a fact.

Don't bother, He's too in love with himself

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Secretly a GTA IV fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:21 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 17 February 2014 - 07:25 PM.

V is underrated and IV is overrated? You are such a tool that it isn't even funny.

His opinion. You insult him for it.

You're saying his opinion is wrong. It cannot be wrong. It's his opinion. 

My bad, you weren't trying to state a fact. I read your post wrong  :/

Yogogames: Oh yeah, you know it :rol:

• Gta_V_Fan_101 likes this

Shmoopy
  • Shmoopy

Thug (͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Underrated:
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

You can say that the game sucks without playing it just by its title : Nuts and Bolts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users