Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is there anyone who thinks the city is too small?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic
wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

I Personally like the size, Although LA in real life is bigger, I heard a guy saying in a video in YT or in a thread saying that the city of LS is too small and it should have been extended atleast up to Los Santos County. Does anyone agree with this statement or just think LS is actually much smaller and lacks some things Liberty City did not?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

I think the map is big enough but when you look at the desert and the forest I think the map should of been made bigger to accomodate them more and make the feeling of tranistioning from the desert to the forest a bit more realistic.

• 018361 and Osho like this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

The map is good at this size.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I think its quite big.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

I always thought the ghetto/slums would be bigger, like in reality

• darkwar854, theGTAking101 and Smash_It_Up_007 like this

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

I was hoping the actual city area would be bigger instead of being more countryside than city, I also agree with Universe that the ghetto should have been a lot bigger.

• theGTAking101 likes this

V 9 L U K 3 4 V
  • V 9 L U K 3 4 V

v 9 L u k E 4 V

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

its a good size city i guess it could have been a tad bigger maybe make the ghetto bigger and more separate from down town instead of being down the road also the buildings themselves i don't know why but the skyscrapers don't seem that tall i know i know they are tall but when im on the top i looking down and think oh is that it like on gta 4 i was like wow im up high.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Oh for some guys who misunderstood, I only ment the City, not the entire map itself. The city is Los Santos, the south area of San Andreas. 

• progamer1258 likes this

hellyeah3:16
  • hellyeah3:16

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

That is really my only gripe about the game's map, they did an amazing job with the Blaine County, Sandy Shores area of the map but the city part of the game could've been way better. I'm not saying it should've been as big as LA but it could've been way bigger that it was. There's no way in hell that city is bigger than Liberty City.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

The city is plenty big enough and serves it's purpose well.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Oh for some guys who misunderstood, I only ment the City, not the entire map itself. The city is Los Santos, the south area of San Andreas. 

Oh well, the city itself is plenty big enough.

Terrato137
  • Terrato137

That guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

The map is a good size, however I personally think the city should've been slightly spread out more.

Zolag
  • Zolag

Epsilonist

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I expected the city to be bigger, there's too much desert.

Meekail
  • Meekail

vintage

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

I expected the city to be bigger, there's too much desert.

If anything, there's less desert.

I think the map is pretty good for me at least.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:32 PM Edited by Official General, 15 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

The city map is a good size, but it could have been designed and laid out in a much better way. Firstly, the roads were too wide. Narrower roads could have meant more buildings and more space for other structures. Secondly, there was not enough balance in residential areas - there were not enough general working-class districts or middle-class suburbs, it was mostly just ghettos and very wealthy neighborhoods. The city could have been spread out across the map a bit more too. 

Having said all that, I do think Rockstar could and should have made Los Santos much bigger than it is, especially seeing how there is so much countryside and desert. 

• CCarvalho224, theGTAking101 and QuietJosh like this

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think Los Santos is perfectly fine the way it is. If the entire map was full of city area then you'd still get people coming on here making stupid threads "LS city should be bigger!!"

I spend most of my time playing in the city and then I remember that there's all this countryside/desert/mountain areas as well. You can get lost in it. You won't find another video game city like it.

I think that if there was any more city area then it should have gone towards making a separate city from LS. I wish Rockstar would have removed Mt. Gordo and added a smaller city there. Just imagine it...driving/flying from LS up to the other side of the map to this other city. From the city you'd still have mountains surrounding it (the city would be in the shadow of Mt. Chilliad). Grapeseed would be the countryside area and Paletto bay would be a short drive away. The city would also have a beach that it shares with paletto bay that is going along the north coast.

AndyC-M
  • AndyC-M

lost in Los Santos

• Members
  • England

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

i would of liked the city bigger with more motorways, and generally the island to be bigger, with already mentioned, the transition into dessert more realistic

xenorama
  • xenorama

Go Commando!

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

The city map is a good size, but it could have been designed and laid out in a much better way. Firstly, the roads were too wide. Narrower roads could have meant more buildings and more space for other structures. 

Yes it is really weird that the roads in some places are so insanely wide, I have noticed a bit of uneven sizing throughout the game. Safe houses seem smaller than they should be, except Franklin's pad in Vinewood Hills, and the cars are VERY small compared to the characters. If you look closely, the characters' knees are usually clipping into the underside of the dashboard, and standing next to cars makes it obvious they are too small. It would be just about impossible to actually drive one of these cars without putting the seat way back.

If the roads had more lanes to use the space, and the characters were smaller (meaning everything else was scaled up), then it would look a bit more realistic. Or just make the cars bigger to use the extra space on the roads, and let the safehouses be the sizes they are.

It seems Rockstar had trouble balancing the sizes of things like houses and garages against the sizes of cars and roads and the characters. They were most likely all designed by different teams within the company. A project this big is bound to have issues like this.

• Official General likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:52 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 15 February 2014 - 06:55 PM.

Liberty City (GTA 4)
Players:Boring,Small,No Countryside

Southern San Andreas (GTA 5)
Players:Too Big,No enough City blahblahblah.

Oh Lord what wrong with Gamers tbh,Why do they love complaining.i am sure this would be a future trend for future GTAs.

OP:IMO Los Santos Size is okay.
  • Invader_swift likes this

Invader_swift
  • Invader_swift

BLACK LIVES MATTER

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:56 PM Edited by SuburbansWorst, 15 February 2014 - 06:57 PM.

The city map is a good size, but it could have been designed and laid out in a much better way. Firstly, the roads were too wide. Narrower roads could have meant more buildings and more space for other structures. Secondly, there was not enough balance in residential areas - there were not enough general working-class districts or middle-class suburbs, it was mostly just ghettos and very wealthy neighborhoods. The city could have been spread out across the map a bit more too. 

Having said all that, I do think Rockstar could and should have made Los Santos much bigger than it is, especially seeing how there is so much countryside and desert.

roads are like that in LA tho. We are really famous for our wide Freeways and Streets! Also the only thing needed was make that eastern part of the map extended into ocean a bit for some middle class OC. :D
  • SmoothGetaway and CCarvalho224 like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

roads are like that in LA tho. We are really famous for our wide Freeways and Streets! Also the only thing needed was make that eastern part of the map extended into ocean a bit for some middle class OC. :D

Nah disagree. I still think Los Santos's roads should have been scaled down a bit in size. I don't mind them a bit wide, because it's typical of LA roads, but they were just too wide for a GTA game. The freeways and highways were fine as they were, I'm more talking about the regular LS city streets and roads. 

Another thing that kinda annoyed me was the way East LS was created, it was nearly all industrial areas, with hardly any residential areas. East LA is home to a massive Hispanic ghetto and neighborhood, hardly any of this was reflected in East LS, which was quite disappointing. Even East LS in San Andreas had a Hispanic ghetto. 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

@Official General
Good to see you back bro.but yeah the Roads are too wide,it actually makes it more immersive IMO.and what do you mean by "East LS in San Andreas? is it the game (SA) or the 3D Era San Andreas ?

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

@Official General
Good to see you back bro.but yeah the Roads are too wide,it actually makes it more immersive IMO.and what do you mean by "East LS in San Andreas? is it the game (SA) or the 3D Era San Andreas ?

I'm talking about the game SA from the III-era. In it's own version of East Los Santos, it had a big Hispanic neighborhood with many Chicano gang members, the Vagos. 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:36 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 15 February 2014 - 07:37 PM.

@Official General

I'm talking about the game SA from the III-era. In it's own version of East Los Santos, it had a big Hispanic neighborhood with many Chicano gang members, the Vagos. 

No arguement,but with GTA 5's HD Graphics ,i think East LS looks Great (i guess).

RatchetAZ
  • RatchetAZ

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Los Santos itself is fine if it was made too big there wouldn't be much of a desert or countryside. But there should of been some gap between where the outskirts of LS is and the start of the desert is, as in a few miles of nothing but highway with one or two service stations along the way until you reach the desert, and the same with the journey to the countryside a highway. But maybe less desert and more countryside with more a forest look.

pilscy
  • pilscy

Don Vito

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

It is too small. Theres a shot load of dessert and underwater sh*t that I particularly dont care about. I wanted a full good size hood(s).. we got some jam up sh*t. I wanted a bigger downtown. . Got some small scale crap. Then there's part of the map thats just forest and trees... potentially wasteful land

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

The map is big. But the map doesn't have much going on. Blaine County is pretty much empty. The deserts are huge but you can't really do anything out there. It's pretty much plain. Los Santos is active, but the other part isn't.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I'd say the city sizes they have in HD era are just about perfect. If cities were bigger they would just be a drag to drive around.

And just to comment on your comparison with real life, of course it's smaller. About a 100 times smaller than real life LA (I think it's about 400-500 square miles in real life, while in game it would probably be some 5-6 square miles of pure city surface)

Kevert
  • Kevert

Ain't criminality exhilarating?

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

It was too small but my real beef with the map is the countless number of hills with nothing on them except poor textures and small rocks. Taking away a few of them would have left room for a bigger or second city, more dense forest area and perhaps a more interesting desert as piling too much content into the present one would have seemed odd given its size.

• pilscy likes this

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

I rarely if ever do anything in the desert, I usually just play in the city, so for me I would have liked for the majority of the map to be the city, if not all of it. Instead of a good majority of it being desert. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users