Photo

Idiots in Races

46 replies to this topic
Hellaflush070
  • Hellaflush070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Definetly dont introduce Ghost Mode that would make GTA Racing turn for the worst. Catch up should be removed though too many dudes run races without knowing the actual purpose of catch up

DillBagnr
  • DillBagnr

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Definetly dont introduce Ghost Mode that would make GTA Racing turn for the worst. Catch up should be removed though too many dudes run races without knowing the actual purpose of catch up

The purpose of catch up is to make the people who can't win races win races.

Are you implying there is some secret purpose for it?

SJH1991
  • SJH1991

Scotland's finest

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

I don't care about pitting players but catchup is the dumbest thing ever

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Read what I just said in my post.  Ghosting feature ONLY APPLIES TO POINT TO POINT RACES AND NOT GTA STYLED ONES.

It would be pointless to add a ghosting feature to any GTA styled race as subterfuge and player sabotage IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF RACES LIKE THESE FFS.

R* needs to add a "clean player" racing option in the menu. If set to ON, this feature would

1. Ghost all vehicles IN POINT TO POINT ONLY

2. DISABLE catch up feature.

3. DISABLE the slip stream feature

So that:

Clean racers can now race the way they like point to point with other clean racers. You can now win or loose based purely on your driving skill and/or whatever tactical advantages you get from using LSC mods (but this assumes the host enables modded vehicles options. If they don't, then you have to win on pure driving skill).

Dirty racers---and especially lower skilled racers---can continue racing the way they currently do in point to point and win as they currently have been to date.

This of course would not affect any of the GTA styled races by default of the expected player sabotage that is expected in GTA styled races

Simple concept really.  Get it now?

StuartStuff
  • StuartStuff

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm about to sound very dumb.

Pit manoever?

gevans81
  • gevans81

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

I asked the same, nobody f*cking cares.

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

Sure there will be pit racers and there will be dirty racers, but I find that most of the times it's the set-up that's the real problem.

Catch Up.

If you want to find a way to bunch a group together... this is it!  If you want something just South of a Death Match then turn off Customs too.  It'll be a battle of attrition no matter how clean the room is.

Traffic.  

So you have a problem with people crashing so you add in that everyone has to swerve to miss crashing!  This is where I see the most complaints.  That guy wasn't trying to hit you, he was trying to dodge that truck!  Now imagine if Catch-Up has you glued together and add in a truck and swerving off road to back on road and recipe for disaster comes to mind.  

Wrong Class

Super isn't the only Class.  Sports aren't either, but at least they're a more competitive option and I'm seeing more and more real racers use it and it's getting very competitive.  I think you'll start to see migration to Coupes which are perfect for separating the pack.  A flash started Coupe will guarantee your best guys get the lead.  Not to mention every new player likes to graduate college before even going through grade school by starting in Super class and then complaining nobody races correctly.  Which brings us too.

Do you have the ability?

Last but not least, if you're getting crashed on every race you have to ask yourself, is there something you're doing wrong?  Maybe you haven't developed enough to run with some competitive racers.  Honestly, I know television may look like racing is clean, but watch a NASCAR race.  Those are professionals on national television putting each other in the wall.  Why do you think a bunch of random people in a lobby are going to race "clean"?  To quote a famous movie, "winning is winning".  Bring the heat or get burnt.  Practice races solo until you know the lines and get used to the tracks.  Remember that you won't be racing your opponent, you'll be racing the track.  

How does R* Fix it?

Lastly, what can R* do?  It's easy.  Each track has a leader board of who is the fastest in each class.  Unless you've been living under a rock or you're 5th level chances are you already have a time recorded for the track you're on.  In qualifying the fastest always get to sit at the front.  So the game should order the races in respect to their lap times.  If that somehow gets a tie then your race "win" chance should be next.  Heck, even just comparing race wins would be an option although I'm afraid that newer players with really lean records would be hung out to dry.  

I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful reply, vipprimo... well writ.

If I can add to your list, it would be a bit about User Created Races.

Most are designed by players who rush and don't take the time to properly consider all variables and scenarios which more serious racing enthusiasts enjoy.

Combine Catchup On, Traffic On, Custom Supers, Night time, Raining, impatient or dirty drivers, and a poorly designed User Created Race and you've got the chemistry for nuclear frustration, across the board! 

Again, liked you reply! Cheers! ;)

• PkUnzipper likes this

stickifingaz
  • stickifingaz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

What's pitting?

nsis; but if u are just behind another car and you go to one side  and advance on the car then make an abrupt turn into the rear fender of that car it will send it into a spin, pit is police terminology i believe. I belong to a clean race crew that only races clean will not advance if an inadvertant pit takes place, if u are serious about racing clean join one, i recommend it!!! 

AnotherUserName
  • AnotherUserName

Dick

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

I don't mind the pit maneuvre because from my perspective (as an elite GTA racer :lol:), it can be avoided easily.

Though, there's one thing that keeps happening to me recently is people ramming the back of my car before tight corners, thus making me miss the corner entirely...That's the ultimate cheap shot if you ask me!

That can't really be helped though, considering that about 95% of players apparently don't know that racing involves more than just holding R2/RT the whole time.

What's pitting?

I'm about to sound very dumb.

Pit manoever?

PIT maneuver

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

What's pitting?

StuartStuff
  • StuartStuff

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Ah I see. I'm pretty crap at the game, it's happened to me countless times but I have no problem with it. At the end of the day it's a game, if you're the victim of that in a race, is it really the end of the world? Get over it. Ghosting would suck huge balls.

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

What's pitting?

Nothing like some good ol' country tunes whilst in a police chase

• Vooodu likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:48 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 15 February 2014 - 09:49 PM.

I don't care about pitting players but catchup is the dumbest thing ever

I couldn't agree more on this.  Perfect example where this crosses the borderline into sheer lunacy is Over the Hill. This racing motorbike mission is a sanchez only bike deal that goes over the top of Mt. Chillad.  If you suck at doing bunny hops or can't navigate sharp corners along this course, then you'll end up at the back of the pack/dead last by default of the game's physics engine.  Because any mistake you make in a turn along that track---especially on your way down the mountain---will result in death flying down a very steep cliff side.

I made the mistake of NOT hosting this race with 2 other players. The host (#2 position player) had turned slip stream & catchup on. I was put in position #2 at the start and decided to hold down the brakes (i.e. NOT move my bike for the first 2-3 seconds of the race).  Quite predictably, the n00b racer in position #3 immediately tried to ram/pit my bike right out the starting gate.  He failed epically, bounced off my stationary bike, and miraculously recovered from his near wipe out.  Then he proceed trying to sabotage the other player who was then in first place. 

I trailed these 2 no talent @$$ clowns watching them wasting energy trying to take each other out of the race.  The biggest joke was they hadn't even reached the base of Mt. Chillad yet.  THAT'S when the fun and games really began.  Both of them spun out of control at the base of the mountain. Rolled by the fools into first place and began navigating up the mountain.  That's when I discovered neither of them knew how to bunny hop their bikes over those large boulder speed bumps on this particular race course :lol:

They kept falling further behind since they got stuck trying to navigate a particularly large boulder.  They were still stuck in the climbing phase of the race after I was well into my descent near the bottom of the mountain. :lol:  That's when #3 finally quit in disgust.  And then #2 lucked out big time---all thanks to the f*cked up catch up feature.  I mistimed a particular turn and wiped out just before that final dirt ramp near the bottom.  Right after respawning, I suddenly found #2 had been teleported by the game into my slipstream  and was now flying down the mountain into my ass???  Then BLAM--the little bastard sideswiped my bike off the trail.  By the time I'd recovered, he'd cleared the foot of the mountain and was racing to the finish line on the freeway below.   :facedesk:  

Result: a player with inferior racing skills unfairly won an extremely challenging race course that required a large degree of racing skill.  This would have been fine if it were a GTA styled race.  But as a Point to Point race, this would NEVER have been possible if it weren't for the stupid catch up feature, or that even more useless slip stream feature.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

GTA0: Unreal on Wheels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

I assume that in the million user-created races, there must be some named "Ram, Ram, Ram" and "PITT, PITT, PITT" :colgate: since that would describe every GTA0 race ever. 

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

What's pitting?

Nothing like some good ol' country tunes whilst in a police chase

I can't help but root for the guy in the car... And funny enough, thats pretty much what a pub race turns into..lol

Rezard
  • Rezard

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:24 PM Edited by Rezard, 15 February 2014 - 10:26 PM.

I only use the pit as a last resort most times, and usually just on people who've displayed aggressive behavior in the race.  One thing is for sure:  Some tracks leave few other variables to work with, like "The Commute" or "Jumps Jumps Jumps".  When I was doing 1-lap races on "Criminal Records" for quick unlocks, it was pretty much a given that you had to wipe somebody out to win.  Unless you were the one racer who broke free from the disaster zone.

In general, more people should have more confidence in their skill.  There is nothing more satisfying then showing a guy you can overtake him clean.

kingcool52
  • kingcool52

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

You know whats the worse thing about slip steam. In some races the last straight, worst bit because anyone behind you can just slipstream and win :@. Other than that I find it quite useful but annoying xD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users