Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are you embarrassed to drive a damage car?

11 replies to this topic
Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

My car was in an accident last month and I just got the parts to fix it. I have been really embarrassed to drive a damaged and dented car I don't know why but it's just a pet peeve. If you drive are you embarrassed to drive a damaged or beat up car?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:45 PM Edited by epoxi, 15 February 2014 - 01:45 PM.

I personally wouldn't like to leave my car damaged unless I really couldn't financially justify repairing it (in which case I'd probably scrap it and get another car).

I wouldn't judge anyone for driving a beaten up car or be ashamed to ride in one, but if I see a car with lots of parking scratches I do tend to avoid parking next to them for obvious reasons.

I also avoid parking next to cars I know have children in them, because they have a tendency to swing the car door open without thinking and denting the car next to them. The other day I parked up at the gym and as I got out I saw a bumper sticker "I am proud to be a parent of a child in *some sports team*", I promptly got in the car and moved it to another place.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Yes. My Z had a light scratch on the passenger side headlight and I would park it so it was facing away from anything. Made my skin crawl.

SPKxLonewolf117
  • SPKxLonewolf117

That one guy who you hate.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

When i bought my truck it had the front left indicator light smased. Also about 2 years ago I left it neutral in the drive way thinking it wouldn't roll back since my driveway is flat but it rolled back into the fence across my road.

It broke my right tail light which I just bought and dented the right side of the cabin but not too badly. I'm doing an LS swap and rebuild so right now it don't bother me.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to get whatever is broken fixed right away. The advantage of frequent business travel means I schedule all my vehicle maintenance for when I'm away. For example, when I first got my 997, my Dad snapped a small piece off the passenger side cupholder. I probably drove my car for another day or two before I had to go abroad and the cupholder was fixed by the time I got back a week later.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

My car has all sorts of problems with the body that I never bothered to do anything about. A few spots of rust which I've killed with rust converter and primed over, but never bothered to get to match with the car color. A few minor dents. (Biggest one is due to a piece of cardboard I took in the hood at 80 outside of Boston. Never would have thought you can get that much damage from cardboard.) Things like that.

What I never allow to linger are any mechanical problems. Especially, anything to do with steering, suspension, or brakes. How the car handles and runs is important. Looks are secondary. A few battle scars only add to the character, I think.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:11 AM Edited by Carlover325, 17 February 2014 - 03:24 AM.

My Jeep was never perfect.  One of the rear bumper corners is slightly damaged from backing into a retaining wall.  The hood a few sun spots.  The right front fender flare has fading paint.  There is a small ding in the hood from a pine cone.  There is also a small ding in the rear hatch.  I'm not planning on fixing any of this, though.  It's a 16 year old vehicle that looks damn good for being that old.  I see plenty of vehicles 10 years newer that look a lot worse.  I plan on getting a brand new truck in about 2 years, so I won't be putting money into cosmetics.

My old truck was a real piece of work.  It was a 1994 Chevy S10 regular cab short bed.  It was my dad's and he left it to me when he died.  It had bad paint, mismatched hood and right front fender.  Dented header panel and hood.  A huge dent in the bed.  The interior was terrible, too.  It was mainly used to bring garbage to the dump.  I like it the way it was, like K2 said, it had character.  Ran pretty well until it was stolen. Whoever stole it destroyed the transmission and abandoned it in a ditch.  Told my stepmom to scrap it since I am now across country and it wasn't worth fixing.

BaM BooZeLLed
  • BaM BooZeLLed

Scooby Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:15 AM Edited by BaM BooZeLLed, 20 February 2014 - 05:16 AM.

I love my car, and I don't think I could ever feel embarrassed to drive it. My car was involved in a hit and run, which left a nasty dent in my front fender that I wasnt prepared for so the damage will be there for awhile so I embraced it and bought it something to make it and me feel better. 

42ED090B-062E-4A04-93D9-ACFE166DE861_zps

A lot of people actually really like it, and its a topic starter. 

• Ex Hellraiser and Muscleracer like this

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

I love my car, and I don't think I could ever feel embarrassed to drive it. My car was involved in a hit and run, which left a nasty dent in my front fender that I wasnt prepared for so the damage will be there for awhile so I embraced it and bought it something to make it and me feel better. 

[snip]

A lot of people actually really like it, and its a topic starter. 

Damn, I need to get that for my parents' Chevy Equinox. My father was broadsided by a huge f*cking deer, which crushed the entire left front fender in, and pinned it behind the driver door, so it won't open all the way. Insurance wouldn't cover it, since we didn't have comprehensive on our coverage. Had to drive for the last 4 years like that. But I would need more than one bandage for it, though.

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

When I used to have my car, I was involved in a small accident that wasn't my fault. The damage had to stay as I could barely afford the car let alone a replacement front panel. 

I wasn't seriously bothered by it but I felt ashamed a bit, seeing it daily. 

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

That dent plaster is genius!

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:31 AM Edited by iiGh0STt, 02 March 2014 - 10:33 AM.

When I was in germany (US Army) I had an Opel from the early 90's. It looked like a boxy toyota from the states, and was probably the most awesome car anyone has ever seen on the autobahn. I drove one time, from Bamberg to Weisbaden (over 200k) in that car and on those hills, I was at such a high rate of git down not even the vw station wagons could keep up. I mean flyin. So I make it there and stay the weekend with my girl, drive back and AS SOON AS I GET IN THE GATE the f*cking brake cable snaps. I would have been totally f*cked if it had snapped while I was off post. Also,One day it was so cold outside the doors were frozen (i only had 3 door handles) and no lie both the passenger and drivers side door handles broke off in my hand. But the little metal rod was still good on the driver side, and I was able to find 1 door handle from a scrap yard. epic junker car. I loved it, and the engine never gave me problems.

seriously, point a to b is really all that matters. If you gotta junker, clean it up as best you can. I bought that car above for $300, put a $800 system in it, new tires and brakes along with some other things mentioned above, plus tint on the windows, and good to go.. sold it for $1500 and I took amps, subs, and the head unit I put in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users