136 replies to this topic
Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...e-sex-services/

(CNN) -- Denying services to same-sex couples may soon become legal in Kansas.
House Bill 2453 explicitly protects religious individuals, groups and businesses that refuse services to same-sex couples, particularly those looking to tie the knot.
It passed the state's Republican-dominated House on Wednesday with a vote of 72-49, and has gone to the Senate for a vote.
Such a law may seem unnecessary in a state where same-sex marriage is banned, but some Kansas lawmakers think different.
They want to prevent religious individuals and organizations from getting sued, or otherwise punished, for not providing goods or services to gay couples -- or for not recognizing their marriages or committed relationship as valid.
This includes employees of the state.
The politics
The law claims to protect the rights of religious people, but gender rights advocates such as Equality Kansas are dismayed.
"Kansans across the state are rightly appalled that legislators are spending their efforts to pass yet another piece of legislation that seeks to enshrine discrimination against gay and lesbian people into law," state chairwoman Sandra Meade said.
"HB 2453 is a blatant attempt to maintain second-class citizen status for taxpaying gay and lesbian Kansans."
Despite the blowback, its chances of passing seem pretty good.
Republicans dominate the state's Senate and Gov. Sam Brownback is a conservative Christian known for taking a public stand against same-sex marriage.
Brownback has already praised the bill in an interview with a local newspaper.
"Americans have constitutional rights, among them the right to exercise their religious beliefs and the right for every human life to be treated with respect and dignity," he told The Topeka Capital-Journal.
The details
HB 2453 is titled "An act concerning religious freedoms with respect to marriage" and covers many bases.
It reads, in part: "No individual or religious entity shall be required by any governmental entity to do any of the following, if it would be contrary to the sincerely held religious beliefs of the individual or religious entity regarding sex or gender:
"Provide any services, accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods, or privileges; provide counseling, adoption, foster care and other social services; or provide employment or employment benefits, related to, or related to the celebration of, any marriage, domestic partnership, civil union or similar arrangement."
Anyone who turns away a gay couple not only can't face a civil suit, but if anyone tries to sue, they could get nailed with the other side's legal fees.
There are some small concession in the bill to gay couples.
If an employee at a nonreligious or government business refuses to serve a gay or lesbian couple for religious reasons, the manager is obligated to find another employee who will oblige.
It also explicitly says that the law does not authorize discrimination against anyone, including clergy, who performs or supports same-sex unions.
The trend
The Kansas bill would seem to buck the trend.
Laws approving same-sex marriage have recently passed in many parts of the United States, bringing the total number of states where it is legal to 17. Add to that the District of Columbia.
Worldwide, 16 other countries (and parts of Mexico) also have laws allowing same-sex marriage and domestic partnerships. Most of the nations are in Europe and South America.

It seems that Republicans still haven't got the message that the country is rapidly moving from their perceived 50's protestant paradise, and that most Americans really don't give a sh*t if someone is gay or not. This is what happens when you let the fanatics rule your party and not the moderates. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

Another step back in political evolution.

Luna Fortuna
  • Luna Fortuna

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:27 PM Edited by Luna Fortuna, 14 February 2014 - 08:27 PM.

I see no problem with churches being allow to refuse to marry a same-sex couples. But doesn't the 1964 civil rights act make discrimination against homosexuals illegal or are they protected by the act?

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

The Supreme Court has been pretty clear on this issue. You can fire a priest based on his religious beliefs, but you can't fire the church janitor for his. There is no problem with refusing a gay marriage, but you can't deny anyone service at any establishment based on their sexual orientation. This law will be struck down in any courtroom. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:39 PM Edited by The Yokel, 14 February 2014 - 08:39 PM.

If this goes to the Supreme Court it will be struck down before you can say Jim Crow.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

There is no such thing as a moderate republican.

• redfirebird87 likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Oh, thank the lord and savior Jesus Christ. Finally someone who's sticking up for my right to deny other people the same rights that I enjoy!

• Moth, Melchior, 018361 and 2 others like this

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Ha. Brownback.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

There is no such thing as a moderate republican.

What about this guy:

Hillary_Clinton_official_Secretary_of_St

• The Yokel, WBaker and Mr. House like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'm all for gay rights but I never understand why none gay people get so upset about it.

Tyler
  • Tyler

I couldn't possibly comment

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Despicable that they'd try to pass what is essentially an unconstitutional piece of legislation to further add weight to their prejudices. The day is fast approaching when marriage equality will be federally recognized. This "state's rights" bullsh*t when considering things like civil rights and liberties is just absurd. The problem goes deeper than political motivations and government, but prejudice like this has to be stemmed at every chance when you're talking about enacting laws to stop two consenting adults from marrying. It's just ridiculous.

• 018361 and redfirebird87 like this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:34 PM Edited by Nale Dixon, 14 February 2014 - 11:36 PM.

Russia banned the promotion of homosexuality to minors through the media, they didnt ban being gay. Being gay is perfectly legal and admitting you are gay is too..

Why don't you go off to Russia and start proclaiming you're gay and let's see how long you last before being beaten to a pulp by cops and thrown in jail.

being on TV at 3 pm and talking about how being gay is the greatest thing in the world and anal sex and things like that, to children who dont even know what sex is or what a penis is.. thats not allowed, for good reason.

It also doesn't happen, what kind of a fantasy  world do you live in?

If a kid turns out to be gay, it shouldnt be because he thought he was gay from age 5 because someone told him its super cool and stuff.

That's not how being gay works.

I also have no idea what this has to do with America. 

• Fallcreek likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

Russia banned the promotion of homosexuality to minors through the media, they didnt ban being gay. Being gay is perfectly legal and admitting you are gay is too.. being on TV at 3 pm and talking about how being gay is the greatest thing in the world and anal sex and things like that, to children who dont even know what sex is or what a penis is.. thats not allowed, for good reason.

If a kid turns out to be gay, it shouldnt be because he thought he was gay from age 5 because someone told him its super cool and stuff.

I don't think that anyone turns gay because someone says it's cool...

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

I believe that this in and of itself is unconstitutional as it allows people to be legally discriminated against in favor for someones religious values. I think that this violates separation of church and state and although I respect people's religious values I think it is also as important to respect someone else's rights just the same. In my opinion this is a big case of hypocrisy because these people claim to be religious yet they do not practice as they preach. They say to love your brother/neighbor yet they often times do the exact opposite by only showing how much they hate people. I can see it now. " hey remember when they turn the dogs and fire hoses on us for walking into the straight restaurant or drinking from the straight fountain. " In my opinion this would be the same as erasing the civil rights movement from history and going back to the black/white schools, fountains, restaurants, bars, etc.  

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:49 PM Edited by GrandMaster Smith, 14 February 2014 - 11:52 PM.

Russia banned the promotion of homosexuality to minors through the media, they didnt ban being gay. Being gay is perfectly legal and admitting you are gay is too.. being on TV at 3 pm and talking about how being gay is the greatest thing in the world and anal sex and things like that, to children who dont even know what sex is or what a penis is.. thats not allowed, for good reason.

I don't think that anyone turns gay because someone says it's cool...

You'd be amazed at how many people started 'becoming gay' around my area and shout for equal rights and all that only to come back around a year or so later. There's this one girl in particular that comes to mind that I've known since elementary school, she had jumped back and forth between gay and straight about 6 times and her ex girlfriend is now pregnant and getting married to a guy lol.

Yes I believe there are plenty of people who claim to be gay because it's been becoming the new cool thing that makes them feel different, is everyone like that? I doubt it. But do notice how many of these new outcomers feel the need to display their sexual orientation to the world as if anyone cared in the first place what goes on in their own private bedrooms, it's just another clique to make people feel accepted. Not to mention the recent immunity homosexuals have gained against any sort of criticism. people love that.

And no I'm not a bigot or hate gays, I just think the amount of media attention it brings in is ridiculous and we have much more important things to worry about than some football player who likes to take it up the ass after a couple of beers. 

• Ohaidurr likes this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

It's something in your brain, it doesn't matter how "cool" I tell a straight man being gay is, he's not just going to go out and f*ck other dudes because I said that it's fun.

Russia treats gay people like sh*t, you can't argue that, they might not make it illegal but they sure will discriminate against you like all hell if you're openly gay.

TheGreenSadler
  • TheGreenSadler

Born in sin, COME ON IN.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Of course, its only republicans and conservatives that hate gay people. You liberals never cease to amaze me.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

About the only bad part of the bill is that it's applicable to the government as well, other than that it's a step in the right direction towards getting rid of laws forcing people to associate against their will.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

I think a topic like this is good every once in a while to weed out the morons among us.

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

About the only bad part of the bill is that it's applicable to the government as well, other than that it's a step in the right direction towards getting rid of laws forcing people to associate against their will.

So someone should also be able to refuse someone service in their restaurant if they're black or in a wheelchair then, or simply because they just don't like the look of them?

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:38 AM Edited by Vlynor, 15 February 2014 - 12:38 AM.

think ron paul supporters and how he was polling ahead of obama the week he stopped running against romney.

He would have beat obama, he was ahead of Romney and that turd almost did it while insulting 50% of the country about wanting handouts.

I like Ron Paul. I didn't agree with all of what he had to say, but he was consistent. Also, he was not a moderate by any means.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:38 AM Edited by Chunkyman, 15 February 2014 - 12:39 AM.

So someone should also be able to refuse someone service in their restaurant if they're black or in a wheelchair then, or simply because they just don't like the look of them?

Yes. 

Since I know morons (this isn't directed at you) will go "HURR DURR SO YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE AND CRIPPLES AND WANT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THEM!" from this, know that it's a matter of principle concerning property rights, not because I'm giving approval for how people will sometimes use them. 

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, cen u gibe me de peprment pls?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:42 AM Edited by theNGclan, 15 February 2014 - 12:46 AM.

Dude. I live in Kansas and I can completely say this:

Why the flying f*ck should you even care what our idiotic local Government thinks? It won't make it through, so quit throwing a fit over it.

Boo hoo. Another anti-gay ordeal. boo-f*cking-hoo. It won't pass so don't even waste your time on bashing or even questioning the stupidity of my local Government. Doing so will drop your IQ to a low double digit ratio.

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

it's a matter of principle concerning property rights, not because I'm giving approval for how people will sometimes use them. 

Well I'd say that someone's right to live a life free of discrimination is more important than the right of some bigot to be able to discriminate. The baser right (in this case that someone should be able to do what they want on/in their own property) isn't always the best or right one. 

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:10 AM Edited by Nale Dixon, 15 February 2014 - 01:18 AM.

Well you guys win. There's no point in continuing to combat the stupidity on this forum, so it's back to snarky remarks without actually addressing any points.

f*ck Ron Paul, Ron Paul is mentally ill and pretty stupid.

f*ck your property rights.

and f*ck a guy in the ass, maybe you'll lighten up about the whole thing.

Oh lmfao, Ron Paul did not poll ahead of Romney, Ron Paul came last, literally last in polling for leadership selection because even republicans can see what a stupid crackpot the man is.

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

Kansas doesn't discriminate. Kansas hates everyone equally (except for white males who appear to have down syndrome. Re: Sam Brownback)

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

Despicable that they'd try to pass what is essentially an unconstitutional piece of legislation to further add weight to their prejudices. The day is fast approaching when marriage equality will be federally recognized. This "state's rights" bullsh*t when considering things like civil rights and liberties is just absurd. 

40982.jpg

• Tyler and Melchior like this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

Oh lmfao, Ron Paul did not poll ahead of Romney, Ron Paul came last, literally last in polling for leadership selection because even republicans can see what a stupid crackpot the man is.

I said Ron Paul polled ahead of OBAMA while still running against ROMNEY, that ROMNEY was below RON PAUL in support if they were against OBAMA

See this article, it happened, 43% Ron Paul 41% Obama.... not in a head to head PAUL vs ROMNEY

http://www.csmonitor...ma-head-to-head

At the moment, Ron Paul bests President Obama in a head-to-head matchup by 43 to 41 percent, according to a Rasmussen Reports poll released Tuesday.

By Peter Grier, Staff writer / February 28, 2012

That’s right, leads – as in, ahead of, out front, winning, and so forth. According to a Rasmussen Reports poll released Tuesday, at the moment Representative Paul bests Mr. Obama in a head-to-head matchup by 43 to 41 percent.

I'm not sure I'm going to accept Christian Science as a source. Particularly when it doesn't even link the apparent polls, only linking Obama's. In any case it doesn't mean a damn thing, you could suggest that had Hulk Hogan went up against Obama then Hogan would have won. But Hogan did not. Ron Paul did not either because he is so much of a f*cking fruit that not even the Tea Party or it's voters want to associate with him.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:40 AM Edited by Chunkyman, 15 February 2014 - 01:41 AM.

it's a matter of principle concerning property rights, not because I'm giving approval for how people will sometimes use them. 

Well I'd say that someone's right to live a life free of discrimination is more important than the right of some bigot to be able to discriminate. 

If you stop a morbidly obese, bearded, and HIV-ridden women from sleeping with you, you are unambiguously violating her "right to live a life free from discrimination". You are also violating that "right" whenever you don't invite someone to a party, tell someone to leave your house, refuse to do work with the man defecating on the floor of your business, reject someone as a friend, refuse to hire a violent pedophile, not letting homeless people annex your sofa if you ever allow friends/family to crash there,  etc.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Well I'd say that someone's right to live a life free of discrimination is more important than the right of some bigot to be able to discriminate. 

If you stop a morbidly obese, bearded, and HIV-ridden women from sleeping with you, you are unambiguously violating her "right to live a life free from discrimination". You are also violating that "right" whenever you don't invite someone to a party, tell someone to leave your house, refuse to do work with the man defecating on the floor of your business, reject someone as a friend, refuse to hire a violent pedophile, etc.

Jesus Christ shut up. You're seriously one of the stupidest most uninformed Ayn Rand Institute spouting morons on the internet. and I'm including reddit in that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users