16 replies to this topic
Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hi guys,

It's very simple: my computer boots up fine. No beeps, fans spinning up, no indications. Still, the screen gives me nothing but blackness. I thought it was my screen, but a different screen gives the same result. Both HDMI and VGA/DVI (blue thingys) don't work. The videocard starts up fine: fans spinning, no lights/beeps.

What the f*ck am I supposed to do?
My holidays just started and I spent 500 very recently, how convenient. Also, keep in mind that this GPU is less than a year old and is used like it should. I am never buying AMD again ...

Thanks in advance,

Exxon

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

How old is the card? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's without defects, it happens, just RMA it and get a replacement.

Do the monitors work on another system?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, I should have updated it earlier.

-I tried a different screen, same result
-I tried a different GPU, same result.

It may not be very wise, but I used YouTube and found a video about the CMOS battery. I pulled it out and put the jumper on the 2nd/3rd pin deleting the CMOS memory. I am now at Startup Repair (screen I ought damaged still works, I can now go into the BIOS etc.). But, I tried Startup Repair 5 times and it didn't work. Going back to a certain point in time with Systemrecovery multiple times, but it can not complete this.

Your guys' thoughts?

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (Πvar.ΣΓ01122599)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Wait, why did you use Startup Repair (if your screen started working again)? Or did it start by itself?

If repairing or restoring don't work, you should probably reinstall. I'm not familiar with Windows 7, but a reinstall will probably delete your files. You can backup your files by booting another OS (such as a Linux distro, on live CD) and access your HDD that way (unless you've encrypted your files, but some folders may be inaccessible anyway).

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

I fooled around with the CMOS battery switch and the screen gives signal again.

After that, I used Startup Repair 5 times but it doesn't work. I somehow got to acces PC Angel Recovery but after it was done reinstalling Windows (yes, most files and software gone :/) it says it cannot start windows up and it advises me to try again (needles to say, doing so gives the same error). During PC Angel it said something like a memory error.

Should I try using a new HDD or RAM?

Shmoopy
  • Shmoopy

Thug (͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

I fooled around with the CMOS battery switch and the screen gives signal again.

After that, I used Startup Repair 5 times but it doesn't work. I somehow got to acces PC Angel Recovery but after it was done reinstalling Windows (yes, most files and software gone :/) it says it cannot start windows up and it advises me to try again (needles to say, doing so gives the same error). During PC Angel it said something like a memory error.

Should I try using a new HDD or RAM?

The Bootmanager must be corrupt , you should format your boot partition and install a new OS , but i find it weird that the motherboard didn't give you a beep when booting , Did you build this PC by yourself ?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

But it already reinstalled Windows from scratch, isn't that the same?
Also, how do I format the boot partition? Do I do that through the BIOS?

And no, Alternate built it for me two years ago and I replaced the GPU successfully a year ago, no problems occured. I did make the setup with the help of this forum, but the guys from Alternate put it all in one piece.

I really hope its not a hardware problem. Okay, I've lost all software and data and such, but I can't afford buying a new pc (even though I'd probably only need 1 or 2 new components once the problem is found) ...

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Sorry but I still need to take a step back just to get some clarity of my own.

Ok when you first started the topic:

You turn your PC on and nothing was on the screen?

Now you've messed with the CMOS and now something is on the screen?

That is up to the point that you run startup repair and then you say "....it doesn't work". What exactly is "it"? The monitor or the startup repair?

Also exactly what is startup repair? Is that part of Windows or part of the BIOS or what?

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:11 PM Edited by Exxon, 16 February 2014 - 10:57 AM.

Sorry for confusing haha. I took pictures of the errors with my phone, but I first have to find a way to upload them ... I'll try to upload them when I can.

By the way, Startup Repair is part of Windows itself. PC Angel Recovery is not, it was installed by Alternate. As for the "messing with the CMOS battery", I replaced the jumper from the 1st/2nd pin to 2nd/3rd pin to let it delete the memory regarding what components to start in which order and after around 10 minutes, I put it back on its original state.

EDIT

The error I found within the error report after Windows' Startup Repair:

IMAG2167.jpg

The error I got during PC Angel Recovery's attempt (it reinstalled Windows nonetheless):

IMAG2169.jpg

The error I get now when I try to boot up the pc (safe mode does not work either):

IMAG2170.jpg

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Ok so the important part is that the monitors are working again.

Here is a suggestion that might help. Read the one labeled Answer

http://answers.micro...6e-a32b53d4209f

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yes, it works again. I can start the pc, up to the point where Windows tries to configure itself. This is the part where the error on the last picture appears.

Thanks for the answer! I guess I'll have to get myself a new Windows CD then ...

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:15 PM Edited by Exxon, 17 February 2014 - 12:17 PM.

Well, the methods you linked me too didn't seem to do anything, but after reinstalling Windows from the CD that came with the PC (the recovery CD) it works again!

I had to reinstall my motherboard and GPU drivers, but everything seems to work again. Only thing is, I thought I had Home Basic instead of Premium ...

Should I reinstall Premium again, even though that'd be the third time I'd reinstall it now (I did something wrong so I reinstalled two times...)?

I mean, Home Basic feels quite different than Premium :/

And not to forget: even though I still have all my files (somehow), the configuration screen only reports about 20 programs installed and I used to have more than 100.

How's about that?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

That depends, are there features in Premium that you really need? If so then yes, and if when you give it the product code and it gives you any trouble just call Microsoft and they can help you.

As for the programs you lost, just reinstall them.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Well, if I reinstall Windows 7 again: will I have to reinstall games and drivers again or is it really ONLY the OS?

As for the personal data, everything is still there :)

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:07 PM Edited by friendly luggage, 17 February 2014 - 09:08 PM.

Yes you'd lose it all. Save the program and driver installers plus your personal docs to a USB or external before you reinstall. Don't use Windows 7 starter edition because it's only 32 bit.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

In that case, I´ll keep this version. The very only downside is that the wallpaper keeps disappearing ... how´s that?

The slightly different looks are very acceptable to me. Too bad I can't get it legitimately activated, because I installed the wrong version of Windows 7 regarding the Windows activation code that came with the PC  :lol:

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (Πvar.ΣΓ01122599)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

If you want your PC to be secure, you should reinstall the correct version and activate it so that you can receive updates.

You always need to reinstall drivers, programs, and games after a Windows reinstall. Even if the files are still there, the registry gets deleted and as a result most software will not work anymore (unless you reinstall it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users