Quantcast

» «
Photo

Physical vs Digital? What is your preference?

33 replies to this topic

Poll: Digital Games vs Physical Games (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Physical Games vs Digital Games

1. Physical Games (44 votes [83.02%])

Percentage of vote: 83.02%

2. Digital Games (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

What is your preference when it comes to buying either physical or digital games?

For me, I prefer physical as I just feel more comfortable with it, and that was before my (now broken) PS3's hard drive corrupted and I was unable to sign into my old PSN, after that, I feel even less comfortable with digital games.

And there is also the other disadvantages of the fact that buying a game chews up your internet and digital games obviously take up a lot more space than their physical counterparts.

There are a couple of advantages of digital games and those are that games than never be sold out and you don't have to go to the crowded shopping center (going to the crowded shopping center is not an issue for me, apart from the boxing day sales where you line up for the escalator like it's a theme park ride, but it would be an issue for disabled people.).

But the negatives outweigh the positives when it comes to digital games.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Nothing can top, the opening of a new boxed game. The day every console goes digital only, I will quit gaming.
  • Killerdude8, CatDog96, CantThinkOfOne2013 and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Since, I've a fast broadband connection, prefer Digital (PC games), it's easy and convenient. Besides, there are several offers during special days or holiday sales that makes it cheaper. Since I love old games, they come with the best discounted prices. 

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Physical:

1). I can return the game if it's sh*t, or re-sell it later on. Can't do both with digital.

2). It's cheaper here (the average physical game is €60,- while the average digital game is €70,-. Sony's digital games are still €60,-)

3). Pre-order bonuses and Special Editions. A lot of times, I can't find those in the digital store.

4). I like having the cases.

• Vanto likes this

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

normally physical, but I have plus now so i've been amassing a digital collection. It was free though but i still have owned 100 x more physical games than digital

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

It depends really.

I am all for digital and love not having to lean over and swap discs over all the time, I buy digital games I already own in disc form just so I don't have to. This is also good because you don't need the massive space required for £3000 worth of game discs. Everywhere can download it on day 1 on release date with no delayed releases for other continents. Cheaper to sell as it costs them nothing to let you download it, no manuals or cases to bother with. However, I like to know I physically own a game, even if it is just the file, just so I know that if I happened to be in the apocalypse and have my console or pc that the game will run without outside help, and be able to be moved to any new device.

With discs I do also enjoy the feeling of getting a new one but really the feeling goes pretty quick when I have to install a game disc to the hard drive, and balance it on the ever growing stack of games I have.

I personally would prefer digital, as long as well always have full access to it and the files. I don't want to be in a world where I might have all my games taken away from me just by removing my access to them. I like to know I truly own them and the file.

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Nothing beats waiting 2 years for a game to come out and finally going inside the store to ask for a copy on release day. That moment when the guy places the box on the counter is orgasmic.

Digital is no doubt more practical though.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

I prefer Physical but Digital can come in handy at peak times.

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I've actually bought about 30 digital games the past 12 months compared to about 5 physical games.

But even then I do enjoy getting physical games because for one.. I won't have to worry about how much space I have left on my PS3/360 to see if I should postpone the game until later

Not to mention I enjoy sniffing a fresh new copy of a game every time and collecting it side by side with the rest of my games.

(justgamerthings)

AJ Lee
  • AJ Lee

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Physical, because I have sh*tty net. and nothing beats having a disc and case. At least if you want to play a game you can instantly put it on instead of having to download it.

EagleStrike
  • EagleStrike

Yo

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Physical because:
1. I like having a case to store it
2. I can trade or return it
3. Doesn't take as much space
4. Disc versions of older games are usually cheaper (sometimes) for example I saw MP3 for $20 bucks for a physical version and $30-40 digital
5. I can let a friend borrow it

Though digital does have some benifits such as sales and the ability to quickly switch games.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Nothing can top, the opening of a new boxed game. The day every console goes digital only, I will quit gaming.

I agree, except the quitting gaming part. By 2020, I'm sure all games will be digital only, so I'm going to have to accept it.

Another reason I prefer physical copies is the ressuring fact that if my internet connection goes down, or if my data gets corrupted, I can still play.

Shug
  • Shug

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Digital, so i don't need to move my ass from the couch.

And yes i'm lazy.

• Daz and BuyMeTheMoon like this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Digital. I'm getting lazier by the minute. Also...game packaging isn't what it used to be anyway. You're lucky if you even get a nifty printed manual these days.

If I'm totally LTTP I may picked up a used physical copy to save some bucks.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

I prefer digital because most games seem to run smoother, and there's no disc to scratch or smudge...plus I'm worried my 360 disc drive may be doomed - it opens when I already have a game in but refuses to when it is empty. I have to press the eject button 4+ times to get it to work. Have also had issues with the Gamecube, Wii, and PS3 disc readers. That said I do like to have cases with nice art and manuals.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

The only issue I see now is that despite next gen consoles having larger storage and in the PS4's case, replacable to anything you want. I still worry about this. Because if everything is available digital on day 1, I have no reason to preorder, I would much rather know for a fact I am going to get my game on release where as other times I have had a game not turn up and that is more heartbreaking than the occasional time of getting a game a day before release.

So the issue is with games being in excess of 45GB per game, and some having patches as large as 13GB, I can't imagine how large DLC will be. And think of how long the next gen consoles will last. Unless they sort out some serious compression techniques soon we are all going to be up sh*t creek without any space left for digital releases.

My internet speed isn't very good and I don't feel I should have to store these downloaded games on other devices just to be able to play them again, I would rather just remove what I don't play and DL the others.

Who knows what will happen, but I feel that for at least AAA titles with preorder bonuses and being more of a risky investment I might stick to disc based, that way I am not screwed if the game ends up being sh*te. I can just store the disc and case away. However anything I know I want to keep forever and always play, like a GTA or Battlefield title then I can go digital, but even then I will miss having the case to show for it.

I love seeing the spine logo in the stack and I always feel a sense of relief that a game I have been waiting for years to be released is now sat infront of me.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

I kind of in between both worlds.

Digital is more convenient and sometimes faster.

But there is something special about having the disc. I also feel more obligated on playing games on discs sometimes. I got lot of steam games and it is massive,but I don't touch all my games. 500+ gb out of  1 tb have been used for my games.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

Physical. Why? When I'm paying 40 or more bucks per game, I rather have it actually exist in my house. When I'm buying games for 99 cents to 30 bucks, I'll get the digital copy. Especially during steam sales. I would switch to digital, if the prices reflected that you are getting a non physical copy. But that isn't going to be happening anytime soon.

• UtricularEwe001 likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:57 AM Edited by Tycek, 13 February 2014 - 08:58 AM.

Physical for me. because I prefer it over digital for couple of reasons listed again. 

1. I can sell my copy when I'm not happy with the game (I did it with Mafia 2 for example).

2. Physical games are cheaper than digital. If they really want to compete they need to reduce the price to 50-70% of original. (In Poland you could get many physical games for 50 euro, while digital copies are priced usually around 60).

3. I can buy second hand games, when it's not worth the full price. (Digital games are keeping the same price years after premieres). 

4. I like some gadgets added to special editions of the games.

I can get digital copies as long as they're available as a bargain (I got Bully for Xbox for around 3 pounds), but in other cases I prefer physical copies.

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

I recently bought a new PS3 because my old one's driver got messed up due to heating. This PS3 is the super slim version where you have to manually put/remove the disk, which requires a lot more caution than the previous versions.

Any digital game would certanly last more for me with this new system than disk based ones, so I'm all up for it.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

I'm more worried about if they are going in the direction of a "streaming game service" (Netflix), what will be our rights to the specific titles? Believe me, I love the idea. Streaming services are basically buying the rights to show that title for a contracted amount of time. What happens when the contract runs out? Will they renew it? Only reason I'm pointing this out is because streaming services now with movies don't always renew. I love Netflix. But certain movies come and go before you know it.

Physical vs Digital ...........

Example: Say back in the day digital was already here. I mean back in the day meaning when PS1 was in. (I know PS1 was not capable of doing this, lets just say it was. LOL) Say I bought Twisted Metal 2 digital only copy. What would be my rights to it today?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Before anyone votes, please do me a favor. Dig up some dough, buy a fresh new game, open it, and smell the sh*t out of it. THEN vote.

• Shenmue18, JBanton and UtricularEwe001 like this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

PC: I prefer digital now that I have a decent download speed and plenty of storage

Console: Physical because of less storage, and I might want to sell my game or lend it

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

Digital would be better if it was cheaper. 

Physical copy can be given to a friend or even traded back in for money. 

Digital copy can run better for some games and is easier for lazy people. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Whatever's cheaper or more efficient.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I actually struggled to pick an option - I love having a disc to open and keep forever... however I only seem to buy the disc on the PS3 and all my games on the 360 are digital downloads?

Have no idea why I do that....

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Physical because
1: Special/Collector's Edition games will come with real stuff (Maps, Guides, Hats, T-Shirts and what have you) if you buy the physical copy.
2: Call me old fashioned, but I just like having a case to the game.
3: Better for the company due to less likelihood of piracy.
4: Don't have to worry about companies forcing you to use digital keys and not being able to play the game if you change to a new computer and new hard drive. 
5: I can sell the game
6: I can let a friend borrow the game 
7: Don't have to use hard drive space downloading the full game.
8: People with slow internet speeds don't have to wait all day for a game to download.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

q

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Unless there's a significant price difference for a digital copy or one is hard to find, I always go with a physical copy

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Physical, because I love looking at a shelf where my games are and say - "Damn, I'm rich."

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Definitely physical. I have a few games I've downloaded on my PS3 and 360, but I still like buying physical copies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users