[PS3] Offroad trails

193 replies to this topic
XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

I like creating races, but I doubt I'll come up with any slow trails anytime soon. I've got a lot of free mode scouting to do before I'll be ready to attempt to create anything like yours.

I have other (not off-road) races I'm already working on, but I've enjoyed the off-road trails so much I decided I needed to put those on hold and try to give something back. I was home sick today so I scouted around in a Frogger until I spotted a location with potential and put something together. Nothing too challenging, but hopefully fun. Let me know what you think.

The Old Watering Hole

http://rsg.ms/Q9pzOY

Created and tested with stock Injection, as I hoped to make it accessible with a variety of off-road vehicles. Successfully playtested with custom Mesa, Rebel, Sanchez, and Sandking SWB. Unsuccessfully playtested with stock Rebel. Much less challenging with Sanchez, could actually be raced instead of crawled.

Damn man!  Well done is all I can say. That trail was a ton of fun in my MW Mesa.  Very well thought out and some very challenging sidehilling and cool rock formations.  Just an awesome location overall.  First official  :^:  :^:

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:26 AM Edited by XJpostman, 03 April 2014 - 02:59 AM.

I've thrown a couple of my new tracks into the OP and updated my favorite tracks from the thread.  Let me know what you think of the new trails.

I'd like to throw out a challenge to the people that say the Rebel is the best 4x4 to climb up Aunt Flow with one.  From when I've tried its impossible.  If you so feel the need to try and decide to give up, the only way to cheat around is:

RebelMap_zpse020171c.jpg

I'm not saying ^this^ route is easy either, but I was able to complete the race that way.  I don't quit unless I absolutely have to.

I'd say let me know if you make it but I'm going to need video proof to believe a Rebel can make it.

rkent
  • rkent

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

I'm much more of a racer and am new to trail ride/crawler courses.  Please feel free to give advice/critique.

1_0.jpg

SandKings on Sand

Climb up into your 2 miles per gallon, over-compensation machine, crank Rebel Radio and proceed at a snail's pace in this Sandking challenge. Sandkings on Sand is a slow rock crawl and trail ride on the beach in Paleto Cove. Finish off your trail ride with some downhome, country grub at the Bayview Lodge.

1_0.jpg

Naughty Pines

After fillin' yer gut with breakfast dessert, aka pancakes and waffles, head up into the clean mountain air for some hardy trail riding. That shortness of breath and racing heartbeat isn't just from your poor breakfast choice. Buckle into the Sandking, and drive slowly.

• XJpostman likes this

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Here's a new track that I made over the weekend.  Needs a little polish, feel free to comment on CP placement and any place you think additional props may be needed, but I'm happy with the direction it's heading..

Alamo Sunrise

http://rsg.ms/1iZr0ZH

• XJpostman likes this

Jobbo
  • Jobbo

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:17 PM Edited by Jobbo, 02 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

I'm going to share a couple I found but didn't create (they came from this playlist of 14; I don't recommend playing the whole thing through because they're mostly longer than they look: http://socialclub.ro...tlUyFYqHgC9BHCQ):

First, one that I enjoyed and thought was quite original - a circuit of the Alamo Sea: http://rsg.ms/QFvg7o

Second, only try this if you are a total masochist.  It took me 37 minutes because it starts on the beach on the west coast and ends on the beach on the east, going up Josiah, Chilliad and Gordo the most complicated ways en route.  The final checkpoint probably took the best part of 10 minutes alone but it is possible (in a Sandking anyway).  I won't give away the finish but if you want to know it, click the spoiler tag below: http://rsg.ms/QFvHyL

Spoiler

• XJpostman likes this

Gunslinger_GK
  • Gunslinger_GK

STRR Lieutenant

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

http://socialclub.ro...platformId=null

Short MX Race in Sandy Shores

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

I've thrown a couple of my new tracks into the OP and updated my favorite tracks from the thread.  Let me know what you think of the new trails.

I'd like to throw out a challenge to the people that say the Rebel is the best 4x4 to climb up Aunt Flow with one.  From when I've tried its impossible.  If you so feel the need to try and decide to give up, the only way to cheat around is:

RebelMap_zpse020171c.jpg

I'm not saying ^this^ route is easy either, but I was able to complete the race that way.  I don't quit unless I absolutely have to.

I'd say let me know if you make it but I'm going to need video proof to believe a Rebel can make it.

You're evil, lol

I tried this with a stock Sandking and the few times I made it to the top I drowned instantly.  Normally I like to run these trails in the Sandking to feel them out, and then take my Dune Buggy and see how far I get, but, just no on this one :)  

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'd like to throw out a challenge to the people that say the Rebel is the best 4x4 to climb up Aunt Flow with one.  From when I've tried its impossible.  If you so feel the need to try and decide to give up, the only way to cheat around

--snip--

You're evil, lol

I tried this with a stock Sandking and the few times I made it to the top I drowned instantly.  Normally I like to run these trails in the Sandking to feel them out, and then take my Dune Buggy and see how far I get, but, just no on this one :)  

Lol I know its crazy but what's even crazier is the Sandking can make it! It usually takes around 10 min in a stock one but with my fully upgraded I made it in under 2 minutes.

I'm pretty sure this is a Sandking only obstacle though. Like I said, my Rebel was a long way off from even coming close.

Should I put more disclaimers in the description as to how hard it is or do people even read those before tyring it?

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

In the 20-30 minutes I was running it last night, I find that amazing that the Sandking even makes it.  The few times I got to the top of the falls my screen instantly turned gray, never had a chance to try and make the last checkpoint.  When we get the 2nd garage I'm planning to get a Sandking to trick out, so I'll probably have another crack at it then.  I'm clearly lacking on power and talent (mostly power :rol:) with the stock one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the description, I think it's fine.  Likely the only people who won't get the message are the ones that don't pay attention and just jump into the race without reading the description, like you said, or even looking at the map.        

• XJpostman likes this

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:18 PM Edited by CJXJ220, 06 April 2014 - 11:24 PM.

Made another one:

This one started out as an idea to stretch the length of Alamo Sunrise a bit, but after testing, I decided that while I liked the addition, it didn't really fit the rest of the trail.  So I expanded it into it's own trail and I'm happy with the result.  

Easy as A-B-Sea

http://rsg.ms/QUyN1Q

As noted in the description, this course basically requires a Sandking.  I've managed to clear it in the Dune Buggy, but only because I was able to advance one of the checkpoints just before drowning.  I also had to use the rocks to catch a bit of air and keep the engine from being submerged for any extended period.  Also, a modified Sandking should have a slightly easier time of it, it takes me a couple tries to clear the obstacle at checkpoint 20 in the stock one I had to test with.

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

Lol I know its crazy but what's even crazier is the Sandking can make it! It usually takes around 10 min in a stock one but with my fully upgraded I made it in under 2 minutes.

I'm pretty sure this is a Sandking only obstacle though. Like I said, my Rebel was a long way off from even coming close.

Should I put more disclaimers in the description as to how hard it is or do people even read those before tyring it?

I just failed at this in a stock Sandking for 60 minutes straight.

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Damn! I swear I've made it in a stock sandking. It took just under 20 minutes the first time but now I can get it in around 12 with a stock Sandking and I actually did it in a second or two under 2 minutes with my fully upgraded one.

I don't want it to be impossible for other people though. I think I will add a bit more of a warning into the description for now. I actually enjoy it so I don't want to delete it all together.

ALPHaRyuTaTSuMaKi
  • ALPHaRyuTaTSuMaKi

Ironically Yours

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:25 PM Edited by ALPHaRyuTaTSuMaKi, 13 April 2014 - 03:44 PM.

Inspired in part by the Windows 95 games of the same name. They all begin in the Racetrack, under the premise that you and your rivals decide to ditch the Sunday Night Monster Truck Rally and decide to go on a racing rampage, instead. These races are largely anti "hold-accelerate-to-win" and good if you like races where your truck has battle scars by the end of it.

However, there seems to be a problem with people being able to bring in 'Custom Cars' that are Off-Road, rather than simply Custom Sandkings. I'd like to see THAT fixed, rather than kicking people and working obligatory water-traps into my races for Bikes and Biftas.

MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS (Industrial Areas/Docks, Semi-Off-Road)

Escape the same ol' Sunday Night Monster Truck Rally and challenge your rivals to a car crushing, gate smashing, water logged race. Take risky shortcuts in San Andreas' taxing, and dangerous to traverse industrial areas. Sandkings and skilled drivers only.

MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS 2 (East->North San Andreas, Off-Road)

Let the MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS continue- You and your rivals break loose again on the streets, taking the eastern trainline grand tour, out of the blue, into the deep red, and finish under the red, white and blue. Sandkings and skilled drivers only.

MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS 3 (East San Andreas->Mount Chilliad, Off-Road)

This is the most taxing MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS race yet- Reach the top of Mount Chiliad via San Andreas' Windy Windmill roads, to become King of the Hill! Sandkings and skilled drivers only.

EDIT: I've made a Playlist of the 3 existing tracks-

http://socialclub.ro...CxkeZwqN0WHZb8A

• XJpostman likes this

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Damn! I swear I've made it in a stock sandking. It took just under 20 minutes the first time but now I can get it in around 12 with a stock Sandking and I actually did it in a second or two under 2 minutes with my fully upgraded one.

I don't want it to be impossible for other people though. I think I will add a bit more of a warning into the description for now. I actually enjoy it so I don't want to delete it all together.

I know you've done it in a stock Sandking because you need to test it to publish it (and I trust you didn't detour). ;-)

I wouldn't have kept trying for that long if I wasn't sure you'd done it.

I'm sure it's not impossible, I'm just not approaching it right.

I don't think it needs more warnings, though. And surely don't delete it. It is a monument. :-)

Jobbo
  • Jobbo

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

I tried Aunt Flow last night - the map above doesn't do justice to it.  Would have tried it sooner if I'd realised you have to drive up the rapids :cool:

Took 2m 19s in my modded Sandking; I failed three or four times so it would be pretty quick if you took the right route first time.  On my successful attempt the screen greyed out and I re-spawned within nanonseconds of triggering the checkpoint at the top, so I didn't feel like I'd really done it properly.  Is it feasible to do it without drowning?

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

I tried Aunt Flow last night - the map above doesn't do justice to it.  Would have tried it sooner if I'd realised you have to drive up the rapids :cool:

Took 2m 19s in my modded Sandking; I failed three or four times so it would be pretty quick if you took the right route first time.  On my successful attempt the screen greyed out and I re-spawned within nanonseconds of triggering the checkpoint at the top, so I didn't feel like I'd really done it properly.  Is it feasible to do it without drowning?

It is possible.  There is a pretty specific route you have to take and sometimes hope for a lucky bounce but it is possible.

AuntFlow_zps055467ba.jpg?t=1397092963

The reason the last checkpoint is so far back is to help give you some momentum but you still have to drive your truck onto the rocks on the left just before the falls (not depicted in the map).  I'm pretty sure this restarts the "drown out" timer.  Then aim for the left side of the bottom of the falls and try bounce towards the right hand side of the next ledge/falls.  After that try get the truck to bounce towards the left hand side as you come to the top.  Keep some momentum and aim your left tire towards the point that juts out in front of you, keep left and hope for the best.

It's definitely finicky sometimes and can get frustrating but feel like an accomplishment when done right.   I've done it 6 or 7 times now and it always surprises me that it makes it.  I had to complete it in a stock Sandking when I was testing it so it is very possible.

• Cornbat likes this

Jobbo
  • Jobbo

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

That's the route I took - guess I was just unlucky to drown at all, but lucky to trigger the top checkpoint first :)  

I think you're right about the drown timer resetting when you leave the water, but I'm sure the timer shortens sometimes; not sure that would be if you start with damage or you've already nearly drowned it, and I haven't done nearly enough testing to have a real clue.

Nice test anyway; I have too many other bookmarked races to try so I will re-bookmark it when I've whittled them down.

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

I was not getting on dry ground prior to the falls.

All the same, I did make it out the top of the falls several times, but always drowned between the falls and the checkpoint.

I couldn't figure out which side of the falls I should be exiting on. I tried both. On one occasion, i came to a complete stop at the top of the falls on the right side, with enough clearance to just sit there, not drowning. Moving forward eventually was an immediate flooding though.

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Ya it's a very finicky checkpoint to hit, so much do that I'd say clipping it and respawning on the rocks is success.

I just enjoy finding that absolute limitations of the vehicles. I show that in my latest trail. Probably my hardest one yet but I really like the feel of it. I'll throw it in the OP soon but you can find it on my social club. The Bane of Chiliad it's almost harder with a Sandking than a MW Mesa though.

@CJXJ220

Well done on Alamo Sunrise! I really enjoyed that trail. I had found that spot under the rail bridge not to long ago and was going to work it into a trail somehow but you did it for me. I'll say that some of the props seem a little unnecessary but they do make it very easy to follow the trail so no harm done. Looking forward to trying the sequel :)
  • CJXJ220 likes this

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Ya it's a very finicky checkpoint to hit, so much do that I'd say clipping it and respawning on the rocks is success.

I just enjoy finding that absolute limitations of the vehicles. I show that in my latest trail. Probably my hardest one yet but I really like the feel of it. I'll throw it in the OP soon but you can find it on my social club. The Bane of Chiliad it's almost harder with a Sandking than a MW Mesa though.

@CJXJ220

Well done on Alamo Sunrise! I really enjoyed that trail. I had found that spot under the rail bridge not to long ago and was going to work it into a trail somehow but you did it for me. I'll say that some of the props seem a little unnecessary but they do make it very easy to follow the trail so no harm done. Looking forward to trying the sequel :)

I totally respect your pursuit of the vehicle limits, but the limits are beginning to exceed my abilities. :-P

I just got up The Bane of Chiliad. I'm glad the Mesa is a good choice for it, as I've scaled my personal 4x4 ownership down to the Mesa until I get to purchase a second garage. Pretty sure I have never cussed out my Mesa so much as I just did in the too-many minutes it took me to get it up there. ;-)

@CJXJ220

I agree the spot under the rail bridge is pretty cool. I got behind on testing creator content I'd bookmarked, then did it all at once, so it's all kind of a blur in my memory and I didn't take the time to give feedback on everything I played. But when XJpostman mentioned the spot under the rail bridge I immediately recalled reaching that point and thinking "Oh cool, I never spotted this path."

• XJpostman and CJXJ220 like this

JonWal
  • JonWal

PSN

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Added a load of these just now so will try and get through a few tonight.

My fully Modded SandkingXL will have a go.

• jtet37 likes this

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:55 AM Edited by CJXJ220, 17 April 2014 - 05:56 AM.

Finally cleared Aunt Flow with a stock Sandking, but I did have to respawn at the checkpoint at the top of the falls.  The only way I could get there was to hug the rocks on the left coming over the top of the obstacle, but as I get to the checkpoint I get unceremoniously dumped out into the water, tagging the checkpoint as I drown lol.  Any other way and I simply do not have enough time or power to reach the checkpoint.

On another note, I have another trail that I put the finishing touches on tonight.  This one is far and away the most difficult course I've made, and testing with the stock Sandking some of the obstacles took me many tries to clear.  Checkpoints 27 (27-28 is featured in the race picture) and 37 are particularly nasty, so much so that I am getting a Sandking of my own now to modify, even though I was planning to wait until we got the second garage, and have a run another run at it to see if it makes it any easier.  It's all doable, though, and there are other ways to get around if you're stuck.

School of Rocks

http://rsg.ms/1mfxkxv

• XJpostman likes this

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

On another note, I have another trail that I put the finishing touches on tonight.  This one is far and away the most difficult course I've made, and testing with the stock Sandking some of the obstacles took me many tries to clear.  Checkpoints 27 (27-28 is featured in the race picture) and 37 are particularly nasty, so much so that I am getting a Sandking of my own now to modify, even though I was planning to wait until we got the second garage, and have a run another run at it to see if it makes it any easier.  It's all doable, though, and there are other ways to get around if you're stuck.

School of Rocks

http://rsg.ms/1mfxkxv

Just ran this with a custom Merryweather Mesa. Mesa was more than up to the challenge on all but one of the checkpoints.

Checkpoint 11 I eventually detoured. Thing is, I'm not sure if how I was trying to do it was really the intended path or not. Right before checkpoint 11 you've got a single tire stack. When I see a pair of tire stacks (or traffic cones or other props), I know I'm supposed to drive between them. When I see a single prop, I'm often not sure what that's supposed to indicate.

Fun though, thumbs up.

• CJXJ220 likes this

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

^^That's good to know.

I'll have to look at checkpoint 11 again, I don't think it let me put a second prop on that slope and I probably forgot to remove the one that I had there.  You're meant to go up the right side of that rock formation just to the left of the tire stack, I'll have to find some other way of marking it so it's not as confusing.

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

^^That's good to know.

I'll have to look at checkpoint 11 again, I don't think it let me put a second prop on that slope and I probably forgot to remove the one that I had there.  You're meant to go up the right side of that rock formation just to the left of the tire stack, I'll have to find some other way of marking it so it's not as confusing.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I was attempting the correct path then. That's the one spot that gave me trouble with the Mesa. Will have to try it again sometime.

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

^^That's good to know.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I was attempting the correct path then. That's the one spot that gave me trouble with the Mesa. Will have to try it again sometime.

With the stock Sandking I had to start from the left side, creep up the first bit to get up by the tires, then give it a bit of gas and work my way over to the right a bit before turning back left and up the slope.  Too far and I went off, too soon and I got beached in that crevice about halfway up.  I'll get a pic and draw it out if I get time this weekend.  27 and 37 gave me the most trouble, probably due to lack of power, but this would catch me out once in awhile as well.

Cornbat
  • Cornbat

Mad Dog

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

With the stock Sandking I had to start from the left side, creep up the first bit to get up by the tires, then give it a bit of gas and work my way over to the right a bit before turning back left and up the slope.  Too far and I went off, too soon and I got beached in that crevice about halfway up.  I'll get a pic and draw it out if I get time this weekend.  27 and 37 gave me the most trouble, probably due to lack of power, but this would catch me out once in awhile as well.

I must not be seeing the line to take. I tried it with my custom Mesa again and gave up on checkpoint 11 pretty quickly. Restarted with a stock Sandking. Ran the whole trail, and still nothing gave me trouble like checkpoint 11. I got the Sandking up eventually, but if I didn't believe you'd run a stock Sandking up there, I would not have thought it possible.

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I must not be seeing the line to take. I tried it with my custom Mesa again and gave up on checkpoint 11 pretty quickly. Restarted with a stock Sandking. Ran the whole trail, and still nothing gave me trouble like checkpoint 11. I got the Sandking up eventually, but if I didn't believe you'd run a stock Sandking up there, I would not have thought it possible.

I made a video of me climbing up the obstacle in a stock Sandking while in the creator:  Far from the best quality as I had to hold my phone and controller simultaneously and then drive while keeping the screen somewhat in focus:  Tried a picture but it didn't really work, plus this way you can see that it is possible, at least in the Sandking.  Hope this helps.

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

Made it up Bane of Chiliad in my now fully modded Dune Buggy.

Crazy and very fun trail, though I will say your checkpoint 15 is turned around (though I suspect that may be because you would otherwise not be able to place one in that location), I had to respawn a few times trying to make that near-vertical climb to get onto that rocky ledge and I'd get stuck in the trees trying to get turned around to make another run at the next checkpoint lol

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Made it up Bane of Chiliad in my now fully modded Dune Buggy.

Crazy and very fun trail, though I will say your checkpoint 15 is turned around (though I suspect that may be because you would otherwise not be able to place one in that location), I had to respawn a few times trying to make that near-vertical climb to get onto that rocky ledge and I'd get stuck in the trees trying to get turned around to make another run at the next checkpoint lol

I actually climbed this trail with my Sandking and then went into the CC to make it and couldn't believe how hard it was to find decent checkpoint locations.  There are a couple checkpoints that are on top of rocks as they are the only level spots in the area but I haven't found it to difficult to maneuver around them, even if you spawn on top :/ and the spot you mentioned was the same.  I did search the areas pretty good so I don't think I'll find any better.

I like this trail a lot too.  It's got a pretty sweet flow and can be done with not too much difficulty in a MW Mesa.  I can climb it in around 9 minutes on a good run with mine.  I've found the Sandking and Rebel to be much harder.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users