Photo

Considering building a Gaming PC

48 replies to this topic
SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:36 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 11 February 2014 - 07:37 PM.

Hi folks.

I was speaking to my friend the other week, and he recommended that I should begin building my own gaming PC.

I'm currently an avid PS3 gamer, but I'm slowly falling out of love with my once beloved system.

I'm currently debating over getting either a PS4 this summer, or saving up money to build my own Gaming rig. 

I don't have a "budget" to spend as such; If I do build a PC, I'll be building it over the course of a year or so, buying parts as and when I can afford them. I don't want "cutting edge hardware", I just want a system that can run most new-ish games, for example BattleField 3, rFactor 2, perhaps GTA IV with some graphics mods etc. I'd be able to upgrade as and when required, so top-of-the-line specs are not a big deal.

I'm just wondering if any of my fellow forumers could give me some pros and cons, as well as any tips and recommendations they might have, before I decide to make the jump.

:)

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Post in ze technology forum. This gaming gang ain't talking about that.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Rather than getting the parts over a year, I'd save up and then buy it all at once. This is because prices change and new products are released.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Rather than getting the parts over a year, I'd save up and then buy it all at once. This is because prices change and new products are released.

Pretty much this. By the time you purchase all parts, some of them will be half the price you originally payed, and new, better parts will be out for the same amount you spent originally. So that's not a good idea at all.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Anything but an Xbox One. PS4 or PC, all upto you.

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. There's a small PC parts store in town that sells loads of gaming components for PC's. Should I buy everything in bulk from them, and haggle with the owner (I know him fairly well) or should I just hunt online for the best deals?

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

Usually, I know a lot of people who get it off ebay. But if you can get it cheaper through the guy you know, it's your choice.

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Don't listen to this guy. He basically sucks Sony's D off. If you change your mind and a gaming PC is too expensive, consider buying a PS4 OR an Xbox One. Don't just immediately buy a PS4 because you read this idiot's post. Do some research and decide which console would be better for you.

• SilverRST likes this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. There's a small PC parts store in town that sells loads of gaming components for PC's. Should I buy everything in bulk from them, and haggle with the owner (I know him fairly well) or should I just hunt online for the best deals?

It might be worth seeing what he's got and then reporting back. Should be all good if you know he won't rip you off and build something unbalanced or with old parts

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

Don't listen to this guy. He basically sucks Sony's D off. If you change your mind and a gaming PC is too expensive, consider buying a PS4 OR an Xbox One. Don't just immediately buy a PS4 because you read this idiot's post. Do some research and decide which console would be better for you.

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Consoles have taken a turn for the worse this generation. Coming from a longtime x360 fan I can say will full confidence I will not be buying the X1 just off the whole shindig they tried to pull prior to release alone. Not to mention the focus being taken off gaming and pointed more towards a general tv media device. Or one of the largest failing gimmick of the kinect. Or MS themselves saying they want to kill off the Xbox.

I'm planning on buying a gaming PC once my tax returns come in. Seriously $500-$600 if built on your own will buy you a really nice computer far beyond what consoles are capable of. Also you can upgrade them on your own will whenever you please not being forced to play on nearly decade old hardware. Having options of keyboards or a gamepad, freedom to choose operating systems, much more flexibility in terms of capability.. this generation as far as gaming goes in a no brainer. Not to mention all the games so far are just rehashed last-gen games. 

Do yourself a favor and stick it to these gaming corporations who are currently destroying modern gaming as we know it, $60 a year to subscribe to a membership that requires you to pay charges on top of that to acquire apps which PS offers for free..? go f*ck yourself Mr. $78 billionaire Gates with your $2 avatar shirts and $5 pants. 

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Consoles have taken a turn for the worse this generation. Coming from a longtime x360 fan I can say will full confidence I will not be buying the X1 just off the whole shindig they tried to pull prior to release alone. Not to mention the focus being taken off gaming and pointed more towards a general tv media device. Or one of the largest failing gimmick of the kinect. Or MS themselves saying they want to kill off the Xbox.

I'm planning on buying a gaming PC once my tax returns come in. Seriously $500-$600 if built on your own will buy you a really nice computer far beyond what consoles are capable of. Also you can upgrade them on your own will whenever you please not being forced to play on nearly decade old hardware. Having options of keyboards or a gamepad, freedom to choose operating systems, much more flexibility in terms of capability.. this generation as far as gaming goes in a no brainer. Not to mention all the games so far are just rehashed last-gen games. 

Do yourself a favor and stick it to these gaming corporations who are currently destroying modern gaming as we know it, $60 a year to subscribe to a membership that requires you to pay charges on top of that to acquire apps which PS offers for free..? go f*ck yourself Mr. $78 billionaire Gates with your $2 avatar shirts and $5 pants. 

Have fun paying hundreds of dollars every few months just so you can keep up to date with the current hardware standards for PC games then.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Comments like that prove you're an idiot.

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

I guess you don't realize how expensive graphics cards are? They are constantly being released every few months. I'd rather pay 500 dollars for the Xbox One and not have to pay for another console several years from now.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

Just because new ones come out doesn't mean you have to buy them to play games at highest settings. Obviously after a while you do have to upgrade, but its no where near every couple of months. There's people still using the 400 series NVIDIA cards.

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Just because new ones come out doesn't mean you have to buy them to play games at highest settings. Obviously after a while you do have to upgrade, but its no where near every couple of months. There's people still using the 400 series NVIDIA cards.

Yeah... and those people have to play their favorite games with sh*tty graphics, which ruins the experience of playing your favorite games. No thanks.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

Yeah... and those people have to play their favorite games with sh*tty graphics, which ruins the experience of playing your favorite games. No thanks.

They're actually playing at about the same graphics as the Xbox 360 and PS3. Probably better in some cases.

• Failure likes this

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

I guess you don't realize how expensive graphics cards are? They are constantly being released every few months. I'd rather pay 500 dollars for the Xbox One and not have to pay for another console several years from now.

Lol you can find decent 2GB video cards for less than $100 now days, 2 gigs just for gfx alone would not need to be upgraded for a long time.. games like V are running off only 512mb and that itself achieves a lot.. and if you think $100 is a lot of money then you've got a lot to learn haha

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Lol you can find decent 2GB video cards for less than $100 now days, 2 gigs just for gfx alone would not need to be upgraded for a long time.. games like V are running off only 512mb and that itself achieves a lot.. and if you think $100 is a lot of money then you've got a lot to learn haha

He's probably ne those that thinks you need a 780 just to play on medium settings.
  • GrandMaster Smith likes this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

I still enjoy playing on consoles but GrandMaster Smith has a good point about the price of things this gen. Full $60 price for games that likely have a season pass and then a sequel in 8 months time. The PC might seem like a lot to start with, but the games are usually found cheaper.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:35 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 13 February 2014 - 07:36 PM.

Oh so now it's about the graphics? HAHAHA. And you don't know sh*t about graphic cards. You f*cking tool. Stop commenting because you are a massive idiot. You don't know anything about PC's. All you do is stick your tounge and lick the cum of Microsoft's dick.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:50 PM Edited by Fireman, 13 February 2014 - 08:08 PM.

No, no, no!

Never buy anything locally, the newest stuff they'll have is 10 years old.

Unless you're in a big city don't even go there to look, it's usually pretty horrible. Only for repairing components

i went to one in our town and they had a Big Box from 1995 as main item.

• SingularSoul likes this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Okay, some things you should know:

Motherboard:

-some gamers say good graphichs card is the most important hardware for PC gamer. Not so!

-for Motherboard is the backbone of your PC. To be able to run games fast, you need a high end motherboard that has gotten good rewiews in mags. Do not be stingy here!

Processor: get a good, new processor, because a cheap processor will slow you down no end. I mean it.

Graphics card: YOu can actually go for older model, year 2012 even. If you have a recent motherboard and good Processor, even a decent older graphics card will do, and will be a big saving in your budget.

Memory: Do not overdo it. Too much memory can actually hamper your PC. Just few sticks will do, and they need not be the latest models.

Sound: difficult. It is impossible to say how a sound card will sound without trying it on. I've had expensive brand cards that sounded crap, and cheaper that sounded very rich and bass.

Remember: good new motherboard and processor are the most important things here. You can always get better graphics card and memory sticks later. But if you mess up with motherboard and processor, you will be well and truly screwed!

• EyeMacHunt and SingularSoul like this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

No you do not need a high end board. A $70-80 one depending on the processor he picks and wether or not it's unlocked would do just fine.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

installing a high end graphics card into a cheap motherboard is about as useful as installing a V8 engine to a morris mini.

A cheap motherboard simply cannot unleash all the potential power of a high end graphichs card...

One more thing about soundcard selection: If you play with headphones, you do not actually need a sound card. Many motherboards have integrated soundcard in them, with pretty decent sound.

You only really need a sound card if you use 5.1 speaker systems or somesuch...

P.S. Never listen to the so called PC gurus, when building a gaming PC. They usually talk complete rubbish!

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

P.S. Never listen to the so called PC gurus, when building a gaming PC. They usually talk complete rubbish!

So your advice is to ignore people with experience and instead listen to people like you that show up out of nowhere and start pulling suggestions out of their ass with nothing to back them up?

Just wanted to make sure.

• Xcommunicated and Failure like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:03 AM Edited by AceKingston, 15 February 2014 - 10:03 AM.

Have fun paying hundreds of dollars every few months just so you can keep up to date with the current hardware standards for PC games then.

Only if you want to play every single game on Ultra. If you build a decent gaming PC it will last you a good 5 years or so. Of course, as time goes on you won't be able to play on Ultra but you can still play the game with decent frame rates. In the long run, PC gaming is cheaper because of steam. Physical copies are also cheaper than Console Physical copies and you don't have to pay-to-play online unlike the PS4 and the XB1.
  • PorscheRacer01 likes this

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

I would recommend asus components especially there mid to high end components. Make sure you get a full size atx mobo as anything less will always have you yurning for more space. Things not to scrimp on would be your graphics card and power supply. Graphics card you want to be aiming with today's standards at at least 900mhz cpu core or above and at least 2 gbddr5 upwards but if you can go 3 gb ddr5 then do it. Any card that doesn't have a fan on it or a dedicated power connector that you have to connect up independant of the main slot stay away from they are cheap and sh*t cards.

As for power supply this is always a hotly talked about subject. If you don't get one that has enough power then it can bottleneck your powerful graphics card"s" so personally I've got an 800 watt modular power supply as I didn't want to risk under powering any of my components. Plus it does leave room for expansion in terms of hdd's and other components like fans and higher power components that you may acquire down the line.

The other main most important thing to remember is a decent ventilated case preferably with inbuilt fans and fan Controller. If you're looking for it to last as long as possible you want to keep the components as cool as possible over there lifetime.
  • EyeMacHunt and SingularSoul like this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Only if you want to play every single game on Ultra. If you build a decent gaming PC it will last you a good 5 years or so. Of course, as time goes on you won't be able to play on Ultra but you can still play the game with decent frame rates. In the long run, PC gaming is cheaper because of steam. Physical copies are also cheaper than Console Physical copies and you don't have to pay-to-play online unlike the PS4 and the XB1.

I agree with the cheaper games on PC. Steam has excellent sales and even the standard price is cheaper than console games. But the thing you can't deny is that the PS4 is powerful and it's cheap at the same time, I'm talking about the console alone.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Of course the PS4 is well on-par with the standard gaming PC no denying that but the thing is you can't upgrade your PS4. New hardware for PC's are always coming whereas a new model of the PS4 will most likely be a slimmer version with minor differences. 

However the PS4 is only cheap in few countries. In other countries it is like $700-$1000, you can build a gaming PC for much lesser than that.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Then yes, of course you can't upgrade it. I don't know why, but that is how it is unfortunately. Yeah, PC is upgradeable and will overtake them everytime. And I think PS4 is definitely going to get a slightly slimmer version because of the patches they had to release, as well as better performance overall.

Plus it will help the PC gaming as well because it will be easier to port games as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users