» «
Photo

How to stop people from Pitting you in races

18 replies to this topic
sadpandamakeup
  • sadpandamakeup

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:32 PM Edited by sadpandamakeup, 11 February 2014 - 07:33 PM.

I was hoping someone could provide some very detailed info on how exactly you stop people from pitting you.

I've tried braking a bit, but I still get pitted anyway.  I've tried always staying in front so they can't drive around me, but they eventually get around me anyway.  It's tough to always be looking at the map to see how where his dot is to yours vs. looking at the road so you don't crash.

I've tried driving away from him to one side of the road or the other, but I've had races simply follow me over and then run me off the road.

Do I need to simply give up the lead when someone approaches me and hope I can catch up to them before the race is over?

Edit: 

1)  I would also like a tip on how to deal with this scenario:  Your starting place is at the back of the line with 5-10 other racers.  How do you maneuver to the front without running into the inevitable pile-up that happens when everyone is pitting each other?

Red Lynx 23
  • Red Lynx 23

Rooftop Sniper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Luck can play a part in winning or losing races.

sadpandamakeup
  • sadpandamakeup

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

Luck can play a part in winning or losing races.

It does.  It often plays a large part.  Still, I notice that when racing with the same people for a while, the same few people tend to win the majority of the time.  I'm hoping to learn what they know about being able to consistently avoid PIT attacks.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Do your best to not stay next to someone. Time your passes so they are swift and decisive. You know the person behind you has slipstream he will get by you at some point. Allow that pass to happen swiftly if you dont want contact. You then have the slipstream to take it back when the time is right. Most of all, expect contact. Your characters driving skill has a direct corelation to how badly your car responds to contact as well.

sadpandamakeup
  • sadpandamakeup

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Do your best to not stay next to someone. Time your passes so they are swift and decisive. You know the person behind you has slipstream he will get by you at some point. Allow that pass to happen swiftly if you dont want contact. You then have the slipstream to take it back when the time is right. Most of all, expect contact. Your characters driving skill has a direct corelation to how badly your car responds to contact as well.

I appreciate the advice.  From what you said it sounds like contact is inevitable, even if you do your best to minimize it.  Any advice on how to deal with someone who intends to pit you, regardless of whether you are trying to avoid contact with him?  Specifically regarding how much you should brake (if at all), how you should position yourself on the track in relation to him, ect.?

Blondarus
  • Blondarus

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Some great advice here.

I had one guy in a session the other night, who wasn't actually racing. He was just sending people in to spins.

Annoyed me, so I beat him to death with a baseball bat later in free roam.  :miranda:

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:33 PM Edited by Cudwieser, 11 February 2014 - 09:10 PM.

Talking personal experience you CANNOT stop an asshole. Senna was famous for it and a great racer too. Back to the OP the best ways are to be patient, tune your car to the hilt and if you have to, get nasty. starting a race, try and spot the gaps and use the turbo start always. Contrary to some philosophy, this is the safest way to start. You do have an increased risk of being baulked if you don't think ahead, but since everyone heads for the inside of a turn, you head outside and use the space. most times you will be up the field and in clearer air, possibly misplaced (unless the next turn is in your favour). This is not often a problem as a lot of racers take each other out on the first corners and coming from the outside of a turn gives you momentum and the chance to get on line without too much grief after everyone has gone off (just give space to those who haven't wiped out).

Next when you have the racing line everything is in the braking. Use it sparingly but use it often. Light braking at the right moment with a bit of trail braking can set up a legit block pass. You may still get over taken, but with the field now thinning you have a fighting chance

Now for the pitting. Stay in pitting position (door handle to door handle. The less room you give them, the harder for them to force you into a spin). Don't get ahead of the competition too much until you have the racing line and can move cleanly in front. If they are going to ram make sure they catch you square. If you are likely to spin, give them the place buy turning out and getting off the gas (and sneak a tap later). If you are approaching a turn, brake early and lightly and be on the inside of the turn if at all possible. If you know you are going to get hit, brake harder. The slower you go the less likely you are to spin and if appropriate, pit them after as they will be trying to get away, but will have less momentum than you and won't figure you to spin them. with them gone, get on with racing.

All you need to win in a lead, and an inch is as good as a mile. If you are squarely side on, they can only push, not spin and that's important. If you are side on and a nose a head, then you win. If you car is maxed then your nose will be ahead. Racing is about positioning, driving and if need be rubbing

Some races you will win, some not, but as a tip stick with the same crowd. You'll learn the liabilities who will crash at the start and who the hit men are. Quite often you will get strikers who are there to let others win. Be careful and move on. These aren't races you're going to win,ever.

Hope this helps

• Strikeslip, sadpandamakeup and MookStunna like this

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

Underboss of The S1CKMAD3 Mafia

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

one best way to avoid it is to try your hardest to pit him first . i have been succesful a few times by doing just that 

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

As you can see...everyone has their own version of what works. Who really knows what is right. I try to never be side by side with anyone. Groups going into corners are accidents waiting to happen...I tend to brake hard, brace for anyone who doesnt know what brakes are and then when the cluster goes hard into the corner and across to the far wall all tangled up, I dive through behind them with full speed and often a touch of slipstream coming out on the inside. I have gone from last to first with this method often on Downtown Underground. First corners are crash heaven...isolate yourself by any means necessary.

If you have someone behind you within slipstream range it is virtually impossible to keep them behind you long term without contact. Use your rearview to see where they are coming from and practice taking a hit.
  • sadpandamakeup likes this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I'm going to suggest an alternative to the rear view (waste of time imho) and use your ears to hear for the engine behind. 

Rezard
  • Rezard

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

Sometimes, if you can kinda see it coming especially, anticipating being pitted and using reverse can foil their plan a bit.  I've managed to keep myself in front of the car that pit me so he couldn't make a clean break.  Even managed to come out ahead from that a few times.

You go from last to first from the start using the turbo start, and reacting fast to other cars in front of you who don't.  You do know how to turbo start right?  I rarely see anybody do it right.

Also--  if you're at the back of a pack, patience and timing will bring you to the front.  Just keep control of your car, and a distance youself as much as you need to react.  I love overtaking the whole pack of 15 on Dipping In.

If "Catchup" is on, or came on mid-race, then letting someone ride in 1st til just before the finish can be the best tactic.  Slipstreaming is pretty unreliable, I find, so just don't plan on it if you can help it.

gta4thewin
  • gta4thewin

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

My tip for racing in general is that you use the brakes. Brake in time, not too much but still use the brakes. 

In your scenario OP, you have to keep practicing and finding your own techniques for winning races. I'm not expert, but I try to be a clean racer and just go as fast as possible, without crashing.

If someone gets pass you keep staying behind them to take advantage of the slip stream and choose when to attack and take the lead from them.

Many drivers tend to drive to fast and don't use their brakes = crash.

A heavy car could help if you race with guys trying to push you of track.

Good luck in winning them races! ;)

Foppez„o
  • Foppez„o

Street Cat

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:18 PM Edited by Foppez„o, 11 February 2014 - 10:59 PM.

Like others said, if it's busy, take the inside curve, most crashes happen on the outside.Something with centrifugal force.Take the first corner calmly, on the inside.Use brakes to get grip after a jump, Dipping in for instance, if you brake and take the first (jump)corner prudently, you are likely heading first.
From my experience, if you reach about top speed, and someone is ramming you, the effect of the crash usually bounces back to him, making him spin, cause you are going like a rocket.If you're going slower, time his moment of ramming and brake, he will fly right into the guardrail, or worse :D
Oh, and use the turbostart, hit gas (half) second after go flashes

Foppez„o
  • Foppez„o

Street Cat

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:26 PM Edited by Foppez„o, 11 February 2014 - 10:49 PM.

Edit ;)

gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Misleading title got my hopes up :cry:

Soulrise
  • Soulrise

Original Guerrilla

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Racing is one of my weaker aspects of the game and pitting has a lot to do with it.  I'll definitely be trying out some of the advice that was posted here, thanks to those who shared!

MrCamo
  • MrCamo

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

Swing wide on corners and don't be afraid to lose a position in your terms to keep from crashing out.

gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

Always pit chrome cars first. Thank me later.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Krakus posted some good tips in the [GTAO] Racing Tips & tricks thread

Here's some tips I posted in another thread, Enjoy these are some of my best ones.

PIT Maneuver defense tactics:

Brake. It's simple, just hit the brake when you see one coming. Yes you'll lose ground however you'll lose less than if you let yourself get hit. One of two things will happen, he'll collide into you but won't spin you out, this might cause him to spin himself out however, or he'll go right past you into a wall/river/whatever is on the other side of you. When that happens I won't lie it's pretty epic. It's really tough though to get it into your mind to brake when this happens. A little training and you'll be laughing at the PIT maneuver.

Cornering:

It goes without saying but learning to corner properly makes a huge difference in this game. This is common knowledge to most but I'm listing it here because it's so damn important. I catch up to almost everyone all the time because of the way I corner turns. another cornering tip is watch the arrows that point you in the right direction during a race. 1 arrow means keep the pedal to the metal, 2 arrows means you should slow down slightly while 3 arrows is almost always a hair pin turn and you should slow down drastically before reaching the turn. Another cornering tip is brake before turning. This seems slower at first and if you're neck and neck with another racer you'll see him fly past you towards the corner. It might be temping not to do this cause it looks like you're losing your lead however go through the whole thing properly and you'll exit that corner faster than he will, if he makes it at all. Just need some patience and a little practice.

Slip Streaming:

It's uses are obvious but if you're a destruction derby type, try NOT hitting everyone you pass. This will result in higher speeds for your vehicle becasue every scrape slows you down, even if you manage to pass your opponent. Use the braking method to avoid being pit maneuvered by the person you're passing or use a feint when passing. (that is pass to one side, then quickly switch to the other when you see your opponents car move to block you.

Going fast:

Obviously the gas button makes you go, but beyond that, what tips can you use to go faster? Here's a few. Don't turn, yeah I know you have to for corners but between corners try touching the thumb stick the LEAST ammount that you can. The quicker your point your cars nose to it's next turn and the quicker your finger comes off the thumb stick the faster you'll go and the longer you'll keep that speed. Say you're slip streaming someone and you make a clean pass and you're racing the sewers. Once you pass them you have a looong straight to go, keep that extra speed you gained from slip streaming by not touching the analogue stick. If you do, you'll slow down to your cars normal max speed and lose any slip streaming speed you gained after passing the car that should now be behind you.

Unusual paths to take:

Practice taking unusual paths, like the very fist jump on the sewers map most people slow down so they don't miss the arch tunnel that comes up right after the jump. Instead practice taking the jump at full speed an aim for the slanted side wall. You'l still hit the checkpoint but when you get to the slanted U turn you'll be higher on the wall and at a better angle making the turn faster and easier. Plus you're unlikely to get rammed from behind because you didn't slow down, and it's unlikely anyone will follow you... At least not intentionally.

Learn when to ram people:

Yeah I don't like doing it but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like if you're 50 feet from the finish and you're going to lose to someone who's been slip streaming behind you intentionally not passing you to wait for this moment. Screw that guy, take him out or preferably block him if you can. The last 100 yards or so to the finishline is a no holds bar event, get used to it, also braking to avoid a PIT maneuver at this stage in the race isn't advisable.

Boosting off the start:

Don't hit the gas until you see green/go. Simple.

• NorthernHawk and sadpandamakeup like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users