» «
Photo

GTA IV constant texture loss and FPS drop on decent CPU

3 replies to this topic
zackh1234
  • zackh1234

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:21 PM Edited by zackh1234, 10 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Hey guys,

The problems I have include texture loss occurring more often and FPS drop when I come close to another Police/EMS Vehicle. 

I have a gaming laptop that I bought just a few months ago. Specs listed below.

Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB) 

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB

Memory: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

Hard Drive: TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD

My Resource Usage is always 302 / 2048. I cannot get it to use more memory which I feel like is needed to let the game run better.

**** Is there a command line that will make this game use more of Resource Usage that will then help my game perform better? ****

The command lines I use are...

-fullspecaudio -nomemrestrict -norestrictions

My current GTA settings are...

Video Mode: 1920x1080

Aspect Ratio: Auto

Texture Quality: LOW  ***(For a brand new computer with a decent graphics card, I feel like this is too low?)

Reflection Resolution: LOW

Water Quality: LOW

Shadow Quality: OFF 

Night Shadows: OFF

Texture Filter Quality: Tri-Linear

View Distance: 40

Detail Distance: 40

Vehicle Density: 25

My question is, with a brand new gaming laptop with a decent graphics card, I only can run this game on low with still getting texture loss and FPS drop when approaching other police vehicles. 

**** Is there a command line that will make this game use more of Resource Usage that will then help my game perform better? ****

**** Also, is it a problem that I updated my game to 1.0.7? ****

This FPS drop is killing me. Is there anyone with a similar setup that can share their command line / what they do?

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:14 AM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 12 February 2014 - 05:22 AM.

What do you mean texture loss? Like textures are just disappearing altogether?

I will assume you aren't using any texture mods or custom car packs? If you're just running the vanilla version at those settings, what is the average fps you are getting?

To get a really good measure of how the game is using your laptop's resources, get EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and set up the OSD (on-screen display) in the settings(Monitor tab) to show GPU clock, Memory clock, GPU temperature, GPU usage, Memory usage, and Framerate. Also download HWiNFO64 (portable) and this. It's a configuration setting for HWiNFO that I set up so I can monitor my CPU's speed, temperature, and usage. Just copy it to wherever you extracted HWiNFO.

Now with those 2 things installed, you'll be able to see your GPU and CPU usage in the game. Monitor them, and take screenshots or write down what happens during the places where you suffer the FPS drops.

Also a command line that I used all the time is:

-refreshrate 29

-framelimit 1

This will cap the FPS to 30. For some reason it always caps it 1 number above what you set it to, so set it to 29 for 30.

See if this helps. 

VizCount
  • VizCount

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Sup Zack,

Just curious if you have tried the -availablevidmem "X" command?

eg.. -availablevidmem 2.0 (This works for me, I achieve 4005 MB in resourse usage)

If not...try this:

X=1.1

X=1.2

X=1.3

etc, etc...

Also..you might want to try these other commands:

-percentvidmem 100
-noprecache
-reservedApp 0
-reserve 0

Cheers,

BhaskarChetia
  • BhaskarChetia

Tuner X

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Do the following. Go to the folder where you installed gta4 or eflc. E.g. C/programfiles /rockstargames/gta4. Then right click on "launchgta4.exe" then "send to" then "deskstop (create shortcut)". A shortcut will be created in your desktop. Right click in your shortcut. You will see a line "target". E.g. Target -"C/programfiles/rockstargames /gta4". Add 3 commands after this. E.g. Target - "C/programfiles /rockstargames/gta4" -norestrictions -nomemrestrictions -availablevidmem 70 or 30 That is it.
The target is in properties of the shortcut

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users