I know there are a lot of you out there annoyed by the way slipstream works right now. Please, help improving the racing experience in this game by sending this (or something similar with your own words and opinions if you disagree with some parts) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Takes 2 minutes. Let´s make them know there are a lot of us wanting this thing changed.
I understand why this feature has been included in the game, but it needs a revamp. It is extremelly overpowered and ruins the best races, the ones you have against clean and similary skilled racers.
These races become a mockery instead of being the best ones. If the circuit has lots of straights you swap the lead constantly and the last to use the slipstream wins. If the circuit is technical and full of corners, the guy behind has to cope with slipstream being activated, which in this game is like having the throttle stuck open (car won´t slow, it´ll keep accelerating even if you´re off the throttle).
How can you improve the situation? There are two possible ways:
1) This is the easy fix: Giving us an on/off switch in the race lobby, just like with the catch-up feature. Doesn´t need any further explanation.
2) This is the hard but best possible fix: Tweaking the way slipstream works to make it enjoyable instead of annoying. What needs changing?
- Speed at which it engages: slipstream should only activate at high speed. Why? The reduction of the aerodynamic drag is only noticeable when cars travel at high speed, and also like this you don´t harm the driver following having to cope with it through corners at lower speeds.
- Range: Slipstream should only come into play when you´re less than 2 car lenghts behind another car at high speed. It´s nonsense making up ground on the guy ahead from more than a second behind.
- Ammount of extra speed: a perfect slipstream (very close to car ahead and cars doing near top speed) can give you extra 5-7 km/h on a vehicle with the same power. In the game it gives like 20 km/h and you pass your rival as if he was stopped. The effect is so intense that you can afford to get off the power intermitently and still do the same speed than the guy ahead at full power!
Please, do something about this. Racing is one of the game´s main activities and you could make it SO much better by making these simple changes!!
Thanks for reading.