» «
Photo

Fellow racers, letīs take action.

162 replies to this topic
FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:25 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 08 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

I know there are a lot of you out there annoyed by the way slipstream works right now. Please, help improving the racing experience in this game by sending this (or something similar with your own words and opinions if you disagree with some parts) to [email protected]

Takes 2 minutes. Let´s make them know there are a lot of us wanting this thing changed.

I understand why this feature has been included in the game, but it needs a revamp. It is extremelly overpowered and ruins the best races, the ones you have against clean and similary skilled racers.

These races become a mockery instead of being the best ones. If the circuit has lots of straights you swap the lead constantly and the last to use the slipstream wins. If the circuit is technical and full of corners, the guy behind has to cope with slipstream being activated, which in this game is like having the throttle stuck open (car won´t slow, it´ll keep accelerating even if you´re off the throttle).

How can you improve the situation? There are two possible ways:

1) This is the easy fix: Giving us an on/off switch in the race lobby, just like with the catch-up feature. Doesn´t need any further explanation.

2) This is the hard but best possible fix: Tweaking the way slipstream works to make it enjoyable instead of annoying. What needs changing?

- Speed at which it engages: slipstream should only activate at high speed. Why? The reduction of the aerodynamic drag is only noticeable when cars travel at high speed, and also like this you don´t harm the driver following having to cope with it through corners at lower speeds.
- Range: Slipstream should only come into play when you´re less than 2 car lenghts behind another car at high speed. It´s nonsense making up ground on the guy ahead from more than a second behind.
- Ammount of extra speed: a perfect slipstream (very close to car ahead and cars doing near top speed) can give you extra 5-7 km/h on a vehicle with the same power. In the game it gives like 20 km/h and you pass your rival as if he was stopped. The effect is so intense that you can afford to get off the power intermitently and still do the same speed than the guy ahead at full power!

Please, do something about this. Racing is one of the game´s main activities and you could make it SO much better by making these simple changes!!

Thanks for reading.
  • Ballistic Jello, Vooodu, SCS_Skreamies and 4 others like this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

I AM LOS SANTOS'S RECKONING

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

slipstream does not affect me because I am faster than you.

• esato, EarthboundMysfit, Crafty- and 2 others like this

Muirenn
  • Muirenn

Homegrill

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

I love action.

Hanshot 420th
  • Hanshot 420th

Thug

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

I like Slipstream.

Sure it's not 100% perfect, or accurately implemented in this game, but I like to race with catch up off, so SLipstream is one of the only tools you can use if you get too far behind to catch up...and perfectly timing a pass is fun.

• kingcool52, HBSanta, Malibu454 and 2 others like this

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

I like Slipstream.

Sure it's not 100% perfect, or accurately implemented in this game, but I like to race with catch up off, so SLipstream is one of the only tools you can use if you get too far behind to catch up...and perfectly timing a pass is fun.

Ditto ^^

KimberJane
  • KimberJane

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

I like Slipstream.

Ditto ^^

I ditto that ditto ^^

• Cokecan72 likes this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:41 PM Edited by Vooodu, 08 February 2014 - 03:42 PM.

Ya...I totally agree with you.

Anyone who actually loves slip stream as it is probably only races straight tracks

Im gonna copy and paste that and send it R*.  But i doubt it will matter.

If it was up to me id remove slip stream all together if it can't be fixed.  Although i love racing, im tried of fighting slip stream when im at slow speeds taking corners.  

Accendo
  • Accendo

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to utilize it properly and it doesn't need to be on a straight track. At least if you pay attention to the road instead of how fast you are in relation to your opponent.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

but I like to race with catch up off, so SLipstream is one of the only tools you can use if you get too far behind to catch up

You´re supposed to do that driving faster than the guy ahead, not using a silly gimmick.

• PaulDPearl likes this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to utilize it properly and it doesn't need to be on a straight track. At least if you pay attention to the road instead of how fast you are in relation to your opponent.

Paying attention means 'jack sh*t' when you get a slip stream from someone around the corner that sends you sliding off the road.

• PaulDPearl likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

And bring back the GTA IV driving. So we can have some REAL COMPETITIVE racing.
  • FasterThanYou likes this

Accendo
  • Accendo

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Paying attention means 'jack sh*t' when you get a slip stream from someone around the corner that sends you sliding off the road.
Use the brake, young grasshopper.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:06 PM Edited by Vooodu, 08 February 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Use the brake, young grasshopper.

Brakes don't matter when is to late.

If i come into a turn at my cars traction threshold, and at last possible second... And then i get a slip stream from someone around the corner.  Brakes won't work...

I don't want to wrestle with slip stream when taking corners.. Just you telling me to slow down even more, when its not possible... just proves how broken it is.

I mean seirously,, I need to slow down even more when braking?  What?

Nothing like getting slip stream when cars are going around the corners, driving slow and using their brakes.. But when im behind the same car at full speeed it seems to never want to kick in..lol

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

The physics in slip stream seems to work fine to me. If you dont want the effect get out of the draft. 

• Cokecan72 likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

So what you want is for the races to be decided by who are the last to spin out the people in front?

• paulmgrath likes this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

The physics in slip stream seems to work fine to me. If you dont want the effect get out of the draft. 

Maybe you should race more then.. :D

Slip has never worked fine.  Unless in your front..

Accendo
  • Accendo

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Utilized properly, the slipstream can actually improve your cornering. Learn to plan your passes instead of simply dogging the guy in front of you. Then this wouldn't even be an issue for you.
Imo, after over 160 races, I'm just getting the hang of using the race dynamics in this game to my advantage but I've found that tactics in a race put you in first 90% of the time.
My record has only recently levelled out to about 86-90. It used to be worse but now I win 8/10 races in first.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

So what you want is for the races to be decided by who are the last to spin out the people in front?

No... The 1st person to cross the finish line should decide the race..

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

So why are people complaining about slipstreaming then?

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:21 PM Edited by Vooodu, 08 February 2014 - 04:22 PM.

Utilized properly, the slipstream can actually improve your cornering. Learn to plan your passes instead of simply dogging the guy in front of you. Then this wouldn't even be an issue for you.
Imo, after over 160 races, I'm just getting the hang of using the race dynamics in this game to my advantage but I've found that tactics in a race put you in first 90% of the time.
My record has only recently levelled out to about 86-90. It used to be worse but now I win 8/10 races in first.

Dude,.. i have more wins then you have have in total over all races,

I've raced well over 2000 races,,  

And when i race with actual good racers.. Like the ones in my crew, its already hard enough to win because any mistake means you won't get 1st... I make my own mistakes too.  But  with slip stream causing my wipes, thats a whole other issue.

Did you read the 1st post?   :D

Hanshot 420th
  • Hanshot 420th

Thug

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

And when i race with actual good racers.. Like the ones in my crew its, already hard enough to win because any mistake means you won't get 1st... I make my own mistakes too.  But  with slip stream causing my wipes, thats a whole other issue.

OK we get it, you're an opinionated Badass racer... It just seems like others don't have the same Badass racer problems you seem to be having.

• MilezDawg likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Yep, but if people doing PIT to spin out competitors isn't a problem for you, I don't see how slipstream is.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:27 PM Edited by Vooodu, 08 February 2014 - 04:28 PM.

And when i race with actual good racers.. Like the ones in my crew its, already hard enough to win because any mistake means you won't get 1st... I make my own mistakes too.  But  with slip stream causing my wipes, thats a whole other issue.

OK we get it, you're an opinionated Badass racer... It just seems like others don't have the same Badass racer problems you seem to be having.

Considering most players race straight tracks like the commute with catch up and slip stream on while ramming everyone,i doubt they would understand. :D

Yep, but if people doing PIT to spin out competitors isn't a problem for you, I don't see how slipstream is.

What does that have to with slip stream not functioning correctly?

Which, if you read the OP is what this is about.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Slipstream: On a straight, people can temporarily get ahead of their competitors by using the slipstream

PIT: At any point in the race, people can get ahead of their competitors by making them spin out.

Pardew's Prostate
  • Pardew's Prostate

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:31 PM Edited by Pardew's Prostate, 08 February 2014 - 04:32 PM.

If people stopped voting for The Commute, jumps jumps jumps etc and started voting for races like Dipping in, Quick n quarrelsome, Grand tour, Laguna seca & Monaco to name a few you would feel that it makes for great racing as its only effective at certain points and not the entire race.  If you're good enough you will be there or there abouts at the front especially if you race clean.

Stop moaning about a problem that doesn't even matter and get good. ie learn to release the throttle and apply the brake from time to time. 

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Slipstream: On a straight, people can temporarily get ahead of their competitors by using the slipstream

PIT: At any point in the race, people can get ahead of their competitors by making them spin out.

I know what a pit is....Seriously.   

That has nothing to do with slip stream kicking in at corners while races are slowing down or slip stream not working  the correct way.

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Why would I race more? You seem to be the only one having a problem dude, keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it 

Zorvaine
  • Zorvaine

Honor Among Thieves.

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

OP, add the action to remove Reveal Players in Deathmatches and Capture modes too, they're destroying them. It's a more serious issue which needs to be adressed.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:37 PM Edited by Vooodu, 08 February 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Why would I race more? You seem to be the only one having a problem dude, keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it 

I only have a problem when racing 'clean'.. Because i have to wrestle with slip stream to avoid wipes and crashing into players.  I could just just ram them off the road. Which solves my slip stream problem right?  But thats not how i want to race when racing with friends or my racing crew.

Maybe you should race more.. Because you would make more sense if you knew what you where talking about..lol

You get the players with barely 100 races.. 90% of them are straight tracks with catch up on in public races... And they think slip stream works great.  Well i guess it does work great if you think going from last to 1st in seconds is awesome... 

Accendo
  • Accendo

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:05 PM Edited by Accendo, 08 February 2014 - 05:07 PM.

"I've raced so many times!"
That doesn't mean you don't still suck. I exclusively race mountain tracks and don't have the same massive issues that you do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users