3ds Max - Mapping Question

20 replies to this topic
XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

Big SA fan with the head full of ideas.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

After I've started to make total conversion for San Andreas, now I have dilemma: 

While making a terrain, it is recommended to create plane with 200x200 units and to put the made models progressivly into game. 

But this Russian tutorial:

http://gtamaps.net/f...showtopic=14010

suggests to make a full plane by 6000x6000 units (the full map dimensions for San Andreas).

Would it be better (or easier) to make the full 6000x6000 plane and put heightmaps onto it, then slicing the plane for 200x200 smaller planes? Or should I just make small 200x200 planes?

Thanks in advance.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

R.I.P.ingPang

• Feroci
  • None
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Your choice, but it's easier to make large and slice up into smaller after. :)

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

That's what I wanted to hear, thank you very much ;)

Evilscarecrow
  • Evilscarecrow

Also known as Mc-Kay

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Using such a large model 6000x6000 can get messy when moving faces / polys around to recreate the shape your after.

Start small 50x50 units for buildings, 100x100 units for larger objects like land pieces.

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Using such a large model 6000x6000 can get messy when moving faces / polys around to recreate the shape your after.

Start small 50x50 units for buildings, 100x100 units for larger objects like land pieces.

Yes, what I wanted to do is to make large model and later split it up into smaller land pieces.

I have really exact plan of how the map would look like - 36 km2 is perfectly fitting into my homeplace, which I would like to recreate in GTA.

But when I'll be making a terrain by continuous creating little planes, I would have to join every terrain disturbance (hills, valleys) to each other. Not sure if you know what I mean...

nWo51289
  • nWo51289

Outcast

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I personally (ages ago though) thought it was easier to start large and later split the map up into smaller pieces. At the end of the day one of the most important things is planning, plan ahead and it won't get messy. Would love to see screens of your progress. Good luck! 

• Frank.s likes this

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Thank you, nWo, I really appreciate that someone's wishing me luck in my project.

I don't think there's a point in creating a WIP topic, because I don't have very much time for creating the map, now I'm just completing my knowledge about knowing and thinking what should I avoid not to make mistakes.

Hovewer, since the map in GTA has 36 km2, I've measured the surface of the place I would like to put on map (it's a small village in Poland):

http://postimg.org/image/7p9pw7jwf/

And I know that if I'll be making terrain for the map by creating small pieces, in result I would get innacurate hills etc. joined to the other parts of terrain.

If I only find more time, I'll spend more time for creating the map, and if there's any progress, I might create WIP thread. 

:)

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Xenon Brothers)

• Feroci
  • Mars
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:15 PM Edited by X-Seti, 28 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Thank you, nWo, I really appreciate that someone's wishing me luck in my project.

I don't think there's a point in creating a WIP topic, because I don't have very much time for creating the map, now I'm just completing my knowledge about knowing and thinking what should I avoid not to make mistakes.

Hovewer, since the map in GTA has 36 km2, I've measured the surface of the place I would like to put on map (it's a small village in Poland):

And I know that if I'll be making terrain for the map by creating small pieces, in result I would get innacurate hills etc. joined to the other parts of terrain.

If I only find more time, I'll spend more time for creating the map, and if there's any progress, I might create WIP thread. 

:)

Keep it small m8.

There are not many tools I know of that could cut the map up for you plus the issues with Kams scripts (I will not go into- I'm tired about banging on about this)

Starting small will allow you to test each model, Do it big and cutting it up, Kams map-io can not keep track of each models pivot once cut. so export the dff and reload each model dff into 3dmax one by one to fix the model pivot issue first and only then export the dff and the col as 3ds that can be placed into Steve M's COL Editor 2 otherwise getting models into game will become very hard.

Getting the textures, You can use Steve M's RWA to get the texture list. this can be placed into TXD builder to make the TXD file and TXD workshop to compress them with the correct RW version. GTAIII, VC or SA.

Always make notes or add the data into the IDE file for each model as you go.

Your find this way better as there will be less bugs to fix as you progress. Good luck m8, we are here to help if you run into any issues.

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks.

I will check out both options.

Yet, I only want to make sure - about units in GTA: SA. Since the full map is 36 km2, then, after checking the map plan I would like to put in my mod:

This picture is the 36 km2 section of my village. 

Does that mean that 1 meter unit in real world is 1 meter in GTA: SA and this map plan would exactly fit into my mod?

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Xenon Brothers)

• Feroci
  • Mars
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

The distance units in the GTA are standardized and based accurately on one meter. Therefore, one unit in GTA III, GTA Vice City or GTA San Andreas equals one meter.

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for info ;)
Now that I know that the in-game map will be in scale 1:1 with the real-world map, I have 2 questions:

1. Google Sketchup has an option to export terrain mesh of any location, by using an option Add Location (select the part of the location and using the layer Google Earth Terrain). 

If I exported terrain mesh from Sketchup and then edited it in 3ds Max for importing it into game, would I get the same result if I worked on heightmaps or Deformation Tool? 

2. If worse comes to worst, can I use Cityscape program for creating terrain models? I know that modellers use that tool for GTA IV mapping, but I haven't heard that anybody did that with San Andreas.

ghosper
  • ghosper

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I could not sugest you to make a such a big landscape couse SA world is limited to 3000x3000.I've tried many times handling those limits but no chance.

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:48 PM Edited by XaviHernandez, 08 March 2014 - 07:48 PM.

I could not sugest you to make a such a big landscape couse SA world is limited to 3000x3000.I've tried many times handling those limits but no chance.

Really? 
But basing on this post X-Seti posted on http://gtaforums.com...-max-map-size/:

SA has a ID limit of 19999 usable objects and this can not be hacked and you cant really map outside the 6000x6000 boundaries without some game weird glitches with model rendering.

I see that limit is bigger than you've said...

Unless I'm wrong...  

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Bump. Anyone knows the answer?

nWo51289
  • nWo51289

Outcast

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

ghosper is correct, the map boundaries for SA is 3000x3000. People get a bit confused with it, when they say 6000x6000 they actually mean 6000².

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Well, somewhere I heard that 3000; 3000 are actually game's coordinates. Plus, heard that I can keep mapping until I reach 6000x6000 boundaries, because if I exceed those boundaries I will get glitches of bad model displaying in game. 

Right or not?

nWo51289
  • nWo51289

Outcast

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

3000x3000 is the max coordinates, you can place any object inside the 'box' but anything above 3000 the models will not display correctly if you decide to extend the boundaries using Sacky's Limit Adjuster.

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:13 PM Edited by XaviHernandez, 16 March 2014 - 12:14 PM.

OK then, thanks for tip.

Yet I still don't know the answers for questions I've asked earlier...

1. Google Sketchup has an option to export terrain mesh of any location, by using an option Add Location (select the part of the location and using the layer Google Earth Terrain). 

If I exported terrain mesh from Sketchup and then edited it in 3ds Max for importing it into game, would I get the same result if I worked on heightmaps or Deformation Tool? 

2. If worse comes to worst, can I use Cityscape program for creating terrain models? I know that modellers use that tool for GTA IV mapping, but I haven't heard that anybody did that with San Andreas.

Sorry for my continuous questions, I know it might irritate you :p
Just asking because if I now the answer I might be a few steps further to create my mod.

nWo51289
  • nWo51289

Outcast

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

I don't use Google Sketchup so I can't really give a answer to that. Would have thought it would give you the same result, again if your comfortable with it then I would stick with what you know already. Don't see why you can't use Cityscape for creating models for SA, with SA you have to be careful with the amount of polys a model can have. With IV I don't think they have to worry too much about that.

XaviHernandez
  • XaviHernandez

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:09 PM Edited by XaviHernandez, 18 March 2014 - 06:09 PM.

OK. 

I've created a bit of landscape using Sketchup by downloading terrain from Google Earth, later I'll try to slice it into smaller parts, then put it ingame to check if it won't generate errors:

http://postimg.org/image/w0q87sdsj/

http://postimg.org/image/ouff5d4mn/

Please don't lock this topic, because if there's someone who wants to get some tips about mapping, he will find the answers here. Besides, if I will have another questions that bother me, I will ask here.
Thank you all for help.

zmudziak32
  • zmudziak32

Homeboy

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hi, I have a problem with GTA III on SA converted by myself. In game objects are invisible, but in Med is fine. I used III map from GTA LC mod.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users