Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA IV vs GTA V

228 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA IV vs GTA V (280 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay

1. IV (75 votes [26.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

2. V (205 votes [73.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.21%

Story/Characters

1. IV (230 votes [82.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.14%

2. V (50 votes [17.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Place

1. IV (128 votes [45.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.71%

2. V (152 votes [54.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:09 AM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 09 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

I could say I agree with you, SOL, but your signature makes me hate saying that.

Anyhoe, V has less filler missions. The only one I can think of is Hang Ten but the awesome cutscenes in that mission makes up for that. The others are all varied. 

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:11 AM Edited by The Odyssey, 09 February 2014 - 11:12 AM.

there were no boring filler missions (say what you want about the heist preparation mission but they take so little time, unlike some of the horrible filler missions from the bast such as Life's a Beach (or as I like to call it, Life's a B*tch) from GTA San Andreas or First Date from GTA IV)).

I can't say I agree. What about "Hang Ten"? The only thing you do in that mission is drive from Floyd's apartment to the strip club. That's it.

"Did Somebody Say Yoga?" IMO is massively overrated. Everyone would hate this mission if it wasn't for Michael's epiphany. The yoga session can't even be skipped unlike the bowling game in "First Date".

I think the fairest thing would be to say GTA V has less filler missions. Saying it has none at all is a bit of an overstatement. It's no innocent angel as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't call it fair to list Hang Ten as an example. V had only one of those types of missions, IV had

-The Cousins Bellic

-Romans Sorrow

-Mr. And Mrs. Bellic

-Three's A Crowd

-Logging On

And more I'm probably forgetting. 

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Yes, but he's saying GTA V doesn't have any filler missions.

I'm aware GTA IV has plenty, but I don't agree GTA V doesn't have any at all. Which is the point I'm trying to make.

Just curious though how are Mr & Mrs Bellic and Roman's Sorrow "filler"? Plot wise these are two defining moments in GTA IV's story.
  • simonp92, Th3MaN1 and matajuegos01 like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm aware GTA IV has plenty, but I don't agree GTA V doesn't have any at all. Which is the point I'm trying to make.
Just curious though how are Mr & Mrs Bellic and Roman's Sorrow "filler"? Plot wise these are two defining moments in GTA IV's story.

I didn't mean they were filler, but I can see why you thought that's what I meant.

I meant that they were boring "drive here" missions. I guess the cutscenes and dialogue don't make them as boring, but the same could go for Hang Ten.

Also, I wouldn't call Hang Ten filler. It's the point in the story where Floyd dies and Trevot gets a new safe house.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

When I said that there were no filler missions, I meant there were barley any, it was a figure of speech. Since nearly every mission in GTA V is memorable, it is easy to overlook the few filler missions when compared to GTA IV which very little variety in the missions.

Also Hang Ten is not filler if Mr & Mrs Belic and Roman's Sorrow aren't, a better example of a filler mission that does absolute nothing for the game would be First Date.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

I was a bit disappointed with the missions in V the best one was the first heist and I liked the first missions with lamar, I didn't like the rest of the FIB stuff though.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Technically "First Date" could be considered an important point of the story.

Michelle is assigned to keep watch on Niko's activities and a lot of aspects (such as Niko working for UL Paper) can be traced back to the fact Niko started dating her in this mission.

Maybe I'm looking into it too deep, but if it wasn't for this mission there would be a few story elements missing.

It's not as useless as some people think. I think a better example would be "Easy Fare " as it in no way advances IV's plot.

Anyway if anyone's interested as to why I voted for GTA V for its gameplay instead of GTA IV it all comes down to car customising which is something I've always been critical of not being in GTA IV.

Had this of been included in GTA IV it would be a perfect 3/3 in this poll for me as that's really the only thing I feel puts GTA V slightly ahead. Other than that I pretty much every aspect of GTA IV's gameplay from the physics as they seem to be more Saints Row like in GTA V to the side missions.

It's just this one little blemish.
  • simonp92 and matajuegos01 like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Gameplay: I would say GTA V gets this one but only just. I have previously said that things like driving in GTA V felt more fun than they did in GTA IV plus we get to fly planes and parachute which we couldn't do in GTA IV.

Characters/Story: GTA IV hands down. Although I do like the protags and some of the other characters in GTA V at times they felt a bit to wacky and cartoonish for my liking. In GTA IV the characters really gave realism to the game. As for story, again it goes to GTA IV, no question. I liked how we got to discover the city with Niko an how we could see him settle into the city but also be troubled by his past, again the storyline felt more real that it did in GTA V.

Setting: I'd choose GTA V over GTA IV. Im not one of those people that moan about how grey and bland Liberty City was as it fit the story perfect and how I imagine real life New York to be. However I like the sunny setting, the fact that we dont always have to play in a city setting in GTA V, so thats why it gets my vote over GTA IV.

Overall: If I did have to score the games I would give GTA IV a 9.6 out of 10. And GTA V a 9.4 out of 10. Both great games but GTA IV just steals it for me mainly because of the storyline and characters.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Gameplay: V for sure. I like IV, but a lot of the missions felt repetitive. IV's missions aren't bad, but a lot of them are on the short side. Also, there wasn't much use of boats or helicopters in IV, not to mention the lack of planes.

Story: IV, hands down. No explanation needed.

Characters: I'm going to give the edge to IV here. The only characters I like in V are Michael, Franklin, Trevor, Wade and Ron. Lamar is alright, but he gets on my nerves sometimes. IV has more characters I like: Niko, Roman (I didn't like him at first, but he kind of grew on me), Jacob, Packie, Kate, Elizabeta, Badman (he should have been a friend option for Niko). Also, IV's villains are far better and more intimidating. Dimitri, Pegorino and Bulgarin > Devin and Steve.

Place: I like both, but I slightly prefer V's locations, as they're more varied.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Gameplay- V(5).

Story/Characters- IV(4).

Place- Tie I can't choose.

BMW Sterling
  • BMW Sterling

(_o_Y_o_)

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

Honestly I think that the robbing banks theme should've been set in Liberty City and Niko's story set in Los Santos.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Honestly I think that the robbing banks theme should've been set in Liberty City and Niko's story set in Los Santos.

I think the whole stock market system would've fitted LC better (with an appropriate economy to match of course), but I think Niko's story would've been way out of place in the bright and sunny LS.

It had to be told in the dark and dreary LC during winter/autumn IMO.

• SonofYankton and fefenc like this

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:23 PM Edited by peluche503, 14 February 2014 - 01:59 AM.

To be honest I like both of these games are really fun, but GTA SA just beats both, but enough of this, let's get to it.

Gameplay: GTA V. GTA IV missions were anything but fun and unique, they were also all repetitive with the same go kill someone and mission over. However, there were a few exception in missions. GTA V in the other hand for the most part had fantastic missions. As for the side missions GTA V also beats GTA IV because there is more variety, the only good side missions in GTA IV were the most wanted, the fixer, and the drug missions, the rest were either repetitive or just rehashes.

Characters: GTA IV Self Explanatory.

Place: LC was a very good setting, but Alderney was just lackluster, seriously, nothing about this place felt like New Jersey, it just feels like it is a filler section to expand LC. Los Santos was a very good place with different environments which give a lot of diversity to the map compare to the atmosphere of the LC which is just a city and nothing else that is really unique about it. But if it was LC Vs. LS, LC would definitely win.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I've noticed the debate about the freedom given in missions. While I agree that IV gave a lot more freedom when it came to missions (completed "Deconstruction for beginners" using a car, drive-by all the way, YOLO and sh*t), but V also gave us some freedom in specific missions involving more than 1 main character. The problem with V is that the freedom was "artificial". You could either use Michael to shoot down the choppers in the sky, or use Trevor to evade incoming missiles. The 2 tasks greatly differ between each other, but both of these were scripted. This maybe wasn't the best example, but the point I'm trying to make is that V does offer freedom, but even the freedom you're offered is scripted. That kinda sucks IMHO.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:51 PM Edited by peluche503, 13 February 2014 - 08:28 PM.

I've noticed the debate about the freedom given in missions. While I agree that IV gave a lot more freedom when it came to missions (completed "Deconstruction for beginners" using a car, drive-by all the way, YOLO and sh*t), but V also gave us some freedom in specific missions involving more than 1 main character. The problem with V is that the freedom was "artificial". You could either use Michael to shoot down the choppers in the sky, or use Trevor to evade incoming missiles. The 2 tasks greatly differ between each other, but both of these were scripted. This maybe wasn't the best example, but the point I'm trying to make is that V does offer freedom, but even the freedom you're offered is scripted. That kinda sucks IMHO.

Well my friend I got something to tell you, There isn't a wide variety of freedom in gta 5 missions, but, remember those mission people always criticize like military hardware, Minisub, the Jewelry Store Job prep tasks, Architect Plans, and Driller Prep Tasks. These Tasks that are called garbage but have certain ways in which you can complete them and they are quite fun as well. Other missions such the Hotel Assassination, Lamar Down, Hood Safari, Minor Turbulence, Deep Inside, and Friends Reunited have certain ways you can do them.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:33 PM Edited by peluche503, 13 February 2014 - 08:34 PM.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

As for the side missions GTA V also beats GTA IV because there is more variety, the only good side missions in GTA IV were the most wanted, the fixer, and the drug missions, the rest were either repetitive or just rehashes.

I can't say I agree. I found GTA V to be disappointing in regards to its side missions and too Trevor biased. Which I don't think is a good thing considering I like Trevor the least. Michael and Franklin have a disappointing low amount of side missions available to them, but I'm not talking about their unique Strangers & Freaks missions as they're the equivalent of the random characters in GTA IV.

The game is called Grand Theft Auto yet this is the first main entry since GTA III without any kind of import/export mission. I loved those in GTA IV as they all had unique situations and the ones we stole for Stevie were a good a way of getting to know the city, but really were just plain fun to do.

The only side missions I like in GTA V are the arms trafficking missions. Hunting and bail bonds are ok, but a slap to the face to hunting and bounties in RDR.

All things considered I think the side missions could've been a lot better. GTA IV otherwise beats GTA V in this apartment IMO.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:46 AM Edited by peluche503, 14 February 2014 - 11:46 AM.

As for the side missions GTA V also beats GTA IV because there is more variety, the only good side missions in GTA IV were the most wanted, the fixer, and the drug missions, the rest were either repetitive or just rehashes.

I can't say I agree. I found GTA V to be disappointing in regards to its side missions and too Trevor biased. Which I don't think is a good thing considering I like Trevor the least. Michael and Franklin have a disappointing low amount of side missions available to them, but I'm not talking about their unique Strangers & Freaks missions as they're the equivalent of the random characters in GTA IV.

The game is called Grand Theft Auto yet this is the first main entry since GTA III without any kind of import/export mission. I loved those in GTA IV as they all had unique situations and the ones we stole for Stevie were a good a way of getting to know the city, but really were just plain fun to do.

The only side missions I like in GTA V are the arms trafficking missions. Hunting and bail bonds are ok, but a slap to the face to hunting and bounties in RDR.

All things considered I think the side missions could've been a lot better. GTA IV otherwise beats GTA V in this apartment IMO.

I agree with you on the on V not having those vehicle theft missions. But when it came to races I preferred GTA V because we had various type of races and not only car races. The stranger and freak mission were also far better than the ones in IV's. V also had parachute jumps and Triathlons which is something that I like the kept from TBOGT.

As well as the forgotten rampages from the GTA 3 era which were a good throwback. The collectibles were also more fun to collect because it was very fun to collect them in different environments. Knight flight jumps and under the bridge jumps were also good because it gave the planes more depth. Also flying school was pretty fun to do which was a good throwback to SA.

The shooting range were also a good return from GTA SA, which is something that could have been featured in SA. The drug deliveries were good and the bail bonds were just ok. Finally the random character events were plain fun because it gave you chance to explore the whole map to see the very weird things that happen in it.

I like the side missions like the drug delivery missions, the most wanted, and the fixer assassinations. As well as the races but because they were too limited into one vehicle, so it just couldn't do it for me. Car thefts would have been done once, not twice because you already had Brucie's thefts and plus they gave you clues which was kind of dumb because in past GTA's you had to work very hard to get, they are still fun but not as fun as before. The Random characters are not good, but they paved the way for the great encounter in RDR and V. The collectibles were also less fun to do and there were too much of them and the stunt jumps were just as fun as usual. As for the vigilante missions they were far better than the GTA's before it, but it could have been better if they only had the most wanted missions only, but nonetheless these are fun to do.

The taxi missions could have been given more importance in these games as well which was disappointing. GTA V not having vigilante missions was also a disappointment and also I do think the property side missions could have been given more importance because they are fun to do.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Speaking of races while I appreciate R* made different types I don't like how the street races are just all sports cars/super cars. What I like about the races in GTA IV is you just don't know what kind opponents you'll get.

Sometimes SUVs, other times sport cars. Even a mix of sports cars and average sedans. I used a PCJ 600 once and showed up the likes of Comets, Turismos etc. It was insane fun trying to make sure I didn't get knocked off by an out of control opponent.

I like that sort of variation. The street races are too Midnight Club-ish and predictable in GTA V. Luckily it's compensated by the off road/atv and sea races.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:10 PM Edited by peluche503, 14 February 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Speaking of races while I appreciate R* made different types I don't like how the street races are just all sports cars/super cars. What I like about the races in GTA IV is you just don't know what kind opponents you'll get.

Sometimes SUVs, other times sport cars. Even a mix of sports cars and average sedans. I used a PCJ 600 once and showed up the likes of Comets, Turismos etc. It was insane fun trying to make sure I didn't get knocked off by an out if control opponent.

I like that sort of variation. The street races are too Midnight Club-ish and predictable in GTA V.

Still I do think they did a better job in GTA V's races, but being predictable doesn't take away from it because they are still fun to do. GTA IV races are good, but at some point I just got tired of doing the same vehicle races. In GTA V you had off road races, Street Races, and sea races which is great to see that it's just not the same all the time.

GTAV112
  • GTAV112

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Gameplay: V, best gameplay.

Story/Characters: IV,  but just because the story.  (missions and so one was better in v)

• Lowi likes this

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:04 PM Edited by lol232, 15 February 2014 - 12:57 PM.

• Gameplay: V
  • Story/Characters: IV
  • Place: IV
This.
But nearly a tie between the V's and IV's gameplay.
But this is how I would score it:
Place: 100 points for IV 90 Points for V
Gameplay: 100 Points for V 95 Points for IV
Story: 100 Points for IV 90 Points for V

Hence the reason why I think IV is a better game.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

V, then IV, and then V.

Gameplay was a tricky choice. IV's controls feel more natural and a little less clunky, but V has better side stuff in my opinion.

IV gets story/characters because I didn't much care for anyone in V. The story was kinda unstructured with a very finicky plot.

And I prefer Los Santos because it feels a lot more like my city than Liberty City did. I'd have picked Alderney over either if that had been the main setting of IV, Alderney was great.

trevor2smokes
  • trevor2smokes

IV>V

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Voted IV on all. The only fun thing in V is ripping cars off the mountian. V came out terrible except the graphics. After beating V I was instantly bored with the game and doubt I will return to it. IV is a million times better.
  • jeanrjm likes this

Alvinz10000
  • Alvinz10000

Computer Kid

• Members
  • Hong-Kong

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:59 AM Edited by Alvinz10000, 20 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

much like i expected.

characters/story - 4

gameplay - 5

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

gameplay: V,

Storyline + Characters: IV,

Settings:  V. *

*why there's no Both option? :(

Redketman
  • Redketman

Playa

• Members

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

My opinions: GTA V has a better map/setting and atmosphere than GTA IV because I really prefer California + countrysides over half-boring Liberty City. GTA IV, on the other hand, has more interesting missions and storyline characters than GTA V. It felt like the missions in GTA V were too easy sometimes and there should have been more action missions already at the beginning of the game. IMO the storyline is also better in GTA IV, and there were way better antagonists (Bulgarin, Dimitri, Pegorino etc.) in this game than in GTA V. GTA V didn't really have a good antagonist at all and there were very few memorable charachers, except for the protagonists of course! (The idea of having three protagonists in the game turned out to be good).  

Overall I'd like to say that GTA V is better game than GTA IV because I have always thought IV is a little bit overrated. GTA III and San Andreas were way better games for example. BUT, I might actually rate GTA IV slightly higher than GTA V, but it is hard to make a decision right now because I have only played through GTA V once.  

• ten-a-penny likes this

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:20 AM Edited by BabeRuth, 24 February 2014 - 03:28 AM.

*why there's no Both option? :(

Because it would defeat the whole purpose of the poll/topic.

(@ Redketman)

All GTAs are overrated in their own way.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

I don't get why everyone likes the gameplay in V better. It felt so fake,

the ragdoll physics were alot more restricted

you couldn't push people over unless you ran towards them

you rarely go flying if you crash your bike

the vehicle damage sucks

the explosions suck

peds don't crawl away when injured like in IV, instead they just die

one punch kills a ped?

Cant see peds health status anymore

The worst police ai in the whole series

The hand-to-hand combat sucks

The only thing V improved on was the fps. It has been collecting dust ever since I beat the story, the gameplay mechanics are too fake and boring

• B Dawg likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users