» «
Photo

Passive Players, Chumps?

168 replies to this topic
beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:17 PM Edited by beat_savy_9, 07 February 2014 - 06:19 PM.

There are many views on passive mode in this forum and elsewhere saying on the one hand, it's ineffective due to it's limitations and on the other it's too aggressive due to it's frequent combative use. However, it is the only mechanism players can use if they desire to play online with strangers yet prefer to not engage in combat. My question is, if a player desires to play this game in a casual way, in other words, not interested in killing players but rather roam around seeing the sights, having a tea party, etc., and at the same time, do it in an open public lobby with strangers, does that imply that player is classed as a chump, or is playing wrong? I ask because I heard an in game microphone conversation where one player who was in passive mode, and was not attacking anybody, being ridiculed relentlessly with many flowery adjectives.

• scubadave and save_the_babys like this

nitefallz
  • nitefallz

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

tl;dr

Players who go passive after f*cking with me and then getting owned are chumps.

• Vooodu, kasheku, SAUL_SILVER and 3 others like this

dewtech
  • dewtech

Tied down with battleship chains

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I've never used passive mode.

If I don't want to engage in PvP, I either get Lola to conduct her business away from the morons, or in an invite only session.

guygamer1
  • guygamer1

Domestic Battery Commissioner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

No. I mainly go passive whilst shopping etc or if I know someone is purposefully making a bee line for me because I don't want to engage in pointless combat and waste precious ammo.

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

The chumps are people who kill passive mode players. If a player wants to do his own thing in a public lobby, that is his right. It's the assholes who go out of their way to kill players who are in passive mode because they want to force their play style on others, who are the chumps.
  • Enchilada, ShinobiFixer, TezST and 8 others like this

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

lol... 4 sentences = TL;DR.... it's 0bama's world now...

and no. The chumps are the bums griefing everyone...

• saintsrow, PkUnzipper, Thor Shreddington and 4 others like this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Players who attack players in tanks then go passive when they loose that tank are the biggest bitches in GTA.

:D

• The Hippie, ShinobiFixer, The Real SpitKing and 8 others like this

nitefallz
  • nitefallz

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

What the f*ck does Obama have to do with someone being too lazy to read someone's whining? 

• TimelyMeerkat likes this

uptownrockstar
  • uptownrockstar

Reagan Era

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

The chumps are people who kill passive mode players. If a player wants to do his own thing in a public lobby, that is his right. It's the assholes who go out of their way to kill players who are in passive mode because they want to force their play style on others, who are the chumps.

I endorse this message..

Also when being spawn killed by tanks= strategic

Ftw..

redfirebird87
  • redfirebird87

Perpetually Pedantic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Passive mode is in game because there are no Passive mode lobbies. Regardless of the views on this forum, it is an in-game mechanic and no one should be called a chump for their desired mode of play, imo. The people doing the name calling should realize there are ~14 other people to kill if they so wish to waste their time in Free Roam. 

• Sangers, beat_savy_9 and vipprimo like this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I go passive so I can jerk my gherkin in front of your tank.
  • HowsItGoingM8, redfirebird87, Sangers and 2 others like this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

I always run into players trying to kill me in passive.... for no reason.

Its like they go all stupid.. They start trying to run me over... The waste bullets shooting at me.    I mean, WTF?  There like a full on gun fight going on down the street and you want a piece of the passive player minding their own business?

As soon as they give up.  Thats when i go off the radar,,, Jump in any car and shoo them dead in seconds.

lmao.

• KimberJane, Sangers, beat_savy_9 and 1 other like this

jesusalready
  • jesusalready

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

If you want to go shopping and not be bothered, go to an invite only  / solo session.

But, 9 times out of 10 for me, the passive player was just in a tank (or some level 300+ glitcher)  and after being killed or sniped (or couldn't handle being killed after they killed me first). They stick around thinking they're trolling, when in reality we know they're chumps.

Put in a 2 minute limit and an 8 minute cool down (48 if you were in a tank).  2 minutes in passive is enough to extricate yourself from a location and get somewhere safe.  Better yet, use f'in Off Radar.

• a20characterusername likes this

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

What the f*ck does Obama have to do with someone being too lazy to read someone's whining? 

well first... he/she wasn't "whining"

and second... The "hope and change" campaign had no specifics in it at all... every speech was designed for the listener to take from it what the listener wanted it to be..

third... it was a joke..

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Passive mode is in game because there are no Passive mode lobbies. Regardless of the views on this forum, it is an in-game mechanic and no one should be called a chump for their desired mode of play, imo. The people doing the name calling should realize there are ~14 other people to kill if they so wish to waste their time in Free Roam. 

So if i decide to grief everyone in a tank, thats all cool.. I can blow up their PV, spawn kill them  Camp the insurance or impound lot.

Hey, thats all cool right?  Its my desired play style right?

Then i when my tank gets blown up... I can just go 'passive' and herp a derp my way to another one and do it all over again.  YAY!!

Bitch is a bitch... 

GTA-Freak-iX
  • GTA-Freak-iX

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:35 PM Edited by Gta-freak-VI, 07 February 2014 - 06:36 PM.

Passive mode players should get their own lobbies where they can have tea parties and dress up there or if they want a peaceful session then solo/invite sessions is the way

Pixel S
  • Pixel S

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

If you want to go shopping and not be bothered, go to an invite only  / solo session.

But, 9 times out of 10 for me, the passive player was just in a tank (or some level 300+ glitcher)  and after being killed or sniped (or couldn't handle being killed after they killed me first). They stick around thinking they're trolling, when in reality we know they're chumps.

Put in a 2 minute limit and an 8 minute cool down (48 if you were in a tank).  2 minutes in passive is enough to extricate yourself from a location and get somewhere safe.  Better yet, use f'in Off Radar.

it's not as simple as just going to an invite only session. 

It's not just there as an option you have to go all the way back to single player  re load online go shopping and then do it all again to go back to public.

So say it was the other way round  would you be asked to do that every time you wanted a gun fight with someone?  

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:40 PM Edited by blk95ta, 07 February 2014 - 06:43 PM.

Why the hell should i have to go to a private lobby just to sell a car to lsc or to drive around the city. Free roam doesn't have to be a perpetual deathmatch. If 2 people want it to be, fine. But that doesn't mean a player who goes passive should have to deal with COD asshats who can't move around a map without killing every white dot they see.

If people want to kill each other constantly, they can play this wonderful mode R* created called....suprise suprise.....DEATHMATCH.
  • BigBrother67 likes this

jesusalready
  • jesusalready

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

So say it was the other way round  would you be asked to do that every time you wanted a gun fight with someone?  

Then we wouldn't be playing GTA.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

I abuse the sh*t out of that feature whenever someone thinks they're going to grief me. I just wish I could still call lamar on them.

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

what about when people go passive during a fire fight?

yesterday we were fighting these guys & some went passive, & stood in front of a teammate that was sniping, which made him harder to hit. it's also common for players to go passive after they start losing battles, yet they hang around taunting.

i myself only use passive when the tanks come out. I don't have proper equipment to battle tanks, so I don't engage them.

to me the chumps are the guys the help you kill that guy that's driving around tossing stickies, & turn around a kill you. how can randoms work together, & the instant their task is complete, they turn on each other?

oh, & I never go after players passive or not. I allow everyone to kill me first before I react.

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Why the hell should i have to go to a private lobby just to sell a car to lsc or to drive around the city. Free roam doesn't have to be a perpetual deathmatch. If 2 people want it to be, fine. But that doesn't mean a player who goes passive should have to deal with COD asshats who can't move around a map without killing every white dot they see.

If people want to kill each other constantly, they can play this wonderful mode R* created called....suprise suprise.....DEATHMATCH.

On your last point - some have openly stated that deathmatches are way too hard for them... they grief because their only skill is surprising players who are trying to do something else with a quick death... when that player fights back/blows up their tank.. they're the ones who go Passive right away to keep their (ever important) KDR rate...

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I abuse the sh*t out of that feature whenever someone thinks they're going to grief me. I just wish I could still call lamar on them.

Passive mode and emergency services. Calling the cops on griefers is hilarious.
  • 8up local likes this

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

There are many views on passive mode in this forum and elsewhere saying on the one hand, it's ineffective due to it's limitations and on the other it's too aggressive due to it's frequent combative use. However, it is the only mechanism players can use if they desire to play online with strangers yet prefer to not engage in combat. My question is, if a player desires to play this game in a casual way, in other words, not interested in killing players but rather roam around seeing the sights, having a tea party, etc., and at the same time, do it in an open public lobby with strangers, does that imply that player is classed as a chump, or is playing wrong? I ask because I heard an in game microphone conversation where one player who was in passive mode, and was not attacking anybody, being ridiculed relentlessly with many flowery adjectives.

I have had this exact thing happen to me. Guy tried and failed several ways to kill me even killing himself in the process. Then started with the messages. I took it as a last ditch effort for him to goad me out of passive mode so he could kill me. For some players it is like some sort of personal insult to them that they are not allowed to kill a player. The only valid point that I hear on the subject is that I would in fact be taking up a slot that a PVP player could be in. If someone ever messages me and asked me to clear up the spot I would probably oblidge and leave. Any other comment is BS. Just move along and treat a passive like an NPC and life goes on.

In this case I went passive to answer the phone and came back just in time to deal with the idiot. If he had not bothered with me at all I would have simply gone active and continued playing.
  • beat_savy_9, TimelyMeerkat and 8up local like this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Play the way you want...this should be in the pissin and moanin thread.

SAUL_SILVER
  • SAUL_SILVER

DILLIGAF---GIRFUY

• Awaiting Authorization
  • Scotland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

They are only a chump if they come out of it shoot you then back into it IMO, there should be a warning other players.

It would be nice if it worked so that you can't inflict damage other players nor take any, but still have the ability to take on cops and carry on as normal.

Pixel S
  • Pixel S

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Then we wouldn't be playing GTA.

So your saying if you couldn't have gun fights or kill people no one would be playing? 

I guess no one ever played freindly free roams in red dead or Gta Iv then. 

Terrato137
  • Terrato137

That guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Agreed 100%. If I don't wanna be hassled by some kid wanting to kill everything in sight, yet still wanna play with other people, then grant me the freedom to do so. I've said this on another thread, but i'll say it again, "How would you feel if you were in a restroom stall takin a sh*t and some guy slams open your door, slaps the f*ck out of you, then walks out?"

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Only dbags start fights...

muhmuhhuh
  • muhmuhhuh

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Ill sometimes go in to passive mode to take some nice close up action shots on snapamatic. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users