Photo

Does turning off the headlights...

36 replies to this topic
darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:57 AM

Increase your chances of losing the cops?  I have been wondering about this for a long time.  But I never really got any proof.  It feels like it does, but I am not sure.

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

They work with sound, I think. Not vision.

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:01 AM Edited by Gta-freak-VI, 07 February 2014 - 05:55 AM.

I also do this in thinking they would see my headlights when hiding in alleys. I don't think it helps or anything but I just do it for the sake of realism :turn:
  • jdwarfer, Sangers, Hanshot 420th and 2 others like this

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

It works with line of sight as well as your noise level. Although the cops have a pretty unfair intuition. At time they know exactly where to find you no matter how well hidden you are. Sometimes this provides some pretty creative means of escaping, but mostly it becomes frustrating.

Its the same as how silencers dont help keep you from gaining a wanted level.

• poklane, Viper9502, Sangers and 1 other like this

High_Pockets
  • High_Pockets

Grape Smuggler

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

I turn on my brights so I can get a better view of what I'm killing.

• BigBrother67 likes this

Headdogg81
  • Headdogg81

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:04 AM

Im pretty sure turning the radio off will make the stars go away quicker when hiding. Not sure about lights though.

SeaWallTx
  • SeaWallTx

Emperor of The Grand Ole Republic of Texas

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

I would like to think so, as I do when I run from the cops(in game lol), but I think TeammateAssist is right, if you notice on your HUD, when you are wanted or in a mission, a little blue circle will be around your character(SM&MP) and it will get bigger and smaller depending on how much noise you make. Also on SP the cops come toward you no matter what you do.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

Im surprised there arent more videos out there showing the intuitive ways to evade the cops such as turning off the headlights/radio.

Maybe one of you guys should get on that, and it might get featured on GTAV.net ;)

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

Silencers do help keep you from gaining a wanted level :-P

ZakMc
  • ZakMc

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

I don't think turning off your headlights or radio affects losing your wanted level.

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

It works with line of sight as well as your noise level. Although the cops have a pretty unfair intuition. At time they know exactly where to find you no matter how well hidden you are. Sometimes this provides some pretty creative means of escaping, but mostly it becomes frustrating.

Interesting. I've not come across any such experience myself. I'll give you they're very intuitive.

I would word it along the lines of "silencers affect how soon you acquire a wanted level in the sense they lengthen the time/effort required, in most situations".

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

I don't think sound has any effect to be honest. I always honk my horn at the cops whenever they are nearby searching and it has never given away my position.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

That seems plausible. I know silencers will help during stealth missions but I never have seen a significant effect on wanted levels/police AI

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

What I don't understand is the actual use of the "blue sound ripple" that radiates out from your player, especially in DMs. It randomly starts blipping too and for the longest time I figured my position was just revealed because I was running or walking with a "heavy" gun - seems it never was.

Lazysunday88
  • Lazysunday88

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:24 AM

I have no idea if it helps or not but I still do it if I'm in an alley or something.  1. Because it might help.  2. Because I'm bored waiting 13 and a half minutes for those stars to quit blinking.

• djmatao likes this

CJXJ220
  • CJXJ220

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

They definitely react to sound.

When I do the Editor and Thief job for Madrazo, I take a different path than the GPS such that I end up across the street catty-corner from where the editor is parked in his Voltic.  I snipe him, drive over and grab his documents, then race across the street to the parking garage.

Last time I did this, I got careless and clipped a wall going up the ramps to the top level, and they were alerted and came after me.  Normally i can just sit on the top level, and if they do come looking for me up there, I go down the other side or take the stunt jump off the roof.

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Out of habit as soon as o get a star the radio goes off and headlights go out. Same goes for being chased by other players. Lights out and radio off. Depending on which vehicle I'm in I may shoot out my lights all around so I don't even show brake lights. People who have seem me play often say it looks like a movie.

What I don't understand is the actual use of the "blue sound ripple" that radiates out from your player, especially in DMs. It randomly starts blipping too and for the longest time I figured my position was just revealed because I was running or walking with a "heavy" gun - seems it never was.

When you are suppressed, crouch walking and not reloading you make no sound. By running, reloading, firing a loud gun, climbing over object and even bumping into items on the map gives away your position.

Death Match is set up like Red Dead's free roam. Your blip only shows up when you're being loud. Get sneaky. The blue sound waves let you know how visible you are.

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Out of habit as soon as o get a star the radio goes off and headlights go out. Same goes for being chased by other players. Lights out and radio off. Depending on which vehicle I'm in I may shoot out my lights all around so I don't even show brake lights. People who have seem me play often say it looks like a movie.

When you are suppressed, crouch walking and not reloading you make no sound. By running, reloading, firing a loud gun, climbing over object and even bumping into items on the map gives away your position.

Death Match is set up like Red Dead's free roam. Your blip only shows up when you're being loud. Get sneaky. The blue sound waves let you know how visible you are.

Makes sense. Define "how visible" you are. I mean translate it into how it's shown to another player in DM. As far as I can tell your blip doesn't show up on enemy radar at all unless you're firing an explosive, using a non silenced weapon, etc.

• madmanaz likes this

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

They work with sound, I think. Not vision.

cops are 2d, like your radar. that is your best judge.

but i would advise only using them if you need to or do not play with the brightness up enough (its 360 and ps3.... nuff said)

its a bit easier to spot two bright lights than none at all.

I will pwn you newbs
  • I will pwn you newbs

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

Who knows but I do it anyway

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Im surprised there arent more videos out there showing the intuitive ways to evade the cops such as turning off the headlights/radio.

Maybe one of you guys should get on that, and it might get featured on GTAV.net ;)

thats because everyone knows if you hide well enough on the map you don't need to do any of that stuff. cops are still 2d despite all these features you mentioned, because no matter what level you seem to be on at times, those cops always know where you are. even if no one saw you go there. other times, you can simply go off road and they will never follow you.

it seems if those features you mentioned are a factor, then the cops are like bloodhounds and can follow your smell. but its pretty random and situation dependent. its a bit far stretched in order to maintain balance between loosing cops too easily and never being able to shake them.

I honestly only used the light/noise discipline with other online players, not cops, even when they are feeling frisky.

Watch Tower
  • Watch Tower

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Turning my lights off makes me feel like I'm real slick. I don't care if it doesn't do anything.

It definitely helps when you're trying to get the jump on another player at night though. 

• iiGh0STt and a20characterusername like this

Sash
  • Sash

Mile high club

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

I drove past a cop car with the lights off without getting noticed. It was in an Entity so it was fast too.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

I can't say for sure, but like others have said turning off the headlights does seem to work to a degree.

Later on I'm gonna do a solo session and test some stuff out, see what exactly they react to and from which distances.

Nipper
  • Nipper

Beware the 'stache

• Members
  • Bolivia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Been wondering this too.

I was driving along the top of some hilltops at night with my lights on, cops could see me, as soon as I switched the lights off they lost sight of me. Coincidental action at the time they were going to lose sight anyway? Maybe, but it's happened a number of times before too, so are they all coincidence?

Or is there some truth to "going dark"?

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Also, about police "knowing" where we are: They show up to the scene using info from NPC's and obviously the way the game was written. They then search the area around the crime for you. If you are being chased and run over a person or hit a car etc, the police come to investigate that crime as if it were related, thus they search that new area.

I recommend heading into the hills. Basic police cars have poor traction and will lose control easily if you can control yourself. Big bushes, blocking line of sight is your numbern1 goal.

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Also, about police "knowing" where we are: They show up to the scene using info from NPC's and obviously the way the game was written. They then search the area around the crime for you. If you are being chased and run over a person or hit a car etc, the police come to investigate that crime as if it were related, thus they search that new area.

I recommend heading into the hills. Basic police cars have poor traction and will lose control easily if you can control yourself. Big bushes, blocking line of sight is your numbern1 goal.

Agreed with heading off-road, particularly hills of some kind. However "bushes" in my case has to be defined. Anything you as a player can walk through (hide in) in my experience has never blocked their line of sight (cone vision) at all or in any case I've ever come across. If it's something the player cannot pass through or climb over it seems to act as a "solid" structure/wall thus breaking that line of sight (places in Vinewood, Richman, etc for perfect examples that do work around houses).

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

i turn my headlights off whenever i get a chance, but it does seem to have a small positive effect when cops are looking for you, the thing ive noticed is if your approaching a cop from behind (so his POV cone is in front of him) with light son they seem to turn around a lot sooner, compared to turning the light off where you can get quite close before they turn...

i have a tendancy to hide in the garden just south of michaels house (where you can do the gate glitch) and when i leave my light on they seem to spot me, tested last night dropping my lights off and they just drove around for a while and then gave up,  then got back to the gate launch

although these days its become second nature to take three lefts followed by three rights and it seems to shake them off pretty well

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

i turn my headlights off whenever i get a chance, but it does seem to have a small positive effect when cops are looking for you, the thing ive noticed is if your approaching a cop from behind (so his POV cone is in front of him) with light son they seem to turn around a lot sooner, compared to turning the light off where you can get quite close before they turn...

i have a tendancy to hide in the garden just south of michaels house (where you can do the gate glitch) and when i leave my light on they seem to spot me, tested last night dropping my lights off and they just drove around for a while and then gave up,  then got back to the gate launch

although these days its become second nature to take three lefts followed by three rights and it seems to shake them off pretty well

Might have a small effect, not sure. Going off of that I've read in several places if you're with someone (obviously share the wanted level) and you both get out of the car after finding a safe spot instead of both sitting there it supposedly speeds up the process a bit - no idea if confirmed or b.s.

heybud
  • heybud

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

No, but parking and getting out of the car will

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users