Quantcast

» «
Photo

Have you every used a airstrike successfully?

47 replies to this topic
SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

I once was fighting someone and they were camped out and I was out of grenades so I used the airstrike. I had never used it before so was quite excited to see the effect. I got into a good position and threw it and then waited. Then he ran away but i still waited to see what would happen. nothing happened.

I think there is a certain time to do it by, thats why it went so wrong for me, but overall it just feels like such a sh*t perk. It should be laser designated with at least a day cool down.

Its like a reeeaaaaally obvious grenade with a long timer. Has anyone actually used it to good effect?

• Vehicles likes this

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

Now Includes Respect List

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

you have like 20 seconds after selecting the option, to throw it. it really sucks unless someones ontop of a building, the bombs hit up there if you throw the flare next to it

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

No as I have never even used it to be honest.

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Nope, because I'm too poor to purchase anything. Damn you Johnny Cashcards :angry:

Ninjambie
  • Ninjambie

I got riders... you know who you are.

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

I've only used it once.... for comical purposes. Found this noob in a session by himself once and asked him if he wanted to see a fireworks display. He said, "yes." I threw the flare at his feet and told him that's it. He was like, "dafuq :/." He black screened. I told him, "Welcome to DTA" and left.

PoopyThomas
  • PoopyThomas

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

I drove by a crew meeting in front of by Eclipse Towers and did a drive by airstrike. Biggest explosion I've ever seen. Gud stuf

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

Leave a message.

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

3 times. All for people sitting atop of buildings.

hesselgren
  • hesselgren

Homie

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

many times.   but yeah you have to be quick with the flare

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I did once and it was pretty f*cking cool

I got in the back of my sandking XL and called for the airstrike

I dropped it in the back and quickly got in

drove down the street towards my target and ended up killing him

it took a few tries tough and I haven;t been able to do it again since due to poor timing of the airstrike

Hostile187Chop
  • Hostile187Chop

187Duce

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

I've used it a few times and if u use it in the right situation it can be deadly. My best memory of it was when I was on my way to deliver a Simeon vehicle & on the map I noticed 4 guys waiting down there waiting e for me. Think they were a crew cause they weren't shooting each other. As I approached the shortcut to simeon , (you know instead of the long winding road just cut through to the left side) I saw cops as well so i guess they were shooting it out. I stopped, went off radar, and called the air airstrike. I drove behind a container, got out & threw the flare where the guys were. Don't think they noticed me otherwise they would've hauled ass. I nuked em all! I destroyed all of their PVs including the cops. The kill feed was insane; bad sport warnings out the ass. I swear my playstation was going to crash cause of the explosion.

I tried using the airstrike in a survival solo wave 10 on rail yard as the influx of enemies was getting to be a bit overwhelming. For some reason the strike didn't go off; shame cause i'da killed a lot of NPCs. Maybe the strike can't be used in survival? Can anyone confirm this? Much appreciated.
  • gitmowaterboard and SuperDuperGta like this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:38 PM Edited by codename_duchess, 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Bit of a cheeky one on my part. Saw a group of players outside an LSC, so i went off the radar and ran past them. Just before, i'd called for the airstrike and i dropped the flare as i ran past. I think the 3 players that died, along with their cars being blown up, were pretty annoyed and confused. I laughed hard

There's been a few other attempts with the airstrike but haven't had that much joy with it. I do remember that when everyone had all the cash given to them, they seemed pretty regular things in most lobbies i went into

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

thats one expensive useless option...

used only in 3 occasions during the billionaires days...

in order for this option to make sense it should be like the mercenaries, that you simply choose the name of the victim.

the simple fact that you have to go and mark the target yourself make this a useless waste of money.
  • EarthboundMysfit and Guelah Papyrus like this

lordemperor
  • lordemperor

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Have called for at least 10 airstrikes and successfully killed ONE person.

The strike either doesn't come, comes too late, I get knocked down while holding the flair (repeatedly until it's too late), shot & killed or my favourite yet run over & killed by NPC traffic.

• SuperDuperGta likes this

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:19 PM Edited by SteveNYC81, 06 February 2014 - 11:19 PM.

It was used on me recently, I was sniping from atop Richards Majestic, and I had this little pest at the base that wouldn't go away after killing him 4 times. Little did I know he had flare out, and when I heard the Jets come, it was actually cool seeing myself get carpet bombed to death on the helipad. More satisfying knowing someone had to spend $12500 just to kill me once.

Luvythicus
  • Luvythicus

Pugman Luvy

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

I don't use em often, but I do like em. Usually use em to good effect. If you call in the Airstrike and get the flare, it doesn't count down from when you throw it, but when you ordered it. So if you hold the flare for a bit, jet's still gonna come in. If you hold it too long, it'll just pass, no airstrike. With that knowledge, try holding it a bit, like cooking a grenade. Might surprise em more. I still love em~

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

Yes.

Under the bridge glitch.

Smart bros gonna be smart bros :D

Thrusty
  • Thrusty

Snitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

I had three retards camping out the front of my garage with a tank and a couple other vehicles.  They were taunting me and sending private messages about me coming out to play with them. While they were focused on my garage door I walked out the apartment door, dropped an airstrike flare next to them and then stood back and watched.  Them and there vehicles were burnt to a crisp. Was beautiful to watch. 

scubadave
  • scubadave

Platinum Club

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

airstrike needs to be fixed. either allow us to paint the target or just throw a tracker or just choose a point on the map. these are ideas from the nuke thread, but could be applied to the airstrikes as well.

• Ethereal_NYC likes this

Zorvaine
  • Zorvaine

Honor Among Thieves.

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Many times. 

A neat trick which you can do is if you call for an airstrike while inside a car and hold the flare while still in your car and throw it on another player's car it will stick to it.

Then once the jet arrives, even though a player is driving his car fast through the streets with the flare still attached to it, the rockets will actually follow him with a chance of one hitting him. 

It's hilarious, I've done it so many times, I called Lester to get myself off the radar, I approached an enemy which was in his car, threw the flare on him, he then floored it and after that I saw a waking cataclysm of rockets go down a street until I finally saw the notification that I killed him after he was 5 blocks away.

A specific moment was when I went off the radar and went to where 4 guys in tanks were meeting up. I threw sticky bombs on the tanks and called for an airstrike. The rockets along with the charges hit them spot on.

The strike took out 2 out of the 4 tanks and they were all confused what was going on and I got away with it without them even knowing...

NeilNATO
  • NeilNATO

100% GTA Die hard Fan

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Yeah you have to chuck the flair just before the jet pass's by,

I always use them with a 9 out of 10 success rate against roof top snipers who think they are gods.

secrules2
  • secrules2

Trick

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:31 AM Edited by secrules2, 07 February 2014 - 02:32 AM.

Numerous times but it's not worth it now that I'm not worth billions. I guess I should add that they were always on top of a building to this.

BaM BooZeLLed
  • BaM BooZeLLed

Scooby Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:16 AM

I havent tried these ideas but I might give it ago the next time the situation presents itself. Seems like its for stationary targets or slow moving targets for a higher probability of timing the strike correctly. 

Situation:

If someone is camping a rooftop.

Action:

Off the Radar drive to the base of their building drop the flare and book it. The strike should be wide enough to get them on top.

Situation:

Tank Trolling the streets.

Action: If what another member above has mentioned that the flares stick to there targets like sticky bombs. Then go off the grid and move in on the tank toss a flare on it maybe a sticky if time aloud it. 

Anyone know if a single Airstrike can blow up a fresh tank? I could see that alone being a big benefit to dealing with tanks. If thats all airstrikes were good for I would be cool with it haha. 

Headdogg81
  • Headdogg81

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

I have used a few. Not so much now im no longer billionaire but as others have stated they are very useful for players on top of buildings. They are usually too high up to see the red smoke and there is nowhere to hide once the jet comes in. Having said that when im perched on top of a building im very aware of that possibility. Any noise resembling a jet I usually bail and jump off. I did counter it once successfully by jumping, pulling the chute and then spraying the player at ground level with my smg as I was gliding down. I would have loved to see their face once they were killed.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Meep Meep.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:29 AM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 07 February 2014 - 03:35 AM.

I've never used the airstrike option from Merryweather, since it's in the 10k's... However, I love to commence my own airstrikes with the Lazer. I'm a good enough pilot to where you can just PM me and I'll fly in and kill whoever you need dead, granted that I'm already in the skies. More of a personal airstrike, but for free. (:

Having a friend/crew member that mastered flying is such a huge bonus in this game, since only a select few people can stop them, and they're pretty spread thin.

• Ethereal_NYC likes this

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Never used flares much, though I do have a good story on them.

Three tanks were camped outside of Eclipse waiting for my crew mate to exit. I went off radar, went up the little hill street, called in an airstrike and threw it at them from behind. Killed all three. My crew mate came out and we spawn killed 'til two of them left. The other one eventually offered a truce but then left with his friends.

Other than that I think I've only used the flare successfully once and on a sniper. I've never tried much with it though. Definitely try it out on apartment campers though if you get the chance!

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

I have had alot of successful uses of the airstrike, but my percentage of success is definitely low.

My most success is when someone is hiding on a roof top. I will get close to the building as possible and drop the flare at the street level. Then I will run out and try and bait them to the edge while the strike comes in.

Its very gratifying when it does work, but not worth the money IMO.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:08 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 07 February 2014 - 04:09 AM.

Somebody was camped behind a wall in a dead end alleyway. They knew I was right on the other side waiting.

I threw a flare in their direction. I was surprised they didn't try to escape at the sight of it. Next thing I know - BoomBOOMboomBOOM. And that's that.

Callen-Vega
  • Callen-Vega

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

I successfully used it on myself. Prior to that I had never used a grenade/sticky bomb. I dropped it at my feet and exploded. Blew up my own ride and I laughed at myself for it.

• Zenzic and Deffpony like this

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Lifelong fan of the number "42"

• D1RTY12
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

Never tried it. Occasionally some smart guy will try to take me down with this but it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Complete waste of $10,000

Accendo
  • Accendo

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Killed a tank that had been cargobob'd onto a scyscraper with one once. I lol'd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users