Discrimination.

113 replies to this topic
EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

おっぱい

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

One time I didn't get a job at Wendy's because they only hire East-Indians. Another time, I didn't get a job at a sushi place because they only hire Korean people who speak Korean. Another time, I didn't get a job at a Bubble Tea place because they only hire Asian people in general and I have the most native sounding last name there is and they lied to me that they weren't hiring anymore when I phoned in and asked about my application.

• WBaker likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:12 PM Edited by Audiophile, 07 February 2014 - 08:15 PM.

You know, I just got back from a 3 hour lecture in my Elder Law course. Today we covered the topic of discrimination in general, not just in relation to the elderly.

Now I am no expert on discrimination but I have taken courses in charter rights and human rights for many years now as part of my studies both in high school and now uni. It seems some of you don't know the definition of the word or what constitutes discrimination.

Discrimination is when you treat someone differently for arbitrary reasons; their age, gender, race, using irrelevant criteria for something like a job requirement or application somewhere.This includes treating equal people unequally and so forth.

You have to actually be treated differently than everyone else based on certain grounds. It can't just be anything like "hurr that person looked at me funny or treated me rudely". That's something that everyone experiences through interactions with other humans. Humans are just douches sometimes, some more than others. That being said, the focus is on the effect of the action on the individual rather than on the purpose behind it, based on grounds which impose burden, obligation or disadvantage on an individual or group that does not extend to everyone else.

It's not discrimination just because your feelings were hurt and the other person happens to be of a different race, in the case of the example that was given in the OP (yes, I know you retracted it but either way) and JIMHO's. If you had been of another race, the result would probably have been the same as the action those people took are based on outside factors. At least, that's what it sounds like to me. I wasn't there, of course and I didn't witness what happened.

There's a condo complex in Toronto where they plan to make it "Muslim-only". There's a lot of uproar here about that right now. Isn't that also a form of discrimination? You can't have things like that in a society that is "multicultural", as Canada strives to be, for instance. If you want to live in a building that only allows a certain race, that defeats the whole purpose of having come to this country, doesn't it? You can't be here and keep 110% of your old culture, if that makes sense.

This kind of stuff happens often and I just wish everyone could get over it and get along with one another.

I'm not directing any of this at a specific instance that someone shared in this thread where they felt discriminated against. Just towards that little argument that went on earlier. Some of the stories you guys shared, that was indeed discrimination on a personal level and I don't want it to seem like I am downplaying any of that.

I don't know. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong and should view it from a personal standpoint rather than what the law would consider discrimination.

Anyway, that's all I have to contribute to this thread for now.

EDIT:

@EphemeralStar

Yes! That is discrimination. I mean, you not being East-Indian or Korean doesn't mean you won't be able to complete the tasks required. See that's what I mean. Certain groups of people like to band together and leave out everyone else, but they usually get away with it.

• WBaker and EphemeralStar like this

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

http://thesocietypag...3/16/gingerism/

Discrimination against gingers is wrong. 

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Yes, yes it is.

I can pass for ginger sometimes as my hair is reddish-blonde. Have had comments on it in the past but meh.

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

おっぱい

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

@Audiophile: Yeah, I'll admit I was totally wrong lol. I don't want to be the type to call "RACIAL DISCRIMINATION!!" at everything and anything that involves someone who was white being a douche to me, that's just silly. 

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

I was once a dirty hippie, living a vagabond life - I have a few stories of discrimination...one that stands out was being denied service at a gas station in my own damn state.  It was like a scene out of a cheesy movie even.  

-Resume deep talks-

THE GHETTO SAMURAI
  • THE GHETTO SAMURAI

Diet Water Please ?

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

One time I didn't get a job at Wendy's because they only hire East-Indians. Another time, I didn't get a job at a sushi place because they only hire Korean people who speak Korean. Another time, I didn't get a job at a Bubble Tea place because they only hire Asian people in general and I have the most native sounding last name there is and they lied to me that they weren't hiring anymore when I phoned in and asked about my application.

Something like that happened to me during last summer. Since here you need 30 work or volunteer hours to graduate school,so I had to apply to places to get the remaining 14 hours needed. My friend ( who is Indian ) told me that the KFC down the road from me is hiring a few positions, so we both told each other that we should apply to the same place. So few days after that me and my friend I gave them our resumes and cover letters and they told us to wait a few days for a call. I waited a few day and got nothing, so I assumed that my friend got no call too but actually he did get a call and he got in. I'm like WTF, I have more work experience than him and I'm better than him at everything. I forgot to mention that the KFC is like managed by Indians, so I'm guessing that they would hire their own people first over other races like me. So, now I still need to find a place to finish the remaining hours and I'm still pissed off. 

• Audiophile likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:25 AM Edited by Audiophile, 08 February 2014 - 12:25 AM.

Ah. I remember those volunteer hours. In Ontario we need like 40 hours (volunteer, not work, we only need volunteer unless they changed it since I graduated) to graduate.I graduated almost 4 years ago. I've always hated the idea of mandatory volunteer work.

Pro tip: pretend you did the remaining hours if you can't find anything. Srs. I faked like 30 of my hours because I was too busy doing actual work to get volunteer hours. I believe for the remaining hours I just said I helped an elderly lady by checking on her, bringing her food etc since one of the allowed activities is helping people in your community. I had an elderly family member with a different last name sign it and go down as the reference. When I handed it in, they didn't even give a sh*t. I came back a week later and asked the counselor how many hours I have, she tells me 43, you're good

I left. I lol'd. I graduated.

• Moth and THE GHETTO SAMURAI like this

Bestrafe_Mich7.62
  • Bestrafe_Mich7.62

Der Metzgermeister

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

That security guard sounds like a real b*tch but it doesn't really sound like discrimination.

I've been discriminated against in a lot worse ways than that by teachers and even leo's.

I didn't really get my feeling hurt over it. I manned up and got over it.

And in some cases vandalized some schidt.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:03 AM Edited by Melchior, 08 February 2014 - 02:03 AM.

If I call something a gender issue, one would assume that it affects one gender and not the other, or else there would be no reason to call it a gender issue.

It's a gender issue 1) because it affects women disproportionately and 2) because the issue arose due to the treatment of women. 

If 10% are men experiencing it, there's a problem. If it only had it's root with women, then why are men also experiencing it? I acknowledge that 90% is much greater than 10%, but that's still 10% who are not women.

What is your point?

If we're going to pull apart every single word like you clearly seem to be doing, Australia is not in the West. 

Yes it is.

And you still failed to expand on your point about the Australian Aborigines.

I already made my point. Centuries of eugenics, hatred and suspicion has made it hard for them to just up and become successful members of white, mainstream society. They are forced to live in the ghetto, other wise they wouldn't be living there and we wouldn't call it a ghetto!

And again, is my original statement false?

No, but it was meaningless and irrelevant. Your subsequent claim- that women and minorities aren't affected by discrimination- was indeed false.

By adding that most people in the developed world don't really have it hard when you compare them to the rest of the world... So, do most people in Australia and/or the developed world have it harder than the people in Syria, or Libya, the Congo, Afghanistan, etc.?

Again, meaningless and irrelevant. 

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

Something like that happened to me during last summer. Since here you need 30 work or volunteer hours to graduate school,so I had to apply to places to get the remaining 14 hours needed. My friend ( who is Indian ) told me that the KFC down the road from me is hiring a few positions, so we both told each other that we should apply to the same place. So few days after that me and my friend I gave them our resumes and cover letters and they told us to wait a few days for a call. I waited a few day and got nothing, so I assumed that my friend got no call too but actually he did get a call and he got in. I'm like WTF, I have more work experience than him and I'm better than him at everything. I forgot to mention that the KFC is like managed by Indians, so I'm guessing that they would hire their own people first over other races like me. So, now I still need to find a place to finish the remaining hours and I'm still pissed off. 

Reminds me of a story my mom told me. At her place of work, they hired a Filipino woman in HR, and she was in charge of hiring people. She did hire people, but only other Filipinos. Someone complained, and she was let go of the position.

Also f*ck the 40 hours of slavery for grad. Forced volunteer work is slavery, end of story. You are suppose to volunteer for it to count as volunteer work, it shouldn't be mandatory,

THE GHETTO SAMURAI
  • THE GHETTO SAMURAI

Diet Water Please ?

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

Reminds me of a story my mom told me. At her place of work, they hired a Filipino woman in HR, and she was in charge of hiring people. She did hire people, but only other Filipinos. Someone complained, and she was let go of the position.

Also f*ck the 40 hours of slavery for grad. Forced volunteer work is slavery, end of story. You are suppose to volunteer for it to count as volunteer work, it shouldn't be mandatory,

I wish I didn't have to do this BS to graduate but you have to sadly. It makes no sense tho, like with this horrible economy how are we supposed to find work ? No one is hiring and if they are, who would hire a teenager that only need the job to graduate while their are people out there with bills to pay. So if i can't get the remaining hours its not my fault as i tried, but this horrible economy's fault. 

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:55 AM

If I call something a gender issue, one would assume that it affects one gender and not the other, or else there would be no reason to call it a gender issue.

1. It's a gender issue 1) because it affects women disproportionately and 2) because the issue arose due to the treatment of women. 

If 10% are men experiencing it, there's a problem. If it only had it's root with women, then why are men also experiencing it? I acknowledge that 90% is much greater than 10%, but that's still 10% who are not women.

2. What is your point?

If we're going to pull apart every single word like you clearly seem to be doing, Australia is not in the West. 

3. Yes it is.

And you still failed to expand on your point about the Australian Aborigines.

4. I already made my point. Centuries of eugenics, hatred and suspicion has made it hard for them to just up and become successful members of white, mainstream society. They are forced to live in the ghetto, other wise they wouldn't be living there and we wouldn't call it a ghetto!

And again, is my original statement false?

5. No, but it was meaningless and irrelevant. Your subsequent claim- that women and minorities aren't affected by discrimination- was indeed false.

By adding that most people in the developed world don't really have it hard when you compare them to the rest of the world... So, do most people in Australia and/or the developed world have it harder than the people in Syria, or Libya, the Congo, Afghanistan, etc.?

6. Again, meaningless and irrelevant. 

The quoting is screwed up for me, so I'm going to label your responses with numbers and respond to them like that.

1/2. If it's a gender issue, it wouldn't also be affecting males. Or else that's not an issue only with gender. There's something else that causes it. But please, continue with this. What makes this a woman's problem and not a male's problem?

3. No, it's not. Culturally, Australia is "Western", but geographically Australia is in the Eastern and Southern Hemispheres. This wasn't really supposed to be a serious disagreement though, just a jab at you picking apart everything. :p

4. Ghettos in the United States aren't always considered groups of ethnic people all living together. It's usually considered a run-down neighborhood (see: sh*thole). I don't know the status of the Aborigines in Australia, but are they forced, by law, into those areas, or is it more the process of easing them into society (like with African Americans in the United States after the end of segregation)?

5/6. No, it wasn't. I added onto theadmiral's sarcastic statement that "White men have it hard." (paraphrasing) by saying that the majority of people in the developed world don't have it that hard, as compared to the rest of the world. That's where all of this is stemming from, you and Nale seemed to interpret my statement incorrectly. We can debate/argue the other points, but they're not really related to my original statement, you two just tried to make it seem that way.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:05 AM Edited by Nale Dixon, 08 February 2014 - 04:11 AM.

5/6. No, it wasn't. I added onto theadmiral's sarcastic statement that "White men have it hard." (paraphrasing) by saying that the majority of people in the developed world don't have it that hard, as compared to the rest of the world. That's where all of this is stemming from, you and Nale seemed to interpret my statement incorrectly. We can debate/argue the other points, but they're not really related to my original statement, you two just tried to make it seem that way.

You see the problem here is that you're acting as if you simply made a factually correct comment with no deeper point or meaning. This is not the case, nobody goes around just shoving out factually correct but otherwise unusable points just for the sake of doing it. Now I'm an old man you understand, so I've been around these sort of opinions to know what you're trying to suggest here. It's a weak argument and it ultimately means nothing .At best it's a form of complacency, at worst you're trying to claim people in the west have no right to complain.

4. Ghettos in the United States aren't always considered groups of ethnic people all living together. It's usually considered a run-down neighborhood (see: sh*thole).

This is the crux of the issue though, isn't it. Ghettos are specifically designed to exist as substandard living for holding ethnic minorities, immigrants and other undesirables. There is a difference between poor working class white people living on housing estates and sub standard living and whole sectors of cities specifically designed to hold a certain type of peoples.

Since we really seem to be going in a loop here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto

ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure.[1] The term was originally used in Venice to describe the part of a city to which Jews were restricted and segregated.

http://www.merriam-w...ctionary/ghetto

: a part of a city in which members of a particular group or race live usually in poor conditions

Full Definition of GHETTO

:  a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
:  a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
a :  an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto>

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:12 AM Edited by Vlynor, 08 February 2014 - 04:13 AM.

You see the problem here is that you're acting as if you simply made a factually correct comment with no deeper point or meaning. This is not the case, nobody goes around just shoving out factually correct but otherwise unusable points just for the sake of doing it. Now I'm an old man you understand, so I've been around these sort of opinions to know what you're trying to suggest here. It's a weak argument and it ultimately means nothing .At best it's a form of complacency, at worst you're trying to claim people in the west have no right to complain.

You know the motivation behind my statement? You have a right to complain. Go ahead, I said it before. The statement was merely to point out that you, and many of the people in your country and other developed countries, have it much easier than people in say, Afghanistan, Syria, or the Congo. It was nothing more than that. I was not implying you have no right to complain nor that there's nothing that needs changing, just that if you're going to complain about something and claim you're the victim of some sort of discrimination, be it gay marriage, or women's rights or what have you (which you very well may be), you should realize that you don't have the hardest life in the world and that other people have it a lot harder than you ever will.

TL;DR: Put it in perspective and don't act like you have the hardest life in the world. Nothing more than that. Don't make it out to be anything more than that, either.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

You know the motivation behind my statement? You have a right to complain. Go ahead, I said it before. The statement was merely to point out that you, and many of the people in your country and other developed countries, have it much easier than people in say, Afghanistan, Syria, or the Congo. It was nothing more than that. I was not implying you have no right to complain nor that there's nothing that needs changing, just that if you're going to complain about something and claim you're the victim of some sort of discrimination, be it gay marriage, or women's rights or what have you (which you very well may be), you should realize that you don't have the hardest life in the world and that other people have it a lot harder than you ever will.

TL;DR: Put it in perspective and don't act like you have the hardest life in the world. Nothing more than that. Don't make it out to be anything more than that, either.

No it wasn't to 'merely point that out', don't act like you're a robot without opinions and motivations. I'm sorry if it sounds insulting, but you're really not the first person to make this 'point' and you're not the last. The motivation is always the same however; people have it worse than you so shut your mouth. I don't see why you don't understand that what you're saying is completely meaningless. You're stating obvious things that don't say anything, to the point that they're not worth mentioning. The only reason you would bring it up is to have a further point.

I'm not acting like anything. Besides, I'd say I know your general political and social views enough to say that your motivations for saying this are certainly not peace love cooperation and saving society. You're trying to degrade the idea that women, gays, minorities, mentally ill people in the west have serious institutional biases against them.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

Dude, your taking his quote completely out of context. 

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

No it wasn't to 'merely point that out', don't act like you're a robot without opinions and motivations. I'm sorry if it sounds insulting, but you're really not the first person to make this 'point' and you're not the last. The motivation is always the same however; people have it worse than you so shut your mouth. I don't see why you don't understand that what you're saying is completely meaningless. You're stating obvious things that don't say anything, to the point that they're not worth mentioning. The only reason you would bring it up is to have a further point.

I'm not acting like anything. Besides, I'd say I know your general political and social views enough to say that your motivations for saying this are certainly not peace love cooperation and saving society. You're trying to degrade the idea that women, gays, minorities, mentally ill people in the west have serious institutional biases against them.

This, again, is what I responded to:

Yeah, white males have it really rough. LOL!

If you put it in perspective with the rest of the world, most people in Europe and the "West" don't "have it really rough". I believe in equality under the law, completely. Marriage should be between whomever wants to share their property, women should make the same amount of money for the exact same amount of work at the exact same location. I'm not trying to further any agenda or anything, I was just responding to theadmiral and saying that you need to have perspective. Yes, you may have it hard compared to other developed nations and people within them, but do you have it hard compared to the starving African child or the homosexual who was hanged because he liked men?

Nale or myself? If I am, I'm sorry and disregard whatever I said.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

You know, everyone has it worse off than someone.

That argument is, no offence, stupid when you break it down to the very basic level. Sure, someone who is discriminated against in a developed country like America, Canada, Australia, Denmark etc. has it better off than someone who is discriminated against in a third world country.

And? Is that supposed to make them feel better? Is that supposed to magically solve their problems? No.

Feelings are valid simply because you feel them, in my opinion, and they shouldn't be disregarded or downplayed because some random person you will never meet in another part of the world has it worse off.

You can always find someone who has it worse off than the previous person. That doesn't solve anything. I'm sure some of these people who do complain, do realize they don't have it as bad as others do in various parts of the world. Sometimes, that only serves to make them feel worse and generally not get help for their issues/believe they have to accept it and make do as they have no right to complain.

Life sucks, man. There's just various degrees of suckage.

• Melchior, THE GHETTO SAMURAI, Nipperkins and 3 others like this

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:27 AM Edited by Nipperkins, 08 February 2014 - 04:28 AM.

Vlynor, on 07 Feb 2014 - 8:26 PM, said:

Nale or myself? If I am, I'm sorry and disregard whatever I said.

Nale

• EyeMacHunt likes this

Macsnowblind707
  • Macsnowblind707

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:29 AM

People always assume I'm a drug addict. I used to do drugs still do but used to too.being homeless I learned that people assume f*cked up sh*t. I didn't panhandle I actually worked 2 sh*t jobs. Assume I just live off the system and wait for that check every 15 days or whatever people who fake disability an sh*t get.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:34 AM Edited by Nale Dixon, 08 February 2014 - 04:35 AM.

No, his quote is serving a specific purpose and clearly you are aware of this seeing as how you liked audiophile's response to it. If you want to argue against every point I make just because you've taken a personal disliking to me then go ahead, but it's going to make you terribly inconsistent when you agree with posts that say the same thing I say.

This, again, is what I responded to:

Yeah, white males have it really rough. LOL!

If you put it in perspective with the rest of the world, most people in Europe and the "West" don't "have it really rough". I believe in equality under the law, completely. Marriage should be between whomever wants to share their property, women should make the same amount of money for the exact same amount of work at the exact same location. I'm not trying to further any agenda or anything, I was just responding to theadmiral and saying that you need to have perspective. Yes, you may have it hard compared to other developed nations and people within them, but do you have it hard compared to the starving African child or the homosexual who was hanged because he liked men?

It has NOTHING to do with perspective and you know it. If you're going to pretend that you were simply 'stating a fact' then this conversation has hit a complete dead end. I know for a fact that you're not stupid, so I have a hard time believing that you would go around saying things that are so obvious that there's no need to mention it.

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

-snip-

You're right, I'll let N.D. respond and I'll withdraw from this. It's a pretty far derailment on my part.

• Audiophile likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

I've seen similar cases to this nearby where I live and I think it's absolutely disgusting to do such thing - Race shouldn't be taken into account, how good you can do the job is what should matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users