Discrimination.

113 replies to this topic
EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Have you or someone you know experienced a really bad case of discrimination? Would you say something if you saw someone being discriminated? 

Here's something that happened to me a while back.

I got into a big argument with a security guard at my college for smudging at school. It was for a project demonstrating something from my culture AND I had permission from my teacher who was the head of the Aboriginal Stream program. Traditionally, in my culture we don't put the embers out when we smudge, we let them burn out. So after class I began to walk towards the main entrance to leave and the security guard came sprinting after me! This white woman was so freaked out and screamed at me to put it out. Me and my friend explained to her what it was, what it was for, that we had permission, that in my culture we wait for it to burn out, etc. She kept saying NO NO NO and even attempted to grab it away from me but luckily stopped herself... It was witnessed by another student, a white girl too, who was just passing by and she also went on the explain that there were no health issues that the smell of the sage would harm. But still this woman ignored all of us and led me out the opposite door of the school since I wouldn't put it out. I never got an apology from her. I only got one from the college who said they'd make sure everyone is educated on this sort of stuff. They said that the woman/security guard has taken it upon herself to learn more about Native culture and that they see her reading news articles and everything on it. HA! I highly doubt that was ever true. I was just so mad that the stupid security guard didn't say sorry to my face herself when I had every right to express a part of my culture and told her that I have permission too! 
  • Detective Phelps and MarshalMoo like this

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Death to whitey.

• Moonshield and Frank Brown like this

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

What exactly were you doing?

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't think that's discrimination, just a misunderstanding. 

And I'm a white male, I'm never discriminated against.

Except with Affirmative Action.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

death to the cishet patriarchy

Actually yeah, I was discriminated against a lot when I was living on the street. Most people automatically think you're some sort of mentally ill drug addict and treat you like garbage when all you're trying to do is get a job.

In all fairness, they were half right.

• Crossed likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I some ocassion in the school, not anything too exagerated anyway. Always related to the moronic Basque nationalists.

First off, I didn't study every subject in Basque (I know talking that useless garbage anyway), so nazionalist teachers discrimined me as well as other students who neither did in form of being told that we couldn't assist to some conference cause we were studying in Spanish (even when they did know we talked Basque), having sh*ttier school material (for some "odd" reason my group almost always used to have the oldest material), being told to talk in Basque by some teacher and propaganda and more bullsh*t like that.

Also, I remember once when I was in the primary school, in the cafeteria, discussing with some dudes about our nationality. I said I was Spanish, cause like it or not, the Basque Country is Span and our ID card and passport said it so. So one of the nazionalist monitors heard and later grounded me for saying so. f*cking morons, I was like ten or eleven years old at most and I had more brain than them... I love how "democratic" they are.

So basically, if you aren't an idiot who lives in a parallel world and behave as such, you risk to be discrimined in some places.

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Could have been a misunderstanding, but I just felt like she really didn't give a sh*t about who I was or my culture and thought she had every right to deny me it, when in fact she didn't. I get that she's a security guard and it's her job to prevent any signs of danger or whatever, but I calmly told her everything and she was just so ignorant and stupid.  Also, smudging is when you take either sweetgrass or sage and light the tip of it on fire so it begins to smolder and a nice fragrant smell comes from the smoke and you put it in something to hold it like a shell and use an eagle feather to fan the smoke towards you or a person. It's cleansing and refreshing. 

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 PM Edited by Audiophile, 06 February 2014 - 08:22 PM.

I love it when misunderstandings become discrimination. She didn't say anything insulting to you, did she? It sounds like a misunderstanding and lack of listening on her part since you did try to explain to her. If she'd only listened, she probably would have realized. Sounds like she had tunnel vision, all she saw was a safety concern and didn't care what the reason was. It could have been anyone.

If the two people involved aren't white, it's always discrimination, eh?

Let me tell you something, I was standing patiently waiting for the bus once and an aboriginal woman came up to me, got in my face and yelled at me that I am white and don't belong in this country. Hurtling various other insults. I didn't say a single word to her, I just stood there quietly and waited for her to finish. All I wanted was to get on the bus and to go home. When we all did finally get on the bus, she continued to give dirty looks to anyone who was white and if someone sat next to her, she would insult them.

It's rudeness and her hating on me just because I happen to be white. I personally have done nothing to her and she acted this way towards me. Yet if I say anything, I am going to get yelled at and honestly I have no desire to complain about something like this because yeah, I know white people did a lot of bad sh*t. But you can't hold all future generations accountable forever. You need to move on at some point or this cycle will always continue.

Rudeness is rudeness no matter what the race. I wish everyone would just respect each other.

• 018361, RedDagger, Osho and 1 other like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

You can't can't accuse someone of not caring about something they're oblivious to. That's just bizarre.
In the example you described, I wouldn't know that what you were referring to is a cultural phenomenon.

Discrimination has to be wilful.
  • RedDagger and Audiophile like this

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

You can't can't accuse someone of not caring about something they're oblivious to. That's just bizarre.
In the example you described, I wouldn't know that what you were referring to is a cultural phenomenon.

Discrimination has to be wilful.

You're discriminating against what counts as discrimination. You're literally Hitler.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I love it when misunderstandings become discrimination. She didn't say anything insulting to you, did she? It sounds like a misunderstanding and lack of listening on her part since you did try to explain to her. If she'd only listened, she probably would have realized. Sounds like she had tunnel vision, all she saw was a safety concern and didn't care what the reason was. It could have been anyone.

If the two people involved aren't white, it's always discrimination, eh?

Let me tell you something, I was standing patiently waiting for the bus once and an aboriginal woman came up to me, got in my face and yelled at me that I am white and don't belong in this country. Hurtling various other insults. I didn't say a single word to her, I just stood there quietly and waited for her to finish. All I wanted was to get on the bus and to go home. When we all did finally get on the bus, she continued to give dirty looks to anyone who was white and if someone sat next to her, she would insult them.

It's rudeness and her hating on me just because I happen to be white. I personally have done nothing to her and she acted this way towards me. Yet if I say anything, I am going to get yelled at and honestly I have no desire to complain about something like this because yeah, I know white people did a lot of bad sh*t. But you can't hold all future generations accountable forever. You need to move on at some point or this cycle will always continue.

Rudeness is rudeness no matter what the race. I wish everyone would just respect each other.

It's also pretty sad when some white people assume POC always hold what happened in the past to their ancestors against the generation of today. At what point did I make any implication that I hold anything against an entire generation? You keep saying, "You can't" or "You need" when you're just assuming I feel the same way as that woman because I am also Native.(I'm also white and chinese fyi) Chances are she was drunk or high on something because sadly, a lot of native people do fall into that cycle. However, I am the LAST person to hold anything against anyone let alone something their ancestors did, not them. I also do not believe we own the land. That's a ridiculous viewpoint because I believe it's no one's right to say they own a part of the earth.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

I am not assuming every single person holds it against white people.

Where did I say that? I certainly know that not everyone does. If it came across that way in my post, I apologize. I should have made it more clear since I know people tend to laser focus on things like this if they come across a certain way. I don't know if you were just generalizing in response to my post, or you were aiming that at me. If you weren't aiming it at me, again, I apologize.

I don't care who you are or where you are from, if you respect me, I will respect you. Like I said, rudeness is rudeness no matter what the race or gender. There is no excuse, in my opinion.

And yeah, I know that cycle. I am studying law and in one of my classes we examined the case of an aboriginal man who lived a life of crime and to mitigate his sentence, said it was because he was born an aboriginal and thus forced into it by the life he was given. So he wanted to be judged by his community rather than a courtroom.

I have never been a believer that anyone forces you into anything when it comes to drugs or alcohol, to crime. It's always your choice, but I do understand a lot of people who have difficult lives turn to that to cope.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

One time I got discriminated against on basis of my post count. The wounds were searing and cut deep, but I've learned to move on and ignore discriminatory behaviour. I am a cock gobbler and I like to gobble cock.

• gnad.1992 and MarshalMoo like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

One time I got discriminated against on basis of my post count. The wounds were searing and cut deep, but I've learned to move on and ignore discriminatory behaviour. I am a cock gobbler and I like to gobble cock.

Maybe if you stop posting that same sentence at the end of all your posts, no one will target you. ;)

• WBaker and Black & White like this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

It was this part, " I know white people did a lot of bad sh*t. But you can't hold all future generations accountable forever. You need to move on at some point or this cycle will always continue." I didn't like your use of "you" because it made it seem like you think I feel this way, that's all. Also, I will take back using that example of discrimination, but more of cultural ignorance. She was just so rude and kept saying no and that she didn't care and because of that, it felt like she was specifically discriminating against me because of my culture that she couldn't give a sh*t about. There is a general stereotype that native kids cause trouble where I live and it could also have influenced why she didn't want to hear me out. I don't know though.  Also, I don't think a lot of people realize why Native people fall into that cycle of drug and alcohol abuse. Some people have that mindset that it your own fault if you get addicted, you brought it upon yourself, etc... but it's so much more than that. Not just for Native people, drug-addicts in general. There is always a reason, not an excuse. :/ I mean, losing my own mother and grandmother to that kind of sh*t and people tell me they brought it upon themselves or they call native people stupid chugs... it's f*cked up because they don't know that person's history. :/ 

• 018361 likes this

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:08 PM Edited by Black & White, 06 February 2014 - 09:08 PM.

What exactly were you doing?

Burning a piece of paper, I think.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:10 PM Edited by Audiophile, 06 February 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Yeah, like I said, it doesn't sound like she was acting that way because you are native and she doesn't care so thus is discriminating against you.

Sounds like she was doing her job, it was a safety issue in her eyes and thus she had tunnel vision in the situation. It's not like she knew in advance you had permission to do this, they really should have let the security guards know to avoid something like this since it's their training to take care of anything that is a safety concern.

And people say that to anyone, like you said. Take anyone who dies of addiction, you get a lot of people who will say they brought it upon themselves through their actions. I understand why this feels personal to you, but it honestly isn't discrimination. I suppose it depends on how they say it, too.

As for what I typed, yeah I didn't mean you as in you specifically. I thought that would have been clear.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

It was this part, " I know white people did a lot of bad sh*t. But you can't hold all future generations accountable forever. You need to move on at some point or this cycle will always continue." I didn't like your use of "you" because it made it seem like you think I feel this way, that's all. Also, I will take back using that example of discrimination, but more of cultural ignorance. She was just so rude and kept saying no and that she didn't care and because of that, it felt like she was specifically discriminating against me because of my culture that she couldn't give a sh*t about.

This might just be me, but I'm ignorant about Native American cultures, so if I was a security guard, I don't think the first thing that would be going through my head would be, "Oh, that's a native tradition, I'll let it slide." 

• Audiophile likes this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:58 PM Edited by EphemeralStar, 06 February 2014 - 10:01 PM.

It was this part, " I know white people did a lot of bad sh*t. But you can't hold all future generations accountable forever. You need to move on at some point or this cycle will always continue." I didn't like your use of "you" because it made it seem like you think I feel this way, that's all. Also, I will take back using that example of discrimination, but more of cultural ignorance. She was just so rude and kept saying no and that she didn't care and because of that, it felt like she was specifically discriminating against me because of my culture that she couldn't give a sh*t about.

This might just be me, but I'm ignorant about Native American cultures, so if I was a security guard, I don't think the first thing that would be going through my head would be, "Oh, that's a native tradition, I'll let it slide." 

Considering the college itself is known for it's aboriginal stream program, is on "reserve" land of a tribe I forgot the name of, has a large gathering room intended for the use of meetings and aboriginal ceremonies, etc, etc.......I think the security lady should have been more aware, but that was the colleges fault. Her rudeness and how she dealt with the situation however was not excusable. 

And no, Audiophile. It is not clear when you use the word YOU towards a person that you don't actually mean them. 

• theadmiral likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

I think I remember your thread from before. You thought a speaker was discriminating against you and nearly every response in the thread, you laser focused on schemantics and took things literally rather than how they are used in speech by most native English speakers. And you also didn't give more details about the incident? I think that was your thread. 

Sorry, next time I reply to you I'll make sure to make it so clear that it can't be misconstrued for anything other than what it is meant to mean. YOU can also be used when talking about a given situation. Have you ever been to a conference where a speaker is talking about something and he uses the word "you" i.e. "when you go home", "when you go to the store". That's something everyone does and it's a generalization. That's how I was using that word in that sentence, I wasn't directing it at you specifically. Fair enough, probably not the best usage in my previous post but it's a forum...

I really don't know how else to explain that, I am not as eloquent as some of our other members. 

I still say the school should have informed the security guards so they knew in advance this would be going on. That way it's not taken for a safety issue, after all, it's their job to deal with safety issues and that's what this woman tried to do. I'm sure at the time she thought she was doing the right thing but in relation to her job, not having to do anything with your culture or discriminating against you. 

I'll leave it to the rest of you guys to discuss. Hopefully this won't turn into a debate about grammar or the usage of the word "you". 

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

EphemeralStar, I pretty clearly understood what Audiophile meant when he used YOU in his sentences. It's pretty common for native English speakers to do that. As for this incident, I've noticed in this thread and other threads, you take anything as a sign of discrimination towards you. Someone just acting rude to you as they would to anyone else is turned into discrimination in your eyes. You need to take it easy, not everyone is out to get you. Some people are just douches and they are douches to everyone, no matter race or heritage.

THE GHETTO SAMURAI
  • THE GHETTO SAMURAI

Diet Water Please ?

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Well I haven'y been discriminated that much but i do remember this one time during the dance unit in P.E class that happened last year. We were lined up to get a partner and this white girl was the next person in line. Theoretically she'll be my partner but nope. She refused to be my dance partner and insisted to dance with the white guy behind me. I was like WTF and told her why don't you want to be my partner ? She was like I don't really want to be stuck dancing with you. I was like whats wrong with me ? She said nothing, just you're skin tone. When she said that I was soo pissed, but I didn't showed it and kept it in my self. I was just like ohh well then here's the white guy you want to dance with and then I switched with him for his partner.His partner wasn't like the bitch who was in front of him and was kind to me. She was a Native American chick and also she was my first girlfriend that I had. But yea, didn't know that racism still exists and where I live its really diverse too as you can see a bunch of any kind of race here, Black, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Mexican, etc. That was the only time where discrimination hit me inside but the other times I'm like w.e and I'll move on. 

• EphemeralStar likes this

EphemeralStar
  • EphemeralStar

fkyou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

I think I remember your thread from before. You thought a speaker was discriminating against you and nearly every response in the thread, you laser focused on schemantics and took things literally rather than how they are used in speech by most native English speakers. And you also didn't give more details about the incident? I think that was your thread. 

Sorry, next time I reply to you I'll make sure to make it so clear that it can't be misconstrued for anything other than what it is meant to mean. YOU can also be used when talking about a given situation. Have you ever been to a conference where a speaker is talking about something and he uses the word "you" i.e. "when you go home", "when you go to the store". That's something everyone does and it's a generalization. That's how I was using that word in that sentence, I wasn't directing it at you specifically. Fair enough, probably not the best usage in my previous post but it's a forum...

I really don't know how else to explain that, I am not as eloquent as some of our other members. 

I still say the school should have informed the security guards so they knew in advance this would be going on. That way it's not taken for a safety issue, after all, it's their job to deal with safety issues and that's what this woman tried to do. I'm sure at the time she thought she was doing the right thing but in relation to her job, not having to do anything with your culture or discriminating against you. 

I'll leave it to the rest of you guys to discuss. Hopefully this won't turn into a debate about grammar or the usage of the word "you". 

English is my first language, and I still read that as referring to me, so sue me. I've also already stated that this was a poor example of discrimination more so of cultural ignorance so you don't have to keep repeating yourself on that. 

EphemeralStar, I pretty clearly understood what Audiophile meant when he used YOU in his sentences. It's pretty common for native English speakers to do that. As for this incident, I've noticed in this thread and other threads, you take anything as a sign of discrimination towards you. Someone just acting rude to you as they would to anyone else is turned into discrimination in your eyes. You need to take it easy, not everyone is out to get you. Some people are just douches and they are douches to everyone, no matter race or heritage.

What thread are you talking about that I take anything as a sign of discrimination towards me? You should have quoted me on this before you decided to post this, because now I'm genuinely curious as to what you're referring to. 

• theadmiral likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:16 AM Edited by Raavi, 07 February 2014 - 12:24 AM.

I'm trying my hardest to find something that remotely resembles discrimination here, but there isn't anything. This was just a rent-a-cop doing her job, nothing more nothing less. 

• RedDagger, Audiophile and Average white guy like this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

Lady saw fire and smoke, Lady shat her pants over Fire and Smoke, nothing discriminating about that.

• Audiophile and Average white guy like this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

I've been targeted for being a white male before and I don't think that's "reverse discrimination" instead of plain old regular discrimination.

I worked for Walgreen's and they have a policy of promoting and hiring minorities for the tax breaks the company gets for them--or so I was told by the store's XO (2nd in charge). I have never been treated so poorly at a place of employment and that's the only job I just walked out on.

Discrimination is sh*tty no matter what your skin tone is. I don't mean to claim this is some great ordeal or make a big fuss about it. I have no doubt this is trivial compared to what some experience. Just sharing :)
  • 018361 and Audiophile like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

Discrimination is sh*tty no matter what your skin tone is. I don't mean to claim this is some great ordeal or make a big fuss about it. I have no doubt this is trivial compared to what some experience. Just sharing :)

shut your god damn, overprivileged, self-righteous, entitled, white, Anglo-Saxon, mouth and go back to controlling the worlds money supply you god-fearing, fear mongering, war starting, Colonialist devil.

you people make me sick.

• Moonshield, Melchior, Finn 7 five 11 and 1 other like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Yeah, white males have it really rough. LOL! I am a cock gobbler and I like to gobble cock.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

shut your god damn, overprivileged, self-righteous, entitled, white, Anglo-Saxon, mouth and go back to controlling the worlds money supply you god-fearing, fear mongering, war starting, Colonialist devil.

you people make me sick.

Wait... was that an ironic post or a serious one? The lack of a winky faced emoticon almost makes me think you were serious but the discriminatory message makes me think you're joking.

I'm withholding the world's money supply from you just in case you were serious.

Yeah, white males have it really rough. LOL! I am a cock gobbler and I like to gobble cock.

It's very hard. Tell me more about your cock gobbling.
  • THE GHETTO SAMURAI, Audiophile and Average white guy like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

yeah we're just f*ckin with you.

but on the off chance that you do control the worlds monetary supply, I'd like to take this moment to mention how good you look.

have you lost weight?

• WBaker likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users