Catchup on vs off, the expert opinion

73 replies to this topic
Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

I know people have very strong opinions about catchup and I completely agree in public rooms. However in private rooms amongst friends having it on keeps the race fun throughout the entire race and you get much more of a struggle at the end which is good for a lot of laughs.

The other thing is that I've noticed despite catchup being on, it's still the same people that typically win.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

I know people have very strong opinions about catchup and I completely agree in public rooms. However in private rooms amongst friends having it on keeps the race fun throughout the entire race and you get much more of a struggle at the end which is good for a lot of laughs.

The other thing is that I've noticed despite catchup being on, it's still the same people that typically win.

Ya..you might have a point when racing with friends... But still, its easier to just slow down or wait for them to catch up.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

I kinda don't like doing that, it feels wrong and when you lose the race because you make a mistake after letting people catch up you curse yourself for waiting. :p

With catchup on you don't get that feeling that you were responsible for your own loss.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

I kinda don't like doing that, it feels wrong and when you lose the race because you make a mistake after letting people catch up you curse yourself for waiting. :p

With catchup on you don't get that feeling that you were responsible for your own loss.

I guess to each their own.. It personally annoys me when i hear my engine start to to down shift.

Maybe its just me, but i enjoy the race part not the winning part.  I love close races where everyone is racing clean and passing because they are driving perfectly.   Then of course the other problem starts to show its face, which is slip streaming messing up my speed.

R* really needs to add a slip stream on/off option.  Because for me, 50% of my wipes come from fighting with slip stream.  Getting that sudden boost of speed at the wrong time either causes players to wipe or slow down even more. :(

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

You know racing with catchup on has done wonders for my ability to manage slipstream effectively in races. I even make fun of the guys I race with cause they always blame slip stream for missing corners or bumping people, at this point you can only use that excuse so many times before you just have to learn to drive better. :p

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

You know racing with catchup on has done wonders for my ability to manage slipstream effectively in races. I even make fun of the guys I race with cause they always blame slip stream for missing corners or bumping people, at this point you can only use that excuse so many times before you just have to learn to drive better. :p

Well to be honest slip steam does not really work correctly.

I've caught slip streams from players around 2 corners and a miles away constantly.  Then when im right behind players, the right position for slip stream to actually work.. Nothing happens.

When slip stream kicks in right when you are slowing down for a turn, theres nothing you can do if your at the traction threshold for that car at that moment..  You're done.  The only way to have prevented that was to slow down even earlier, but since the slip stream kicked in after the point of no return well...  Sreeeech or slaaaam.

Its hard to be a better driver when my speed is doubling while im using my brake.    Which is why slip stream needs a toggle option..   Id rather have a nitro boost for clean passes instead of random slip steams kicking in and random moments f*cking with my speed.

• coach_wargo likes this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

lol oh I've been through all of that but trust me, there are ways to manage slip stream properly.

I do know about it not working properly sometimes though and that I think is due to lag, nothing to be done about that unfortunately.

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:45 PM Edited by serimos6, 07 February 2014 - 03:50 PM.

I and most of the members in my crew never use catchup because it doesn't make for a "clean" race since the easy catch-up ability makes people say "fck it" and ram whoever might be in first at the time. 

And i've found that even with catchup off you can still catch up from last if you're talented enough! Imo catchup is completely useless and just helps ruin the gameplay experience for actually racing clean.

Look at it this way, if a racer is in 1st and doesn't crash the ENITRE race and takes every turn perfect, doesn't he/she deserve to win as long there isn't someone "stalking" them in 2nd? When catchup is off it allows for the race to filter who is better than others in taking turns, dodging traffic, etc. and whoever comes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, is basically then representative of who actually did the best driving that race. 

When catchup is on none of that matters, because someone who f*cked up on 5 turns can still weasel their way to 1st easily.

• lRushdown and 1CrazyFool like this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

lol oh I've been through all of that but trust me, there are ways to manage slip stream properly.

I do know about it not working properly sometimes though and that I think is due to lag, nothing to be done about that unfortunately.

Well to each their own.  I can't manage sudden burst of speed when im slowing down. I just can't since i no longer have the traction or road to handle it.  Sure in straight aways, where it actually makes sense.  Thats not an issue for me.

But in tight races where, where racers are taking it easy and digging through turns im forced to slooooow waaaaaay down to stop riding up on their ass.   That to me makes no sense, especially when it keeps turning on and off f*cking with my speed.  Making me think more, having to wrestle with it constantly.

Just like DOC telling Marty he won't have enough road to hit 88 miles per hour..      Maybe he could slip stream that a random car going 40 miles per hour and hit 88 in half a second.  Thats where slip stream messes me up.  Since it makes no sense.

In public games, where i barely care about what happens to other racers il just ride the slip stream right through most racers when it starts to f*ck with me.  But with my race crew it makes me race like sh*t because i don't want to hit anyone.

serimos6
  • serimos6

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Well to each their own.  I can't manage sudden burst of speed when im slowing down. I just can't since i no longer have the traction or road to handle it.  Sure in straight aways, where it actually makes sense.  Thats not an issue for me.

But in tight races where, where racers are taking it easy and digging through turns im forced to slooooow waaaaaay down to stop riding up on their ass.   That to me makes no sense, especially when it keeps turning on and off f*cking with my speed.  Making me think more, having to wrestle with it constantly.

Just like DOC telling Marty he won't have enough road to hit 88 miles per hour..      Maybe he could slip stream that a random car going 40 miles per hour and hit 88 in half a second.  Thats where slip stream messes me up.  Since it makes no sense.

In public games, where i barely care about what happens to other racers il just ride the slip stream right through most racers when it starts to f*ck with me.  But with my race crew it makes me race like sh*t because i don't want to hit anyone.

My clean racing crew has had a lot of time to understand and learn how to work with slipstream and I feel like it's pretty easy to do. If you leave a space of around 2-4 feet from your vehicle and the one in front of you the slip won't activate, and you can keep a pretty orderly line right behind them. But if slipstream is activated (sometimes you won't see the slip line but you can hear the noise that signals its activation) just remember to slow down more than usual. It won't make you go "slower" by any means, infact you'd be slowing down just the normal way you would if you didn't have slipstream, only you're exaggerating the brake when you have it so it doesn't rocket you into the person you're trying to overtake. 

But even then, just keep this in mind when there are turns upcoming, or when the road is too narrow. If you get a good straight away that you can overtake on, then by all means, use that slip to your upmost advantage. 

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yeah it isn't uncommon for me to let go of the gas completely when slip streaming behind someone I don't want to pass. I tend to choose my passing moments and generally hang back in corners.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:06 PM Edited by Vooodu, 07 February 2014 - 04:08 PM.

My clean racing crew has had a lot of time to understand and learn how to work with slipstream and I feel like it's pretty easy to do. If you leave a space of around 2-4 feet from your vehicle and the one in front of you the slip won't activate, and you can keep a pretty orderly line right behind them. But if slipstream is activated (sometimes you won't see the slip line but you can hear the noise that signals its activation) just remember to slow down more than usual. It won't make you go "slower" by any means, infact you'd be slowing down just the normal way you would if you didn't have slipstream, only you're exaggerating the brake when you have it so it doesn't rocket you into the person you're trying to overtake. 

But even then, just keep this in mind when there are turns upcoming, or when the road is too narrow. If you get a good straight away that you can overtake on, then by all means, use that slip to your upmost advantage. 

Meh i wish is was that easy for me.  But i just can't stand it.

I don't like my speed being messed with such an extreme way constantly.  I like it consistent like in GTA 4.

Id rather it be a toggle option.  I don't want to wrestle of think about slip stream ever when i race.

coach_wargo
  • coach_wargo

The One Who Knocks

• D1RTY12
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

I have to agree with Voodu about the slip stream. It's a pain in the ass and nonsense to boot. It's more of an immersion killer than catchup. A real life slip stream doesn't occur on a winding road a low speeds, but there I am being caught in a f*cking vortex in a race like Thrills in the Hills. A nitro that builds up and can be used at my discresion (like KERS or DRS in F1) would be favorable.

Of course all of these complaints are pointless because R* didn't design the game for real racing. THey wanted it to be a cluster mess of lulz. Basically they planned on everyone doing GTA races with catchup on.

• poklane likes this

dzian
  • dzian

Trick

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

My simple viewnis catchup should boost losing cars speed not slow down the leading car.

If im in front and drive perfectly at top whack I should be difficult to catch. But slowing me down just makes it easy.

At least if ypu speed up losing cars they still need to drive with proficiencyto nail you. Where slowing the leader down seems to make it easy for anyonento catch you no matter how many bumps they have.

Hope that makes sense
  • coach_wargo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users