Catchup on vs off, the expert opinion

73 replies to this topic
G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Why is this even a discussion? More importantly why should the person in first be penalized for being in well .. first, this is a race. This option only affects one person and one person only.

• MikaCuoco likes this

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

The time i had a 20 second lead on "Dipping In", didn't mess up ANY, yet was still ran down from behind by a lesser driver at the very end(just to spin me out before the finish line), sorta turned me off, from catch-up being on.

That was in the very first week of GTA-O.

If you are serious about "racing", then you are adamant about turning it OFF before races. <---- Expert opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't consider you an "expert" seeing as how you lost one race in the first week of GTAVO and you're still complaining about it...

EarthboundMysfit
  • EarthboundMysfit

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 PM Edited by EarthboundMysfit, 06 February 2014 - 10:27 PM.

The time i had a 20 second lead on "Dipping In", didn't mess up ANY, yet was still ran down from behind by a lesser driver at the very end(just to spin me out before the finish line), sorta turned me off, from catch-up being on.

That was in the very first week of GTA-O.

If you are serious about "racing", then you are adamant about turning it OFF before races. <---- Expert opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't consider you an "expert" seeing as how you lost one race in the first week of GTAVO and you're still complaining about it...
... Yeah, due to catch-up.

It's called using real world experience to prove a point. Hardly "complaining". Haven't been in a race with catch-up on since, so that's why i went back in time, but "personally" i think you would be too stupid to understand that.

If you are on PS3 and would like to test your luck vs. this "amateur", catch-up off, i'll gladly give you a few DNF'es.

Edit: (30 minutes of silence later)...Personally I know you are scared of this expert. (0_-)

SteveNYC81
  • SteveNYC81

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Catch up on is ridiculous, anyone with 4000+ races shouldn't need that sort of crutch. I'm no where near that many road races, and I never join any race air, road, or sea, with it on. What's the point of having a fully modified car if your going to set the race, as to where a governor is basically set on who ever is leading the race.

coach_wargo
  • coach_wargo

D1rty Rummy

• D1RTY12
  • United-States
  • Best Snapmatic [Vehicle] 2013

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

If I'm racing with friends who don't have fully modded custom cars we will leave catch-up on. Otherwise it's always off.

If you want to actually test your skills run the races with customs off and catch-up off. That way it's all about the driver not the car.

• esato, WBaker and NorthernHawk like this

heybud
  • heybud

Peon

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

I hate being in the lead and feeling my car lose power like its not even getting into the highest gear. If anything, catchup should be coded so the cars not in first go faster to catchup, not the 1st place car loses speed. It takes the excitement out of finally getting to first, and then slowing down for no reason

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Boss

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'll try to keep it short.

Catup up=most retarded feature EVER in any GTA game so far.

coach_wargo
  • coach_wargo

D1rty Rummy

• D1RTY12
  • United-States
  • Best Snapmatic [Vehicle] 2013

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Catup up= 2nd most retarded feature EVER in any GTA game so far.

Fixed!

Free roam tanks is number one.  (because that's how low level street criminals roll)

• Megakillertron likes this

Rezard
  • Rezard

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM Edited by Rezard, 06 February 2014 - 10:46 PM.

^^^  I'm glad to see most people share my view, on Catchup, generally.

I can always choose to avoid a race with it on, but randomly enabling is BS.

On tanks:  We are barely "3-bit criminals" in GTA Online.  Remember Franklin being one when he was jackin' an Obey 9F..?  We can't even flip cars that hot.  So, yeah--  totally makes sense that we'd roll the streets in tanks.

And honestly--  you should have wanted stars non-stop when driving public streets in a war machine.  The LSPD sure has some strange logic....

A guy bumps into a cop on the sidewalk:  "Freeze!" as he guns him down.

A guy drives by in a tank:  "Good day, officer."  "Good day to you, citizen."

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm all for Ketchup on my burgers.
But when I race. I leave it off.
It's bad enough with the vacuum cleaner like slipstream ;)

lordemperor
  • lordemperor

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

I'm all for Ketchup on my burgers.
But when I race. I leave it off.
It's bad enough with the vacuum cleaner like slipstream ;)

Ugh the slipstream. So buggy. I rage when I come out of a corner right behind someone and get no slipstream for the whole straight, then it kicks in before the next corner.

H8GodMode
  • H8GodMode

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

i hate catchup. its like the god-mode of racing.

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Boss

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

Catup up= 2nd most retarded feature EVER in any GTA game so far.

Fixed!

Free roam tanks is number one.  (because that's how low level street criminals roll)

Yeah that to. and not adding a friendly fire off lobby.

Accendo
  • Accendo

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

If you're racing good racers then there's no reason to use catchup to have fun, competitive races. I'm no pro gamer but I consider myself to be a solid racer and I've had some crazy clean battles for first with some insanely fast drivers on my own mountain courses. It's those races that make up for all the guys that ram you intentionally.

I will pwn you newbs
  • I will pwn you newbs

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

Nothing about catchup is a pro. Unless you aren't any good. You gotta use your own catchup. I played long haul 2 hold the ketchup and I built a pretty substantial lead. Then as I made a turn too quickly and went off into a gully. I get passed but get back on the course. I'm a pretty good distance behind him at this point (far enough to not slip stream) I just kept hoping I was taking corners faster than him and that's how I catch up and eventually pass him and win. i know cool story right

Hoosierdaddy76
  • Hoosierdaddy76

Are friends electric?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Catch-up (or computer assistance, rubber banding, or whatever you want to call it) is intended as a means of allowing inferior players to compete with better ones. Nothing more, nothing less. At one time, it was an option in almost every game that could be turned off. Now most developers try to conceal it in an attempt to soothe the egos of poor players.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

Ive said this before

catchup off usually ends up with you driving the race by yourself

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

Most people are missing the OPs point. On in general racing obviously blows but I can see his point about it enlivening a race with friends. That said, I'll only race with it on in special circumstances so I'm not about to test his idea. Ruining the immersion is a good way of putting it.

mikeplugers91
  • mikeplugers91

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Just leave catchup off simply because the good driver the one thats in front the one that did not make a mistake is being punished cause he drives good and is slowed down.... I am in the crew APEX STALKERS and we have it always off we drive clean we dont ram so its like a real race so why if your leading you are slowing down so that the guys in the back should catch up and overtake you that is just not fair if you driving with fair players its not the best driver wins with catchup off its just a manipulate race and if you win with catchup on i dont think you can feel so happy when you crashed the guy in front has a 10 second lead witch is a big lead but after couple of seconds you are already on his tail i could be never happy with that i am happy if i win on my own strenght if i drive a flawless race or even if i make a mistake and nr1 is seconds aheah i drive to him on my own strength and if i win that you feel like you accomplished something so for me catchup is a no go
  • Thr33X likes this

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I hate it when I'm first, because the car is way too slow. It's very annoying to feel like behind some old crap wheel when driving a supercar, and I hate the fact that any noob could overtake me.

But of course I like it when I'm not first, because it's very usefull then.

That's all. I just hate to lose a race.

1CrazyFool
  • 1CrazyFool

More Than Mortal

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Catchup = Off. Traffic = Off. Silliest thing since the games slipstream that I have heard kicking in when a car is over 1 checkpoint ahead... or it kicks in just to turn the steering wheel off. Drive on merit not given an advantage over everyone else. And traffic on just adds a random element that detracts from pure racing skill.

• EarthboundMysfit and Thr33X like this

JiNX77
  • JiNX77

Spanakopita!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I just can't decide.

ketchup-or-catsup-the-simpsons.gif

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Cons

If you are in a slower car You still are slowed greatly

Ex: In my Infernus against Adders the game still makes me go at a snail's pace even though if Catch up was off thier cars would eventually catch up.

You infernus is only 0.1 sec slower than an Adder! Ya the Adder has a higher top end but that would only help in races like The Commute. 

tolkaNo
  • tolkaNo

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Prefer it off

But then again sometimes you spawn at the very back of the pack in a 16 player race and you've got no god damn chance of ever winning if catch up is off
  • TheHammer likes this

Goodsport92
  • Goodsport92

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

Yes, there is ONLY ONE WAY TO RACE WHEN USING CATCHUP!

And that is to position yourself behind the front crowd and snatch the win in the last second, or just drive really well if it's a challenging track.

The gameplan changes when Ketchup is enabled, and if you don't abuse the system.. Then you only be number 2 forever and ever!

Gran Feft Orto
  • Gran Feft Orto

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I think that catchup is a good idea in the sense that it allows you to remain in the race when some absolute moron decides to ram you off the track. You can even manage to catch them up and exact some satisfying revenge should you wish.

But to punish the leader is unfair. The amount of times ive had a massive lead on The Commute, only to slow down completely and be overtaken by several cars on the final straight is ridiculous. Sometimes you even get a cheeky nudge and end up finishing near the back.

It should work by giving those players at the back (who have been taken out for example) a speed boost to catch up with the rest of the pack.

lRushdown
  • lRushdown

HERO

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:45 PM Edited by lRushdown, 07 February 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Catch-up punishes people for racing well.  That's bullsh*t, regardless of whether it makes races (artificially) closer.  I mean I'm sure basketball games would be closer if the losing team's baskets were all worth 3 points (or more accurately, the winning team's baskets were all worth 1 point), but I think we can all agree that's ridiculous.  Catch-up is the same thing.

tolkaNo
  • tolkaNo

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

I think catch up should be enabled for the first 20-30 seconds of the race to give people who got screwed by the initial clusterf*ck a chance and then disabled for the rest of the race

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:36 PM Edited by Vooodu, 07 February 2014 - 02:37 PM.

For the record.. Catch up only matters in races where high speeds are held of long periods of time.  In most races with alot of turns or traffic, high speeds won't factor in as much.   Infact the catch up slow down kind of helps that lead car maintain a nice cruise speed since he can use his brakes less.

IN races like the commute, route 68, etc.. Or any race where you spend 90% or more of the race with the gas held down, thats really where catch up really brakes the game.

Thats why i never race any long straight races with catch up.. NEVER.. f*ckIN EVER. Its a waste of time.

On a side not, does anyone know how to glitch catch up off?  I know wheeelies on bikes help null catch up.

MikaCuoco
  • MikaCuoco

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I think catch up should be Off, As G37 said "Why should the person in first be penalized for being in well .. first, this is a race"

One time I was racing in Down the drain (5 laps, Catch up On) and as usual at the start everyone rams each other and total carnage of which I skillfully (Or luckily) got through only to cross the line at the end of the first lap seeing no white dots anywhere, I then realized that I had almost one whole laps lead, At the end of the second lap I look behind me to see a car which has caught me up and is going alot faster than me (on the straight) It then picks up my slipstream from really far back and at twice the speed rams into me taking me out, At this point I think Ok I'm going to catch you up now and ram you (I only ram the player that rammed me, Revenge) only not to be able to catch him up?, WTF catch up is on, shouldn't he be slowed down now? no matter what I couldn't catch him (My car was fully tuned with everything so it wasn't that) It seems that it always works in other peoples favor insted of mine.

Sorry for long post, I don't race when catch up is on now unless it's a track without any long straights,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users