Catchup on vs off, the expert opinion

73 replies to this topic
Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Lately most of my online racing has been in private lobbies with people that have up to 4000 races under their belts. They're very capable racers in every sense of the word. The veteran of the group likes to leave catchup on and we've had a bit of a discussion about this. I personally didn't like it, I thought it was too much of a handicap for the lead player while he insisted that it makes for boring races.

So we tested his theory and as much as I hate to admit it he's absolutely correct.

Yes it does suck to get to the front of the pack with a nice lead only to see it diminish in front of you every second. However it's also keeps the races exciting because you've almost always got a battle going on at the front of the pack and it certainly is enjoyable to know when you're taken out at the start of a race you still have a chance of catching up.

I'm going to list some pro's and con's with having catchup turned on.

Con

- you lose the lead very easily.

- It's difficult for those in the back because their vehicles are so much faster.

Pro

- It does make for some thrilling races more often.

- You're race isn't over when the noob takes you out at the beginning of the race.

- Your car is much easier to handle when you're in the lead cause it's slower.

Ultimately, I think catchup is starting to grow on me. I really hated it at first but once we turned it off, races turned into marathons where you'd basically be racing on your own the entire time. On top of that you have to devise strategies to counter catchup, this has led me to become the shortcut expert in our little group of friends. Finding shortcuts in races has actually completely changed the way races are raced for us as a result. I've learned a LOT about how to race in the last mile to the finish too.

I still win about as often as I did before with catchup off too but the races are more entertaining and that's really what you want from the game, for it to be entertaining. If I could change anything about the catchup feature I would create a way to adjust how strong the catchup feature works and perhaps I'd tone it down a little bit. Otherwise though it's a feature I think isn't as appreciated as it should be. How many white knuckle finishes have you had in race? Chances are the majority were with catchup on. Some will find when they lose frustrating and some will just pat the winner on the back and move on. There's always another race.

• WBaker, Sugar Free Nos and Cincy32 like this

GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

I never turn catch up on. Sullies the immersion imo.

xInfamousRYANx
  • xInfamousRYANx

Im a F*cking Marine!!!!!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Cons

If you are in a slower car You still are slowed greatly

Ex: In my Infernus against Adders the game still makes me go at a snail's pace even though if Catch up was off thier cars would eventually catch up.

I think the catch up mechanic is good but it is broken. The catch up mechanic does not compensate for vehicles of different abilities

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I really don't mind "boring" races. If I catch the lead and get to keep it, that's a good thing for me. If I don't I just hope the other guy makes a mistake and try to drive as fast as possible.

novesori
  • novesori

Car Enthusiast

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

With Catch up on, you can win in a stock car against fully modded cars. When I am in the strock car, I like catch up, when I am in a modded car, I hate catch up. Simple as that.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Cons

If you are in a slower car You still are slowed greatly

Ex: In my Infernus against Adders the game still makes me go at a snail's pace even though if Catch up was off thier cars would eventually catch up.

I think the catch up mechanic is good but it is broken. The catch up mechanic does not compensate for vehicles of different abilities

Yeah but that's still a con with catchup off so doesn't count.

xInfamousRYANx
  • xInfamousRYANx

Im a F*cking Marine!!!!!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

With Catch up on, you can win in a stock car against fully modded cars. When I am in the strock car, I like catch up, when I am in a modded car, I hate catch up. Simple as that.

its opposite a stock car will be slowed down too much because the Gameplay mechanic is broken.

Sugar Free Nos
  • Sugar Free Nos

I'm new to PC gaming pls be gentle

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Best Scrub 2014

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

kensignton1.jpg

I enjoyed reading. It's a nice and well thought out opinion. I don't really have one due to having barely any legit races under my belt.  

• Flūttershy and WBaker like this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

I really don't mind "boring" races. If I catch the lead and get to keep it, that's a good thing for me. If I don't I just hope the other guy makes a mistake and try to drive as fast as possible.

Yeah and I totally get that since I'm usually the one in the lead. That said when you're in a room where people rarely make mistakes you can pretty much already know the race is over after the first 20 seconds of the race and after 100 races that gets boring.

another thing to note too is that despite catchup being on, I've noticed that the winners still seem to be consistently the same people winning.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

I can't stand catch up.  I mean, il race with it on but it annoys me.  Listening to the engine gear down for no reason just annoys me.

Hey, wipes happen.   Players loose.

But catch up is just a way to punish the player not making mistakes.  I don't like that idea.

Especially in public races where people are trying to ram players all the time.  Not making any effort to make a clean pass or waiting to make a clean pass.  Theres a reason why most public races are over after the 1st turn with catch up OFF.  And thats the way it should be imo.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I was of the same frame of mind for a long time man so I totally understand where you're coming from. Race with us tonight though and you'll see, it can be lots of fun!

statistic
  • statistic

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

It's fine and fun when you are racing with clean like minded racers.  It's a different deal in a public lobby where it just lets people crash you easier.

• Kracus likes this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

It's fine and fun when you are racing with clean like minded racers.  It's a different deal in a public lobby where it just lets people crash you easier.

You know this probably has a lot to do with my change of heart regarding catchup. I used to race public lobbies, recently I've been racing with friends that all race well so that could have a lot to do with why I've started not disliking it as much.

Rezard
  • Rezard

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:08 PM Edited by Rezard, 06 February 2014 - 08:11 PM.

Catchup:  Follow 1st place til just before the finish.  Utilize the unnaturally uneven playing field to overtake with ease.

**yawn**

I rather enjoy the white-knuckle finishes that occur because the other guy(s) was good, too.  Not because some loser was given a handicap, and countless chances to act desperate.

I do not enjoy when Catchup suddenly comes on mid-race.

• Megakillertron likes this

Choppers
  • Choppers

Maybe your power's half-baked...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

I hate Catch up, because lots of times I smoke the competition, or they all crash. Then as I'm smooth sailing away it's like my car nearly turns of it gets so slow, then whadda know... an Adder/Entity gains on me, uses the bs slipstream mechanic when I'm going like 10 mph and passes and wins the dang race.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 PM Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc, 06 February 2014 - 08:19 PM.

I'm split on catchup. On one hand, races are less random and actually involve skill and careful vehicle choice without it. On the other, with all the rammers ramming like maniacs, it only seems fair.

esato
  • esato

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

The catchup system was good on Midnight Club Los Angeles, where if you still in slipstream by some time you earn an "extra" nitrous to use immediately. Different from V online that you gain more speed... on MCLA, when you're behind the other racer you only fill up the bar during the time where you are close the front car... if you succesfully fill the bar, good, you got the extra nitrous, if you not stay on the slipstream by the required time, you gain nothing.

At 1:00, look to the yellow bar filling up and turning green, the effect during the slipstream is the same the we have on V online.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Catchup:  Follow 1st place til just before the finish.  Utilize the unnaturally uneven playing field to overtake with ease.

**yawn**

I rather enjoy the white-knuckle finishes that occur because the other guy(s) was good, too.  Not because some loser was given a handicap, and countless chances to act desperate.

I agree with you last comment but CATCH UP works like a bitch thanks to lag.

If you follow someone close the game thinks you passed him, even tho you haven't.  Which swaps the slow down effect between both of you.  This can happen to many players if they group up to the front.

I've had catch up slow me down while way behind in second..  I heard it, felt it and starting slowing down even tho im in second place... And saw the guy in front BLAST way back out in front.. 1 minute later it finally said the other player is in 1st.. Then catch finally turned off on me..

lordemperor
  • lordemperor

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

- It's difficult for those in the back because their vehicles are so much faster.

Catchup only effects the leader and from my observation seems to reduce drive force. You can verify this on any track in the hilly areas of the city, sometimes the leader can barely climb the hills while being effected by catchup.

And yes, catchup is the suck. But this is also a byproduct of GTA:O races being too short. If the leader isn't the fastest driver he will still be losing time in every corner but maybe the race is only two minutes long so he wins off his early lead. For this reason I like to make sure races I host are at least five minutes if possible by adding laps.

sadpandamakeup
  • sadpandamakeup

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:45 PM Edited by sadpandamakeup, 06 February 2014 - 08:45 PM.

Catch up sucks.  Handicapping whoever's in first place so crappier drivers can catch up and pit them at the last minute is awful. 

Cincy32
  • Cincy32

RIP FRED PHELPS

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

I used to race quite a bit (over 300 races, don't play GTAVO anymore) and catchup never bothered me - whether it was on or off. Really none of the race options bothered me at all. If you're a good racer then it won't matter to you whether catch up is on or off, same with wanted levels, traffic, weather, time of day, class, etc. The only options that have a big effect are the race type (e.g. Rally, GTA, etc.) as those actually change the dynamic of the race and how it has to be played.

To good drivers: all options are second-thought and won't impact your ability to win a race.

To bad drivers: all options are an excuse as to why you suck.

• coach_wargo likes this

mbhitman
  • mbhitman

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Catch up sucks.  Handicapping whoever's in first place so crappier drivers can catch up and pit them at the last minute is awful. 

Agreed. Being punished for being the best driver is absurd.
  • EarthboundMysfit likes this

MindEntropy
  • MindEntropy

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Racing can be fun and at all times but if you're gonna be such a "veteran" and play so many races why not just buy a real better racing game? I'll never understand this.

JayDM420
  • JayDM420

0.14 KD

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 PM Edited by JayDM420, 06 February 2014 - 08:54 PM.

I don't race. A combination of rude racers on mics, ramming, over powered traction control, and no manual transmissions ruined it for me and my friends. (Who sold their copy lol)

You can say what you want, but racing is watered down heavily in V so that everybody can have the experience your describing. Close races.

The way I see it is if you crash at the start you should come in last place. But that's just my opinion. But I do know I'm not the only one who thinks like this either.

Some of us enjoy a Hardcore race.

@MindEntropy  I don't get it either. I use Forza for my racing fix

MindEntropy
  • MindEntropy

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Forza/gran tursimo, even gran turismo on ps2 is better than gta 5 races. The mods on cars are better, you have manual transmissions and way better cars.

JohnTaper
  • JohnTaper

Buddy, I think you're slime.

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:00 PM Edited by JohnTaper, 06 February 2014 - 09:01 PM.

If you're racing with your friends and not being competitive then catchup is fine. If you actually want a competitive race where the person who drives the best wins, then you want catchup off. I always race with catchup off, but I also do alot of hill climbs and trails where the power you would lose would make it impossible to make it up certain sections. I think catchup is a joke unless you don't mind racing better than other people and losing. Like I said, with my friends or crew it doesn't bother me but sometimes I really want to actually race so I turn catchup off. I have about 1,400 races under my belt so I'm no slouch, lol.

Docfrost
  • Docfrost

Shichibukai

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

I used to race quite a bit (over 300 races, don't play GTAVO anymore) and catchup never bothered me - whether it was on or off. Really none of the race options bothered me at all. If you're a good racer then it won't matter to you whether catch up is on or off, same with wanted levels, traffic, weather, time of day, class, etc. The only options that have a big effect are the race type (e.g. Rally, GTA, etc.) as those actually change the dynamic of the race and how it has to be played.

To good drivers: all options are second-thought and won't impact your ability to win a race.

To bad drivers: all options are an excuse as to why you suck.

Good racer or not, dealing with someone who is sandbagging just to pass you in the last couple seconds of the race due to catch-up is frustrating.

Jimrod
  • Jimrod

The Hooded Guest.

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Try a gimmick course like Jumps Jumps Jumps and realise as you're beating all the tedious Entities and Adders in your Vacca that the catch up has slowed you too much to clear the last bridge jump then come 6th, good times. (I know that jump can be avoided now) :p

EarthboundMysfit
  • EarthboundMysfit

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

The time i had a 20 second lead on "Dipping In", didn't mess up ANY, yet was still ran down from behind by a lesser driver at the very end(just to spin me out before the finish line), sorta turned me off, from catch-up being on.

That was in the very first week of GTA-O.

If you are serious about "racing", then you are adamant about turning it OFF before races. <---- Expert opinion.
  • RAS_ZeroZ likes this

PlasmicSnake
  • PlasmicSnake

Negative Astro Creep

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

The problem with catchup is it punishes you for not crashing. You can run a clean race but here comes some idiot whos wrecked 2-3 times and now he wrecks you. Its just a punishment for people who know how to drive properly.

• EarthboundMysfit likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users