166 replies to this topic
Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:20 PM Edited by Hodgey., 06 February 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Sochi-JJOO.jpg

Seeing as how the Winter Olympics opening ceremony is starting tommorow I though we might aswell start a topic to discuss anything to do with the olympics.

I personally dont really know a whole lot about the people competing (besides Ice Hockey players) as I'm only a winter sports fan every four years when the Winter Olympics rolls around. It is good however to watch sports that I dont usually see and I would say that I prefer the Winter Olympics over the summer Olympics.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

I'm not going to watch the Sochi games.

this will be the first time I've boycotted an Olympics but it was a pretty easy decision to arrive at.

between the destruction of local farmland (and then ignoring it), the roundup and slaughtering of stray dogs/cats, the extreme homophobia, and the incessant threats of Islamic violence, I have a hard time seeing any redeeming qualities in these games. also I dunno if anyone noticed, but there's palm trees all over Sochi. it's a Southern vacation retreat for the Russian elite. it's where they go for holiday. it's not a winter sports mecca.

the IOC should be ashamed of itself but they're too busy rolling around in their pools of cash bribes.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

If all the nachos stick together that's one nacho

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:57 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 06 February 2014 - 11:58 PM.

I'm very much looking forward to the hockey tournament.  I'm all for the US, but it would be awesome to see Finland and Teemu Selanne earn gold.  This will be Selanne's 6th Olympic games.  His first Winter Olympic appearance was in 1992.  He has yet to earn that gold.

I am not looking forward to NBC's sh*tty tape delayed coverage.  They do a disservice to the sports and journalism by doing that.

• WinterEdit likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'm very much looking forward to the hockey tournament.  I'm all for the US, but it would be awesome to see Finland and Teemu Selanne earn gold.  This will be Selanne's 6th Olympic games.  His first Winter Olympic appearance was in 1992.  He has yet to earn that gold.

I'd personally rather see Canada win it all. Although like you said I wouldn't mind if Teemu did manage to win gold with Finland.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

As an American, I would like nothing more than to see team Canada get the snot beat out of them.  And I'm an Anaheim Ducks fan.  The Ducks' two best players are on team Canada.

• El Diablo likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

As an American, I would like nothing more than to see team Canada get the snot beat out of them.  And I'm an Anaheim Ducks fan.  The Ducks' two best players are on team Canada.

Well as a English person I have nothing against the americans but I would always rather have Canada win it before you men. :p

• theGTAking101 likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

guys; stop getting me excited about the games.

I'm trying to rain on everyone's parade here ;)

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

Me watching or not watching will not change what has happened, or affect the Russian government's sh*tty attitude.  I'd sooner boycott the games because of NBC's sh*ttiness.

BeLikeMike
  • BeLikeMike

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

I prefer Summer over Winter but last Winter games really surprised me. I didn't think I would like so many events. The ski jump, bobsled, snowboarding all kept me interested.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I prefer Summer over Winter but last Winter games really surprised me. I didn't think I would like so many events. The ski jump, bobsled, snowboarding all kept me interested.

Im the opposite as with the Winter Olympics I see alot of events that I would otherwise not see. Speed Skating, Skiing etc so its a bit more enjoyable as I really only see these events every four years. As for us Brits we only really ever do well in Bob Skeleton or Womens Curling, other than that we dont really do well as we dont get the snow like we need to be good at the Winter Olympics.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:51 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 07 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.

I'm going to watch a lot of Sochi things, live if possible.

Mainly because of three reasons:

a) Finland is kind of a winter sports country.

b) There are a lot of sports I usually like to watch too (ski jump, ice hockey).

and

c) I want to see if terrorists do anything. Not meaning to be a violent idiot but I'm just curious to see if anyone even attempts to do so. Not hoping for such to happen of course.

Who is going to watch the Olympic opening in an hour or so?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm going to watch a lot of Sochi things, live if possible.

Mainly because of three reasons:

a) Finland is kind of a winter sports country.

b) There are a lot of sports I usually like to watch too (ski jump, ice hockey).

and

c) I want to see if terrorists do anything. Not meaning to be a violent idiot but I'm just curious to see if anyone even attempts to do so. Not hoping for such to happen of course.

Who is going to watch the Olympic opening in an hour or so?

I'll check the opening ceromony out to see what it is like but I wont be watching the whole thing as when the bring out every country it gets a bit boring after the 4th or 5th one.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'm also more of a Summer Olympics fan myself since it doesn't snow much here in South Africa lol. I have watched the winter olympics the last couple of times though and I've really enjoyed some of the events like slalom, cross country skiing, snowboarding, speed skating etc. It's the only time I get to see stuff like this.

I'll never forget a couple of winter olympics ago during the women's snowboarding event (if I remember correctly. Might have been something else) where the leader celebrated before she crossed the finish line but fell as a result and ended up being overtaken and winning silver instead of gold haha. Her face was priceless!

Watching the opening ceremony now. Wonder if SA's got a team this year? Last time we had one participant in cross country skiing I believe.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:27 PM Edited by Hodgey., 07 February 2014 - 05:28 PM.

I'll never forget a couple of winter olympics ago during the women's snowboarding event (if I remember correctly. Might have been something else) where the leader celebrated before she crossed the finish line but fell as a result and ended up being overtaken and winning silver instead of gold haha. Her face was priceless!

Now that you mention it I do recall something like this happening. I think it might have been last time around but I'm not sure either.

EDIT: Apparently a plane has tried to be hijacked and diverted to Sochi but its apparently been handled. :/

BeLikeMike
  • BeLikeMike

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Im the opposite as with the Winter Olympics I see alot of events that I would otherwise not see. Speed Skating, Skiing etc so its a bit more enjoyable as I really only see these events every four years. As for us Brits we only really ever do well in Bob Skeleton or Womens Curling, other than that we dont really do well as we dont get the snow like we need to be good at the Winter Olympics.

Is curling the event where they're sweeping? :lol: I forgot the speed skating.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yeah curling is the event when they sweep infront of the stone/rock (or whatever its called)

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Now that you mention it I do recall something like this happening. I think it might have been last time around but I'm not sure either.

Found it. It was 2006 in Torino. I remember laughing so hard haha! Epic Facepalm :lol:

• Hodgey. and WinterEdit like this

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:14 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 07 February 2014 - 07:15 PM.

Yeah curling is the event when they sweep infront of the stone/rock (or whatever its called)

Curling's probably one of the weirdest Winter Olympic game ever. Not judging them, I guess it requires skill and accuracy but still... it's "just" making a stone slide across ice while overly energetic janitors are polishing the ice in front of it with mops/squeegees/whatever, lol.

In other news:

The opening was pretty damn awesome. :)

• Tacymist likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

In other news:

The opening was pretty damn awesome. :)

I watched until Tonga came out then I got bored of watching athletes walking in a circle :lol: Up until then though it was pretty good except for the f*ck up with the Olympic rings.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yeah I watched the entire ceremony. It was pretty good.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

This was posted on the Anaheim Ducks' youtube channel...

This is a normal reaction for any American.

• HaythamKenway and Tacymist like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

Well I did see the knitwear that the Americans came out in. I'd say it was loud, brash and in your face, very unlike America if you ask me :pp

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

the USA team sweaters are literally the ugliest uniform in the history of the Winter games :pp

no contest.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

The Americans almost always get dumb uniforms, it's tradition. The opening ceremony was really good for a winter olympic ceremony. I liked it better than London's [not hating on London's] but I was surprised at how big the production was. It's funny how the commentators kept saying how this isn't the "scholarly" version of Russia's history but more or less a "kitschy" version imagined by Putin. If nothing else, he's very creative. :p

A J
  • A J

Aggressively Honest

• BUSTED!
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

It seemed some countries were very excited to be there.

venezuela.gif

• HaythamKenway likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

the USA team sweaters are literally the ugliest uniform in the history of the Winter games :pp

no contest.

How would you know if you are boycotting the games? :pp

As for the Venezulian guy, I guess it just proves what these games mean to some people and what a opportunity he has. Plus if I was from Venezula at a Winter Olympics I'd have fun as nobody expect me to win anything so the pressure would be off.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, those sweaters they wore during the parade were just too damn loud.  It's like someone's grandma made them.

• Hodgey. likes this

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

The only good event I've watched so far was the snowboard slopestyle. Waiting for the other good stuff to start like luge, alpine skiing, the other snowboarding events etc.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

The only good event I've watched so far was the snowboard slopestyle. Waiting for the other good stuff to start like luge, alpine skiing, the other snowboarding events etc.

First few days of any major sporting event are always a bit lackluster.

I Love Anna Kournikova
  • I Love Anna Kournikova

Dad

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

all that has Aired here is Figure Skating.

I watched just in case someone tried the Flying Lotus but it didnt happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users