Photo

"We are not making decisions in order to extract value."

140 replies to this topic
beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm sure I'm coming off as a huge R* nut hugger but in reality I'm just tired of people who have no idea what it takes to run a business bitch and moan.

I beg to disagree with this assessment, I believe the posters against cash cards have a pretty good understanding about how business works and are annoyed not because the company wants to make money but because their way of doing it is a mistake. Instead of forcing players to grind away or buy game money, why didn't they do the micro transactions like every other successful micro transaction game does, sell cosmetic content.

• deathdealer, JOEsAGGRESSIVE, SpidersWeb and 1 other like this

Khaos89
  • Khaos89

Has a small willy

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

"We made it plain that we prefer to expand resources after we see revenues not before," Zelnick noted.

Did I read correctly that development of DLC depends on the sale of cash cards? As if turning 250 million into 1billion+ wasn't enough
Exactly, greed. I wish everyone would boycott cash cards completely until we see something new. The customers have got them where they are today and we shouldn't have to fork money out before DLC which was promised to us is released. How anyone can defend them is beyond me.
If it was greed then instead of selling optional cash cards they could sell half assed DLC for $10-20.

What difference does that make? The DLC would also be optional. They're selling cash cards for $10-20 and have to do no work whatsoever to earn it like they would creating paid DLC.

• JOEsAGGRESSIVE likes this

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Wow! This is way to long for me to read.
I'll just throw a few likes in there. :)

KornbreadMaf1a
  • KornbreadMaf1a

You come at the king you best not miss.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

I'm sure I'm coming off as a huge R* nut hugger but in reality I'm just tired of people who have no idea what it takes to run a business bitch and moan.

I beg to disagree with this assessment, I believe the posters against cash cards have a pretty good understanding about how business works and are annoyed not because the company wants to make money but because their way of doing it is a mistake. Instead of forcing players to grind away or buy game money, why didn't they do the micro transactions like every other successful micro transaction game does, sell cosmetic content.
So you think people would complain less if instead of all content as of now being free to everybody they would rather for example have to pay real money for specific cars instead of optional cash cards?

Right now you can either do missions/races/rob stores/sell cars/get crates or spend real money to get GTA money and people go crazy about the option to buy money I can only imagine the uproar if you could only buy super cars with real money.
  • Staten likes this

sadpandamakeup
  • sadpandamakeup

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

So you think people would complain less if instead of all content as of now being free to everybody they would rather for example have to pay real money for specific cars instead of optional cash cards?

Right now you can either do missions/races/rob stores/sell cars/get crates or spend real money to get GTA money and people go crazy about the option to buy money I can only imagine the uproar if you could only buy super cars with real money.

Super cars aren't cosmetic.  Cosmetic means things that are just for looks and don't actually affect gameplay, such as the type of cloths your character wears.

But I think you already know that. 

• beat_savy_9 likes this

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

The good thing to take away from this is that GTA Online is basically made on the cheap and not (initially) heavily supported, due to htme being unsure of its financial viability.

Potentially, as long as people stay interested and keep buying GTAV for online, and/or shark cards, then we can maybe expect bigger and higher quality content for GTA: Online in future.

That, or they'll get used to getting cash for minimal effort and GTA: Online will die.

• Lil_B_The Basedgod likes this

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

When they put those Lenny Avery homes up for sale they'll be able to generate more revenue for sure to satisfy shareholders.
  • beat_savy_9 likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

When they put those Lenny Avery homes up for sale they'll be able to generate more revenue for sure to satisfy shareholders.

Is that because people will have to pay to submit complaints about R* putting mansions behind a paywall?

KornbreadMaf1a
  • KornbreadMaf1a

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Super cars aren't cosmetic.  Cosmetic means things that are just for looks and don't actually affect gameplay, such as the type of cloths your character wears.

I was just using cars as an example because it was the first thing that I thought of. I was gonna type cars/weapons/clothes but was lazy. I still don't see how people would complain less when they are forced to pay for something they want instead of it being just an option.

Right now the only thing you can pay for is optional GTA money that can be earned by just playing the game and people go crazy about that idea I can only imagine what people would say if they wanted a specific item and the only way to get it was to pay for it.

I understand the logic that people think its a cheap way for them to generate income because they arnt adding anything to the game with cash cards but in reality it's nothing more than an easy way for people to get money instead of grinding for it like most people do. For all we know the money generated by cash card sales could lower the price of future DLC

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

it's PR nonsense

try not to read to much into it

not intended for us gamers, just a way to ease the minds of shareholders or whatever

• a20characterusername likes this

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Korn, check league of legends, free game but making waterfalls of money selling nothing but skins.

sadpandamakeup
  • sadpandamakeup

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

I was just using cars as an example because it was the first thing that I thought of. I was gonna type cars/weapons/clothes but was lazy. I still don't see how people would complain less when they are forced to pay for something they want instead of it being just an option.

Right now the only thing you can pay for is optional GTA money that can be earned by just playing the game and people go crazy about that idea I can only imagine what people would say if they wanted a specific item and the only way to get it was to pay for it.

I understand the logic that people think its a cheap way for them to generate income because they arnt adding anything to the game with cash cards but in reality it's nothing more than an easy way for people to get money instead of grinding for it like most people do. For all we know the money generated by cash card sales could lower the price of future DLC

Those are fair points.  Yea, I actually probably would be more pissed if I had to shell out real money to be a certain pair of jeans for my character.

Fortunately, I have already bought everything I need and I have a few million, so I'm a content guy :lol:

grand theft spaghetti
  • grand theft spaghetti

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

"We made it plain that we prefer to expand resources after we see revenues not before," Zelnick noted.

Did I read correctly that development of DLC depends on the sale of cash cards? As if turning 250 million into 1billion+ wasn't enough

f*ck this right here. thats the real reason we have all been playing the same 5 missions these past months. it says nothing about fixing issues with the game. after we see revenues, not before. a billion plus in game sales, around $60 million in shark cards, how much revenue does cockstar plan to bleed from its customers...or are we still nothing more than entitled brats?

Miss Malevolent
  • Miss Malevolent

Bitch³

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I think the community would have embraced Shark Cards a lot better with this route.

No they wouldn't have. People are cheap. And if they can get something for free, they'll do it.

blitzzd
  • blitzzd

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hey, let's take an article from a barely credible source (note how quotations do not denote who is making them but rather suggest who is) and then try and turn this into a cash card discussion.

Reality boy steps in and says "wtf, blown out of proportion much?"
Show me ONE single business where the goal is not additional revenue.

You can't. Stop crying about greed you effimg morons. That is the whole point to life in case you've been living in a cave for the past 100 years.

You got a $60 game. Stop acting like you bought a big ticket item such as a car.

KornbreadMaf1a
  • KornbreadMaf1a

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Korn, check league of legends, free game but making waterfalls of money selling nothing but skins.

I'm not disagreeing that games make money that way. I'm just amazed at the amount of people that bitch about a 100% optional transaction and could only imagine the amount of butthurt that would go along with having to pay for certain items.

I liked the different camo packs you could get in COD because it added variety to the game and would honestly welcome an option to pay for different sets of clothes or car customizations just to be different from everybody else but I could also see the people who cry about cash cards crying even harder if they had to pay to actually get something.

Personally I think the cash cards are a good idea for the people who don't have a lot of time to play the game because it gives them the ability to get some of the higher priced items. If the game was released in the summertime I would probably buy a card or two because I run my own landscaping company and am really busy during the summer and would only be able to play for a limited amount of time but since it was released towards the end of my season and I have 3-4 months off I can play as much as I want now.

Dr.Huge Poop
  • Dr.Huge Poop

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Have Fun.

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

OutrageHash
  • OutrageHash

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

I don't see the "Raw greed". 

For the most part. I've been a clean player. I never mission grinded abusing the replay feature. The most I did was sell the car from Editor and Thief whenever I did that mission. I've made 7.7 million in the game so far. With plenty of time spent dicking around.

On Free-Aim, with 3 friends, making money is easy. Everyone calls Martin, Ron, or Lester fishing for a good mission. With four players calling one of you will get a good one. On Free-Aim and Hard difficulty, Mixed Up With Coke pays out 13k for under three minutes work. One person drives in and takes out the cement trucks at the site, the other two ambush the other trucks as they spawn. Base Invaders, Bust Out, and Roof Top Rumble all pay 17-18k on Free-Ari/Hard.

To get one nice car fully modded and a 10-car garage really isn't that much effort and if you have friends to play with the missions are fun instead of just grindy.

• KornbreadMaf1a likes this

GrandTheftBatman
  • GrandTheftBatman

Connect 4 Champion 2012

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:36 PM Edited by GrandTheftBatman, 06 February 2014 - 06:39 PM.

"We aren't extracting value. We're creating it." MOFO DO I LOOK LIKE DUMBASS MCGEE?

This is stated for people who enjoy the games process and enjoy the work and subsequent success and feeling of accomplishment that follow. Self entitled tweens like yourself will never understand.

OT: this is their game, they can do what they want. Obviously things are working and acceptable for the majority. A bunch of crying, complaining and whiny children are not guna change a DAMN THING. They know you young greedy asshats won't BUY anything outright anyway. You make mom/dad buy you everything that HAS to be bought and feel like you deserve everything for free.

Dude above said it perfectly, "do I look like dumbass McGee?" And yes, yes you ALL do.
Creating value is adding new content. Extracting it is limiting the current content: lowering all payouts, Insurance System, etc. They all favor cash cards.
Furthermore, they making a big profit if it works ideally: Players buy cards for content that is pre-made. No new content is added. They don't need to make anything. Just make it harder to access current content to encourage cash cards. Besides what has everyone been screaming: WE WILL PAY FOR DLC!!!! Everyone has said this. They aren't making it since they're failing to understand their customers. They might've assumed we wouldn't buy MP DLC, and that is wrong.
  • JOEsAGGRESSIVE likes this

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

The good thing to take away from this is that GTA Online is basically made on the cheap and not (initially) heavily supported, due to htme being unsure of its financial viability.

Potentially, as long as people stay interested and keep buying GTAV for online, and/or shark cards, then we can maybe expect bigger and higher quality content for GTA: Online in future.

That, or they'll get used to getting cash for minimal effort and GTA: Online will die.

I litterally had an image of wrapping my hands around your throat and shaking violently.
You can't seriously be saying you believe they made this game on the cheap and are putting in minimal effort. You can't be that stupid...please...

mikezilla2
  • mikezilla2

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

wow

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

idk, I think that any revenue generated from here on out is going to be invested in cocaine and prostitutes.

• Malibu454 likes this

Crafty-
  • Crafty-

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

All this bitching about rockstar/take two is silly. I and millions of other people haven't bought cash cards and have no intention of doing so.

I've got $1.25m, 10 cars.. don't really have anything to spend the money on. Hopefully we'll get more garage space soon..

Compare to Zenimax's "Elder Scrolls" that will cost you $180 a year to play!!

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

"We aren't extracting value. We're creating it." MOFO DO I LOOK LIKE DUMBASS MCGEE?

This is stated for people who enjoy the games process and enjoy the work and subsequent success and feeling of accomplishment that follow. Self entitled tweens like yourself will never understand.

OT: this is their game, they can do what they want. Obviously things are working and acceptable for the majority. A bunch of crying, complaining and whiny children are not guna change a DAMN THING. They know you young greedy asshats won't BUY anything outright anyway. You make mom/dad buy you everything that HAS to be bought and feel like you deserve everything for free.

Dude above said it perfectly, "do I look like dumbass McGee?" And yes, yes you ALL do.
Creating value is adding new content. Extracting it is limiting the current content: lowering all payouts, Insurance System, etc. They all favor cash cards.
Furthermore, they making a big profit if it works ideally: Players buy cards for content that is pre-made. No new content is added. They don't need to make anything. Just make it harder to access current content to encourage cash cards. Besides what has everyone been screaming: WE WILL PAY FOR DLC!!!! Everyone has said this. They aren't making it since they're failing to understand their customers. They might've assumed we wouldn't buy MP DLC, and that is wrong.

I get so sick and tired of people stat cherry picking and pulling all of the little things that favor their "cash cards suck" mental abortion attitude. Like polititions or lobyists the only stats that are important to themare the ones that favor their desires.

The bottom line is this...
THE BASIC EXISTANCE OF A PERSONAL ECONOMY IN THE GAME FAVORS CASH CARDS. Every piece of it. Players need money. They offer money. They offer ways to make money. You choose which one is easier for you. AND THAT ladies and gentleman is the key to the issue. "The I want it now" attitude is the ONLY factor that is truely favoring cash cards and it is something Rockstar is perfectly fine with tapping into and proffiting from. Any player with half an ounce of patience has never had a single concern with cash cards.
  • Thr33X likes this

Sned
  • Sned

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Take-Two expects GTA Online to remain a big earner throughout this year, in what could be a hint at a forthcoming GTA 5 DLC announcement. "My own view is, I feel very, very optimistic about GTA Online and I think there is plenty more opportunity and we have made no bones about the fact that we have expectations for GTA Online in the fourth quarter, for example."

There is your heists announcement. Sep 2014.

4th quarter is from end of the year December 2013 to march dude. so it ends  in 3 weeks. 

Dude,  learn to invest.

The calendar year can be divided into 4 quarters, often abbreviated Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4:
First quarter: from the beginning of January to the end of March
Second quarter: from the beginning of April to the end of June
Third quarter: from the beginning of July to the end of September
Fourth quarter: from the beginning of October to the end of December

This happened lol

Pixel S
  • Pixel S

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Take-Two expects GTA Online to remain a big earner throughout this year, in what could be a hint at a forthcoming GTA 5 DLC announcement. "My own view is, I feel very, very optimistic about GTA Online and I think there is plenty more opportunity and we have made no bones about the fact that we have expectations for GTA Online in the fourth quarter, for example."

There is your heists announcement. Sep 2014.

4th quarter is from end of the year December 2013 to march dude. so it ends  in 3 weeks. 

Dude,  learn to invest.

The calendar year can be divided into 4 quarters, often abbreviated Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4:
First quarter: from the beginning of January to the end of March
Second quarter: from the beginning of April to the end of June
Third quarter: from the beginning of July to the end of September
Fourth quarter: from the beginning of October to the end of December

This happened lol

Nothing happened. We already determined that march is end of Q4 for Take Two. In terms of Finances. 

Thr33X
  • Thr33X

GTA Photographers Commish

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

[sarcasm]Shame on Rockstar for wanting to make a profit from their product! They're so out of touch with the gaming community...they should give us everything for free and at the exact minute that we say that we want it or they suck and we'll never play their games again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/sarcasm]

mbhitman
  • mbhitman

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Does Take 2 use the calendar year for their period, or something else? We gotta consider that. Some dudes like to use funky stuff like July-June as the years.

This discussion is pointless because they said nothing about heists.

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Not The Nicest Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:12 PM Edited by SuperJude™, 06 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.

"As you know, GTA Online is a free to play experience".

I stopped reading right there. I've heard enough of that nonsense from the blindly loyal fools who repeat whatever they are told.

Yeah, it's called "Multiplayer", most games have it, it is always "free" on PSN.

I KNEW Take Two was behind most of the boneheaded decisions, this just validates everything I was trying to say about how the Rockstar Devs really care, really tried to craft an amazing game but Rockstar is owned by Take Two Interactive whose own leader uses CorporateSpeak to try and clown us.

• Khaos89 likes this

SD361
  • SD361

The Professional

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:25 PM Edited by SD361, 06 February 2014 - 09:27 PM.

"As you know, GTA Online is a free to play experience".

I stopped reading right there. I've heard enough of that nonsense from the blindly loyal fools who repeat whatever they are told.

Yeah, it's called "Multiplayer", most games have it, it is always "free" on PSN.

I KNEW Take Two was behind most of the boneheaded decisions, this just validates everything I was trying to say about how the Rockstar Devs really care, really tried to craft an amazing game but Rockstar is owned by Take Two Interactive whose own leader uses CorporateSpeak to try and clown us.

Free-to-Play =/ Multiplayer

The Free-to-Play model is as such: A basic game experience is offered to the user at no cost. The revenue-generation model is based upon microtransactions (ie. Buy coins or resources in a mobile game to progress faster).

Rockstar's contention is that GTAO is not GTA5. That GTAO is simply a standalone experience that happens to be included on the disc alongside GTA5.

Contrast that with 343/Halo or Activision/COD, where the online component is central to the gaming experience. In those instances, you have paid for the online experience in the price you shell out for the game.

I hate the fact that Rockstar is using a FtP model with GTAO, but it was the decision they've made. They were clear about this before the game even launched. Getting mad about it is akin to getting annoyed at EA for charging you for energy in the free mobile version of Madden, or with Sony for charging you for cars in Driveclub. Deal with it, or waste hours of your life grinding away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users