"We are not making decisions in order to extract value."

140 replies to this topic
nfrank
  • nfrank

English Pride Crew

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Spotted this story earlier and couldn't find any reference to it on the forums.

Take-Two CEO chats micro-transactions!

http://www.totalxbox...o-transactions/

"Our primary goal is to delight consumers and create a great experience," he told investors in an earnings call this week. "As you know, GTA Online is a free to play experience and there [are] opportunities for recurrent consumer spending within the game, and no obligation of course."

image_37152_320.jpg

GTA 5 has now sold 32.5 million units worldwide, rivalling annually released giants like FIFA and Call of Duty. "We have enjoyed an extraordinary economic result," reflected Zelnick. "But the starting point for that economic result is delighting consumers, giving them a fantastic experience. And that's our focus in GTA Online.

"And the reason that we offer an opportunity to spend money in the game is that's coordinated with a great experience. We are not making decisions in order to extract value, we are making decisions to delight consumers. And that includes creating value.

"Yes, we had some issues with the currency," he acknowledged, presumably in reference to Rockstar's war on "unfair" money hacks. "Those issues have been addressed and we are not really focused on whether the catch-up or anything of this sort. You know as long as people keep loving GTA Online it's going to be great for us.

Zelnick and co are "thrilled" by GTA Online's growth, which is "sort of novel for us around here" (Take Two is hardly known for its MMO-style services.) The publisher is "following metrics very carefully and we are growing our expertise every day".

"We made it plain that we prefer to expand resources after we see revenues not before," Zelnick noted. "It's protected us greatly. We are very disciplined. And that means we are learning as we go. But the watchword here is about delighting consumers and keeping them engaged, not about monetization. The monetization comes with the engagement."

Elsewhere in the call, Zelnick observed that GTA 5 has been little affected by the release of Xbox One and PS4 - there hasn't been a "fall off" in sales of the publisher's old gen games, he said.

Take-Two expects GTA Online to remain a big earner throughout this year, in what could be a hint at a forthcoming GTA 5 DLC announcement. "My own view is, I feel very, very optimistic about GTA Online and I think there is plenty more opportunity and we have made no bones about the fact that we have expectations for GTA Online in the fourth quarter, for example."

Evershade
  • Evershade

He Who Sparketh It

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

"The monetization comes with the engagement"...That sounds like some boardroom nonsense. I love GTAO, but this past couple of weeks have really put a spotlight on the raw greed behind Take 2's business model. Maybe it's just me, but the conversations from that investor's conference they held recently left me with a feeling that 100 showers couldn't shake.
  • deathdealer, Cincy32, SilkySkillz85 and 1 other like this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

"The monetization comes with the engagement"...That sounds like some boardroom nonsense. I love GTAO, but this past couple of weeks have really put a spotlight on the raw greed behind Take 2's business model. Maybe it's just me, but the conversations from that investor's conference they held recently left me with a feeling that 100 showers couldn't shake.

compare it with other games, and you will see how preferable there method is.
  • Tabula Rasa likes this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

jsut where abouts is this "raw greed" of which you speak?? ive never been wall-gardened to buy a cash card to continue (eg phone apps) playing, never had to pay for a DLC..  in fact since i spent £45 on the game 6 months ago i havent spent a penny...

not sure thats raw greed...

ive also seen 9 patch updates with new content added (irrespective of opinions of its quality) and,,,, lemme check my wallet,, ,yup still ahvent paid anything extra...

so as for "raw greed" i fail to see this

in terms of monetization coming from engagement thats true... if people engage with the game and spend more than they earn, cash cards is an easy option.... you dont need cash cards if you dont spend money and just enjoy the game... i play pretty regularly and dont spend much, ive already got the cars is want, i manage the weapons i want by only keeping.buying the ones i want /use so it costs less to fill my ammo...  cash-cards rely solely on idiocy/laziness for their sales

in fairness an objective viewpoint would see this, an entitled one would not...

• Glumok, mixjah, Varios Los Aztecas and 14 others like this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:48 AM Edited by hornedturtle, 06 February 2014 - 11:48 AM.

jsut where abouts is this "raw greed" of which you speak?? ive never been wall-gardened to buy a cash card to continue (eg phone apps) playing, never had to pay for a DLC..  in fact since i spent £45 on the game 6 months ago i havent spent a penny...
not sure thats raw greed...

ive also seen 9 patch updates with new content added (irrespective of opinions of its quality) and,,,, lemme check my wallet,, ,yup still ahvent paid anything extra...

so as for "raw greed" i fail to see this

in terms of monetization coming from engagement thats true... if people engage with the game and spend more than they earn, cash cards is an easy option.... you dont need cash cards if you dont spend money and just enjoy the game... i play pretty regularly and dont spend much, ive already got the cars is want, i manage the weapons i want by only keeping.buying the ones i want /use so it costs less to fill my ammo...  cash-cards rely solely on idiocy/laziness for their sales

in fairness an objective viewpoint would see this, an entitled one would not...
imagine when he finds out blizzard sell healms for $15 a piece in WoW
  • Itzreality, Sangers and iainspad like this

line of chop
  • line of chop

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I can see where T2 are coming from, that is why i exploit the game and make cash the greedy way.

• Khaos89, Ryan_Codebreaker, Malibu454 and 2 others like this

Riznind
  • Riznind

Shaken, then stirred

• D1RTY12
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

"We made it plain that we prefer to expand resources after we see revenues not before," Zelnick noted.

Did I read correctly that development of DLC depends on the sale of cash cards? As if turning 250 million into 1billion+ wasn't enough

• deathdealer, RAS_ZeroZ, Cincy32 and 1 other like this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:59 AM Edited by hornedturtle, 06 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

"We made it plain that we prefer to expand resources after we see revenues not before," Zelnick noted.

Did I read correctly that development of DLC depends on the sale of cash cards? As if turning 250 million into 1billion+ wasn't enough

or....they didn't start making dlc until the game sold well....mind BLOWN
  • GrandMaster Smith, Black Rabbit, RAS_ZeroZ and 2 others like this

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

All I heard was this:

• deathdealer, Gutslab, rampage08 and 5 others like this

Juanfartez
  • Juanfartez

Goofball

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Take-Two expects GTA Online to remain a big earner throughout this year, in what could be a hint at a forthcoming GTA 5 DLC announcement. "My own view is, I feel very, very optimistic about GTA Online and I think there is plenty more opportunity and we have made no bones about the fact that we have expectations for GTA Online in the fourth quarter, for example."

There is your heists announcement. Sep 2014.

• deathdealer, ParanoiaX and RAS_ZeroZ like this

ParanoiaX
  • ParanoiaX

Mad Paro

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:22 PM Edited by One Poor Fool, 06 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.

"Our primary goal is to delight consumers and create a great experience," he told investors in an earnings call this week. "As you know, GTA Online is a free to play experience and there [are] opportunities for recurrent consumer spending within the game, and no obligation of course."

All there is to buy are weapons clothes cars and an apartment, once you have these there is no recurrent spending, just ammo, which you need, so I dont know what the f*ck hes talking about here,

Also, nothing but tanks in free roam is not delightful, or a great experience if you ask me, its something which they could have avoided but chose to implement to maximise cash card sales, so again, complete bulsh*t. I wish some fan input was posed to them in that interview, wonder what they would say.

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:22 PM Edited by GTARACER93, 06 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

4th quarter is from end of the year December 2013 to march dude. so it ends  in 3 weeks. 

Juanfartez
  • Juanfartez

Goofball

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

4th quarter is from end of the year December 2013 to march dude. so it ends  in 3 weeks. 

Dude,  learn to invest.

The calendar year can be divided into 4 quarters, often abbreviated Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4:
First quarter: from the beginning of January to the end of March
Second quarter: from the beginning of April to the end of June
Third quarter: from the beginning of July to the end of September
Fourth quarter: from the beginning of October to the end of December

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Does Take 2 use the calendar year for their period, or something else? We gotta consider that. Some dudes like to use funky stuff like July-June as the years.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Does Take 2 use the calendar year for their period, or something else? We gotta consider that. Some dudes like to use funky stuff like July-June as the years.

It uses something else.  April-April.

• Toke likes this

Juanfartez
  • Juanfartez

Goofball

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

It is a formal investment statement. By international banking laws it is all the same calender. Fourth quarter earnings are at the end of the year.

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Dude,  learn to invest.

The calendar year can be divided into 4 quarters, often abbreviated Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4:

Thats callendar year bud not FINANCIAL YEAR. Trust me. I wear a suit to work every day. I know how the financial year works

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

It is a formal investment statement. By international banking laws it is all the same calender. Fourth quarter earnings are at the end of the year.

Which one are they using? I'm only an accounting student, so hell if I knew what the actual practice is.

Juanfartez
  • Juanfartez

Goofball

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

That would be fiscal year, that has nothing to do with public trading. Just taxes.

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Quote from last year

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May. 13, 2013-- Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO) today reported strong financial results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2013, ended March 31, 2013. In addition, the Company provided its initial financial outlook for its first quarter and fiscal year 2014.

• redfirebird87 and blackwolfred like this

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Meep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:40 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 06 February 2014 - 12:48 PM.

Yup. Take Two's fiscal year ends on March 31 annually.

EDIT: Same goes for the US Government. My dad said that it ends on September 31 annually, and he usually got a raise around this time; he was in the Navy.

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:41 PM Edited by GTARACER93, 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM.

Dude,  learn to invest.

That is not what he said in the call.

He clearly stated Q4 was until march.. 

Edit ninja'ed above multi times. 

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM Edited by Dave Rizza, 06 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

So it's settled then. we getting something tasty by end of next month :)

Dude,  learn to invest.

That is not what he said in the call.

He clearly stated Q4 was until march.. 

Edit ninja'ed above multi times. 

Yeah.... So learn to calendar read :p

Juanfartez
  • Juanfartez

Goofball

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM Edited by Juanfartez, 06 February 2014 - 12:51 PM.

Ok, I stand corrected. I guess some companies state off seasons as their fourth quarters. But then that is also a stupid statement from them if they are excited about this month and nothing in the future. But heists will still suck if it is all team based as stated in many other threads.  

Unequalibrium
  • Unequalibrium

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

lol

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Earnings season is the period of time during which a large number of publicly traded companies release their quarterly earning reports. In general, each earnings season begins one or two weeks after the last month of each quarter (December, March, June and September). In other words, look for the majority of public companies to release their earnings in early to mid January, April, July and October. It is important to note that not all companies report during earnings season because the exact date of an earnings release depends on when the given company's quarter ends. As such, it is not uncommon to find companies reporting earnings between earnings seasons.

The unofficial kickoff to earnings season is the release of earnings by Alcoa (NYSE: AA), which is a major aluminum producer and Dow Jones Industrial Average component, as it is one of the first major companies to release earnings after the end of each quarter. It also coincides with an increasing number of earnings reports being released. There is no official end to the earnings season, but it is considered to be over when most major companies have released their quarterly earnings reports, which generally occurs about six weeks after the start of the season.

For example, for the fourth quarter, you will often see an increasing number of earnings reports released in the second week of January (Alcoa typically releases at the start of the second week). About six weeks later, or near the end of February, the number of earnings reports starts to decrease to pre-earnings season levels. There is also very little time between each earnings season. For example, the earnings season for the first quarter begins in early April, which is a little over a month after the end of the fourth quarter season. 

This is a very active time in the market as participants (analysts, traders and investors) review the earnings reports, which may affect their positions on or in a company. You can often see a lot of movement in the shares of companies releasing reports as the market reacts to the new data. It is not unheard of to see shares jump 20% or more or to see them fall by this same amount. It is also a highly active time for the financial news media, such as CNBC and The Wall Street Journal. There is extensive media coverage of the major earnings releases from a general recap of the earnings to reporting on whether the companies missed, met or beat analyst expectations.

After earnings where made in the fourth quarter. So you wear a suit to work but you don't know jack sh*t about investments.

I'm not an investor.But a financial year and calendar year are different. Q4 of financial year ends March. Thats all we were trying to point out.  Really no need for the giant Walls Of text 

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:48 PM Edited by TeammateAssist, 06 February 2014 - 12:49 PM.

Man. This turned into a fight quick, and all we're talking about is what the 4th quarter of TT Interactive is so we can guess when the heists are. Heh.

Also, which 4th quarter are they basing it on? Last year? Because: http://www.dailyfina...c-might-keep-s/

We might not get heists. Ever.

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

It was an investors call  so everything he was talking about was in  finance context.. 

I very much doubt he would be talking about projections for September in feb.

He gave Q4 projections which is current bulk of the income would be from GTA and GTA online NBA and WWE.

Let's face it WWE and NBA are not big sellers so it either hints at decent Dlc or they think GTA is still going to sell well.  . 

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

I dont think so. They included hiests in the original "This will be in the game" announcements that came before launch. They also said it was one of the four free DLC packs to be installed during the several month launch window. As someone above pointed out, they commented on "expanding" resources once the funding was solid. What this means is anything beyond the already anounced content depended on a succesful and lucrative launch. This happened, and they started working on the next paid DLC which is what I believe is the Sept-Dec earnings expectations are about. (Just a side note I still believe it will be C&C DLC)

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

That article reads like a randomly generated postmodernist essay.

• Zwenkwiel and Juanfartez like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users