Quantcast

» «
Photo

Picking up the guitar again and I need some advice.

10 replies to this topic
Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

I finally got back into the guitar but I'm having some issues my speed at changing chords and frets is a bit slow are there any exercises you can recommend?
  • Marwin Moody likes this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

lol =))))

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Hey-hey-hey
When I started out guitar when I was 10, I too had issues with changing chords. What I suggest is downloading a metronome app on your phone, or go to www.metronomeonline.com and set it to a low speed. Choose a couple of chords and just switch between the two, played on half notes (That means one chord lasts for two beats). Once you feel you master it at a low speed (this WILL take time, BE PATIENT!) you can set the speed up some more, when finally switching will feel natural. do the same with JUST minor scales first. Set the metronome at a VERY low speed and play it up and down in different keys, just the basic position starting on the base note on the low E-string. Once you feel you master it, raise the speed. After a while, you'll feel ALL playing comes much more naturally to you. You may also practice the blues scale (pentatone with a flat 5th) up and down, as this will prove VERY useful for improvisation.

I hope some of this helps! If you honestly give a crap and want to learn more or have me explain something in the post, just message me. I study music with guitar as my main instrument :)

GL!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:21 AM Edited by Slamman, 11 March 2014 - 07:26 AM.

Try many of the awesome guitar instructionals on YouTube, I just stumbled on yet another with Tony Portaro of Whiplash fame, amazingly good melodic Thrash Metal player and he enjoys showing how he does his craft on YouTube instructionals.

Back in the day, was looking at the VHS instruction tapes as well as Audio tape based Metal Method.

I got my NJ BC Rich tuned up super nice, with a not so great licensed Floyd Rose, and once you have all those strings tuned to ring off each other in harmony, it's easy to do slides up and down and have things sound amazing. You can find your speed when things are like that I feel.

To get my guitar better tuned, I loosened the headstock tremolo clamp... I retuned the machine heads on the stock while leveling out the fine tuners for better range near the bridge, the way I like it (preferred flat across the strings).

Before hand I had a helluva time getting the strings exactly the way I thought they should be. Since I bought the guitar, not one string has broken, which astounds me, and it also seems they are mis-matched gauges 

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Alternate picking.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

Once you have all 6 (or more strings) tuned as best as can be expected, picking from the bottom up or down picking as I'm most often doing, either way should sound good. I have a helluva time with various guitars over the years getting that perfect pitch between flat and sharp, even with non-tremolo guitars, one I bought to give as a gift, Les Paul replica, was one of the hardest to enjoy playing, on multiple levels. I'd steer clear of those for sure.

A good, somewhat quality, perhaps expensive guitar is going to inspire you to be the better player and play more often I should think.

A lot of pro players have said that just an inspiring sound from the guitar and backline gets them to enjoy playing even longer.

I got somewhat bored in the past with the sounds or feel of instruments I had, and I think finding the best small amp proved very difficult, but the RX15 Randall is perfect for what it is, there maybe better, but it sounds big and aggressive for such a small combo, and to me in some ways, I think for $40, I can't think of a good trade up, though they offered me a year to trade in and up on the cost of it, I haven't seen anything better around that price, or under $100 usd

Bourjois
  • Bourjois

Life is but a dream

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/  I got this free via torrents, can't find it right now. 

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Guitar sites are more plentiful these days then ever before, getting Tabs as well as song lyrics

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

• *MURDOC* likes this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

Guitar sites are more plentiful these days then ever before, getting Tabs as well as song lyrics

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Thanks I will check these out

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

What really bums me out personally is my DREAM GUITAR USA BICH came up at auction about 2 months back, and I lacked enough money to make a $1000 bid, it sold for less then $850!! DAMMIT

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Don't bother bro, you'll never make it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:19 PM Edited by Slamman, 12 April 2014 - 01:26 PM.

For an import, which I abhor normally, and a lot of NJ BC Riches I still wouldn't collect, I'd been offered money and trade for my Ironbird neck through which is also plain jane black finish, but I declined as this Ironbird is the closest to a USA neck thru handmade as you can get.

Still can Google the image I posted back to this site, which I think is pretty cool

http://i280.photobuc...nbirdcopy-1.jpg

My mid 80s Warlock (original design was Spencer Sercombe's idea ....guitarist for Shark Island) still sounds damned impressive.

I'm not even sure what the formula is, but it has a great neck, just the right locking nut and tremolo condition but I think the vintage pickups must be part of the equation. I've needed to replace the pickups for my white Bich project and I'm still just not sure what I'll wind up with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users